Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default Expensive guitars

I got to see one of the most expensive electric guitars (new) ever
built. It was an Alembic made in the mid 1980s with the cable powered
internal electrics, LED side markers, and an incredible array of woods
including osage orange, holly, ebony and zebrawood. It was about the
same weight as a 70s Les Paul and had an extra wide fretboard, so much
so that I thought it had been initially made as a seven string, but
there was no sign of any modification.

I got to plug it in to its specially made preamp/ power supply
(though compatible with the regular Alembic one, with which it was
also supplied) with WE tubes including one of the rare ones made to go
into submarine cables and P&G sliders. The Alembic hardware was
heavily plated with white gold and the bridge saddles were titanium,
which back in the early 80s was still exotic stuff.

How did it sound? Well, I was prepared to hate it, because these
hippie sandwich guitars were seemingly half glue and a sign of the
excesses of an earlier day. But...but...the truth is, it sounded
****ing great. Running out of the custom pre into the FX return of a
silverface modded Fender Twin Reverb with Celestions, it did
everything any Les Paul would do only ten times better. You could go
from a REAl Les Paul, the man himself, low impedance steel guitar
clean to Jimmy Page, ZZ Top, everything. Using the regular supply we
plugged it into an AC30,and again, it was fantastic.

The guitar is for sale, and the guy wants six grand. I have to admit,
IF I was going to pay that for a guitar, this would be the one, hands
down. Alembic would get probably $20,000 or more to duplicate and
that's without the preamp. Resale isn't a strong point of Alembics,
particularly guitars (basses do better.)

I'm not guitar player enough to give this thing the home it deserves
and coming up with the dough would be tough right now..Besides, the
neck is too wide for me, and taking it down would be out of the
question. But I have to say, that's a hell of a guitar.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article
,
Bret L wrote:

had an extra wide fretboard,

I don't play electric, but I really want a Grtetsch 6120-1959
http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/i...1959&cat1=&cat
2=&q=&st=1

It has a 1 3/4" nut, which I really like. 1 3/4" is kind of de rigueur
in my solo acoustic world, as the smidge of extra width gives one extra
room for "working" the tone and getting around. My best acoustic is 1
13/16 which is even better for me.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
pyjamarama pyjamarama is offline

On Nov 11, 1:40*am, Bret L wrote:
[...]

Cool. I've never had the opportunity to see one up close, let alone
play one.

I have to say after reading your "review" that I'm thankful I remain
cured of GAS (three years and counting).

After picking up an amazing 2001 Gibby J-50 and a Fender Custom Shop
'60 Strat relic (yeah, I know -- but man!) just weeks apart I checked
myself into rehab.

Unfortunately the clinic was just a block away from the Guitar Center
on Sunset Blvd., which is next door to Vintage Gear Hollywood, which
is across the street from the Mesa and Carvin factory stores.

Speaking of Guitar Center, the Pasadena store has a "used" Andy
Summers Tele replica in the Vault for about 5 large (retailed at
$15,000, I think). Bucker in the neck, brass saddles and a toggle-
switch phase-shift mod.

Played like margarine.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article
,
pyjamarama wrote:

Cool. I've never had the opportunity to see one up close, let alone
play one.

I have to say after reading your "review" that I'm thankful I remain
cured of GAS (three years and counting).

The only long-term treatment for GAS is FART: frequent application of
retail transactions.

After picking up an amazing 2001 Gibby J-50 and a Fender Custom Shop
'60 Strat relic (yeah, I know -- but man!) just weeks apart I checked
myself into rehab.

Unfortunately the clinic was just a block away from the Guitar Center
on Sunset Blvd., which is next door to Vintage Gear Hollywood, which
is across the street from the Mesa and Carvin factory stores.

That's a great couple of blocks, isn't it? It used to be even better,
IMO. A couple of hundred feet up the small street that runs between GC
and VG used to be a place called Voltage Guitars, and before that,
something like American Guitars. Voltage has since moved to the valley.
It was great in Hollywood, but even better in the 80s and 90s when it
was American or All American. Rows of great condition 60s Gretsch, for
example. I used to sit in there for hours and play, 7-8 times a year.
Next door to that location is now a very good vintage wind and brass
shop.

It's fun to go to GC on Sunset sometimes, but usually it holds no
interest for me. Once in a while, there will be a great pre-war Martin
or something. Mostly I go there now for recording gear and live-sound
stuff.

Speaking of Guitar Center, the Pasadena store has a "used" Andy
Summers Tele replica in the Vault for about 5 large (retailed at
$15,000, I think). Bucker in the neck, brass saddles and a toggle-
switch phase-shift mod.

