A Audio and hi-fi forum. AudioBanter

Go Back   Home » AudioBanter forum » rec.audio » Pro Audio
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Audio Editor vs. DAW: What’s the Difference?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old August 19th 17, 06:22 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 235
Default Audio Editor vs. DAW: What’s the Difference?

On 19 Aug 2017, Neil > wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

> On 8/18/2017 6:16 PM, Nil wrote:
>>
>> I don't really compare it to Audition or Cool Edit, though. Those
>> two programs are really single audio file editors with some
>> clunky multi- track features bolted on.
> >

> Audition is the continuation of Cool Edit _Pro_ after its
> acquisition by Adobe, and it was/is a multi-track recorder. I've
> used it with various multi-input cards (up to 32 simultaneous
> tracks) for decades.


Yes, I know and I said as much. But Audition's multi-track features
seem to me to be extremely clunky and hard to work with, at least in
versions 1.2 through 3. Maybe later versions are easier. Maybe it just
doesn't fit in with the way I think and work.

Cool Edit was a single-file editor only, no multi-track features.
Ads
  #42  
Old August 19th 17, 06:32 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 235
Default Audio Editor vs. DAW: Whats the Difference?

On 19 Aug 2017, jtees4 > wrote in rec.audio.pro:

> For awhile, I used Reaper to record and mix everything and then
> master in Audition...I guess I was just more familiar with it.
> Then I got a new computer and didn't load Audition inti it, and
> have not used it since.


I use Audition for surgical edits - fix a crackle here, fix a plosive
there, small edits that would be difficult or impossible in Reaper
itself. And I also use it to check my rendered file - the waveform
display is more detailed, so I can better see if there are any
overages, check the head and tail silences, etc. Audition is still
always part of my process.

> What I love about reaper is, I know what I
> need to know....whenever anything else comes up...I simply go into
> Google and typw "reaper blah blah blah" and get instant info from
> multiple sources on what I am trying to do.


Yeah, that's great. Lots of user resources and video tutorials. The PDF
manual is also excellent and very complete.

  #43  
Old August 19th 17, 07:00 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 509
Default Audio Editor vs. DAW: What’s the Difference?



"Nil" wrote in message ...

On 19 Aug 2017, jtees4 > wrote in rec.audio.pro:

> For awhile, I used Reaper to record and mix everything and then
> master in Audition...I guess I was just more familiar with it.
> Then I got a new computer and didn't load Audition inti it, and
> have not used it since.


I use Audition for surgical edits - fix a crackle here, fix a plosive
there, small edits that would be difficult or impossible in Reaper
itself. And I also use it to check my rendered file - the waveform
display is more detailed, so I can better see if there are any
overages, check the head and tail silences, etc. Audition is still
always part of my process.

> What I love about reaper is, I know what I
> need to know....whenever anything else comes up...I simply go into
> Google and typw "reaper blah blah blah" and get instant info from
> multiple sources on what I am trying to do.


Yeah, that's great. Lots of user resources and video tutorials. The PDF
manual is also excellent and very complete.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>


I bring that manual with me on vacations. Seriously. I'm amazed at the stuff
I find after multiple readings.

Poly


---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

  #44  
Old August 19th 17, 07:12 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil[_9_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 150
Default Audio Editor vs. DAW: What’s the Difference?

On 8/19/2017 1:22 PM, Nil wrote:
> On 19 Aug 2017, Neil > wrote in
> rec.audio.pro:
>
>> On 8/18/2017 6:16 PM, Nil wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't really compare it to Audition or Cool Edit, though. Those
>>> two programs are really single audio file editors with some
>>> clunky multi- track features bolted on.
>>>

>> Audition is the continuation of Cool Edit _Pro_ after its
>> acquisition by Adobe, and it was/is a multi-track recorder. I've
>> used it with various multi-input cards (up to 32 simultaneous
>> tracks) for decades.

>
> Yes, I know and I said as much. But Audition's multi-track features
> seem to me to be extremely clunky and hard to work with, at least in
> versions 1.2 through 3. Maybe later versions are easier. Maybe it just
> doesn't fit in with the way I think and work.
>

The best reason for the existence of multiple apps is that people think
and do things in different ways. For example, I have no tolerance for
DAWs that have a pseudo-hardware style of user interface with knobs,
sliders, switches etc. So, working with waveforms and having precise
parameter adjustments via input boxes and curve adjustments is a huge
improvement over both traditional hardware and their software imitators.
But, I can understand why some would find that kind of UI challenging. ;-)

> Cool Edit was a single-file editor only, no multi-track features.
>

Which is why I differentiated between them by underlining "Pro".

--
best regards,

Neil
  #45  
Old August 20th 17, 01:26 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,261
Default Audio Editor vs. DAW: What’s the Difference?

