Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tom Evans Tom Evans is offline

Default What's the best digital music-recording program for a Macintosh computer user?

What's the best digital music-recording program for multi-track
recording that I can use with my Mac and my controller keyboard?

I want a program with better ounds than Garageband, one that's
Mac-compatible, and that's as easy as possible to use, and not over
about $200.

I'm considering Logic Pro X, but I read a few review by users who had
crashes with the new version, so I'm not sure about that one.

I tried leasing East West Music's Composer Cloud's Goliath collection,
but the accompanying program, called Play, doesn't allow for
multi-track recording.

Tom Evans

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Tom Evans wrote:
What's the best digital music-recording program for multi-track
recording that I can use with my Mac and my controller keyboard?

I want a program with better ounds than Garageband, one that's
Mac-compatible, and that's as easy as possible to use, and not over
about $200.

I'm considering Logic Pro X, but I read a few review by users who had
crashes with the new version, so I'm not sure about that one.

I tried leasing East West Music's Composer Cloud's Goliath collection,
but the accompanying program, called Play, doesn't allow for
multi-track recording.

It doesn't sound like you want DAW software, but something more like ACID.
is that true?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] jjaj1998@netscape.net is offline

On Monday, September 4, 2017 at 7:40:14 PM UTC-4, Tom Evans wrote:
What's the best digital music-recording program for multi-track
recording that I can use with my Mac and my controller keyboard?

I want a program with better ounds than Garageband, one that's
Mac-compatible, and that's as easy as possible to use, and not over
about $200.

I'm considering Logic Pro X, but I read a few review by users who had
crashes with the new version, so I'm not sure about that one.

I tried leasing East West Music's Composer Cloud's Goliath collection,
but the accompanying program, called Play, doesn't allow for
multi-track recording.

Tom Evans

Why not use virtualization/emulation software, then you can run most any Windows app!

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil[_2_] Nil[_2_] is offline

On 04 Sep 2017, Tom Evans wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

What's the best digital music-recording program for multi-track
recording that I can use with my Mac and my controller keyboard?

I want a program with better ounds than Garageband, one that's
Mac-compatible, and that's as easy as possible to use, and not
over about $200.

I know a couple of people who use Garage Band with excellent results. I
believe that computer audio recording sound quality these days is much
more a function of your I/O hardware, not the software.

If it's primarily sample playback you want, I know someone who swears
by Reason. Costs more than $200, though.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

On Monday, September 4, 2017 at 6:40:14 PM UTC-5, Tom Evans wrote:
What's the best digital music-recording program for multi-track
recording that I can use with my Mac and my controller keyboard?

I want a program with better ounds than Garageband, one that's
Mac-compatible, and that's as easy as possible to use, and not over
about $200.

I'm considering Logic Pro X, but I read a few review by users who had
crashes with the new version, so I'm not sure about that one.

I tried leasing East West Music's Composer Cloud's Goliath collection,
but the accompanying program, called Play, doesn't allow for
multi-track recording.

Check out Studio One Prime (free)and Reaper (cheap).

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro

check out N Track Studio

http://en.ntrack.com/index.php

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 6/09/2017 5:45 AM, PStamler wrote:
On Monday, September 4, 2017 at 6:40:14 PM UTC-5, Tom Evans wrote:
What's the best digital music-recording program for multi-track
recording that I can use with my Mac and my controller keyboard?

I want a program with better ounds than Garageband, one that's
Mac-compatible, and that's as easy as possible to use, and not over
about $200.

I'm considering Logic Pro X, but I read a few review by users who had
crashes with the new version, so I'm not sure about that one.

I tried leasing East West Music's Composer Cloud's Goliath collection,
but the accompanying program, called Play, doesn't allow for
multi-track recording.

Check out Studio One Prime (free)

From their web page, Prime appears to be stereo I/O only, and OP
specified multi-track recording. Of course many confuse true multi-track
with virtual tracks though so only he knows for sure.

and Reaper (cheap).

