John Richards

Default Walkman headphone cable as FM antenna

I would like to replace the standard ear bud headphones that came with my
walkman FM radio with a decent pair of "real" headphones. I thought the
only issue would be if the walkman was capable of driving regular headphones
but when I plugged a pair of display headphones into the walkman, the FM
reception was so poor it was unlistenable. I suspect that because the
walkman is designed to use the headphone cord as the FM antenna, the cable
on the full size display headphones were not functioning as an antenna.

Are headphone cables for typical walkman type devices designed differently
from cables for full size headphones? Can I determine from the specs or
description if a certain pair of headphones will function as an antenna with
my walkman?

Thanks
John

Richard Crowley

"John Richards" wrote in message
I would like to replace the standard ear bud headphones that came with my
walkman FM radio with a decent pair of "real" headphones. I thought the
only issue would be if the walkman was capable of driving regular
headphones
but when I plugged a pair of display headphones into the walkman, the FM
reception was so poor it was unlistenable. I suspect that because the
walkman is designed to use the headphone cord as the FM antenna, the cable
on the full size display headphones were not functioning as an antenna.

Are headphone cables for typical walkman type devices designed differently
from cables for full size headphones? Can I determine from the specs or
description if a certain pair of headphones will function as an antenna
with
my walkman?

Is your "real headphone" cable coiled?
(vs. straight for the OEM earbuds?)
How far away from the FM transmitters
are you? (urban, suburban, rural?)

Gary A. Edelstein

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:51:01 GMT, "John Richards"
wrote:

I would like to replace the standard ear bud headphones that came with my
walkman FM radio with a decent pair of "real" headphones. I thought the
only issue would be if the walkman was capable of driving regular headphones
but when I plugged a pair of display headphones into the walkman, the FM
reception was so poor it was unlistenable. I suspect that because the
walkman is designed to use the headphone cord as the FM antenna, the cable
on the full size display headphones were not functioning as an antenna.

Are headphone cables for typical walkman type devices designed differently
from cables for full size headphones? Can I determine from the specs or
description if a certain pair of headphones will function as an antenna with
my walkman?

Normally, the ground wire is the antenna. All headphones have a
ground wire. Did you try other headphones? It could be the ground
wire on the set you tried isn't long enough or positioned correctly.

Gary E
--
|Gary A. Edelstein
(remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
|"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo
Jerry G.

The headphone wire is the antenna on your unit, just like many of the
others. The lead cord from the headphones has to be matched to some degree
to act as an antenna. The front end RF amplifier is coupled to the headphone
wires to act as an antenna. Some models of headphones use shielded wires.
This type will make a very poor antenna most of the time.

--

Jerry G.
======

[...]

John Richards

Thanks to all who replied. I had stopped into Best Buy and they only had
one pair of headphones available for demonstration. I had my walkman with
me and the reception was fine in the store with the headphones that came
with the walkman so I don't think the problem had anything to do with my
location. The headphones that I tried did not have a coiled cable (as far
as I remember). I haven't been able to try other headphones as most that
are available locally are packaged and unavailable for audition. I had read
that the Grado SR-60 phones(which I would have to order) work well with
personal CD players but I want something that will also work with a walkman
FM radio, so I'm unsure of how to determine which phones would work. Any
further thoughts?

John

"Jerry G." wrote in message
[...]

Barry Mann

In , on 11/19/04
at 03:51 PM, "John Richards" said:

I would like to replace the standard ear bud headphones that came with
my walkman FM radio with a decent pair of "real" headphones. I
thought the only issue would be if the walkman was capable of driving
regular headphones but when I plugged a pair of display headphones
into the walkman, the FM reception was so poor it was unlistenable. I
suspect that because the walkman is designed to use the headphone cord
as the FM antenna, the cable on the full size display headphones were
not functioning as an antenna.

This is an FM only unit? Can you play a CD? Does the CD sound OK? It is
possible that the "real" headphones are upsetting the walkman, making
you think that it's an FM reception issue.

Are headphone cables for typical walkman type devices designed
differently from cables for full size headphones? Can I determine
from the specs or description if a certain pair of headphones will
function as an antenna with my walkman?

Did you have your "buds" with you? Was reception OK with the buds, but
not with the standard headphones? (keeping in mind my comment above) It
could be that the store location was in poor reception area. In a store
situation, particularly if there is a wall of TV's nearby, reception
could be poor in any case.

Wire length would be the most important characteristic and results
would probably be best if the wire was extended, rather than coiled.

A headphone wire antenna is generally not very effective, but in strong
signal areas you might get lucky.

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

FA: Neve, Manley, TT patch cables, Eventide, Neumann, Coles, bulk cable, connectors, etc. Lowndes Pro Audio 0 March 6th 04 05:01 PM
Some serious cable measurements with interesting results. Bruno Putzeys High End Audio 78 December 19th 03 03:27 AM
cabling explained Midlant Car Audio 8 November 14th 03 03:07 AM
Comment about speaker cables/interconnects Martin High End Audio 18 September 17th 03 04:07 PM
Quad snake cable Justin Ulysses Morse Pro Audio 8 July 3rd 03 05:10 PM