Posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan Carey Carlan is offline

Default The perfect handheld vocal mic?

I'm fed up with ****ty stage mics.

What handheld vocal mics have maximum resistance to plosives and handling
noise, and feedback?

I'm to the point that I really don't care how good it sounds. I don't
supply the amps and speakers, and all the PA I seem to work with sounds
like junk anyway. I just want a mic that picks up a voice and little else.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Carey Carlan wrote:
I'm fed up with ****ty stage mics.

What handheld vocal mics have maximum resistance to plosives and
handling noise, and feedback?

I'm to the point that I really don't care how good it sounds. I don't
supply the amps and speakers, and all the PA I seem to work with
sounds like junk anyway. I just want a mic that picks up a voice and
little else.

RODE S1 - best plosive-proofness I've come across.

geoff.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
Carey Carlan wrote:
I'm fed up with ****ty stage mics.

What handheld vocal mics have maximum resistance to plosives and handling
noise, and feedback?

In the cheap range: AKG D880.

In the medium range. Sennheiser 431

In the expensive range: Neumann KMS105. Also has huge and peaky top
end, but very lttle handling noise.

A tight pattern translates to high gain before feedback, and the ability
to work the mike at a distance. There are people out there, though, who
are microphone-eaters and used to shoving an SM-58 right up against their
lips. These people will have plosive problems with any microphone and the
only solution is proper mike technique.

I'm to the point that I really don't care how good it sounds. I don't
supply the amps and speakers, and all the PA I seem to work with sounds
like junk anyway. I just want a mic that picks up a voice and little else.

Start with a D880, available for under $50 used. Then try the 431.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

"Carey Carlan" wrote in message
I'm fed up with ****ty stage mics.

What handheld vocal mics have maximum resistance to plosives and handling
noise, and feedback?

I'm to the point that I really don't care how good it sounds. I don't
supply the amps and speakers, and all the PA I seem to work with sounds
like junk anyway. I just want a mic that picks up a voice and little

else.

Try a Shure KSM9. Also an E-V RE16, but ya gotta keep your hands off the
side vents.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
straightnut straightnut is offline

On Dec 2, 6:35 pm, Carey Carlan wrote:
I'm fed up with ****ty stage mics.

What handheld vocal mics have maximum resistance to plosives and handling
noise, and feedback?

I'm to the point that I really don't care how good it sounds. I don't
supply the amps and speakers, and all the PA I seem to work with sounds
like junk anyway. I just want a mic that picks up a voice and little else.

I recall a couple of years ago someone here suggesting an Oktava mic
that was designed to be practically eaten when singing. Supposedly
great for rejection because of the way it used proximity effect as an
intregal part of the design.

Jeff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Dec 2, 11:20 pm, straightnut wrote:
On Dec 2, 6:35 pm, Carey Carlan wrote:

I'm fed up with ****ty stage mics.

What handheld vocal mics have maximum resistance to plosives and handling
noise, and feedback?

I'm to the point that I really don't care how good it sounds. I don't
supply the amps and speakers, and all the PA I seem to work with sounds
like junk anyway. I just want a mic that picks up a voice and little else.

I recall a couple of years ago someone here suggesting an Oktava mic
that was designed to be practically eaten when singing. Supposedly
great for rejection because of the way it used proximity effect as an
intregal part of the design.

Jeff

Sorry, not Oktava but Audix. OM 5 6 or 7 maybe?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
LAB LAB is offline

What handheld vocal mics have maximum resistance to plosives and handling
noise, and feedback?

Good & cheap: Sennheiser evolution e835: cardioid, no proximity effect,
beautiful bright sound.

Gianluca

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"straightnut" wrote in message

On Dec 2, 11:20 pm, straightnut wrote:
On Dec 2, 6:35 pm, Carey Carlan
wrote:

I'm fed up with ****ty stage mics.

What handheld vocal mics have maximum resistance to
plosives and handling noise, and feedback?

I'm to the point that I really don't care how good it
sounds. I don't supply the amps and speakers, and all
the PA I seem to work with sounds like junk anyway. I
just want a mic that picks up a voice and little else.

I recall a couple of years ago someone here suggesting
an Oktava mic that was designed to be practically eaten
when singing. Supposedly great for rejection because of
the way it used proximity effect as an intregal part of
the design.

Sorry, not Oktava but Audix. OM 5 6 or 7 maybe?

I have a lot of OM5s and 6s. As close-in vocal mics they are surprisingly
lifelike.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"LAB" wrote in :

Good & cheap: Sennheiser evolution e835: cardioid, no proximity
effect, beautiful bright sound.

I like the idea of no proximity effect. The added bass from most
microphones emphasizes boomy PA systems.

The EV RE-16 is about three times the price, but it's a hypercardioid.
That should help with feedback.

What other directional (not omni) vocal handhelds have little or no
proximity effect?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Carey Carlan" wrote in message

"LAB" wrote in
:

Good & cheap: Sennheiser evolution e835: cardioid, no
proximity effect, beautiful bright sound.

I like the idea of no proximity effect. The added bass
from most microphones emphasizes boomy PA systems.

The EV RE-16 is about three times the price, but it's a
hypercardioid. That should help with feedback.

What other directional (not omni) vocal handhelds have
little or no proximity effect?

It's already been said, but might bear repeating - Audix OM series.
Hypercardiod dynamics. I have a number of OM5 and OM6 in SR use. OM5 for
girls, OM6 for boys. ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article , LAB wrote:
What handheld vocal mics have maximum resistance to plosives and handling
noise, and feedback?

Good & cheap: Sennheiser evolution e835: cardioid, no proximity effect,
beautiful bright sound.

No proximity effect = wide pattern = poor gain before feedback.

Beautiful bright sound = massive presence peak.

I found the e835 almost unusable because of the wide pattern, but I
found the e855 to be pretty good. Sadly, they discontinued it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Carey Carlan wrote:
"LAB" wrote in :

Good & cheap: Sennheiser evolution e835: cardioid, no proximity
effect, beautiful bright sound.

I like the idea of no proximity effect. The added bass from most
microphones emphasizes boomy PA systems.

Proximity effect is directly related to directionality. If you want a tight
pattern, you will get a bass boost. If you want no bass boost, you will
get an omni.

The EV RE-16 is about three times the price, but it's a hypercardioid.
That should help with feedback.

The RE-16 uses a an acoustical delay line to give you a bass cut up close
that counteracts the proximity effect. It's a trick, but it's a damn good
one, and nobody other than EV uses it.

The hypercardioid pattern can be a problem with vocalists who don't know
how to use it... you point the rear directly into a monitor and it WILL
feed back. If the vocalist knows how to use it, though, it can do wonders.

What other directional (not omni) vocal handhelds have little or no
proximity effect?

There are none of them, because the basic physics mean that proximity
effect and pattern are inextricably linked.

The best you can do is an EV mike with the variable-D trick like the 664,
RE-11, RE-16, etc.

However, there's also no reason you can't use the console EQ to counteract
proximity effect, unless the performer is unable to keep a constant distance
from the mike. And if that is the case, the EVs are a miracle.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
LAB LAB is offline

Good & cheap: Sennheiser evolution e835: cardioid, no proximity effect,
beautiful bright *and warm* sound

I like the idea of no proximity effect. The added bass from most
microphones emphasizes boomy PA systems.

Proximity effect is directly related to directionality. If you want a
tight pattern, you will get a bass boost. If you want no bass boost, you
will get an omni.

e835 is near omni at low frequencies, but it's directional at mid/high
freq's.

Gianluca

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article , LAB wrote:
Good & cheap: Sennheiser evolution e835: cardioid, no proximity effect,
beautiful bright *and warm* sound

I like the idea of no proximity effect. The added bass from most
microphones emphasizes boomy PA systems.

Proximity effect is directly related to directionality. If you want a
tight pattern, you will get a bass boost. If you want no bass boost, you
will get an omni.

e835 is near omni at low frequencies, but it's directional at mid/high
freq's.

Yes, all cardioids are like that.

Take the e835 and the e855. Speak into the front, then speak into the
side, 90 degrees off. Play it back and listen.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Federico Federico is offline

e835 is near omni at low frequencies, but it's directional at mid/high
freq's.

It's nearly omni under 125Hz as every mic I know...
F.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article , LAB wrote:
What handheld vocal mics have maximum resistance to plosives and handling
noise, and feedback?

Good & cheap: Sennheiser evolution e835: cardioid, no proximity effect,
beautiful bright sound.

No proximity effect = wide pattern = poor gain before feedback.

Thanks for pointing that out, Scott. I thought it an oxymoron:
cardioid, no proximity effect. Thanks for confirming....

jak
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Fletch Fletch is offline

On Dec 2, 3:35 pm, Carey Carlan wrote:
I'm fed up with ****ty stage mics.

What handheld vocal mics have maximum resistance to plosives and handling
noise, and feedback?

I'm to the point that I really don't care how good it sounds. I don't
supply the amps and speakers, and all the PA I seem to work with sounds
like junk anyway. I just want a mic that picks up a voice and little else.

Audio Technica's Artist Elite AE5400, 5100 are both great and designed
to compete with the Neumann 105. We use the 5400 on stage and it's
really sweet.

--Fletch
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roy W. Rising[_2_] Roy W. Rising[_2_] is offline

Carey Carlan wrote:
I'm fed up with ****ty stage mics.

What handheld vocal mics have maximum resistance to plosives and handling
noise, and feedback?

I'm to the point that I really don't care how good it sounds. I don't
supply the amps and speakers, and all the PA I seem to work with sounds
like junk anyway. I just want a mic that picks up a voice and little
else.

Lambaste me for heresy, if you must, but the EV 635A was purposely made for
the human voice. I've mic'd dozens of top-name singers with it and *never*
heard any handling noise or 'plosives. As for feedback? I put one on a
stand where the singer would be, raised the monitor to feedback and backed
it off 6 dB. When the vocalist arrived, he asked me to turn down the
monitor! Janis Joplin's level coming out of a 635A was -20 dBu!

--
~
~ Roy
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan Carey Carlan is offline

Fletch wrote in
:

Audio Technica's Artist Elite AE5400, 5100 are both great and designed
to compete with the Neumann 105. We use the 5400 on stage and it's
really sweet.

Opinions from a real user are valuable. How well does the low cut filter
compensate for pops and proxity? Remember, I'm working with rank amateurs.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan Carey Carlan is offline

"Paul Stamler" wrote in
:

Try a Shure KSM9. Also an E-V RE16, but ya gotta keep your hands off
the side vents.

The Shure is above my price range for this application. I don't need the
durability, and the sound quality is wasted going to cheap PA.

The RE-16 is an option.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan Carey Carlan is offline

Roy W. Rising wrote in
:

Lambaste me for heresy, if you must, but the EV 635A was purposely
made for the human voice. I've mic'd dozens of top-name singers with
it and *never* heard any handling noise or 'plosives. As for
feedback? I put one on a stand where the singer would be, raised the
monitor to feedback and backed it off 6 dB. When the vocalist
arrived, he asked me to turn down the monitor! Janis Joplin's level
coming out of a 635A was -20 dBu!

Another good candidate, but more dangerous feedback candidate when handheld
(wandering about the stage).

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Roy W. Rising wrote:
Carey Carlan wrote:
I'm fed up with ****ty stage mics.

What handheld vocal mics have maximum resistance to plosives and handling
noise, and feedback?

I'm to the point that I really don't care how good it sounds. I don't
supply the amps and speakers, and all the PA I seem to work with sounds
like junk anyway. I just want a mic that picks up a voice and little
else.

Lambaste me for heresy, if you must, but the EV 635A was purposely made for
the human voice. I've mic'd dozens of top-name singers with it and *never*
heard any handling noise or 'plosives. As for feedback? I put one on a
stand where the singer would be, raised the monitor to feedback and backed
it off 6 dB. When the vocalist arrived, he asked me to turn down the
monitor! Janis Joplin's level coming out of a 635A was -20 dBu!

The 635A will feed back less than most omnis because it's pretty clean
off-axis with no narrow peaks. I have used it for PA applications, and
the general gain before feedback isn't as good as an SM-57... but it sounds
really good in a situation where you can live with that. I strongly
recomend it for rear-miking guitar cabinets too, where feedback is usually
a non-issue.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] votemiles@hotmail.com is offline

On Dec 3, 8:54 am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
In article ,
Carey Carlan wrote:

[...]

Second the MD431. Sounds marvellous in a studio situation as well.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
LAB LAB is offline

SCOTTDORSEY:
Proximity effect is directly related to directionality. If you want a
tight pattern, you will get a bass boost. If you want no bass boost, you
will get an omni.

LAB:
e835 (no proximity effect) is near omni at low frequencies, but it's
directional at mid/high freq's.

FEDERICO:
It's nearly omni under 125Hz as every mic I know...

Uh?...

Sennheiser e835:
http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/resources/evo_835_GB.pdf/$File/evo_835_GB.pdf
(-3dB @ 180°)
Sennheiser e845:
http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/resources/e_845_US.pdf/$File/e_845_US.pdf
(-9dB @ 180°)
Sennheiser MKH40P48:
http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/resources/MKH_40_P_48_GB.pdf/$File/MKH_40_P_48_GB.pdf
(~ -30dB @ 180°)
Shure SM58:
http://www.shure.com/stellent/groups..._specsheet.pdf
(-11dB @ 180°)
Shure 565:
http://www.shure.com/stellent/groups...pro_565_ug.pdf
(-12dB @ 180°)
Audix Om5: http://www.audixusa.com/Acrobat/OM5_spec_sheet.pdf (-14dB @ 180°)

Which mics are you talking about?...

Gianluca

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Federico Federico is offline

Which mics are you talking about?...

The other ones :-)
F.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
LAB LAB is offline

Ooops...

I don't sell e835 mics... But I like very much the mine.

