Posted to rec.audio.pro
jtees4 jtees4 is offline

Default Trying to get info on old speakers

Back in the 70's I bought two bass reflex type speakers in Manhattan.
I don't remember if they were 1x15" or 1x18" in each (probably 15). I
play guitar, and originally were using these with my 200 watt Marshall
Major amp head. Eventually I bought an array of piezo's and used these
speakers as part of our PA system.
Anyway....I can't find any info on the company, and am really just
curious. The brand on them was H.E.A.D. which stood for High Energy
Audio Design. That's all I remember....can't find a thing on them,
though I suspect I am missing something.
Thanks!!!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

On Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 12:31:51 PM UTC-5, jtees4 wrote:
Back in the 70's I bought two bass reflex type speakers in Manhattan.
I don't remember if they were 1x15" or 1x18" in each (probably 15). I
play guitar, and originally were using these with my 200 watt Marshall
Major amp head. Eventually I bought an array of piezo's and used these
speakers as part of our PA system.
Anyway....I can't find any info on the company, and am really just
curious. The brand on them was H.E.A.D. which stood for High Energy
Audio Design. That's all I remember....can't find a thing on them,
though I suspect I am missing something.
Thanks!!!

Did you buy them from a guy in a white van?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] jjaj1998@netscape.net is offline

On Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 2:49:19 PM UTC-4, PStamler wrote:
On Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 12:31:51 PM UTC-5, jtees4 wrote:
Back in the 70's I bought two bass reflex type speakers in Manhattan.
I don't remember if they were 1x15" or 1x18" in each (probably 15). I
play guitar, and originally were using these with my 200 watt Marshall
Major amp head. Eventually I bought an array of piezo's and used these
speakers as part of our PA system.
Anyway....I can't find any info on the company, and am really just
curious. The brand on them was H.E.A.D. which stood for High Energy
Audio Design. That's all I remember....can't find a thing on them,
though I suspect I am missing something.
Thanks!!!

Did you buy them from a guy in a white van?

HEAD? Hot Electronics Always Distributed?

No signs of finding or getting HEAD on the 'net!

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 27/07/2017 5:31 AM, jtees4 wrote:
Back in the 70's I bought two bass reflex type speakers in Manhattan.
I don't remember if they were 1x15" or 1x18" in each (probably 15). I
play guitar, and originally were using these with my 200 watt Marshall
Major amp head. Eventually I bought an array of piezo's and used these
speakers as part of our PA system.
Anyway....I can't find any info on the company, and am really just
curious. The brand on them was H.E.A.D. which stood for High Energy
Audio Design. That's all I remember....can't find a thing on them,
though I suspect I am missing something.
Thanks!!!

Missing something ? Probably 'hearing' after that piezo array.

Suggest you wander around Manhattan for a while asking people for HEAD.
Eventually you might get lucky ;-0

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

PStamler wrote:
On Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 12:31:51 PM UTC-5, jtees4 wrote:
Back in the 70's I bought two bass reflex type speakers in Manhattan.
I don't remember if they were 1x15" or 1x18" in each (probably 15). I
play guitar, and originally were using these with my 200 watt Marshall
Major amp head. Eventually I bought an array of piezo's and used these
speakers as part of our PA system.
Anyway....I can't find any info on the company, and am really just
curious. The brand on them was H.E.A.D. which stood for High Energy
Audio Design. That's all I remember....can't find a thing on them,
though I suspect I am missing something.
Thanks!!!

Did you buy them from a guy in a white van?

It's not quite THAT bad. But the barriers to starting a company making
guitar cabinets is pretty low. Back in the seventies there were probably
thousands of guys making cabinets in their basements for sale at local
music shops. Some of those guys made it big (sometimes under different
names than the one they used originally). Most didn't.

Same thing goes for hi-fi speakers... except that today there are STILL
thousands of guys making hi-fi speakers in their basements and selling them.

If you ever find out the story behind the "Murray-Carson Cavity Resonator,"
I'd love to know. Likely it was a guy in a basement making them, and I
saw a pair in the seventies and haven't heard of them since.
--scott

"Any idiot can design a speaker and unfortunately many do."
-- Dick Pierce

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jtees4 jtees4 is offline

On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 11:18:04 +1200, Geoff
wrote:

On 27/07/2017 5:31 AM, jtees4 wrote:
Back in the 70's I bought two bass reflex type speakers in Manhattan.
I don't remember if they were 1x15" or 1x18" in each (probably 15). I
play guitar, and originally were using these with my 200 watt Marshall
Major amp head. Eventually I bought an array of piezo's and used these
speakers as part of our PA system.
Anyway....I can't find any info on the company, and am really just
curious. The brand on them was H.E.A.D. which stood for High Energy
Audio Design. That's all I remember....can't find a thing on them,
though I suspect I am missing something.
Thanks!!!

Missing something ? Probably 'hearing' after that piezo array.

Suggest you wander around Manhattan for a while asking people for HEAD.
Eventually you might get lucky ;-0

geoff

LOL....tried that in the 70's.
The company was High Energy Audio Design, and I actually bought them
from a legitimate store on 48th Street, not Manny's or
Steyvesent....but can't remember the name actually. Possibly Rudy's..

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 3/08/2017 6:34 AM, jtees4 wrote:

Audio Design. That's all I remember....can't find a thing on them,
though I suspect I am missing something.
Thanks!!!

Missing something ? Probably 'hearing' after that piezo array.

Suggest you wander around Manhattan for a while asking people for HEAD.
Eventually you might get lucky ;-0

geoff

LOL....tried that in the 70's.
The company was High Energy Audio Design, and I actually bought them
from a legitimate store on 48th Street, not Manny's or
Steyvesent....but can't remember the name actually. Possibly Rudy's..

And now "Rudy's on a train to nowhere, halfway down the line ...."

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
jtees4 jtees4 is offline

On Wed, 2 Aug 2017 15:16:56 -0400, "polymod"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Definitely not Sam Ash, I used to hate them....wouldn't buy from them
because they treated a young dumb broke kid (ME) badly a few times and
I never forgot it. Not the Manhattan store, it was White Plains to be
fair. Funny thing is, now I know some of the Ash family, and still
don't like them LOL.