Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tim Sprout[_2_] Tim Sprout[_2_] is offline

Default Static electricity killed my NT5?

I was testing my Rode NT5 for recording by tapping the capsule with my finger
and I felt a static electricity spark when I touched the mic and now the
mic is not working. Did I just kill my NT5? It worked fine my last recording
session. I swapped mic cords and console channels and the problem appears
to be with the NT5 itself.

Tim Sprout
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , Tim Sprout wrote:
I was testing my Rode NT5 for recording by tapping the capsule with my finger
and I felt a static electricity spark when I touched the mic and now the
mic is not working. Did I just kill my NT5? It worked fine my last recording
session. I swapped mic cords and console channels and the problem appears
to be with the NT5 itself.

Sounds like it.

I assume you were tapping the case and did not actually had the grille removed
to touch the capsule, right?

When you make a microphone at a low price point like the NT5, and you're trying
to get it to sound as good as possible, you start leaving off a lot of things
that you might have at a higher price point, like protection diodes and clamps.

It's likely not a difficult repair job, send it in. And get a humidifier,
it will not only prevent this sort of thing but also make pianos and guitars
happier.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message news
In article , Tim Sprout
wrote:
[...]

OT:
Humidifiers don't really work well with pianos. Pianos need systems that
will humidify and de-humidify when needed, preventing extreme expansion and
contraction. (Think of the cake on the Little
Rascals....weee.....woooooo.....weee......woooooo. ....that's what a piano
goes thru with each humidity level change.

Dampp-Chasers© are the only thing that will help a piano combat changes in
humidity.
I've been installing them for 30+ years and highly recommend them over any
room humidifier.

Poly

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 27/03/2017 8:21 a.m., polymod wrote:

I assume you were tapping the case and did not actually had the grille
removed
to touch the capsule, right?

When you make a microphone at a low price point like the NT5, and
you're trying
to get it to sound as good as possible, you start leaving off a lot of
things
that you might have at a higher price point, like protection diodes
and clamps.

Dunno if NT5 has clamping diodes or not, but they don't generally skimp,
and it would presumably add less that $1 to the manufacturing cost.

There are presumably some static discharges that nothing normal would
protect !

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/26/2017 8:12 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article , Tim Sprout wrote:
[...]

--scott

Yes, I was tapping the case, the grille was not removed. I have put in a service
request to RODE. This mic has a ten year warranty. Neither the cardioid or omni
capsule work so I assume I will send in the mic body.

Thanks Scott and everyone for the helpful replies.

Tim never to repeat this mistake Sprout

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article , Tim Sprout wrote:
Yes, I was tapping the case, the grille was not removed. I have put in a service
request to RODE. This mic has a ten year warranty. Neither the cardioid or omni
capsule work so I assume I will send in the mic body.

The truth is, you really can't protect the input stage of the mike (except
by using a tube instead of a fet), but there's a lot you can do to keep static
from getting to the input stage. Unfortunately, the Rode skips some of those
things, and it's maybe academic since nothing can help when the capsule itself
is off (or being replaced).

Thanks Scott and everyone for the helpful replies.

Tim never to repeat this mistake Sprout

This is what warranties are for! Rode has a good one and they are very good
about support!