Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron C[_2_] Ron C[_2_] is offline

Default Anybody having same problems with Behringer mixers?

On 7/30/2013 4:46 PM, geoff wrote:
wrote in message
Someone in the know sends out a memo with the code number, and the
technican

inspects the chip to see if it has that marking.

That's why I emailed Behringer twice with description of the problem and
the question if the chip problem was identified and fixed. Got only
auto-responce: "Send the unit in repair center".

So maybe that's what you should do then.

geoff

I'm thinking it suggests there is no commonly reported
problem with those symptoms, or there may be more
than one potential cause.
Thing is, these are low cost units that aren't designed
with service in mind.
==
Later...
Ron Capik
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Bob Quintal wrote:
" wrote in

I did re-solder the joints all around processor area in my
original unit (the one I bought used). Didn't help. Also the
problem always disappears (at least for a while) every time I
re-boot FX processor by holding down FX select knob on power up
(Technician recommendation). That strongly indicates chip internal
problem that has nothing to do with solder joints.

Or maybe a problem with the power going to the chip that causes the
ic to oscillate.
Have you checked the filter capacitors near the microcircuit?

Or. as he says Behringer have now asked him to do, put the whole lot
into a box and sent it back for them to fix.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:
wrote in message
Behringer offered help AFTER I uploaded the video.
Before that I didn't get much response from them. And they even closed the
thread on the subject I put up on their users forum.
http://forum.behringer.com/showthrea...-with-RX1202FX

I wonder why ....

I can see why they closed the thread. It's a shame we can't do the same
here.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Chuck wrote:

There was one Behringer unit from the bad electrolyte days that I
looked at that had over 50 bad electrolytics. It went into the trash.

With a desoldering tool, I can do 50 bad electrolytics in two hours easy.

I recapped an entire Interface console in a day. I was cramped and sore
but it sounded great.

The desoldering tool is worth every penny. It will pay for itself in
one job like that. It doesn't work any better than a Soldapulit but
it sure works a lot faster.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"Les Cargill" wrote in message
Mike Rivers wrote:
On 7/29/2013 8:15 AM, Les Cargill wrote:
Software isn't intermittent.
Yes, it is. Frequently.

No, it isn't. The environment is intermittent.

*Sigh* Software can be, and frequently is intermittent.
Trust me on this...

The code is not intermittent, only the causal triggers vary making it appear
intermittent.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

wrote in message
Dah..........
And how exactly bad solder joint can cause EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM in 4
different units?

It's called automatic fabrication. Poor solder masks can easily lead to
consistantly bad solder joints.
(I'm Not saying that is the most likely cause however.)

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
This is the absolute cheapest bargain basement gear. You should be
pleased
that it works at all given how cheaply it is made.

Exactly, but I do give credit to Behringer for selling their cheaply made
gear cheaply, rather than charging more money for cheaply made gear as some
other manufacturers do. Especially so before Behrenger entered the SR market
and forced the bottom end prices down, thus making them affordable for the
occasional user.
As I always say, you can only guarantee you get what you pay for at the
bottom. Higher quality always costs more, but paying more is no guarantee of
higher quality unfortunately.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message
Then contemplate buying a Neve instead, you may gain a little perspective.

Yes, the owners of Behringer mixers can obviously afford Neve instead :-)

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
This may be different on modern digital consoles (which have their own set
of problems) but every mixer that I've known about that has a built-in
effect unit has been compromised in one way or another. They want to add
this feature for people who want it, but they don't want to make the mixer
any more expensive because of it.

Funny, the Behringer mixers with FX all cost more than the equivalent models
without FX. Most of low range have the choice, and you gain absolutely
nothing but a cost saving by opting out.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 7/31/2013 2:14 AM, Trevor wrote:

Funny, the Behringer mixers with FX all cost more than the equivalent models
without FX. Most of low range have the choice, and you gain absolutely
nothing but a cost saving by opting out.

Yes, that is funny. Most companies that make mixers don't have nearly as
many products in their mixer line as Behringer does. I guess that the
way they build 'em, it's not difficult to punch a couple more holes in
the chassis, stick in an FX chip, and charge a little more than the same
design without FX. They go the other way, too, putting the same X-32
mixer guts in several different packages differing only by the number
and type of input and output connectors, number of knobs, and display.
It's a good approach to being able to satisfy a wide range of customers
without having a large number of individual designs.

Mackie, on the other hand, doesn't have a 1640i with a built in effect
processor. They expect that you'll want to choose your own so they don't
make you spend your money on theirs. If you want a mixer with built-in
effects, you need to get one from the ProFX series which, like
Behringer's, is designated "pro."

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article , Trevor wrote:
"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message
Then contemplate buying a Neve instead, you may gain a little perspective.