A pretty good choice at the price.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2017-09-05 13:52:27 +0000, Scott Dorsey said:

Tom Evans wrote:
What's the best digital music-recording program for multi-track
recording that I can use with my Mac and my controller keyboard?

I want a program with better ounds than Garageband, one that's
Mac-compatible, and that's as easy as possible to use, and not over
about $200.

I'm considering Logic Pro X, but I read a few review by users who had
crashes with the new version, so I'm not sure about that one.

I tried leasing East West Music's Composer Cloud's Goliath collection,
but the accompanying program, called Play, doesn't allow for
multi-track recording.

It doesn't sound like you want DAW software, but something more like ACID.
is that true?
--scott

What's ACID?

Tom Evans

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2017-09-05 17:41:05 +0000, Nil said:

On 04 Sep 2017, Tom Evans wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

What's the best digital music-recording program for multi-track
recording that I can use with my Mac and my controller keyboard?

I want a program with better ounds than Garageband, one that's
Mac-compatible, and that's as easy as possible to use, and not
over about $200.

I know a couple of people who use Garage Band with excellent results. I
believe that computer audio recording sound quality these days is much
more a function of your I/O hardware, not the software.

If it's primarily sample playback you want, I know someone who swears
by Reason. Costs more than $200, though.

Thanks, Nil.

I bought Logic a few days ago. It cost me $280, plus taxes.

I disagree about sound quality being determined more by hardware than
software; so far some of the instrument sounds I've sampled in Logic
(such as horns, synths and reverb) are far superior to some of the
instrument sounds in Garageband.

Tom Evans

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2017-09-06 08:32:46 +0000, Trevor said:

On 6/09/2017 5:45 AM, PStamler wrote:
On Monday, September 4, 2017 at 6:40:14 PM UTC-5, Tom Evans wrote:
What's the best digital music-recording program for multi-track
recording that I can use with my Mac and my controller keyboard?

I want a program with better ounds than Garageband, one that's
Mac-compatible, and that's as easy as possible to use, and not over
about $200.

I'm considering Logic Pro X, but I read a few review by users who had
crashes with the new version, so I'm not sure about that one.

I tried leasing East West Music's Composer Cloud's Goliath collection,
but the accompanying program, called Play, doesn't allow for
multi-track recording.

Check out Studio One Prime (free)

From their web page, Prime appears to be stereo I/O only, and OP
specified multi-track recording. Of course many confuse true
multi-track with virtual tracks though so only he knows for sure.

What's the difference between 'true' and 'virtual' multi-track recording?

Even though I don't know what 'true' multi-track recording is, I don't
think there's any meaningful difference, because with virtual
multi-track recording I can make songs that incorporate multiple
instruments' sounds, which is what I want to do.

Tom Evans

and Reaper (cheap).

A pretty good choice at the price.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/9/2017 9:11 PM, Tom Evans wrote:

What's the difference between 'true' and 'virtual' multi-track recording?

"True ... recording" must be a term that was invented because someone
coined the term "virtual ... recording." With virtual recording, you
record a MIDI track which is in essence a program that says what note,
when, for how long, and how loud, on what instrument gets played to the
listener, or for a multitrack production, for the person mixing the tracks.

Conversely, a "true ... recording" is one where an instrument is played
by a real person, it makes a sound, and that sound is captured by a
microphone and recorded.

Each has its place. It's the application and the user that determines
which one is more appropriate to use.

Even though I don't know what 'true' multi-track recording is, I don't
think there's any meaningful difference, because with virtual
multi-track recording I can make songs that incorporate multiple
instruments' sounds, which is what I want to do.

The difference is in the "human element" more than the sound. When
virtual instruments first came on the scene some of the sounds were
pretty cheezy due to marginal performance of analog-to-digital and
digital-to-analog converters, and lower resolution recording due to the
high cost of memory and storage space. Today there are some pretty good
sample libraries that are only distinguishable from live instruments by
the skill of the person creating the MIDI tracks, who, more often than
not, isn't a player of the instrument that he's virtualizing.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 2017-09-05 13:52:27 +0000, Scott Dorsey said:

Tom EvansÂ* wrote:
What's the best digital music-recording program for multi-track
recording that I can use with my Mac and my controller keyboard?

I want a program with better ounds than Garageband, one that's
Mac-compatible, and that's as easy as possible to use, and not over
about $200.

I'm considering Logic Pro X, but I read a few review by users who had
crashes with the new version, so I'm not sure about that one.

I tried leasing East West Music's Composer Cloud's Goliath collection,
but the accompanying program, called Play, doesn't allow for
multi-track recording.

It doesn't sound like you want DAW software, but something more like
ACID.
is that true?
--scott

What's ACID?

Tom Evans

Check here :
http://bfy.tw/EO7Q

Also you seem (more than) a little confused with the difference between
'music recording' and 'music creation'.

You are comparing the quality of in-built sound libraries between
Garageband and Logic, not sound quality in the generally accepted sense.
Though I don't doubt that of Logic would be likely superior....

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2017-09-05 13:52:27 +0000, Scott Dorsey said:

It doesn't sound like you want DAW software, but something more like ACID.
is that true?

What's ACID?

I guess you'd call it a loop-based composition tool. Check it out, it's
very popular.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 2017-09-05 13:52:27 +0000, Scott Dorsey said:

It doesn't sound like you want DAW software, but something more like ACID.
is that true?

What's ACID?

I guess you'd call it a loop-based composition tool. Check it out, it's
very popular.
--scott

Yep - the original. Also with full DAW functionality thrown in.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/10/2017 1:00 AM, Trevor wrote: (in e-mail, but gave a bogus reply
address so I couldn't reply directly, but it pertains to this thread

You are on the wrong track here when talking about "multi-track
recording software.

I wasn't talking about multitrack software, I was talking about the
difference between "true" (who ever came up with that moniker?) and
"virtual" (pretty well established) recording.

True multi-track is where you can record more than 2 tracks at once.

The better name for that is two-channel or multi-channel recording. Even
2 channels is considered "multitrack."

Virtual multi-track is where you record 2 tracks at a time, but can
mix a larger number in the software. Most (not all) software these
days can do both given suitable hardware though.

That's nobody's definition but your own. That's just "not having as many
inputs as you want to record simultaneously."

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2017-09-05 13:52:27 +0000, Scott Dorsey said:

It doesn't sound like you want DAW software, but something more like ACID.
is that true?

What's ACID?

I guess you'd call it a loop-based composition tool. Check it out, it's
very popular.
--scott

I already have two loop-based composing tools: Logic and Garageband.

So I don't see why you think I would need ACID, which I'd never even heard of.

And Logic is a high-quality pro tool, so why would I need to spend time
and effort learning ACID, after I've already invested time and money on
Logic.

Tom Evans

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2017-10-10 02:12:24 +0000, Mike Rivers said:

On 10/9/2017 9:11 PM, Tom Evans wrote:

What's the difference between 'true' and 'virtual' multi-track recording?

"True ... recording" must be a term that was invented because someone
coined the term "virtual ... recording." With virtual recording, you
record a MIDI track which is in essence a program that says what note,
when, for how long, and how loud, on what instrument gets played to the
listener, or for a multitrack production, for the person mixing the
tracks.

It's not the program that says what note, when, for how long, and how
loud, and what instruaments are played. It's the composer who
determines those aspects of the songs -- using the program as a tool to
achieve those aspects of the songs.

Conversely, a "true ... recording" is one where an instrument is played
by a real person, it makes a sound, and that sound is captured by a
microphone and recorded.

It's not as clear-cut as you declare; MIDI recording can incorporate
sampled sounds, which are recordings of musicians playing physical
instruments. Entire songs can be MIDI recordings of snippets of
misicians playing instruments, or combine them with synthesized
instrument sounds, and the voices of the central musician and other
physical or sampled or synthesized human voices.

[...]

