Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default It's a Goldmund, no its a Pioneer!

Pioneer

http://audiostereo.lukarnet.com/gfx/960000/969938_1.jpg

versus

Goldmund

http://audiostereo.lukarnet.com/gfx/960000/969938_2.jpg

Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , "Arny Krueger" wrote:
Pioneer

http://audiostereo.lukarnet.com/gfx/960000/969938_1.jpg

versus

Goldmund

http://audiostereo.lukarnet.com/gfx/960000/969938_2.jpg

Swiss made ??
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"GregS" wrote in message

In article
, "Arny
Krueger" wrote:
Pioneer

http://audiostereo.lukarnet.com/gfx/960000/969938_1.jpg

versus

Goldmund

http://audiostereo.lukarnet.com/gfx/960000/969938_2.jpg

Swiss made ??

It appears to be assembled in Switzerland using boards and transport
designed in Japan and made in China.

I've seen one other example of this, except the assembler added his own
output buffer and power supply for the buffer.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Wilson[_2_] Trevor Wilson[_2_] is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..
Pioneer

http://audiostereo.lukarnet.com/gfx/960000/969938_1.jpg

versus

Goldmund

http://audiostereo.lukarnet.com/gfx/960000/969938_2.jpg

**This is not news. Most high end manufacturers have used or still use mass
market transports, DACs and other stuff. It's a standard con-job and has
been going on for almost 2 decades.

Trevor Wilson

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias[_2_] Mark D. Zacharias[_2_] is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..
Pioneer

http://audiostereo.lukarnet.com/gfx/960000/969938_1.jpg

versus

Goldmund

http://audiostereo.lukarnet.com/gfx/960000/969938_2.jpg

Pioneer main board - looks like a Sony mech, though. I've seen them in the
HCD-FC9, a "dvdceiver".

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in
message t
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..
Pioneer

http://audiostereo.lukarnet.com/gfx/960000/969938_1.jpg

versus

Goldmund

http://audiostereo.lukarnet.com/gfx/960000/969938_2.jpg

Pioneer main board -

Boards as in both boards, right?

looks like a Sony mech, though. I've
seen them in the HCD-FC9, a "dvdceiver".

What little I see of the Goldmund-ized DVD deck identically matches what I
see in the photo of the Pioneer.

Looks to me like Goldmund unsoldered the output jacks from the signal board
and ran twisted pair (not even shielded wire) over to their new back panel.

Goldmund may have added their own toroidal power transformer.

Goldmund added their own circuit card for the output jacks.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Arny Krueger wrote:

http://audiostereo.lukarnet.com/gfx/960000/969938_1.jpg

http://audiostereo.lukarnet.com/gfx/960000/969938_2.jpg

Not enough resolution to refute differences on component level, but also no
obviously replaced capacitors and a very good question about whether a bit
of possibly occured pcb rework and a new cabinet warrants the differenc in
price.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Peter Larsen" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

http://audiostereo.lukarnet.com/gfx/960000/969938_1.jpg

http://audiostereo.lukarnet.com/gfx/960000/969938_2.jpg

Not enough resolution to refute differences on component
level, but also no obviously replaced capacitors and a
very good question about whether a bit of possibly
occured pcb rework and a new cabinet warrants the
differenc in price.

My sentiments, exactly.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[...]

Of the two pics I saw using the given links, only one shows the "business
end" of the DVD mech - that is, the traverse unit. Can't be definitive that
they have the same mech at all from those pictures.

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:

http://audiostereo.lukarnet.com/gfx/960000/969938_1.jpg

http://audiostereo.lukarnet.com/gfx/960000/969938_2.jpg

Not enough resolution to refute differences on component
level, but also no obviously replaced capacitors and a
very good question about whether a bit of possibly
occured pcb rework and a new cabinet warrants the
differenc in price.

My sentiments, exactly.

Its that subjective thing again - you can bet there are people out there who
would be very happy with what they've got and what they paid for it, and
maybe appreciate what little upgrade there really is. I wonder how they
would feel if they only had to pay an extra 100 dollars? Maybe that just
wouldn't do it for them at all.

