Alan Chapman

Default Ribbon Tweeters

I have a pair of Optimus LX5s and a couple of pairs of the later RCA model
(not as good) both sold in years past by Radio Shack. All have ribbon
tweeters, which is the best thing you can say about these speakers. I'm
using them in a home theater application with a center and sub. I noticed
the earlier model LX5s with the transparent "cage" over the tweeters have
much better highs, so I removed the cloth covers on the RCAs and the
difference was amazing. I now do not want to put the covers back on. The
tweeters appear to be very fragile. Even blowing lightly on them is enough
to cause the ribbons to temporarily disfigure. Can anyone tell me if
leaving them exposed (to dust mostly) is a bad idea? Can I just carefully
blow them off occasionally without harming them? The cloth covers severely
attenuate and muddy their response. If letting them get dusty is a no-no
can anyone suggest a better covering material?

Thanks for any advice!

Alan Chapman

Kevin McMurtrie

"Alan Chapman" wrote:

[...]

That kind of ribbon tweeter is very cheap yet effective. It's just a
plastic film glued to a wire between two magnets.

Put stretched pantyhose over it? Check the quality of the impedance
matching transformer inside. It's probably wound by people who get paid
5 cents for every 100 they make. Winding new ones might help.

Quit blowing on the ribbons. They kink easily.