It sounds like you're denigrating MIDI multi-track recording in favor
of physical recording, which as silly as denigrating denigrating
digital art in favor of physical art.

The important thing is: what emotional effect does the music or the
art have on the viewer or listerner respectively? The tools of
music-making and art-making are irrelevant.

Tom Evans

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tom Evans wrote:

I already have two loop-based composing tools: Logic and Garageband.

So I don't see why you think I would need ACID, which I'd never even heard of.

Because ACID will allow you to use sample libraries from wherever you want,
whereas Garageband ties you into the samples that you keep saying you don't
like the sound of.

And Logic is a high-quality pro tool, so why would I need to spend time
and effort learning ACID, after I've already invested time and money on
Logic.

Because clearly there's something you want to do that you're not able to
do with Logic. Otherwise you would not be here.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 2017-09-05 13:52:27 +0000, Scott Dorsey said:

It doesn't sound like you want DAW software, but something more like
ACID.
is that true?

What's ACID?

I guess you'd call it a loop-based composition tool.Â* Check it out, it's
very popular.
--scott

I already have two loop-based composing tools:Â* Logic and Garageband.

So I don't see why you think I would need ACID, which I'd never even
heard of.

And Logic is a high-quality pro tool, so why would I need to spend time
and effort learning ACID, after I've already invested time and money on
Logic.

Tom Evans

He said "something like Acid" , which you have something like. And never
said "need" so WTF ?

You come here asking for advice, then act like a dick-head when it is
offered. Are you a spoilt 14-year-old or something ?

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 11/10/2017 10:38 AM, Tom Evans wrote:

It sounds like you're denigrating MIDI multi-track recording in favor of
physical recording, which as silly as denigrating denigrating digital
art in favor of physical art.

The important thing is:Â* what emotional effect does the music or the art
have on the viewer or listerner respectively?Â* The tools of music-making
and art-making are irrelevant.

Tom Evans

Nobody is denigrating anything, apart from your apparent total lack of
comprehension of what people are actually saying. And most of us
appreciate deeply the aspects of composition, performance skill and
nuances, and the effect the end result is desired to have on the listener.

Guess what - we also all know what MIDI is, loops are, virtual
instruments are, sample-players are, multi-track is, multi-channel is,
digital (and analogue) recording is , etc, etc etc.

Is is you who apparently refuses to have the finer details and your
obvious misconceptions and misunderstandings clarified.

You have purchased and learned Logic, which can do pretty much all of
the above. Great.

Is there something else that you actually want to know, or just to
engage in some ****ing contest about Logic v. Everything Else ?

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2017-09-05 13:52:27 +0000, Scott Dorsey said:

Tom Evans wrote:
What's the best digital music-recording program for multi-track
recording that I can use with my Mac and my controller keyboard?

It doesn't sound like you want DAW software, but something more like ACID.
is that true?
--scott

I don't know why you think I don't wnat DAW software, when I explicitly
wrote (above) that I do.

And Acid didn't get a good review, and it sounds from the review like
it's not as good as Garageband, which I wanted to upgrade from.

(http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/te...udio-10-597320)

Since I started this thread, I bought Logic. And because I now have
Logic, and because I also have logic, reason and common sense, I know I
don't need to buy another DAW now (ACID), which, from the review,
clearly sounds like it's quite inferior to Logic.

Tom Evans

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/10/2017 5:38 PM, Tom Evans wrote:
It's not the program that says what note, when, for how long, and how
loud, and what instruaments are played.Â* It's the composer who
determines those aspects of the songs -- using the program as a tool to
achieve those aspects of the songs.

Oh, piddle! You know what I mean. For some forms of music, there's a
composer who . . . er . . composes the music. For other forms of music,
sequences of notes are programmed and they're put together to make a
piece of music. Nobody actually plays anything.

But my point is that in one instance, a musician directly plays an
instrument to make a sound. In another instance, the sound might be
generated electronically, someone (who might or might not otherwise be
called a "musician" hits a drum and records its sound, which is played
back under the direction of a computer, that may or may not have been
programmed by a musician or other human.

