Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

Default I Bit The Bullet...

.... and purchased a pair of Sony's MDR7506 headphones. Why? Well, my Phillips phones or cans, as some call them, lacked the high frequency end. See, music should be pleasant to listen too, not "harsh" sounding.

But, what I do find amazing, how many claim this or that pair of headphones sound great, but so very, very few grade CD audio during reviews.

Before Charley Lake was canned at WMGK-FM (Philly) [before Bill Weston took his duties - also manages WMMR-FM] I would e-mail him and tell him to get rid of that foul sounding Rolling Stones song!! He replied, "I guess you don't like ABKCO". He read my mind!! But, let's face facts, it's not like the top dogs in radio try very hard to impress with pristine sound quality, why HD Radio fell flat on its face. But, Charley was nice and asked where to purchase some CCR finer stereo. I TRY to help radio stay afloat!

A contributor sent this, a nice 7" vinyl rip. Sadly, Rolling Stone Magazine failed to mention it is not included on any Mirage album CD/DVD [box] set. Yeah, Classic Rock experts...

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...s/gypsy-fm.mp3

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Welcome to the REAL world of headphonedom!!

Next, try some Shure SRH-440s or AKG-271s.
You've taken a small step into a larger world,
young Jedi!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 8:59:55 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Welcome to the REAL world of headphonedom!!

Next, try some Shure SRH-440s or AKG-271s.
You've taken a small step into a larger world,
young Jedi!

Why thank you, Luke! After I destroy my digital audio competition, it's onward to destroying the Clone Army!

Never Sure of anything. I did tell you, when Stereo was growing popularity, Koss offered a switch on their Stereo headphones to mix to mono. Yucko!

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 7:56:33 PM UTC-4, JackA wrote:
[...]

My review. They sound okay!! Can tell sensitivity is where is should be.
Neat that there's a exploded view of its interior/exterior, with parts list.. Even a wiring diagram. Need more time to get used to.

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

[...]

If ANYTHING, these Sony headphones made me realize I was a bit too heavy with bass!! Sensitivity is near equal to my budget Phillips headphones.
I'm happy!

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 8/09/2016 4:40 a.m., JackA wrote:
If ANYTHING, these Sony headphones made me realize I was a bit too heavy with bass!! Sensitivity is near equal to my budget Phillips headphones.
I'm happy!

Jack

When mine new I was listening at home and after a bit had a panic attack
that the living room speakers were on blaring and thumping , which would
have been a problem as wifey was on the phone. Could have sworn my
trousers were flapping and the floor was shaking.

Tore off the 7506s , but in fact there were no loudspeakers running.

You should love the 7506s, as the have an extremely bright midrange -
may cure your 3k/K problem.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 6:24:53 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
On 8/09/2016 4:40 a.m., JackA wrote:
If ANYTHING, these Sony headphones made me realize I was a bit too heavy with bass!! Sensitivity is near equal to my budget Phillips headphones.
I'm happy!

Jack

When mine new I was listening at home and after a bit had a panic attack
that the living room speakers were on blaring and thumping , which would
have been a problem as wifey was on the phone. Could have sworn my
trousers were flapping and the floor was shaking.

Tore off the 7506s , but in fact there were no loudspeakers running.

You should love the 7506s, as the have an extremely bright midrange -
may cure your 3k/K problem.

Please, keep my 3kHz secret low-keyed, I wouldn't want Mike River's audio business to quadruple

This is a very nice post, Geoff, thank you.

I do like these Sony's, even purchased two sets of replacement ear cushions for down the road.

I enjoy doing audio work early morning, when no one is around to bother. But, like you, I'd hear something, then rip off the headphones, waiting for another knock at the door. No one was there, just like I heard the floor pound above me, it was in the recording, maybe someone bumped a microphone!

I enjoy what I call, doing forensic audio work - where was what recorded. During studio talk, someone dropped a metal object and a wood chair was dragged across the floor. Only one type of floor would make that noise - concrete! I then found, even Decca used the basement for recording. Probably an ideal place, to help rid a lot of interference. In this particular case, the Brill Building in NYC.

Jack

Jack

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

I enjoy what I call, doing forensic audio work -

Google the phrase "hold everything secure".

have fun

Mark
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 9:08:46 AM UTC-4, wrote:

I enjoy what I call, doing forensic audio work -

Google the phrase "hold everything secure".

have fun

Mark

Ah, JFK! Never knew he was heavy on meth!!

