Posted to rec.audio.pro
Federico

Default Mackie HDR Problem, help!

Hello,
it happaned twice.... one night after the other....
While my HDR was recording a live show on full 24 tracks, 24bit 44.1KHz it
suddently stopped after some time (something more than 1 hour).
Some kind of sign showed up (something like "the recorder cannot record
anymore") but I was in a hurry so I cannot remember very well. It stopped
but it didn't shut down, not for a moment.
I was recording on an external HD and I had plenty of Gigas of space
free....
The first night I was in a club, VERY hot and VERY humid. The second gig was
in open space, medium hot and medium humidity.

Now I am very worried it will do it again.
I actually do not have time to test it before the next live recording
session.
What can the problem be? HD? OS? Age?

Thank you
F.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

"Federico" wrote ...
it happaned twice.... one night after the other....
While my HDR was recording a live show on full 24 tracks, 24bit 44.1KHz it
suddently stopped after some time (something more than 1 hour).
Some kind of sign showed up (something like "the recorder cannot record
anymore") but I was in a hurry so I cannot remember very well. It stopped
but it didn't shut down, not for a moment.
I was recording on an external HD and I had plenty of Gigas of space
free....
The first night I was in a club, VERY hot and VERY humid. The second gig
was in open space, medium hot and medium humidity.

Now I am very worried it will do it again.
I actually do not have time to test it before the next live recording
session.
What can the problem be? HD? OS? Age?

External HD? Does it work with internal HD?
Does it work with some *other* exernal HD?

Old vaudeville routine:

Man raising his arm: "Doc, it hurts when I do this."

Doctor: "Well, then don't do that!"

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Federico

The "external HD" is a swappable (did I spell it right?) IDE HD formatted
Fat32. Not a real "external" but it suits my needs.
F.

External HD? Does it work with internal HD?
Does it work with some *other* exernal HD?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Romeo Rondeau

"Federico" wrote in message
The "external HD" is a swappable (did I spell it right?) IDE HD formatted
Fat32. Not a real "external" but it suits my needs.
F.

If it got hot, you may have fried the drive, test it and check for
throughput and jacked up files. Hard drives that have been heat damaged with
have to re-read the sectors over and over to correct errors, reducing
throughput greatly. Once they have been damaged, they are done.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

Federico wrote:

I actually do not have time to test it before the next live recording
session.

What are you doing for the next hour? Turn it on and start recording.
It doesn't need any inputs. You just want to find out if it stops, and
what the error message is when it stops.

What can the problem be? HD? OS? Age?

There are a lot of things that could be wrong, but until you figure out
how to test it you'lll never know if you actually fixed anything.
Ribbon cables and card edge connectors are likely candidates - pull
them out and reseat them. A quick spray of contact cleaner (DeOxIt Pro
Gold is good) before re-seating the connectors can help. Power supplies
also become intermittent.

The standard cure-all is to reformat the internal hard drive (after
backing up any projects on it that you want to save) and re-install the
operating system.

Buy my book. It will tell you how to do that, as well as other useful
things about the Mackie HDR and MDR recorders.

http://www.cafepress.com/mikerivers

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Federico wrote:
The "external HD" is a swappable (did I spell it right?) IDE HD formatted
Fat32. Not a real "external" but it suits my needs.
F.

Yes, but does it work? And what WAS the error message? Without knowing the
message, there's no way anyone can even guess what happened. Try and make
the problem happen again under more controlled conditions.