Gianluca

Posted to rec.audio.pro
LAB LAB is offline

^__^

Posted to rec.audio.pro
LAB LAB is offline

P.S.: Ma perchè tiamo qui a parlare in Inglese? Possiamo anche continuare in
un NG IT... :-)

Gianluca

--
Non temer mai di dire cose insensate. Ma ascoltale bene, quando le dici.
(L. Wittgenstein)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Earl Kiosterud Earl Kiosterud is offline

I've been using RE-18 mics for years. Good proximity control, but a noisy mic,
handling-wise, and it's supposed to be quieter than the RE-16 in that regard. It doesn't
have treble boost engineered into it, as do a lot of PA mics to counteract the proximity
effect low-freq emphasis at close range. Consequently, it doesn't have the
suppressed-midrange sound of typical PA mics (make a bad PA sound better than it really does
g ), and so tends to sound flatter by comparison. It sounds more like an omni. It sounds
fine, has very good feedback rejection, and can be used at varying distances.
--
Regards from Virginia Beach,

Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message ...
Carey Carlan wrote:
"LAB" wrote in :

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

wrote:

I'm fed up with ****ty stage mics.

What handheld vocal mics have maximum resistance to
plosives and handling noise, and feedback?

I'm to the point that I really don't care how good it
sounds. I don't supply the amps and speakers, and all
the PA I seem to work with sounds like junk anyway. I
just want a mic that picks up a voice and little else.

I recall a couple of years ago someone here suggesting
an Oktava mic that was designed to be practically eaten
when singing. Supposedly great for rejection because of
the way it used proximity effect as an intregal part of
the design.

Sorry, not Oktava but Audix. OM 5 6 or 7 maybe?

I have a lot of OM5s and 6s. As close-in vocal mics they are surprisingly
lifelike.

I find those fine stage mics.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Carey Carlan wrote:

What other directional (not omni) vocal handhelds have little or no
proximity effect?

Audix OM mics, even the OM3 works well and for little money.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Fletch Fletch is offline

On Dec 3, 10:51 am, Carey Carlan wrote:
Fletch wrote :

Audio Technica's Artist Elite AE5400, 5100 are both great and designed
to compete with the Neumann 105. We use the 5400 on stage and it's
really sweet.

Opinions from a real user are valuable. How well does the low cut filter
compensate for pops and proxity? Remember, I'm working with rank amateurs.

It works well enough, and if you EQ out the rest then you're good to
go. I find minor adjustments, based on a given room, will always be
required anyway.

--Fletch

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Fletch Fletch is offline

On Dec 3, 10:36 am, Roy W. Rising
wrote:
Carey Carlan wrote:
[...]

Yeah, the 635a is a great little "go to" mic for a lot of stuff.

--Fletch
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan Carey Carlan is offline

Carey Carlan wrote in
:

I'm fed up with ****ty stage mics.

What handheld vocal mics have maximum resistance to plosives and
handling noise, and feedback?

I'm to the point that I really don't care how good it sounds. I don't
supply the amps and speakers, and all the PA I seem to work with
sounds like junk anyway. I just want a mic that picks up a voice and
little else.

Thanks to all for a whole slew of good suggestions. Now I'll see what I
can do about auditioning the various candidates.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Carey Carlan wrote:
"LAB" wrote in :

[...]

I failed to mention that the RE-18 is identical to the RE-16, except for the noise
isolation. That's why I mentioned it in this thread.

And I keep forgetting that it's bottom-posting in these parts. Sorrrrrry.
--
Regards from Virginia Beach,

Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Earl Kiosterud wrote:

I failed to mention that the RE-18 is identical to the RE-16, except
for the noise isolation. That's why I mentioned it in this thread.

And I keep forgetting that it's bottom-posting in these parts. Sorrrrrry.

Yes , it's "bottom posting", but it's also "trim all the unnecessary crap
off the top so everybody doesn't have to scroll down several pages to get to
yor couple of lines"....

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 13:51:59 -0500, Carey Carlan wrote
(in article ):

Fletch wrote in
:

Audio Technica's Artist Elite AE5400, 5100 are both great and designed
to compete with the Neumann 105. We use the 5400 on stage and it's
really sweet.

Opinions from a real user are valuable. How well does the low cut filter
compensate for pops and proxity? Remember, I'm working with rank amateurs.

With the low cut filter on, you can fairly eat the AE5400. I reviewed it when
it came out and was shocked at how good it sounded.

AT used some of the AT4050 capsule technology in the AE5400.

The review is in my OnLine Archive.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Looking for good quality handheld vocal mic Chris Whealy Pro Audio 46 February 21st 07 07:37 PM
Mic2496 Handheld Mic Pre/A-to-D Len Moskowitz Marketplace 0 June 24th 04 04:19 PM
Handheld condensers Kevin Pro Audio 4 May 10th 04 02:33 PM
Looking for a $200.00 handheld. Larry Lindstrom General 0 August 27th 03 07:36 PM