I've often wondered whether really expensive caviar really does taste really
really good. I bet if was in the supermarket at 2 dollars a can it
wouldn't, and none would get sold.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Andrew Barss Andrew Barss is offline

Peter Larsen wrote:
: Arny Krueger wrote:

: http://audiostereo.lukarnet.com/gfx/960000/969938_1.jpg

: http://audiostereo.lukarnet.com/gfx/960000/969938_2.jpg

: Not enough resolution to refute differences on component level, but also no
: obviously replaced capacitors and a very good question about whether a bit
: of possibly occured pcb rework and a new cabinet warrants the differenc in
: price.

What is the difference in price?

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message

Peter Larsen wrote:
Arny Krueger wrote:

http://audiostereo.lukarnet.com/gfx/960000/969938_1.jpg

http://audiostereo.lukarnet.com/gfx/960000/969938_2.jpg

Not enough resolution to refute differences on component
level, but also no obviously replaced capacitors and a
very good question about whether a bit of possibly
occured pcb rework and a new cabinet warrants the
differenc in price.

What is the difference in price?

$200 for the Pioneer, $6,000 for the Goldmund.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
bob bob is offline

On Jan 20, 5:24*pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:

$200 for the Pioneer, $6,000 for the Goldmund.

I think that's 6000 GBP, which 12K USD.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Arny Krueger wrote:
: "Andrew Barss" wrote in message
:
: Peter Larsen wrote:
: Arny Krueger wrote:
:
: http://audiostereo.lukarnet.com/gfx/960000/969938_1.jpg
:
: http://audiostereo.lukarnet.com/gfx/960000/969938_2.jpg
:
:
: Not enough resolution to refute differences on component
: level, but also no obviously replaced capacitors and a
: very good question about whether a bit of possibly
: occured pcb rework and a new cabinet warrants the
: differenc in price.
:
:
:
: What is the difference in price?

: $200 for the Pioneer, $6,000 for the Goldmund.

Yowza!

-- Andy Barss

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

Peter Larsen wrote:
Arny Krueger wrote:

http://audiostereo.lukarnet.com/gfx/960000/969938_1.jpg

http://audiostereo.lukarnet.com/gfx/960000/969938_2.jpg

Not enough resolution to refute differences on component
level, but also no obviously replaced capacitors and a
very good question about whether a bit of possibly
occured pcb rework and a new cabinet warrants the
differenc in price.

What is the difference in price?

$200 for the Pioneer, $6,000 for the Goldmund.

And the Goldmund appears to use a phenolic PCB?

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Peter Larsen wrote:
Arny Krueger wrote:

http://audiostereo.lukarnet.com/gfx/960000/969938_1.jpg

http://audiostereo.lukarnet.com/gfx/960000/969938_2.jpg

Not enough resolution to refute differences on
component level, but also no obviously replaced
capacitors and a very good question about whether a
bit of possibly occured pcb rework and a new cabinet
warrants the differenc in price.

What is the difference in price?

$200 for the Pioneer, $6,000 for the Goldmund.

Or 6,000 Pounds? Unbelieveable!

And the Goldmund appears to use a phenolic PCB?

I don't think that *anybody* credible uses phenolic PCBs in even mid-priced
gear. That's reserved for $39.95 cheapies, I think.

I could be wrong, but Pioneer is probably using either mid grade or high
grade FRP in the DVD player that obviouisly is the basis for the Goldmund.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..
And the Goldmund appears to use a phenolic PCB?

I don't think that *anybody* credible uses phenolic PCBs in even

mid-priced
gear. That's reserved for $39.95 cheapies, I think.

And even most of those use FRP now.

I could be wrong, but Pioneer is probably using either mid grade or high
grade FRP in the DVD player

Looks like it.

that obviouisly is the basis for the Goldmund.

Have another look at the color of the LHS board in the Goldmund then. The
RHS board is obviously FRP, the LHS board sure doesn't look like it to me.
Of course photo's can be misleading. I'm sure not interested in finding out
in any case :-)

MrT.