Conversely, a "true ... recording" is one where an instrument is
played by a real person, it makes a sound, and that sound is captured
by a microphone and recorded.

It's not as clear-cut as you declare; MIDI recording can incorporate
sampled sounds, which are recordings of musicians playing physical
instruments.Â* Entire songs can be MIDI recordings of snippets of
misicians playing instruments, or combine them with synthesized
instrument sounds, and the voices of the central musician and other
physical or sampled or synthesized human voices.

Right - but the musician whose name is on the record isn't playing
exactly what the listener hears. Now I'll admit that with "true"
recording, there's often some manipulation of the sounds coming from the
musician or singer, but it starts out being related to the song being
recorded, not some arbitrary sound that's pasted in under computer
control when the composition or emotion calls for it.

It sounds like you're denigrating MIDI multi-track recording in favor of
physical recording, which as silly as denigrating denigrating digital
art in favor of physical art.

Not at all. It's not that one is good and one is bad, they're just
different. And if you insist on assigning names to the approaches to
production, then there should be definitions that go with those names,
and the definitions should be meaningful.

The important thing is:Â* what emotional effect does the music or the art
have on the viewer or listerner respectively?Â* The tools of music-making
and art-making are irrelevant.

Agreed. But that's not what we were discussing.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 2017-09-05 13:52:27 +0000, Scott Dorsey said:

Tom EvansÂ* wrote:
What's the best digital music-recording program for multi-track
recording that I can use with my Mac and my controller keyboard?

It doesn't sound like you want DAW software, but something more like
ACID.
is that true?
--scott

I don't know why you think I don't wnat DAW software, when I explicitly
wrote (above) that I do.

You (now) have DAW software that also has the other functionality. So
congratulations.

And Acid didn't get a good review, and it sounds from the review like
it's not as good as Garageband, which I wanted to upgrade from.

Acid has had plenty of fantastic reviews. You may have read one less
than enthusiastic review, so whoop-dee-doo. It is Windows only, so turns
out irrelevant anyway.

(http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/te...udio-10-597320)

Try checking out reviews for Acid Pro, which is a better comparison, and
what we have been referring to.

Since I started this thread, I bought Logic.Â* And because I now have
Logic, and because I also have logic, reason and common sense, I know I
don't need to buy another DAW now (ACID), which, from the review,
clearly sounds like it's quite inferior to Logic.

If you wanted to you could try it for free and find out (more intuitive
for starters). But you don't want to, so don't.

What is it that you are actually wanting to ask or contribute ?

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2017-10-10 02:12:24 +0000, Mike Rivers said:

[...]

You implied the falsehood that MIDI is the master and controller of the
musician. In truth, a good musician can be the master and controller
of MIDI.

And a good MIDI muliti-track songwriter and musician IS indirectly
playing the instruments, and can be just as creative and just as good
at his craft -- by mixing different instruments and tracks in infinite
combinations, and specifiying every nuance of his songs in a myriad of
ways -- as a musician playing physical instruments only.

And just as with digital artists compared to traditional, physical
artists, the digital, MIDI musicians have available to them MORE
creative possibilites than musicians making music who use only
traditional instruments, such as pianos, drums, guitars and wind
instruments.

You have a narrow, negative perspective on digital music. Fortunately,
I'm broadminded, and very thankful for and excited about the astounding
creative possibilites that MIDi music provides for talented, home-based
musicians like me, and at low costs.

Tom Evans

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2017-10-10 22:31:11 +0000, Scott Dorsey said:

Tom Evans wrote:

I already have two loop-based composing tools: Logic and Garageband.

So I don't see why you think I would need ACID, which I'd never even heard of.

Because ACID will allow you to use sample libraries from wherever you want,
whereas Garageband ties you into the samples that you keep saying you don't
like the sound of.

And Logic is a high-quality pro tool, so why would I need to spend time
and effort learning ACID, after I've already invested time and money on
Logic.

Because clearly there's something you want to do that you're not able to
do with Logic. Otherwise you would not be here.
--scott

You made a false and stupid assumption, Scott.