Played like margarine.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
pyjamarama pyjamarama is offline

On Nov 15, 1:57*pm, Jenn wrote:
In article
,

*pyjamarama wrote:
[...]

Another great LA hotspot is Santa Monica Blvd @ Westwood (approx). Up
until a few months ago I kept my office near there and it occurred to
me that within a couple of miles you could hit no fewer than 5
authorized Gibson retailers: Westwood Music, West LA Music, Trutone,
the Guitar Center on Pico and last and definitely least, Best Buy,
also on Pico. I was jonesing for a SJ-200 Jumbo and all 5 stores had
at least one on their respective walls.

I can't imagine Best Buy's actually selling many $3000+ guitars; then
again, I doubt Trutone could move washing machines.

Which begs the question, is a clothesline an acoustic dryer?

It's fun to go to GC on Sunset sometimes, but usually it holds no
interest for me. *Once in a while, there will be a great pre-war Martin
or something. *Mostly I go there now for recording gear and live-sound
stuff.

Guitar Center, particularly the Sunset store, has really picked up
their game lately with regard to used and vintage guitars -- big
inventory and fairly priced. Although mostly Gibson acoustics and
Fender electrics, I've seen a handful of decent Martins on display
there. Played a really nice '72 D-18 just last month. 70's anything
are usually heavy and boxy sounding but this one had magic.

Bought a Blue Baby Bottle condenser mic the same day -- very
impressive piece of gear. I'm running it through an M Box 2 mini into
an iMac using Pro Tools 8.

Speaking of Guitar Center, the Pasadena store has a "used" Andy
Summers Tele replica in the Vault for about 5 large (retailed at
$15,000, I think). *Bucker in the neck, brass saddles and a toggle-
switch phase-shift mod.

Played like margarine.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
John Atkinson[_2_] John Atkinson[_2_] is offline

On Nov 15, 4:34*pm, pyjamarama wrote:
After picking up an amazing 2001 Gibby J-50 and a Fender Custom
Shop '60 Strat relic (yeah, I know -- but man!) just weeks apart I
checked myself into rehab.

Unfortunately the clinic was just a block away from the Guitar Center
on Sunset Blvd., which is next door to Vintage Gear Hollywood, which
is across the street from the Mesa and Carvin factory stores.

:-)

You don't hear much about Carvin. My favorite bass is a
semi-acoustic fretless Carvin: see
http://forum.stereophile.com/photopo....php/photo/606 .
I have a Fender P-Bass and a Rickenbacker 4001, but
the Carvin is perfectly balanced, has a great sound
(with a piezo pickup, no less), and allows me to be
maximally expressive. Only drag is that if I can't
hear myself well at the gig, I can't play in-tune. :-(

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

semi-acoustic fretless Carvin: seehttp://forum.stereophile.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/606.
I have a Fender P-Bass and a Rickenbacker 4001, but
the Carvin is perfectly balanced, has a great sound
(with a piezo pickup, no less), and allows me to be
maximally expressive. Only drag is that if I can't
hear myself well at the gig, I can't play in-tune. :-(

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Very nice! Carvin has always been a factory-direct company, so they
don't get the exposure accorded the major retail brands.

With that said, they're priced about half of what you'd expect based
on material and construction. A friend of mine swears by his double-
cutaway Carvin California-carved electric guitar, and I have to say it
compares very favorably to a top-of-the-line PRS (which it most
closely resembles) in build and playability.

In fact, change the headstock and put bird inlays on the neck and
you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference. And I think his Carvin
cost him $1299 or thereabouts, whereas a PRS would set you back a cool
3K or more.

For my taste, I thought his Carvin played a bit too smooth -- I cut my
teeth on Fender strats/teles and I'm used to that "fight" you get from
them.

I'll have to make it a point to check them out at Winter NAMM.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article
,
pyjamarama wrote:

I'll have to make it a point to check them out at Winter NAMM.

See you there!
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Speaking of Guitar Center, the Pasadena store has a "used" Andy
Summers Tele replica in the Vault for about 5 large (retailed at
$15,000, I think). *Bucker in the neck, brass saddles and a toggle-
switch phase-shift mod.

Bizarrely enough the OP store has exactly the same guitar at exactly
the same price, also exactly as used. Both probably really are sold as
used just to save face in discounting.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

You don't hear much about Carvin.

How would you react (professionally) to a high end audio vendor that
sold direct and advertised rarely??

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Very nice! Carvin has always been a factory-direct company, so they
don't get the exposure accorded the major retail brands.

With that said, they're priced about half of what you'd expect based
on material and construction. *A friend of mine swears by his double-
cutaway Carvin California-carved electric guitar, and I have to say it
compares very favorably to a top-of-the-line PRS (which it most
closely resembles) in build and playability.