Yes, the owners of Behringer mixers can obviously afford Neve instead :-)

You can buy one console that will last fifty years or you can buy fifty
consoles that last one year....

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article , Mike Rivers wrote:
Yes, that is funny. Most companies that make mixers don't have nearly as
many products in their mixer line as Behringer does. I guess that the
way they build 'em, it's not difficult to punch a couple more holes in
the chassis, stick in an FX chip, and charge a little more than the same
design without FX. They go the other way, too, putting the same X-32
mixer guts in several different packages differing only by the number
and type of input and output connectors, number of knobs, and display.
It's a good approach to being able to satisfy a wide range of customers
without having a large number of individual designs.

Bingo. Some of the companies doing this sort of thing (and I don't know if
Behringer is in that category) sell multiple products with different feature
sets and sometimes even totally different functions, which mostly differ in
software. Swap out the ROM, and your equalizer turns into a compressor....

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] ssmusic214@gmail.com is offline

On Wednesday, July 31, 2013 7:48:28 AM UTC-5, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article , Trevor wrote:

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message

Then contemplate buying a Neve instead, you may gain a little perspective.

Yes, the owners of Behringer mixers can obviously afford Neve instead :-)

You can buy one console that will last fifty years or you can buy fifty

consoles that last one year....

Which console will last 50 years if you drag it around on the live gigs at 5 times a week avrg?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] ssmusic214@gmail.com is offline

On Tuesday, July 30, 2013 3:42:38 PM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
wrote in message

I tried it every possible way. Nothing that I do in mixer section has any

effect on FX processor. And there is no way to route FX anywhere. FX

processor is hard wired to Mains/Control room. There is only SOLO button

that lets you listen FX only on Control outs. It has no effect on the

problem.

I'd suggest you send it/them in and get them fixed. Or throw them away and

get something else.

What do you hope to acheive by continuing your seemingly increasingly

pointless crusade here ?

geoff

What crusade? I am doing great service to gigging musicians warning potential buyers about design defect.
And there is no need to throw them away. Mixes section works pretty good for the $$. Clean, quiet, not even noisy pots and sliders typical for Behringer. Still make good versatile submixers.
But spending more money on shipping and repairs than what I payed for the unit is not very bright idea.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 7/31/2013 10:33 AM, wrote:

Which console will last 50 years if you drag it around on the live gigs at 5 times a week avrg?

None of them will if you drag them around carelessly and without
protection, just about any one will if you take care of it. But that was
really a rhetorical question since most bands won't last 50 years being
dragged around on live gigs five days a week. But other than those who
choose disposable mixers like your Behringer, most people who buy
quality equipment can use it until it no longer meets their needs, and
then sell it as a working unit rather than throw it away.

The good part about using a disposable mixer is that you know exactly
how much it will cost, though you may not know how long it will last. A
mixer that can go for 50 years will likely require some service within
the time you're using it, and that adds to the cost. If you buy a $200
mixer and throw it away after a year, it costs you $200/year. If you buy
a $4,000 mixer and need a couple of $250 repairs over 10 years life,
after which you can re-sell it for $2,500, it costs you the same
$200/year, but you have a better mixer to work with over that whole time
period.

And how come a musician (you?) who plays five nights a week can't afford
anything better than a Behringer mixer?

--
For a good time, call
http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 7/31/2013 8:51 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Bingo. Some of the companies doing this sort of thing (and I don't know if
Behringer is in that category) sell multiple products with different feature
sets and sometimes even totally different functions, which mostly differ in
software. Swap out the ROM, and your equalizer turns into a compressor....

I tried for three years to get PreSonus to make a different version of
the StudioLive software that would make it a much more usable studio
console, but they seem to be selling as many as they want as it is. And
honestly, I'm not sure how good an investment in a different software
version would be since the market for studio consoles is small while the
market for live sound consoles is still strong.

They could sell a lot more of them to studios, though, if they were able
to make it work as a DAW control surface. It seems like they have all
the building blocks since there's a bi-directional control application
for it - move a fader on the console and it moves a fader on the
on-screen graphic. Seems like they could use that same data stream to
generate MIDI continuous control messages, or even better, translate
them to HUI, and send that on to the DAW through the same Firewire cable
that sends the digital audio data. But then I"m not the marketing
department, and they're the ones who figure out what to sell.

The live sound people now want motorized faders so they can see where
the faders are audio-wise when they recall a scene instead of using the
present clumsy "zero the fader while you have a chance" system. Putting
in motorized faders would be a big jump in cost, but they could take a
lesson for how faders are zeroed in non-moving-fader automated consoles,
but noooooooo, they like it the way it is.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wednesday, July 31, 2013 12:02:26 PM UTC-5, Mike Rivers wrote:

[...]