On 20/08/2017 6:12 AM, Neil wrote:

>
>> Cool Edit was a single-file editor only, no multi-track features.
>>

> Which is why I differentiated between them by underlining "Pro".
>


That's not the difference between 'pro' and 'not'. It's just different
things, like a truck and a van.

geoff
  #46  
Old August 20th 17, 01:44 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 16,389
Default Audio Editor vs. DAW: What’s the Difference?

geoff > wrote:
>On 20/08/2017 6:12 AM, Neil wrote:
>
>>> Cool Edit was a single-file editor only, no multi-track features.
>>>

>> Which is why I differentiated between them by underlining "Pro".

>
>That's not the difference between 'pro' and 'not'. It's just different
>things, like a truck and a van.


I think he is pointing out that "Cool Edit" and "Cool Edit Pro" were not
the same piece of software.
--scott

--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
  #47  
Old August 20th 17, 01:55 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil[_9_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 150
Default Audio Editor vs. DAW: What’s the Difference?

On 8/19/2017 8:44 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> geoff > wrote:
>> On 20/08/2017 6:12 AM, Neil wrote:
>>
>>>> Cool Edit was a single-file editor only, no multi-track features.
>>>>
>>> Which is why I differentiated between them by underlining "Pro".

>>
>> That's not the difference between 'pro' and 'not'. It's just different
>> things, like a truck and a van.

>
> I think he is pointing out that "Cool Edit" and "Cool Edit Pro" were not
> the same piece of software.
> --scott
>

Exactly. CEP was a multi-track DAW as compared to the 2ch/stereo audio
editor that was CE.

--
best regards,

Neil
  #48  
Old August 20th 17, 06:25 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,261
Default Audio Editor vs. DAW: What’s the Difference?

On 20/08/2017 12:55 PM, Neil wrote:
> On 8/19/2017 8:44 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> geoff* > wrote:
>>> On 20/08/2017 6:12 AM, Neil wrote:
>>>
>>>>> Cool Edit was a single-file editor only, no multi-track features.
>>>>>
>>>> Which is why I differentiated between them by underlining "Pro".
>>>
>>> That's not the difference between 'pro' and 'not'. It's just different
>>> things, like a truck and a van.

>>
>> I think he is pointing out that "Cool Edit" and "Cool Edit Pro" were not
>> the same piece of software.
>> --scott
>>

> Exactly. CEP was a multi-track DAW as compared to the 2ch/stereo audio
> editor that was CE.
>


Click. Would have been better to drop the Edit and make it Cool Track
Pro, Cool Mix Pro, or something like that, as no longer 'just' an editor.

geoff
  #49  
Old August 20th 17, 04:41 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Rick Ruskin
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 349
Default Audio Editor vs. DAW: Whats the Difference?

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 12:26:06 +1200, geoff >
wrote:

>On 20/08/2017 6:12 AM, Neil wrote:
>
>>
>>> Cool Edit was a single-file editor only, no multi-track features.
>>>

>> Which is why I differentiated between them by underlining "Pro".
>>

>
>That's not the difference between 'pro' and 'not'. It's just different
>things, like a truck and a van.
>
>geoff


Cool Edit most definitely did have a multitrack feature.



---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com

  #50  
Old August 20th 17, 04:52 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
John Williamson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,549
Default Audio Editor vs. DAW: What�s the Difference?

On 20/08/2017 16:41, Rick Ruskin wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 12:26:06 +1200, geoff >
> wrote:
>
>> On 20/08/2017 6:12 AM, Neil wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>> Cool Edit was a single-file editor only, no multi-track features.
>>>>
>>> Which is why I differentiated between them by underlining "Pro".
>>>

>>
>> That's not the difference between 'pro' and 'not'. It's just different
>> things, like a truck and a van.
>>
>> geoff

>
> Cool Edit most definitely did have a multitrack feature.
>

The version (Cool Edit 96) I had and which is still lurking on a CD
somewhere, could record and process stereo.

The upgrade to Cool Edit Pro gave the opportunity to record and edit
multiple stereo tracks, but effects could only be applied in the stereo
"edit" window, not the multitrack one, which was limited to automating
levels and balance.

Cool Ed
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Audio Editor Peter Larsen[_2_] Pro Audio 0 January 23rd 08 11:58 AM
Looking for a good audio editor Buzz Tech 4 January 7th 07 12:15 PM
Audio Editor Pro Jayme Pro Audio 3 April 15th 06 11:23 PM
Want WAV editor allows cutting without changing remaining audio [email protected] Tech 4 May 11th 05 09:46 PM
Looking for simple WinXP audio editor Ixkorr Oxkarr Pro Audio 3 March 11th 04 01:06 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 AudioBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.