Car Audio

Old June 5th 16, 04:51 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Gary Eickmeier

Default Car Audio

Just got a little subwoofer for the new car (Prius V) that is worth telling
about. It is the Powerbass BTA8, an 8 inch woofer in a nice carpeted
enclosure with amp and connections.

http://www.amazon.com/Powerbass-BTA8...bwoofer+8+inch

The concept is a new car with upgrade JBL speaker system, but is anemic in
the bass. Sometimes they (carsound junkies) rip out the old and put in a
whole new system, but I knew I didn't need that, because with the addition
of a reasonable sub I should be able to fill in the bottom end nicely
without the need to shake the shingles off the houses as I drive by. And I
was right. The sound is 100% improved - I can hear the bass frequencies and
the imaging is the same, seeming to come from up front with the new hoeft
and solidity that I was looking for. The thing has adjustments for gain,
crossover point, and low freq EQ, which means how much boost at 40 Hz. The
crossover can be set anywhere from 40 to 250, and the unit is supposed to go
down to 35 Hz. I have set it to around 200 so that it might fill in more of
the freqs that rattle my JBL speakers, which I had boosted with the 3 band
equalizer on the head unit. I was right on this too, because now it can play
the Delos bass decade track with no rattling and get down to about 40 OK.

Anyway, nice little boost to the quality of the entire system by just
enhancing the bottom end. Best car system I have had now for about 23 years.

Gary Eickmeier

Old June 5th 16, 08:17 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 5/06/2016 3:51 PM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
> Just got a little subwoofer for the new car (Prius V) that is worth
> telling about. It is the Powerbass BTA8, an 8 inch woofer in a nice
> carpeted enclosure with amp and connections.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Powerbass-BTA8...bwoofer+8+inch
>
> The concept is a new car with upgrade JBL speaker system, but is
> anemic in the bass.

I can vouch for that approach being a vast improvement in car audio
sound quality, and for one's aural health.

With regular, even high quality, car speakers, there is usually just
totally inadequate bass output. And in order to hear some bass the
listening level is ofetn cranked higher than is good for you.

Even a small sub can fill things out nand/or distortion from amp or drivers.

This is the one I got, which is active, very low profile, and can run
either from speaker lines or from a dedicated car-stereo amp sub output.

http://www.jaycar.co.nz/Sight-%26-So...oofer/p/CS2286

Old June 5th 16, 01:53 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Gary Eickmeier > wrote:
> Just got a little subwoofer for the new car (Prius V) that is worth telling
>about. It is the Powerbass BTA8, an 8 inch woofer in a nice carpeted
>enclosure with amp and connections.

PLEASE take these discussions to rec.audio.car which is specifically for
that.

Old June 5th 16, 06:26 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Gary Eickmeier

"geoff" > wrote in message
> On 5/06/2016 3:51 PM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
>> Just got a little subwoofer for the new car (Prius V) that is worth
>> telling about. It is the Powerbass BTA8, an 8 inch woofer in a nice
>> carpeted enclosure with amp and connections.
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Powerbass-BTA8...bwoofer+8+inch
>>
>> The concept is a new car with upgrade JBL speaker system, but is
>> anemic in the bass.

> I can vouch for that approach being a vast improvement in car audio sound
> quality, and for one's aural health.
>
> With regular, even high quality, car speakers, there is usually just
> totally inadequate bass output. And in order to hear some bass the
> listening level is ofetn cranked higher than is good for you.
>
> Even a small sub can fill things out nand/or distortion from amp or
> drivers.
>
> This is the one I got, which is active, very low profile, and can run
> either from speaker lines or from a dedicated car-stereo amp sub output.
>
> http://www.jaycar.co.nz/Sight-%26-So...oofer/p/CS2286
>

> geoff

YES I saw that one a little too late and wondered if it was any good. But
like you say, it doesn't take much, just fill in the blanks at the bottom
and it seems to upgrade the entire system and not sound like a table radio
any more.

Gary

Old June 5th 16, 06:27 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Gary Eickmeier

"Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message
> Gary Eickmeier > wrote:
>> Just got a little subwoofer for the new car (Prius V) that is worth
>> telling
>>about. It is the Powerbass BTA8, an 8 inch woofer in a nice carpeted
>>enclosure with amp and connections.

> PLEASE take these discussions to rec.audio.car which is specifically for
> that.
> --scott

Good idea! Didn't know about them specifically...

Gary

Old June 5th 16, 09:37 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil[_2_]

On 05 Jun 2016, geoff > wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

> Even a small sub can fill things out nand/or distortion from amp
> or drivers.
>
> This is the one I got, which is active, very low profile, and can
> run either from speaker lines or from a dedicated car-stereo amp
> sub output.
>
> http://www.jaycar.co.nz/Sight-%26-So...oofer/p/CS2286

Something like this might work for me - I don't think I have any
place to put a sub like Gary has in my Mercury Grand Marquis. I
could definitely use more bass.
Old June 5th 16, 11:49 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sunday, June 5, 2016 at 4:37:22 PM UTC-4, Nil wrote:
> On 05 Jun 2016, geoff <offwood.org> wrote in
> rec.audio.pro:
>
> > Even a small sub can fill things out nand/or distortion from amp
> > or drivers.
> >
> > This is the one I got, which is active, very low profile, and can
> > run either from speaker lines or from a dedicated car-stereo amp
> > sub output.
> >
> > http://www.jaycar.co.nz/Sight-%26-So...oofer/p/CS2286

> Something like this might work for me - I don't think I have any
> place to put a sub like Gary has in my Mercury Grand Marquis. I
> could definitely use more bass.

________________

????

A Grand Marquis has its own ZIP CODE
compared to a dinky Prius! You could
own up to a 2-mile radius with what
should fit in that full-sized trunk.

Old June 6th 16, 01:45 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 6/06/2016 12:53 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Gary Eickmeier > wrote:
>> Just got a little subwoofer for the new car (Prius V) that is worth telling
>> about. It is the Powerbass BTA8, an 8 inch woofer in a nice carpeted
>> enclosure with amp and connections.

> PLEASE take these discussions to rec.audio.car which is specifically for
> that.
> --scott

Narrowmindedness unworthy of you Scot - information that many in our
field just might find very useful. Else we might all end up with a 3kHz
notch. Far more relevant that much of the discussion here of late.

Old June 6th 16, 01:58 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA

On Sunday, June 5, 2016 at 8:45:22 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
> On 6/06/2016 12:53 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> > Gary Eickmeier > wrote:
> >> Just got a little subwoofer for the new car (Prius V) that is worth telling
> >> about. It is the Powerbass BTA8, an 8 inch woofer in a nice carpeted
> >> enclosure with amp and connections.

> > PLEASE take these discussions to rec.audio.car which is specifically for
> > that.
> > --scott
> >

> Narrowmindedness unworthy of you Scot - information that many in our
> field just might find very useful. Else we might all end up with a 3kHz
> notch. Far more relevant that much of the discussion here of late.

You, sir, are one jealous SOB.

But, I agree with you, this topic is ON TOPIC for this, ahem, group.

Jack :-)