What type of capacitor should I use?

Old August 24th 17, 04:51 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair
Big Bad Bob

Default What type of capacitor should I use?

On 08/15/17 22:53, rickman wrote:
> Big Bad Bob wrote on 8/15/2017 11:21 PM:
>> On 03/10/17 05:34, Foxs Mercantile wrote:
>>> There's that magic word "feelings" again. Based on nothing.

>> yeah, 'Feel' the 'F' word. so many bad decisions are made in the name of
>> 'Feel'.

> Once you learn about human reasoning you will find it *always* comes
> down to feelings.

Uh, NO.

--
your story is so touching, but it sounds just like a lie
"Straighten up and fly right"
Old August 24th 17, 04:54 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair
rickman

Big Bad Bob wrote on 8/24/2017 11:51 AM:
> On 08/15/17 22:53, rickman wrote:
>> Big Bad Bob wrote on 8/15/2017 11:21 PM:
>>>
>>> yeah, 'Feel' the 'F' word. so many bad decisions are made in the name of
>>> 'Feel'.

>> Once you learn about human reasoning you will find it *always* comes down
>> to feelings.

> Uh, NO.

Uh, YES!

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Old November 26th 17, 11:49 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Thursday, March 9, 2017 at 5:03:00 PM UTC-8, wrote:
> What type of capacitor would be the best match to replace the old
> paper/wax caps in old tube gear?
>
> I am not referring to the electrolytics, those I know need to be
> electrolytic caps. I am referring to the inter stage caps, such as .01
> .05 .1, .005 and so on.....
>
> The object is to replace all the caps in an old tube radio, or any other
> tube stuff.
>
> Yes, I know this topic was sort of discussed a few weeks ago, and I
> recall hearing that any of them would work, but that does not really
> answer this question. Sure, they may all work, but what type would be
> the closest match to the original paper/wax types?
>
> From what I know, those caps were made from paper and a metal foil
> rolled up and coated with wax. So, what is the nearest similar type?
>
> From that last discussion, I know I left that thread sort of puzzled
> because all caps seem tp contain "poly" (which means plastic). I am
> thinking that what seems to be the closest would be whatever plastic
> replaces the paper, and a foil. From what I understand, some caps do not
> have a foil, but rather some sort of metallic material that is coated or
> sprayed on. Those are probably not what I would want to use, because
> they are not similar to the originals.
>
> I am fully aware that the voltage MUST be the same or higher and the uf
> must be close, such as .047 to replace .05. Also for tube circuits,
> axial leads are preferred.
>
> Then too, looking on ebay and other sources, I see a lot of very
> expensive caps which are intended for high end audio amps. For my needs,
> I will not pay $29.99 for one cap, and yes I have seen them cost that
> much.
>
> I am seeing some no-name cheap China caps selling for as little as 20
> cents each. While I like to save money, I'd really rather spend $1 each
> for something like the Orange Drops, which have been around a long time
> and seem to be good quality, despite the fact they dont come in axial
> form. But they generally can fit into most places.
>
> I will only be replacing those paper/wax caps and the electrolytics. I
> wont touch any mica or silver mica types, unless they appear to be bad
> (I will probably test them though).
>
> One that I do recall, are the so called Mylar, which I think were the
> first ones that were made to replace the old paper caps. I guess they
> now changed that name to something "poly" also.....
>
> What would you recommend or use?
> Web url's appreciated for lower cost AMERICAN made caps.
>
> One last thing, I found some cap assortments on ebay. 150 or 200 caps of
> assorted values, labeled as NOS (New old stock), but they are NOT the
> paper/wax kind. Since I have no spare caps, and just want an assortment
> on hand, I was thinking about buying one of those. I would NOT buy NOS
> electrolytics, but for the interstage types, I might consider this, just
> so I have an assortment of caps on hand..

Why don't you use some Paper In Oil caps. You can find russion PIO's on ebay at a reaqsonable price AND they work great.
Old November 26th 17, 01:20 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck

On Sunday, November 26, 2017 at 5:49:28 AM UTC-5, wrote:

> Why don't you use some Paper In Oil caps. You can find russion PIO's on ebay at a reaqsonable price AND they work great.

This might make some sense considering. Old Fart (with apologies to the gaseous variety) is a big fan of the White House incumbent - who, in turn, is a**-hole buddies with Putin (I do hope they are using condoms).

Things Russian might be acceptable where things-Chinese, apparently, are not.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA