jim

Default connecting a cd deck to an amp with only tape/phono/tuner inputs?

Hi all
Im hoping you can help me. I have an old amplifier with DIN inputs for tape,
phono and radio tuner only. I was wondering if it was possible to connect a cd
deck to this by plugging it into either the tape/phono/tuner input. will this
work, it'd be handy to know before shelling out for a cd deck!
thanks very much if you can help
jim
Barry Mann

In , on 12/26/04
at 04:29 PM, (jim) said:

Hi all
Im hoping you can help me. I have an old amplifier with DIN inputs for
tape, phono and radio tuner only. I was wondering if it was possible
to connect a cd deck to this by plugging it into either the
tape/phono/tuner input. will this work, it'd be handy to know before
shelling out for a cd deck! thanks very much if you can help
jim

Generally, on consumer gear, there are only three types of inputs:
Phono, Mic (microphone), and Line level. "Line level" is a generic term
for devices such as tape decks, VCR's, tuners, computers, etc.
(everything except Phono or Mic)

In your case either tape or tuner is appropriate for the CD player.

Note, however, that CD players generally put out a whopping signal
(about 2.0V) that may overload some older European DIN inputs that were
expecting something on the order of 0.1V. If this is your situation,
you may have enough range on your volume control do deal with the
situation, but the CD player may be very loud compared to the other
devices. In a few cases there will be obvious distortion and you'll
have to reduce the CD's output (some have output level controls) or
install an "attenuator" in the signal wire between the CD player and
your device.

spam:

wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)