I'm here to follow-up -- to check if anyone answered my question about
what DAW they might recommend. To not check if anyone answered my
question would have been irrepsonsible.

Tom Evans

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tom Evans* wrote:
On 2017-09-05 13:52:27 +0000, Scott Dorsey said:

[...]

He wrote "something more like ACID", but only recommended ACID and
didn't recommend any program other than ACID. Therefore, clearly ACID
was his recommendation. Only a dickhead would not be able to figure
that out.

And by criticizing me for writing "need" instead of "want" is just
splitting hairs.

But I mixed up the timeline. I forgot that the writer wrote his
recommendation a few days before I bought Logic.

Tom Evans

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2017-09-05 13:52:27 +0000, Scott Dorsey said:

Tom Evans* wrote:
[...]

My question has been answered because I bought and tried Logic. That's
the program I'll use for the forseeable future.

Tom Evans

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil[_2_] Nil[_2_] is offline

On 09 Oct 2017, Tom Evans wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

I disagree about sound quality being determined more by hardware
than software; so far some of the instrument sounds I've sampled
in Logic (such as horns, synths and reverb) are far superior to
some of the instrument sounds in Garageband.

The sound quality of samples starts with the I/O hardware the recorder
of the samples uses. You can process those samples with any software
you want.

You may like the samples included with Logic better than those included
with Garage Band, but that says nothing at all about the sound quality
of Logic or Garage Band itself.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11-10-2017 03:39, Tom Evans wrote:

But I mixed up the timeline. I forgot that the writer wrote his
recommendation a few days before I bought Logic.

Which you specifically removed from getting suggested by saying that you
didn't want it. And Scotts suggestion was "something like Acid", to
which could be added Cakewalk, tho' I do not really now current versions.

Another question you have is why have more tools when you have one. And
the answer to that is a question: "Why do guitarists have multiple
guitars?".

Tom Evans

Kind regards

Peter Larsen.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2017-10-10 02:12:24 +0000, Mike Rivers said:

You have a narrow, negative perspective on digital music. Fortunately,
I'm broadminded, and very thankful for and excited about the astounding
creative possibilites that MIDi music provides for talented, home-based
musicians like me, and at low costs.

For a newbie questionee you are unusually narrowminded and ill informed
and very good at avoiding getting advice in the future.

For success in whatever your quest in life reconsider your attitude.

Tom Evans

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/10/2017 10:29 PM, Tom Evans wrote:
You implied the falsehood that MIDI is the master and controller of the
musician.

Plunk!

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/10/2017 10:33 PM, Tom Evans wrote:
I'm here to follow-up -- to check if anyone answered my question about
what DAW they might recommend.Â* To not check if anyone answered my
question would have been irrepsonsible.

The DAW has no sound. The important thing about choosing a DAW for your
work is to find one that you like to use. Sounds can come from anywhere,
and you can pick ones that fit the music you want to create.

As you keep saying, it's the person creating the music that's most
important, not the tools he's using.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/10/2017 10:42 PM, Tom Evans wrote:

My question has been answered because I bought and tried Logic.Â* That's
the program I'll use for the forseeable future.

OK, now get out of here and start making some music. In your next post,
include a link to one of your own compositions.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 11/10/2017 11:17 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 10/10/2017 10:33 PM, Tom Evans wrote:
I'm here to follow-up -- to check if anyone answered my question about
what DAW they might recommend.Â* To not check if anyone answered my
question would have been irrepsonsible.

The DAW has no sound. The important thing about choosing a DAW for your
work is to find one that you like to use. Sounds can come from anywhere,
and you can pick ones that fit the music you want to create.

As you keep saying, it's the person creating the music that's most
important, not the tools he's using.

Though the tools used may make his (or her) process of realising their
music ideas more straightforward, or less so.

FWIW when I tried Logic ( a PC version in early days) and
notwithstanding its undoubted power and complexity it had, I found the
user interface and learning-curve was the most obscure and unintuitive I
have ever come across (not having used Protools). In fact I find that
with most German software. Must be a left/right brain thing.

