Scott Mumford

Default Weird static right-front speaker only: factory radio: 93 Civic (Very loud at times!)

Hello All...

A few months ago I started having terrible static (in my right-front
speaker only) from the factory radio in my '93 Civic. I assumed I blew
out the speaker, or that the speaker had a loose wire--but I swapped the
front left and right and it still came out of only the right front
channel.

It can be very loud at times--and is independent of the volume setting
on the radio/tape player. (I can turn the volume all the way down and
the static volume does not change. It's also intermittent: Sometimes
there is none (or very little), other times it sounds like something is
destroying the speaker from the inside out! Pops, 'crunching' noises,
hisses--it sounds quite demonic at times!

The volume of non-static sound is also greatly reduced from that
speaker--which is why I thought I had blown that one out...

Any idea what's wrong here? The other three speakers sound fine.
There doesn't seem to be anything visually wrong with that speaker (it
sounds fine if you plug it in to the LEFT front connector). Could
something be loose in the back of the radio??

I'm a car audio newbie--any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Scott
DJ TecThreat

sounds to me like your headunit is junked out..... more specificly the
volume POT or maybe the balance or fader POTs.

DJ TecThreat

"Scott Mumford" wrote in message
k.net...
[...]

Scott Mumford

Turning the volume or fader or balance back and forth seems to have no
effect on the amount or quality of the static... And if one of those
were bad--wouldn't you hear it in more than just the right-front
speaker?? (Forgive me if these are newbie questions.)

S.

In article , "DJ TecThreat"
beaniATcharter.net says...
[...]

DJ TecThreat

And if one of those
were bad--wouldn't you hear it in more than just the right-front
speaker??

well it all depends on what the issue is with them... it has to be the
headunit... it really cant be anything else unless this car has an external
amp from the HU which i doubt it does..

DJ TecThreat

celicacrazy

could be a poor connection or bad signal wire coming from the HU.

pull out the HU, separate the factory wiring harness from the HU clip,
and inspect the wire leads and terminals. perhaps the speaker wire has
started to deteriorate or is in some way not connecting tightly.

--
celicacrazy

DJ TecThreat

i dount its the wiring to the speaker considering the symptoms.... like...

He said "I can turn the volume all the way down and
the static volume does not change."

Now, if it was the wiring to the speaker it would obviously be silent when
the volume was all the way down..

Who's in my ball park with this?

DJ TecThreat

"celicacrazy" wrote in message

could be a poor connection or bad signal wire coming from the HU.

pull out the HU, separate the factory wiring harness from the HU clip,
and inspect the wire leads and terminals. perhaps the speaker wire has
started to deteriorate or is in some way not connecting tightly.

--
celicacrazy
celicacrazy's Profile:

http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/m...fo&userid=1211
View this thread:

http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/s...?threadid=8615

celicacrazy

hmmmm, good point. i didn't take my smart pills today

--
celicacrazy

DJ TecThreat

Yes this is a very good point/suggestion here... i see AC damage on alot of
head units at the shop..... and since this is a 93' and its the stock H.U.
the caps are probly dead, you're right jeff.

DJ TecThreat

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

Scott Mumford

Here's the latest:

I unhooked the RF speaker ('cuz sometimes it sounded like Jason himself
was trying to chop his way into the car!)--and now I'm hearing the same
static--although at MUCH LESS volume--from the REAR speaker! (I wonder
if it's been there the whole time--but the volume from the front was
masking it?)

Any hints on how to get the radio--sorry!--Head Unit out of the dash to
have a peek at what might be going on back there??

Thanks for the input so far! :-)

Scott

In article t,
says...