Posted to rec.audio.car
Anthony Watters Anthony Watters is offline

Default what ever happened to iasca?

what ever happened to iasca? can't seem to land on their website. has the
url changed?

Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F Tony F is offline

http://www.iasca.com

Tony

--
2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC

2006 Mustang GT Coupe
Alpine IVA-D310 DVD Head Unit, Alpine MRA-550 Digital 5.1 Amp, Boston
Acoustics Z-Series Speakers, Alpine SBS-05DC Center Channel Speaker,
Amplified MTX Thunderform Sub

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Of course, looking at this question in the broader sense....

Unfortunately, SQ took a backseat to SPL in terms of competitions. And it's
easy to see why, cars that sound really good aren't all that sexy to watch
actually competing. But watching/LISTENING/FEELING!!! cars breaking 160 SPL
is very exciting. And that's the direction competitive venues went.

But as Tony demonstrated IASCA is still around and you can still be a member
and recieve two of their AWESOME competition and tune-up CD's. But try to
find an IASCA event? That's a different story.

MOSFET

"Anthony Watters" wrote in message
news
what ever happened to iasca? can't seem to land on their website. has the
url changed?

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain_Howdy Captain_Howdy is offline

People don't do opinion comps no more.
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Yes, and that brings up the whole issue of using RTA measurements as a
guideline for scoring in the first place. IASCA introduced the RTA as a
tool for scoring as a way to make these contests less subjective (like the
SPL contests).

But we all know a perfectly flat RTA reading would SOUND terrible (there
would be no bass and WAY too much treble).

Yes, I know, what they were looking for was dramatic differences between one
frequency band to the next (which DOES effect sound quality if you have
sever cancellation or standing wave effects). But I knew SOOOO many
competitors (hell, I did it) that had one EQ setting for the RTA portion and
one EQ setting for the subjective, in car listening portion because we all
knew what the RTA wanted to see.

HOW MUCH SENSE DOES THAT MAKE?!?!?!

It was those kind of things that hurt IASCA.

MOSFET

"I. Care" wrote in message
et...
In article ,
says...
People don't do opinion comps no more.

If you saw the judges I did you know why. I also saw 2 freshly
calibrated RTA's of the same brand give different readings in the same
vehicle. Must have been placement problems even though they measured
distance from windshield, since the same stand was used, and the mic and
RTA are calibrated together I believe. Or maybe since one of them was
used for SQ that mic was damaged before the unlimited SPL contest was
started?

I could tell you some stories about SQ judging!
--
I. Care