2016 Los Angeles AES Show Report

Old October 7th 16, 04:16 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA

Default 2016 Los Angeles AES Show Report

On Friday, October 7, 2016 at 10:42:18 AM UTC-4, Mike Rivers wrote:
> > It's no wonder why this group is near dead with all the mistakes YOU
> > PEOPLE make. You should thank The Lord (is that politically correct?)
> > I'm here to correct you!

> If you guys want to continue insulting each other, please don't do it in
> MY thread.
>

> --
> "Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
> a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be
> operated without a passing knowledge of audio" - John Watkinson
>
> Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Mike, you were the instigator!

Jack
Old October 7th 16, 08:44 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Groups are dying because of trolls and people that feed them

Old October 7th 16, 09:26 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA

On Friday, October 7, 2016 at 3:45:39 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> Groups are dying because of trolls and people that feed them

Usenet is dead, since Facebook, where dumb people who can't communicate simply by hitting a button! Why people need self made, canned, blog stuff. Usenet stinks for file sharing, etc.. Even EasyNews offered a web based version of Usenet. I thought that was illegal, since THEY are instrumental in the file sharing.

Since day one, decade + ago, met some NICE people in usenet, but most of them want to be the KINGS, mostly KLANS in all groups. No different here, Mark!

Jack
Old October 7th 16, 11:01 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
John Williamson

On 07/10/2016 21:26, JackA wrote:
> On Friday, October 7, 2016 at 3:45:39 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>> Groups are dying because of trolls and people that feed them

They are also not liked by ISPs, who can't work out a way to make large
profits out of them, as they find it hard to push adverts.

All web based message interchanges, especially the free ones, have a
large, profitable for the ISP, advertising content, which is a b*tch to
filter out. If you are not the customer, you are the product, and it's
hard to make usenet users into products.

Usenet stinks for file sharing, etc.. Even EasyNews offered a web based
version of Usenet. I thought that was illegal, since THEY are
instrumental in the file sharing.

Anyone can legally write a web based interface to usenet, all they need
to do is scrape a newsfeed of a few peers. There are even scripts to do
so somewhere on the web, if you look hard enough. One of the best
examples of this is Google Groups, though they do, at least, attempt to
keep a decent archive.

Usenet was originally set up as a better, faster, version of the early
dial up bulletin boards, and still works with 7 bit ASCII as the actual
message transmission medium, translated to and from 8 bit at the servers.

The original specification expected people to post links to files on
their servers in order to share, and the binary groups came later as an
attempt to get round having to run your own permanently connected file
server.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old October 8th 16, 06:09 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA

On Friday, October 7, 2016 at 6:01:07 PM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
> On 07/10/2016 21:26, JackA wrote:
> > On Friday, October 7, 2016 at 3:45:39 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> >> Groups are dying because of trolls and people that feed them

> They are also not liked by ISPs, who can't work out a way to make large
> profits out of them, as they find it hard to push adverts.
>
> All web based message interchanges, especially the free ones, have a
> large, profitable for the ISP, advertising content, which is a b*tch to
> filter out. If you are not the customer, you are the product, and it's
> hard to make usenet users into products.
>
> Usenet stinks for file sharing, etc.. Even EasyNews offered a web based
> version of Usenet. I thought that was illegal, since THEY are
> instrumental in the file sharing.
> >

> Anyone can legally write a web based interface to usenet, all they need
> to do is scrape a newsfeed of a few peers. There are even scripts to do
> so somewhere on the web, if you look hard enough. One of the best
> examples of this is Google Groups, though they do, at least, attempt to
> keep a decent archive.
>
> Usenet was originally set up as a better, faster, version of the early
> dial up bulletin boards, and still works with 7 bit ASCII as the actual
> message transmission medium, translated to and from 8 bit at the servers.
>
> The original specification expected people to post links to files on
> their servers in order to share, and the binary groups came later as an
> attempt to get round having to run your own permanently connected file
> server.

True, but who had time to join files and even learn how to use software to do it.

When files sharing web based sites gained popularity, even half owner (nickname Godzilla) of Easynews sold when he could.

Jack

Old October 8th 16, 04:52 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message ...

My annual AES show report is now posted.

<snip>

Just wanted to say thank you Mike.

Poly
Old October 8th 16, 05:04 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

polymod > wrote:
>"Mike Rivers" wrote in message ...
>
>My annual AES show report is now posted.
>
><snip>
>
>Just wanted to say thank you Mike.

I am amazed at how quickly Mike gets these things up. I haven't even
unpacked my laundry by the time Mike has the full report on the web.
Look for my report in a couple weeks; the photos are in the tank right
now and should be scanned tomorrow.

Old October 9th 16, 04:35 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message ...

polymod > wrote:
>"Mike Rivers" wrote in message ...
>
>My annual AES show report is now posted.
>
><snip>
>
>Just wanted to say thank you Mike.

I am amazed at how quickly Mike gets these things up. I haven't even
unpacked my laundry by the time Mike has the full report on the web.
Look for my report in a couple weeks; the photos are in the tank right
now and should be scanned tomorrow.

+1

Poly
Old October 10th 16, 06:10 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 10/8/2016 12:04 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> I am amazed at how quickly Mike gets these things up. I haven't even
> unpacked my laundry by the time Mike has the full report on the web.

It's because I have no life. But then, some people post photos right
from the show floor, though with little or no text to accompany them.

Besides, by getting my report up early, others who post reports can see
what I missed and post about other things (or the same things). I forgot
to check out the Waves Vinyl plug-in. It might not be very useful, but
it sure looked cool in the press release.

Old October 24th 16, 06:33 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

See, after an interminable wait, I finally got something out:

http://positive-feedback.com/show-re...6-los-angeles/
http://positive-feedback.com/show-re...s-2016-awards/

2016 Winter NAMM Show Report Mike Rivers[_2_] Pro Audio 16 May 27th 16 01:34 PM
What is the status of the 2016 California Audio Show? [email protected] High End Audio 1 April 29th 16 01:22 AM
AES Show Report Scott Dorsey Pro Audio 6 July 2nd 15 04:08 PM
AES Show Report Mike Rivers Pro Audio 33 November 8th 05 08:42 AM
.Milan Show Report + RMAF Show. [email protected] High End Audio 0 September 25th 05 10:03 PM