Posted to rec.audio.pro
Matrixmusic

Default The Future of Audio

Where will we be in 5-10 years?
Will the big studio be gone?
Will DAW' s dominate?
Will we have to learn surround mixing techniques.
I am teaching at an institution that has plans for building a million $
surround room and a large studio.
Would we better off investing more money in building more smaller
rooms?
The role of music in the future?
Will musicians make up the next generation of excellent
producers/engineers?
How about programming skills?
Feedback would be great.
Kevin

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Smol

Matrixmusic wrote:
Where will we be in 5-10 years?

Wait, let me grab my chrystal ball.
"I see... I see..."

Will the big studio be gone?

Of course not. Where will you record bands?

Will DAW' s dominate?

They already do already. Pro Tools anyone?

Will we have to learn surround mixing techniques.

When you do stuff for movies you might. For others it might vary. I
actually think that it will remain the field for experts for some while
when it has to be done properly... pretty much like mastering is now.

I am teaching at an institution that has plans for building a million $
surround room and a large studio.

Cool. Am I invited?

Would we better off investing more money in building more smaller
rooms?

What do you want to do with those room? If you want to record symphony
orchestras or big bands, small rooms won't do.

The role of music in the future?

Head nodding and toe tapping.

Will musicians make up the next generation of excellent
producers/engineers?

Nope. They will overlap more though. Still I am of opinion that my
stuff could benefit from proper engineering by a pro.

How about programming skills?

Hey, I'm a computer programmer, so I'm all set.

Feedback would be great.

I love lots of feedback in my music

RS

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Matrixmusic wrote:
Where will we be in 5-10 years?
Will the big studio be gone?
Will DAW' s dominate?
Will we have to learn surround mixing techniques.
I am teaching at an institution that has plans for building a million $
surround room and a large studio.
Would we better off investing more money in building more smaller
rooms?

The purpose of a school is to teach students the background so they can
understand how things work. It's only to a lesser extent there to teach
the actual technology.

There are things that are easier to explain with older technology equipment
and things that are easier to explain with newer technology equipment, so
it helps to have both available to you.

There are some things you just can't do without a big room. Those things
are becoming less and less popular today, but they are still things that
students should be familiar with.

The role of music in the future?
Will musicians make up the next generation of excellent
producers/engineers?
How about programming skills?

Like always, most music will be background stuff that people don't really
listen to, and if they do listen to it, they do so because it is fashionable
and not because of anything inherent in the music. There will also always
be people making different musical forms that are intended to be listened to,
and that's an important thing.

I don't think you can be a good engineer without both knowing something about
music and something about technology. You can come at it from either direction
but you need to understand both to some extent.

I wish I could say that programming skills and dsp knowledge would become
important, but as we have fewer and fewer large studios, there are therefore
fewer studios that can afford the staff to have custom equipment and software
built for them.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Morgan \(MAMS\)

Don't you already have a paper by this name ??

;-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Matrixmusic

No Not at all.
The object of the question is,
"Training the next generation in production/engineering, business and
music"
Thanks
kevin

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill Ruys

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
oups.com...

Feedback would be great.

Only if you're designing circuits that call for it.

Which is also one of the rare situations where negative feedback is a good
thing ;o)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris

"Matrixmusic" wrote in message
oups.com...
Where will we be in 5-10 years?
Will the big studio be gone?
Will DAW' s dominate?
Will we have to learn surround mixing techniques.
I am teaching at an institution that has plans for building a million $
surround room and a large studio.
Would we better off investing more money in building more smaller
rooms?
The role of music in the future?
Will musicians make up the next generation of excellent
producers/engineers?
How about programming skills?
Feedback would be great.
Kevin

I have resisted adding to my two channel system. Maybe i'm too old, set in
my ways, inflexable but i find multi-channel listening too distracting to
enjoy , too overwhelming to derive real satisfaction from hearing what the
composer intended.I would like a bigger room so if you're school wants to
fund a new home for me you can email me and i'll tell you what i have in
mind...
I have been tempted to buy soemthing like a Kurzweil K-2600s and an
electric guitar , some mixing equipment and try my hand at composing
recording and marketing out of my home studio which while it is presently
set up purely for entertainment could easily become a working studio and
production center.If i had this set up twenty years ago i'd still have the
mental facility and enthusiasm of youth to go for it . Now i'll just over
analyze the idea to death and pop in a CD......

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Keilan

Just back from the future, it's awesome...

The DAW revolution was overthrown with the abolishment of microphones
due to magnetic laws in the future (this means speakers too!)

We now concentrate on getting the rooms sounding great, the backline
sounding great, the singer singing in tune, and the performances being
first class, LIVE!

We now use complex soundwave measuring equipment which analyses the
sound pressure impact on the live room and records these sound waves in
a means I can't even describe, but I'm afraid the machine making these
measurement has a linux backend (but don't worry, flatfish was
eventually found out to be some 15 year old kid with a wintel PC and
google).

Home listening is now AMAZING!! Home stereos are able to recreate the
original soundwaves captured in the room in a sort of holographic way,
and of course the stereos are tuned to the size/frequency response of
your own room (yet the accoustic quality is preseved, so even if you
have a terrible room, its sounds just the way it did in the studio).
You can choose where you wish the sound to be projected and walk up and
hear the sound in full 3D, put your ear where you think the snare or
kick would be, and you will hear it!

iPod's have been replaced with the iMplant which allows you to hear
music on the go, you can attenuate the balance between the music and
the outside world, and no one else hears it, its all in your head!! Bit
like this mush i just typed....

Chris wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

Bill Ruys wrote:

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
Feedback would be great.

Only if you're designing circuits that call for it.

Which is also one of the rare situations where negative feedback is a good
thing ;o)

Actually, I was thinking of an oscillator, where you need positive
feedback.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jay Kadis

In article , "Jim" wrote:

"Keilan" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You know what? He may not be so far from the mark. There's a lot of research
ongoing about creating sound field reproduction. At CCRMA, we have built a
surround room based on Ambisonic playback that will initially use about 20
speakers, including from below and above the listener. We're using Linux. And
since we're also interested in electronic music composition, the microphone is
not necessarily part of the equation, although we do have a Soundfield mic that
can be used for transducing acoustical pickup into such a playback environment.

There are plenty of other research labs working on such sound reproduction
environments, including the Iosono project (http://www.iosono-sound.com) and
some work at McGill University.

-Jay