Detecting Audio Distortion, The Human Way

Old June 27th 17, 12:32 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Detecting Audio Distortion, The Human Way

Honey, change the radio station, I think WKMA ceased broadcasting...
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...losegirl-o.mp3

Change it to WBOM, with their slogan, We're Bold On Music!!...
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...losegirl-b.mp3

Bootleg compilation :-)

On a serious note, this sounds nice, mainly (64%) clean Mono. Wish Ringo didn't change what he doing, fouled the recording a bit. Key point, listening with headphones, sounds nice when backing vocals start. However, listening to it with -34 DB earplugs and headphones, I start hearing backing vocal distortion at points. Possible way to detect distortion?...

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...everywhere.mp3

Thanks!

Jack
Old June 27th 17, 01:52 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 7:32:09 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> Honey, change the radio station, I think WKMA ceased broadcasting...
> http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...losegirl-o.mp3

Jack, you seem to be acquainted with the radio biz in the Philly area.

Do you happen to know what equipment WMGK uses in their audio processing chain?

Old June 27th 17, 02:01 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 8:53:00 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 7:32:09 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> > Honey, change the radio station, I think WKMA ceased broadcasting...
> > http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...losegirl-o.mp3
> >

> Jack, you seem to be acquainted with the radio biz in the Philly area.
>
> Do you happen to know what equipment WMGK uses in their audio processing chain?

Used to have an in with Charlie when manager ('MGK), but he was canned or quit, so I'm not sure, Mark. If you have a specific question, equipment wise, tell me and I'll ask. Think manager from 'MMR filled Charlie's spot.

Jack
Old June 27th 17, 02:13 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 8:53:00 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 7:32:09 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> > Honey, change the radio station, I think WKMA ceased broadcasting...
> > http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...losegirl-o.mp3
> >

> Jack, you seem to be acquainted with the radio biz in the Philly area.
>
> Do you happen to know what equipment WMGK uses in their audio processing chain?

I'd listen to MGK early morning. I'd hear a Stones tune, sounded awful.
Asked Charlie about it next day, his reply, "I guess you don't like ABKCO"! First he blamed equipment.
If you hear them play, All The Young Dudes, that's my contribution to HD Radio quality.
Charlie even asked about CCR tunes in stereo. He was OK, but when he misinterpreted what I wrote about Michael Tearson, we were done.

Makes me wonder if the DJ's even listen to WMMR (ex: Pierre Robert), like ZZ Top's, La Grange, I'm not sure what someone did to that tune (CD), but an abortion!

Yeah, I listen and listen closely.
Gossip.

Jack
Old June 27th 17, 05:07 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

>>> Mark. If you have a specific question, equipment wise, tell me and I'll ask.

What audio processor is WMGK using for the FM (not HD) signal chain?

I think it is the most "listenable" FM processing I've heard in a while.

Old June 27th 17, 05:44 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 12:07:25 PM UTC-4, wrote:

> What audio processor is WMGK using for the FM (not HD) signal chain?
>
> I think it is the most "listenable" FM processing I've heard in a while.

I'll see what I can find out for you!! Must admit, sounds decent!

Jack
Old June 27th 17, 10:36 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 27/06/2017 11:32 PM, wrote:
> Honey, change the radio station, I think WKMA ceased broadcasting...

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...losegirl-o.mp3

> Change it to WBOM, with their slogan, We're Bold On Music!!...
> http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...losegirl-b.mp3
>
> Bootleg compilation :-)
>
> On a serious note, this sounds nice, mainly (64%) clean Mono. Wish
> Ringo didn't change what he doing, fouled the recording a bit. Key
> point, listening with headphones, sounds nice when backing vocals
> start. However, listening to it with -34 DB earplugs and headphones,
> I start hearing backing vocal distortion at points. Possible way to
> detect distortion?...

A good way to detect distortion is 'common sense'.

Um -34dB earplugs and headphones ?!!! Headphones are probably being
overdriven in order to hear the music. Or the headphone amp.

Old June 28th 17, 04:53 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 5:36:31 PM UTC-4, Geoff wrote:
> On 27/06/2017 11:32 PM, wrote:
> > Honey, change the radio station, I think WKMA ceased broadcasting...

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...losegirl-o.mp3

> > Change it to WBOM, with their slogan, We're Bold On Music!!...
> > http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...losegirl-b.mp3
> >
> > Bootleg compilation :-)
> >
> > On a serious note, this sounds nice, mainly (64%) clean Mono. Wish
> > Ringo didn't change what he doing, fouled the recording a bit. Key
> > point, listening with headphones, sounds nice when backing vocals
> > start. However, listening to it with -34 DB earplugs and headphones,
> > I start hearing backing vocal distortion at points. Possible way to
> > detect distortion?...

> A good way to detect distortion is 'common sense'.
>
> Um -34dB earplugs and headphones ?!!! Headphones are probably being
> overdriven in order to hear the music. Or the headphone amp.

No, far from being THAT loud. My theory, just like Stereo masking, as I call it, one sound is masking another. The earplugs block what frequencies are masking the distortion. I noticed this once before, but not as much. Please try, I'll even send earplugs, list at moderate volume.

Thanks, G'!

Jack

Old June 29th 17, 12:05 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

> What audio processor is WMGK using for the FM (not HD) signal chain?
>
> I think it is the most "listenable" FM processing I've heard in a while.

Mark, not sure their e-mails are even working anymore. Bill Weston may now be gone, but listed at both 'MMR and 'MGK. E-mail bounces.

I do know I caused WOGL-FM (98.1) to remove their e-mails :-)

Jack
Old June 30th 17, 05:17 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod

wrote in message

> What audio processor is WMGK using for the FM (not HD) signal chain?
>
> I think it is the most "listenable" FM processing I've heard in a while.

Mark, not sure their e-mails are even working anymore. Bill Weston may now
be gone, but listed at both 'MMR and 'MGK. E-mail bounces.

I do know I caused WOGL-FM (98.1) to remove their e-mails :-)

Jack

But the question arises....
Pat's or Geno's.

A non Philly guy would like to know ;-)