Thanks.

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

[...]

I am still enjoying my Sony Headphones!! Nice 'n' comfortable, too!! I can't say they are as sensitive as my Philips ($30) pair, but well acceptable! I can now hear tape hiss noise, and that is a plus! I am strange!

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

[...]

One thing I'd not prefer is the folding part. Rather have it fixed - too sloppy as is.
Plus, all the sudden, an ear cushion fell off!! Pain to put it back on! But I still like my Sony's!

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro

An ear pad fell off??

That has never happened to my with as many over-the-ear
headphones I've worn in thirty years. Are you wearing them
on a wooden roller coaster?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] garyv52@gmail.com is offline

On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 9:43:18 AM UTC-7, JackA wrote:
[...]

I also hate the folding part of the Sony 7506's. It seems to pinch my fingers way
too often. I really don't think the reduced space by folding headphones is a very
useful feature.

On a side note, I used the 7506 headphones for many years and thought they
were great. Someone, probably on this group, suggested the Sennheiser
HD 380 Pro's and once I became familiar with them, I like them better. When
I use the 7506's now, they don't appeal to me as much. This isn't a
diss against the 7506's but rather, I think, my acclimation to a different
listening experience.

Gary V
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 2:09:22 PM UTC-4, wrote:
An ear pad fell off??

That has never happened to my with as many over-the-ear
headphones I've worn in thirty years.

Well, with my robust audio enhancements, the headphones vibrate a lot.
Maybe with your choice weak audio, no vibrations occur!! :-)

I'm guessing the cushion wasn't installed properly at the factory!!
I have two sets of replacements.

Jack

Are you wearing them
on a wooden roller coaster?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 3:24:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

-- I agree. Probably most never have to transport them.

On a side note, I used the 7506 headphones for many years and thought they
were great. Someone, probably on this group, suggested the Sennheiser
HD 380 Pro's and once I became familiar with them, I like them better. When
I use the 7506's now, they don't appeal to me as much. This isn't a
diss against the 7506's but rather, I think, my acclimation to a different
listening experience.

-- Maybe Sennheiser's had greater sensitivity? I had a cheaper pair ($40) of Sennheiser's, not bad, cord eventually gave out.

Jack

Gary V

Posted to rec.audio.pro

JackA:

Cheap Sennheisers. Cord came out.

You are a destructive user of headphones!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 28/09/2016 10:49 AM, JackA wrote:

-- Maybe Sennheiser's had greater sensitivity? I had a cheaper pair
($40) of Sennheiser's, not bad, cord eventually gave out.

Jack

Curious as to what exact it is that you call 'sensitivity'. If
sensitivity in the normal sense, simply turn volume up to get the level
you want.

Also the foldability it not only for packing away. Treat less
hamfistedly if you don't want the removable ear-pads to become removed.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 11:47:55 PM UTC-4, Geoff wrote:
On 28/09/2016 10:49 AM, JackA wrote:

-- Maybe Sennheiser's had greater sensitivity? I had a cheaper pair
($40) of Sennheiser's, not bad, cord eventually gave out.

Jack

Curious as to what exact it is that you call 'sensitivity'. If
sensitivity in the normal sense, simply turn volume up to get the level
you want.

I had a similar, on the ear, Audio Technica pair of headphones. They sounded great with just a handheld Panasonic cassette tape player. Brought them to work, friend brought his more expensive Koss headphones, we compared. Yes, mine were louder, greater efficiency - you can call it, too. Greater dynamic ranger, etc..

Also the foldability it not only for packing away. Treat less
hamfistedly if you don't want the removable ear-pads to become removed.

Well they give you a carrying pouch, so I guess they need to be folded to fit it!!

Jack

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 9:17:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:
JackA:

Cheap Sennheisers. Cord came out.

You are a destructive user of headphones!

Cord failure are the MAJOR problem with headphones!

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro

JackA wrote: "Cord failure are the MAJOR problem with headphones"

Yeah, but it's happening more with you than with anyone
else on this newsgroup!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 8:24:09 AM UTC-4, wrote:
JackA wrote: "Cord failure are the MAJOR problem with headphones"

Yeah, but it's happening more with you than with anyone
else on this newsgroup!

Nonsense....

Notice, "the cable"...
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/this-is...keep-breaking/

Proved correct once again!

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

[...]

