Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Adam Stouffer Adam Stouffer is offline

Default 5662 thyratron oscillator

Well here it is, a 5662 "fuse" thyratron oscillating. Going a little
over 100v on the b+ caused it to stop and the same with dropping below
60v. The output sure is unique =) But if creating sound is what you're
after then this is perfect.

http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k162/astouffer/5662/

Adam
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
robert casey robert casey is offline

Adam Stouffer wrote:
Well here it is, a 5662 "fuse" thyratron oscillating. Going a little
over 100v on the b+ caused it to stop and the same with dropping below
60v. The output sure is unique =) But if creating sound is what you're
after then this is perfect.

You can do something like this with neon bulbs. See
http://members.misty.com/don/sillyne2.html
http://www.oberlin.edu/physics/catal...m/neonosc.html

Also I was never a big fan of digital storage 'scopes. Too easy to miss
high frequency paracitics in amplifiers and such. Paracitics that would
look like fuzz on an old fashioned analog 'scope.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

robert casey wrote:
Adam Stouffer wrote:

You can do something like this with neon bulbs. See
http://members.misty.com/don/sillyne2.html
http://www.oberlin.edu/physics/catal...m/neonosc.html

Also I was never a big fan of digital storage 'scopes. Too easy to miss
high frequency paracitics in amplifiers and such. Paracitics that would
look like fuzz on an old fashioned analog 'scope.

Ah glad someone finally replied The other two VCOs in my synth are
2D21 relaxation oscillators but this 5662 looks like its outputting two
frequencies at once. Now to find a way to mix three signals with a
single tube. Maybe a 6BE6? Nothing has to be too exact here.

The scope is a first gen digital HP 54200A. Its pretty worthless if
you're trying to see fast moving waveforms and HF noise shows up as
bunch of dots. The interface is clunky because its all pushbuttons and
menus and no knobs. I do like the amount of on screen measurements it
shows and GPIB capability. My next purchase is going to be a decent Tek
scope like a 2225.

Adam
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
robert casey robert casey is offline

Ah glad someone finally replied The other two VCOs in my synth are
2D21 relaxation oscillators but this 5662 looks like its outputting two
frequencies at once. Now to find a way to mix three signals with a
single tube. Maybe a 6BE6? Nothing has to be too exact here.

"Mix" as in "Multiply", like an RF mixer stage in a radio, or "Mix" like
a signal adder like in a mixer board in a recording studio?

If you want a multiplier, something like this circuit at my web page
http://pw2.netcom.com/~wa2ise/radios/6be6vol.html
might do. Inject the 2nd signal on G3.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

robert casey wrote:

"Mix" as in "Multiply", like an RF mixer stage in a radio, or "Mix" like
a signal adder like in a mixer board in a recording studio?

If you want a multiplier, something like this circuit at my web page
http://pw2.netcom.com/~wa2ise/radios/6be6vol.html
might do. Inject the 2nd signal on G3.

Mix as in an audio style mixer. My first thoughts were multigrid tubes
but there are some triple triodes with a common cathode in a 9 pin
socket. The 6ML8/6MD8 looks perfect. Some have the cathodes connected
internally to one side of the heater, not sure why though.

Adam

8102 and 5662 info sought Adam Stouffer Vacuum Tubes 12 July 7th 07 02:15 AM
thyRATron [email protected] Vacuum Tubes 10 August 21st 06 11:35 PM
Neve 1466 Oscillator Chris Pro Audio 4 September 24th 05 08:35 PM
Thyratron MGM Vacuum Tubes 0 February 25th 04 11:37 PM
Minimoog oscillator Greg Sz Vacuum Tubes 2 August 9th 03 05:38 AM