I've seen a lot of five and ten year old Carvins with neck issues,
which neither Carvin nor anyone else will fix. Many guitar repairmen
in stores will not touch a Carvin on principle.

I bought a Tele with a Carvin pickup cheap once because someone came
in trying to sell one in a music store I was shopping at once. The
manager told him he'd buy it if he paid him to change the pickup out
since the store had a strict policy of not trading in Carvin
merchandise. I discreetly headed out when he left and bought it at a
very good price. I was banned from the store some time after that
(the seller told the dealer what happened the next time he was in) but
they folded shortly thereafter. That manager now works at a Borders
bookstore close to where I live and I still **** with him constantly.
He's a rank and file clerk.

Carvin PA gear is about like Peavey, durable but not the best
sounding.

I like Carvin best for their pickups and other supplies. Their guitar
speakers aren't a bad deal either. The guitars are pretty and play
well when new, but they are finished in heavy polyurethane (SCAQMD!!!)
and as I say at least a certain percentage do go bad.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Nov 18, 11:25*am, Bret L wrote:
You don't hear much about Carvin.

*How would you react (professionally) *to a high end audio vendor that
sold direct and advertised rarely??

A random scan of my Guitar World magazines 2002-to-present finds a
four-color, full page Carvin ad in every issue...

Joe Walsh (Carvin spokesman) is staring back at me as I write this...

And life's been good to him (so far).
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

mr. jammies sucks up to Bratzi.

And life's been good to him (so far).

Good one, pjyie. Brattie loves random song lyrics. He'll probably come back
at you with a Brian Wilson line.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
pyjamarama pyjamarama is offline

On Nov 18, 2:00*pm, George M. Middius
wrote:

Middius twitches again...

mr. jammies sucks up to Bratzi.

A poster claims Carvin advertises rarely -- I demonstrate otherwise
and to you this is somehow "sucking up?"

What color is the sky in your little world?

And life's been good to him (so far).

Good one, pjyie. Brattie loves random song lyrics.

It wasn't "random" -- I quoted a Joe Walsh lyric because I previously
referenced Joe Walsh as a Carvin spokesman.

You don't know what "random" means, either?

He'll probably come back
at you with a Brian Wilson line.

Why?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

mr. jammies swats at the big pink Martian dragonflies that swirl around his
head day and night.

He'll probably come back at you with a Brian Wilson line.

Why?

Don't pick at your scab, pyjie. Follow Doctor's orders.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
pyjamarama pyjamarama is offline

On Nov 18, 4:16*pm, George M. Middius
wrote:

Middius twitches violently...

"mr. jammies swats at the big pink Martian dragonflies that swirl
around his head day and night."

Um...okay...

This condition you suffer from, does it hurt?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

mr. jammies is fwus****ed.

"mr. jammies swats at the big pink Martian dragonflies that swirl
around his head day and night."

[quoted text reformatted to conform to Usenet norm]

Um...okay...
This condition you suffer from, does it hurt?

On RAO, we don't think highly of IKYABWAIs. But your status as a Kroopologist
gives you the cover you need for admitting you don't understand why.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
pyjamarama pyjamarama is offline

On Nov 18, 5:32*pm, George M. Middius
wrote:
mr. jammies is fwus****ed.

"mr. jammies swats at the big pink Martian dragonflies that swirl
around his head day and night."

[quoted text reformatted to conform to Usenet norm]

Um...okay...
This condition you suffer from, does it hurt?

Ah, the Middius "wit" at work...(half of it, anyway)

On RAO, we don't think highly of IKYABWAIs. But your status as a Kroopologist
gives you the cover you need for admitting you don't understand why.

"we?"

I wasn't addressing any "we" -- I was addressing you.

Your need to constantly run to the bosom of groupthink is rather
curious...touching, even.

It betrays an uncertainty, a lack of confidence, a fundamental
insecurity on your part.

It's especially odd given there really isn't anything at stake here on
RAO.

Hence all the 'Kroo' this and the 'borg' that...

What a drab little world you've made for yourself.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:

mr. jammies is fwus****ed.

[...]

All of these guys sound exactly alike.

Why is that?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Shhhh! said:

All of these guys sound exactly alike.
Why is that?

They're not equally stupid, but they're all plenty angry. Or at least
resentful.

Go Chargers! woof!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Nov 19, 6:39*pm, George M. Middius
wrote:
Shhhh! said:

All of these guys sound exactly alike.
Why is that?

They're not equally stupid, but they're all plenty angry. Or at least
resentful.

Go Chargers! woof!

I'm going over the the Chargers group and post OT political messages.

I'm sure that 2pid won't mind.