Two things about headphones...
These Sony's, unlike my Phillips, fit well when reversed. I was listening to some tune I had tweaked the night before. I thought the software or computer was acting up, the left guitar solo was on the right!! I was angered, then it dawned on me, I had the headphones on backwards!

Bought a "cheap" Sylania brand combination Radio/CD/Clock (not actually Sylvania, just licensed name). Had stereo speakers, maybe $20. It sounded as expected, really tin sounding. Later, I plug some "earlier" Sony headphones into it, and I thought I was listening to a Bose HQ System!!

Jack
Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 2:49:57 PM UTC-7, JackA wrote:
[...]

The strain relief on my HD 380's failed rather quickly. I have done non-invasive
repair a few times to keep it together. Someday I may tear it all apart and fix it
properly or just get another pair.

Gary V
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 28/09/2016 13:52, JackA wrote:
On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 8:24:09 AM UTC-4, wrote:
JackA wrote: "Cord failure are the MAJOR problem with headphones"

Yeah, but it's happening more with you than with anyone
else on this newsgroup!

Nonsense....

Notice, "the cable"...
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/this-is...keep-breaking/

Proved correct once again!

Yes, he was.

It does help if you buy decent headphones whose maker supports them, so
when the cable fails, you just put a new on on the headset.

Sennheiser professional grade headphones such as the DT-100 series have
*all* parts available as spares, though the cable costs as much a cheap
pair of domestic ones.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 28/09/2016 16:52, JackA wrote:

Though, I must admit, Bose, who's (also) Made In America is a far cry from a rip-off, like My Pillow!

BOSE. "Buy Other Sound Equipment". Though their outdoor speakers are
pretty weatherproof, and last for years of continuous use in the open
air. They still don't sound good, though...

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rick Ruskin Rick Ruskin is offline

On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 18:24:15 +0100, John Williamson
wrote:

On 28/09/2016 16:52, JackA wrote:

Though, I must admit, Bose, who's (also) Made In America is a far cry from a rip-off, like My Pillow!

BOSE. "Buy Other Sound Equipment". Though their outdoor speakers are
pretty weatherproof, and last for years of continuous use in the open
air. They still don't sound good, though...

The trouble with you is that you want too much.

Rick Ruskin
Lion Dog Music- Seattle WA
http://liondogmusic.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:

On 28/09/2016 16:52, JackA wrote:

Though, I must admit, Bose, who's (also) Made In America is a far cry from a rip-off, like My Pillow!

BOSE. "Buy Other Sound Equipment". Though their outdoor speakers are
pretty weatherproof, and last for years of continuous use in the open
air. They still don't sound good, though...

The trouble with you is that you want too much.

Likely for outdoor use he wants Turbosound.

I really liked the Tannoy i6AW... rotomolded ABS case, weatherproofed
dual concentric driver. A lifesaver for fills and delays at outdoor
music festivals but small enough for installed distributed systems.
Tannoy seems to have tried hard to get out of that whole market though.
I'm not sure I understand what is going on with them.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 1:22:24 PM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
On 28/09/2016 13:52, JackA wrote:
On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 8:24:09 AM UTC-4, wrote:
JackA wrote: "Cord failure are the MAJOR problem with headphones"

Yeah, but it's happening more with you than with anyone
else on this newsgroup!

Nonsense....

Notice, "the cable"...
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/this-is...keep-breaking/

Proved correct once again!

Yes, he was.

It does help if you buy decent headphones whose maker supports them, so
when the cable fails, you just put a new on on the headset.

Sennheiser professional grade headphones such as the DT-100 series have
*all* parts available as spares, though the cable costs as much a cheap
pair of domestic ones.

I see. So you fall for the Professional Grade BS?
Sennheiser? German? How much do those parts cost? Maybe a cord/cable costs as much as a new pair. Heck, I help with Maintenance of machines at work. A simple 1/4-20 square nut = $11.00 USD!

Maybe Sennheiser sends a service technician along to solder in the new, professional grade cord!!

Headphones come and go. No guarantee parts will be available tomorrow!

Thanks.

Jack
p.s. Though I liked your BOSE comment
They call it a waveguide, yet I recall speakers with a folded horn construction!!

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
UnsteadyKen[_7_] UnsteadyKen[_7_] is offline

In article ,
says...
Maybe Sennheiser sends a service technician along to solder in
the new, professional grade cord!!