I buy what I need. Not what I can afford. And My 10+ year old Behringer UB222FX still doing fine with a little maintenance I did myself.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
What crusade? I am doing great service to gigging musicians warning potential buyers about design defect.
And there is no need to throw them away. Mixes section works pretty good for the $$. Clean, quiet, not even noisy pots and sliders typical for Behringer. Still make good versatile submixers.
But spending more money on shipping and repairs than what I payed for the unit is not very bright idea.

Your apparent crusade to get people to stop buying Behringer gear,
apparently because a small sample of one model of mixer show up with the
same problem, which Behringer have asked for your co-operation in
fixing, in order that changes may be made to stop is happening again.

*That* crusade.

Anyone who's been offered and refused a free of charge out of warranty
repair on a defective unit and turned it down is, according to my
thinking, crazy or stupid.

Put it in a box and send it back to Behringer. Then they can investigate
and find out whether it's a design flaw, a bad batch of chips, a bad
batch of boards or something totally different, Coming onto usenet and
whining that *in your opinion* there's a design fault, but you're not
willing to let the maker investigate the problem, is futile and not in
your interest if you are trying to prove yourself to be a credible poster.

For your information, this is not a Google Group, but is a usenet group
that Google present through an inferior interface, which is often used
by those with little comprehension of how things work.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sunday, July 28, 2013 1:20:48 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Anybody having same problems with Behringer mixers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ddwGDdhTdY

please post.

Crazy and Stupid is anybody who thinks that technician in repair center is going to spent hours on your unit waiting for intermittent problem to show up. I sent units with intermittent problems to Akai and Rolland without any results. I did emailed Behringer twice with question about design flow and got only auto-response. In the mean time I would have to cancel the gigs or to buy another unit.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

John Williamson wrote:

seriouslysadmusic214 wrote:
[...]

Hold your calls, folks; we have our winning post.

http://hankandshaidrimusic.com/
http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

On Sunday, July 28, 2013 1:20:48 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Anybody having same problems with Behringer mixers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ddwGDdhTdY

please post.

Crazy and Stupid is anybody who thinks that technician in repair
center is going to spent hours on your unit waiting for intermittent
problem to show up. I sent units with intermittent problems to Akai
and Rolland without any results. I did emailed Behringer twice with
question about design flow and got only auto-response. In the mean
time I would have to cancel the gigs or to buy another unit.

Now you are lying by omission, you previously told us that the response was
a request for you to send the defective unit in for repairs. That you didn't
do. So get it done and stop whining.

If some hardware is mission critical then you a) do not buy "toy grade" or
"weekend warrior grade" and b) take care that you have sufficiant redundancy
to ensure that hardware failure does not render you unable to do a promised
job. The design flaw that matters is that you designed you rig
incompetently. It is not Behringers fault that you would have had to cancel
jobs because of sending defective hardware in for warranty repair, it is
your, your only.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:06:17 PM UTC-5, Peter Larsen wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Where did you extrapolated all that nonsense from?
I said I received standard auto-response saying send the unit to service center.
And if you know of any better unit that suits my needs, name it. Don't just blabber off your mouth.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Thread Ender Thread Ender is offline

This thread is now ended.

--
The Thread Ender (Usenet Moderator)

TE

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
Where did you extrapolated all that nonsense from?
I said I received standard auto-response saying send the unit to service center.
And if you know of any better unit that suits my needs, name it. Don't just blabber off your mouth.

The user forum thread you linked to up there ^^ (The one you claim they
closed) contains a very positive response from a Behringer employee
asking you to send the units back to them for further investigation and
as part of their quality control program. This was not a "auto
response", but a reasoned, reasonable request from a concerned person at
the company. When you refused their assistance, *that's* when they
closed the discussion.

Mr. Larsen is correct in one thing though. If you consider an item of
gear to be mission critical, then you carry *at least* one spare. If you
can't afford to do it right, then don't do it.

In the meantime, work out your requirements, post a message detailing
them here either in this thread or as a new one, and if you haven't
annoyed too many people here, you may well get a recommendation based on
personal experience. Of course, the chances are you won't like it,
because it will involve truly professional gear with a price to match,
but if you can't afford to do it right (a) don't bother, or (b) increase
your rates until you *can* afford to do it right, bearing in mind that
quality gear will last longer, so may well cost you less *per gig* than
the cheap, unreliable stuff, even ignoring the costs of cancelled gigs.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
gareth magennis gareth magennis is offline

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message ...

wrote:
On Wednesday, July 31, 2013 10:02:52 AM UTC-5, Scott Dorsey wrote:
wrote:

I know someone who has been doing that with a Tapco of all things. She's
up to nearly 40 years now. It's had new caps and a bunch of new pots,
but
it's still the same Tapco.