The other extreme, which I went with, was Vegas (for pure audio
recording - no MIDI or loop tools) which is incredibly elegant and
straightforward though now developed more as a video production tool
(still incorporating all the audio functions). And Acid for doing what I
couldn't easily in Vegas.

Have also tried Cakewalk, Cubase, Samplitude (also good), and
(increasingly) Reaper. Plus breifly played with most others.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tom Evans wrote:
I don't know why you think I don't wnat DAW software, when I explicitly
wrote (above) that I do.

Because you keep talking about MIDI. Traditional standard DAW software has
nothing to do with MIDI, it is used for recording and editing audio sources.
You don't have audio sources.

You talk about wanting a DAW but then you describe a compositional tool.

And Acid didn't get a good review, and it sounds from the review like
it's not as good as Garageband, which I wanted to upgrade from.

Well, then get something else. Just make sure it allows you to import
external sample libraries.

Since I started this thread, I bought Logic. And because I now have
Logic, and because I also have logic, reason and common sense, I know I
don't need to buy another DAW now (ACID), which, from the review,
clearly sounds like it's quite inferior to Logic.

ACID is not a DAW, it's a very specific tool for building music from loops.
It has absolutely nothing to do with a DAW and frequently is used to produce
files which are imported into a DAW.

You need to get your mind around the differences between sample libraries
and sample playback, and the difference between DAWs and compositional tools.
Because until you do, nobody here is going to be able to help you because
none of us will be able to figure out what the hell you want.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Nil wrote:

You may like the samples included with Logic better than those included
with Garage Band, but that says nothing at all about the sound quality
of Logic or Garage Band itself.

People have been trying to explain this to Tom since he came here. Will
Logic allow him to use an external sample library? If so, then his problems
are solved.

I don't think he gets yet the difference between samples and softsynths.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 12/10/2017 2:50 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

ACID is not a DAW, it's a very specific tool for building music from loops.
It has absolutely nothing to do with a DAW and frequently is used to produce
files which are imported into a DAW.

Um Scott, hate to quibble especially in these circumstances, but what
DAW functions is ACID lacking ?

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/9/2017 8:56 PM, Tom Evans wrote:
What's ACID?

What's a DAW? Acid is a pretty decent DAW as we use the term today.
Because it's 8 or 10 years old and hasn't been updated much, it doesn't
have all of the built-in sounds and signal processing that you get with
a modern program (and those "extra" features are all different), but
Acid's strength when it was a new program is in how it can manipulate
samples and pre-recorded audio streams ("loops") in both pitch and time.

It was, and probably still is, very good at building "remixes" (in the
DJ sense) because you can take a recording, for example, of a drum part,
and adjust it in time to fit the tempo of your song, and tune it,
sometimes way down, or way up, to create a new sound that plays like
that drum part. It does support MIDI so you can also built virtual
tracks using a sample library for the kind and quality of instruments
you want to use. You can also record audio to add vocals and real
instruments, and there's a mixing console for mixing all the tracks.

It's best for creating "assembled" music rather than played or composed
music. If you just want to play piano, guitar, bass, brass, strings, and
drums on a keyboard, it will happily do that and play sounds that you
assign to those tracks. And, as Scott has said over and over again,
those sounds are YOUR choice, and aren't limited to whatever the
software vendor chose to throw in to get you started.

Logic may indeed be more suited to the way you work, but it will (or at
least should be) be a function of how comfortable it is for you to move
from one step to the next. If the sounds that came with it are OK,
that's fine, but there are plenty of other sounds out there, some free,
some fairly costly. Some recorded in ways that suit "lo fi" productions,
some that are very carefully recorded with good microphones in a good
studio, and a drum sample set may include half a dozen different snare
drums, a dozen toms, five or six kicks and more cymbals than you can
stand to listen to. Pick what goes with your songs. That's what you do
with your producer hat on.

Or just have fun.