No need. Many; if not most Sennneisers have plug in cables which makes
replacement easy, and they carry spares for years. I currently have a
pair of 598s and judging by the UK Sennheiser spares site, it looks as
though you could just about build a complete set from the available
spare parts.
http://headphonespares.sennheiser.co...dphones/hd-598

The only time I've been unable to get Sennheisers back on the road was
when the dog chewed a pair of HD414s in the mid 70s.

I currently have 4 pairs of phones, the 598s which are very comfortable.
I use these for general TV type listening, driven by a Yamaha receiver
https://goo.gl/pgzcNu
or a Denon USB DAC/headphone amp.
http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/hifi/dac/da300usb.

When I really want to hear what is on a disc I have a pair of Grado
SR80es
http://www.gradolabs.com/headphones/...s/item/1-sr80e
these are used with a TEAC A500i mini integrated amp
http://www.hifidatabase.com/Detailed...H500i_4728.php
Really excellent sound if a bit hard to drive, hence the TEAC amp.
You would like these phones, made by good ole boys in the USA, and from
a company with a long history of well regarded audio products,
wspecially phono cartridges.

Other phones are a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880 Chinese copies
http://www.micsdirect.com/isk_hf2010.htm
These sound good, are comfortable and very sturdy, which they need to be
as I use these for listening to radio in bed and they are liable to be
slept on regularly.

Also some Audio-Technica ATH-TD400s
http://eu.audio-technica.com/headphones/hifi/ATH-TAD400
Mostly used with a second CD system in the bedroom.

Note they are all open or semi-open phones, I just can't get on with
closed back sets, the bass and lower mid range never sound quite right
to me.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 5:33:43 PM UTC-4, UnsteadyKen wrote:
In article ,
says...
[...]

Wait a cotton picking second! I THOUGHT I was the only one on this planet called Earth who listened to music, via headphones, while falling to sleep!
Why I use my Sony's, no split "Y" cord to choke me to death, sleeping forever!

A nice, informative post. Salute!

I do have a pair of Audio Technica's (little less $$ than the Sony's) that I really never gave a fair trial run.

Grado's, huh? Made in NY, I think. BUT, for the LONGEST time, the "SPL 1mW: 99.8 dB" would make me turn my head to something else.

I'm not a big fan, JUST because it's "Made in The USA". I see social media being used for marketing hype (pay people to brag). There was a time in America when a fan engineer needed a .1 HP motor, but used a .25 HP because it was more standard, and squeezing out ever cent was not a major concern. I have an older (GM) Buick. A Firestone mechanic said to me, "Sir, they didn't make 'em like this anymore!"
Mom had a GM designed/built washing machine, vertical agitation. Thought it was fail prematurely, but it lasted forever w/o a drop of maintenance.
You've seen these TV commercials, lots of lies...
http://www.reviewbeforeyoubuyit.com/atomic-beam/
.... I'm a BIG fan of LED. Most are Lumens rated.

Looking at shortwave radios (to purchase), some claimed one model better than popular Sony, and Grundig (and/or whoever). Guess what, Made in China (Tecsun brand). Showed it to a coworker, he said that was the brand his professor said to purchase (guess they listened to shortwave for US activity).

You ever wish you could salute some of your heros, but never thought you'd have the opportunity? Well, Walter Jung (author) was one who I was able to, a couple decades later, thank him for his Op-Amp Phono cartridge premplifier, audiophile quality, I built from scratch!
http://waltjung.org/

Oh, and my computer programing (book) hero. Searching for audio related information and I find he too is involved in Audio!...
http://ethanwiner.com/

Anyway, glad your dog approved of the Sennheiser taste!

Be well.

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 9:08:46 AM UTC-4, wrote:

I enjoy what I call, doing forensic audio work -

Google the phrase "hold everything secure".

have fun

Mark

My Sony's at work!...

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...akemesmile.mp3

Quad mix :-)

Jack

WTB Shure 520 green bullet, 707, brown bullet [email protected] Pro Audio 2 October 18th 06 03:38 PM
JBL Bullet Tweeters Bill Roberts Precison \(mastering engineering\) Marketplace 0 November 2nd 05 12:21 AM
Your bullet, your gun, your neck. MINe 109 Audio Opinions 4 August 20th 05 07:15 PM
FS TAC Bullet B2 $650 Port Pro Audio 0 June 26th 04 11:16 PM
FS TAC Bullet B2 $650 Port Pro Audio 0 June 26th 04 11:16 PM