I think 90% of the reason for this is that the Tapco controls are not
directly board-mounted.

Tapco is low end line of Mackie. Does Mackie lasts even more than that? I
have 15 year old Mackie 32-8, but it never left the studio.

I would be worried about the current Mackies because the controls are board
mounted, so if there is stress on the panel or the frame it is apt to damage
the controls. The advantage of the old Tapcos is that the whole frame can
flex without damage. A lot of older mixers were built that way, but it's
much more expensive than putting everything on the board because it requires
hand assembly. So you will only find that sort of construction on more
expensive products today.
--scott

Here's a series to avoid in that respect:

http://sales.adlibsolutions.co.uk/ya...n&currency=GBP

For some unfathomable reason, Yamaha elected to fit knobs on this mixer
series that were a smaller diameter than the holes punched in the top panel.
Since all the pots are PCB mounted in groups of 6 channels, that means that
pressure or a blow to the top surface forces all the knobs through the top
panel, breaking the PCB's.

I have seen a few of these catastophes now, and still scratch my head,
wondering what on earth Yamaha were thinking.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 7/31/2013 4:58 PM, Gareth Magennis wrote:

For some unfathomable reason, Yamaha elected to fit knobs on this mixer
series that were a smaller diameter than the holes punched in the top
panel.
Since all the pots are PCB mounted in groups of 6 channels, that means
that pressure or a blow to the top surface forces all the knobs through
the top panel, breaking the PCB's.

You can break anything if you try hard enough. I once repaired a
Soundcraft 200 mixer that had some intermittent channels. The problem
turned out to be that on a few modules, the put mounting lugs had
sheared. Each channel was on a module with the circuit board
perpendicular to the top panel. The pots were mounted to the board with
solder lugs and nuts through the top panel of the module, so the pots
couldn't go anywhere if the mixer took a hit on the knobs. But the only
thing holding the circuit board in place was the pot lugs (leads). I
suspect that what happened was that someone dropped the console on its
back, the case stopped when the back hit the deck, but the board tried
to keep moving and broke off a couple of the mounting leads in the
process. This wasn't a cheap mixer, but still, you're not supposed to
drop it.

Was this a design defect? Some would call it that, others would just say
it was a case of bad luck and extreme mishandling.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 7/31/2013 2:44 PM, wrote:

Crazy and Stupid is anybody who thinks that technician in repair
center is going to spent hours on your unit waiting for intermittent
problem to show up.

If there are enough of the same intermittent, it's only good business to
find out why it's occurring. As many have said, it's likely to be a
manufacturing process gone wrong that can be corrected, or maybe already
has been corrected.

Probably what they'd do is not wait around to repair your mixer, but
rather send you a new or refurbished one to get you going again as
quickly as possible. Then if they want to assign your mixer to a
technician and let him spend months with it, that's their business.
Behringer has a HUGE facility in China and they could easily do that.

Did anyone contact you with shipping information yet? Ask them to send
you a prepaid shipping label. I'm sure they'd do it.

I did emailed Behringer twice with
question about design flow and got only auto-response.

That's not the kind of question that companies like Behringer answer.
But it sounds like you're refusing the help that they've offered you on
the assumption that they won't pay for shipping. As Fletcher used to
say: "Our motto- We're not happy until you're not happy."

--
For a good time, call
http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 7/31/2013 3:46 PM, Thread Ender wrote:

This thread is now ended.

No, it isn't.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[...]

Yes, but the Yamaha can be destroyed simply by someone with a fat arse
sitting on it, the 200B would not even notice.
This sometimes happens in the back of a van.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Gareth Magennis wrote:

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message ...

I would be worried about the current Mackies because the controls are
board mounted, so if there is stress on the panel or the frame it is
apt to damage the controls.

The 1202 I have is built so that the knobs are very close to the panel, the
manual specifically points out that it is done with the objective of
protecting the pcb.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Gareth Magennis wrote:

For some unfathomable reason, Yamaha elected to fit knobs on this mixer
series that were a smaller diameter than the holes punched in the top panel.
Since all the pots are PCB mounted in groups of 6 channels, that means that
pressure or a blow to the top surface forces all the knobs through the top
panel, breaking the PCB's.

I have seen a few of these catastophes now, and still scratch my head,
wondering what on earth Yamaha were thinking.

Maybe they hired the same people who designed those Alesis consoles with
the resistive elements deposited on the main board....

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron C[_2_] Ron C[_2_] is offline

On 7/31/2013 5:24 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 7/31/2013 3:46 PM, Thread Ender wrote:

This thread is now ended.

No, it isn't.

Hell the discussion hasn't even gotten close to Godwin's Rule.

==
Later...
Ron Capik