Posted to rec.audio.tech, sci.electronics.repair, uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro
EADGBE EADGBE is offline

Default QUESTION: JBL Speaker Rattle

I recently found a very clean pair of JBL L19
speakers. These speakers look new.

Before buying them, I examined the speaker
surrounds thoroughly. All of them appear to
be in perfect condition.

I took them home and hooked them up.

They sound very good, but I am hearing
a slight rattle coming from one of the woofers.
The rattle is not very loud at all, and in fact
is almost inaudible most of the time. But you
can definitely hear it if you are listening to
certain things like a bass-heavy radio
announcer's voice or a soft piano solo.

The woofers on the JBL L19's have a
bowl-shaped piece of paper glued to the
center of the cone. I have verified that the
glue is solid all the way around; I have even
run a very fine bead of glue left over from a
speaker surround kit all the way around the
bowl, but the rattle persists.

I can make the rattle go away if I gently put
my finger on certain places in the center of
the woofer cone. I can make the rattle worse
if I put my finger on the surround, near the
top of the speaker.

One more thing: I can hear a slight rubbing
noise if I gently push the woofer's cone back
and forth on the top half of the speaker. I do
NOT hear this rubbing noise if I push the cone
anywhere on the bottom half, and I do NOT
hear the rubbing noise if I push both the top
and bottom halves at the same time (in other
words, if I push the cone in a "balanced" way).

I have verified that NOTHING is touching the
back of the speaker; no wires, no insulation
or anything else.

I am suspecting that maybe the spider is
out of round or off-center, or maybe the voice
coil is off-center.

What can I do to further diagnose, and then fix,
this annoying problem?
Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 07:16:19 -0800 (PST), EADGBE
wrote:

[...]

When the rubbing is very slight you can usually cure it by unbolting
the speaker, rotating it 180 degrees and bolting it back in.
Everything sags slightly the other way and bits that were touching
stop doing so.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

wrote:

I recently found a very clean pair of JBL L19
speakers. These speakers look new.

Before buying them, I examined the speaker
surrounds thoroughly. All of them appear to
be in perfect condition.

Eyesight alone is not a judge of condition. If you poke at
them, they should not tear.

[...]

That may work. If the voice coil is good, a suround repair could also center
the driver, but it may be a little more difficult to make it look orginal
when done due to the center piece.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro

wrote:

I am suspecting that maybe the spider is
out of round or off-center, or maybe the voice
coil is off-center.

What can I do to further diagnose, and then fix,
this annoying problem?

One easy thing to try is to mount the speaker the other way up.
Otherwise get it re-coned. This may or may not be cost-effective.
Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro
Bob Urz Bob Urz is offline

EADGBE wrote:
[...]

More than likely, the speaker was overdriven and the voice coil hit the
pole piece and warped the coil. Recone or replacement is the only
solution then.

There is a chance that the spider has come unglued. CHeck under the cone
in the basket area to confirm the spider is firmly connected to the cone
and the speaker basket. I have not seen this in a JBL, but i have seen
it before (not very often though)

Speakers of the 10/15 year old vintage often suffer from dry rot of the
cone surround. Check closely for any MICRO fracture of where the
surround connects to the basket or the cone itself. THis is the first
stage of self destruction.

bob

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro
Keith G Keith G is offline

"EADGBE" wrote in message

I recently found a very clean pair of JBL L19
speakers. These speakers look new.

snip

According to my reader, the last time this crossposting clown posted in ukra
was 18/05/07 to ask for free advice with questions about more dodgy old
gear, splashed across a different spread of newsgroups and then failed to
acknowledge the bunch of helpful replies he received....

Hmmm....

On Jan 14, 11:19 am, "Keith G" wrote:

According to my reader, the last time this crossposting clown posted in ukra
was 18/05/07 to ask for free advice with questions about more dodgy old
gear, splashed across a different spread of newsgroups and then failed to
acknowledge the bunch of helpful replies he received....

Hmmm....

Then you don't know how to read your reader, asshole.

If you ACTUALLY did the research you claim to have done, you will
find that I have consistently and publicly thanked the people who
took the time to help me.

....And I will thank YOU to keep your smart-ass comments to yourself
in the future.

This is the last you'll hear from me. If you want to satisfy your
juvenile
urge to flame me some more, go right ahead. I won't take the bait.

Have a nice day.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro
Keith G Keith G is offline

"EADGBE" wrote in message
[...]

The words '**** off spammer' spring immediately to mind...

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro

In article ,
Keith G wrote:
The words '**** off spammer' spring immediately to mind...

A strange spammer who isn't trying to sell or promote anything...

--
*If PROGRESS is for advancement, what does that make CONGRESS mean?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

"Keith G" wrote in message

"EADGBE" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Keith - long time no speak. How's it hanging ? Missus OK ? FWIW, this guy
posts often on s.e.r. and I have never known him to be impolite or to fail
to acknowledge any responders to his questions, myself included.

Arfa

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro
clifto clifto is offline

EADGBE wrote:
They sound very good, but I am hearing
a slight rattle coming from one of the woofers.
The rattle is not very loud at all, and in fact
is almost inaudible most of the time. But you
can definitely hear it if you are listening to
certain things like a bass-heavy radio
announcer's voice or a soft piano solo.

I had that effect in some Pioneer speakers way back when because the foam
surround was coming loose from the cones. I would have sworn that the
voice coils were warped and touching the magnet cores.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro
JANA JANA is offline

I have had this before. The speaker has to be re-coned, or the surround has
to be changed. There are a fair number of places that specialize in speaker
driver rebuilding. The cone or the spider is off centre.

As the drivers age, they can go off centre. Some people suggest turning them
around in their mounts, but this does not properly fix the problem.

When rebuilding a driver, I would have both re-built at the same time. This
would insure that that they are matched.

The other solution is to call the JBL rep and order a new driver.

The fault you are having is common on many types of speakers. We send out
speakers for rebuilding for our clients.

--

JANA
_____

"EADGBE" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro
Keith G Keith G is offline

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Keith G" wrote in message

"EADGBE" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Arfa! All is well here, thanks - hope the same with you! (Dinky little
drive belt continues to work perfectly!)

Anyway, regarding our Guitar String friend (that anyone should be so quick
to support me when U No Hoo is flicking his little calumnies my way!) - as I
said above: On my machine (which is new, so it don't go back all the way to
the Big Bang) I have only one former entry which shows another instance of
him crossposting a request for advice and no sign of a response of any kind
to the 4 replies he received:

http://www.apah69.dsl.pipex.com/show/ukra.jpg

I speak as I find...!!

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

"Keith G" wrote in message
news

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Keith G" wrote in message

"EADGBE" wrote in message
[...]

Fair enough , Keith. I would have to say that it was possibly an oversight
then, because as I said, I have typically found him to be a responsible
poster, definitely not in the class of 'spammer' or 'troll' ...

Glad you're all well, and the belt is still ok. Fleetie pops in over here
from time to time. I'll have to try to find the (computer) time to pop over
there again soon for a chat with all you guys.

Arfa

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro
Keith G Keith G is offline

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 18:24:25 +0000, Keith G wrote:

"EADGBE" wrote in message
[...]

I've known EADGBE to be anything but a spammer.

Who the **** cares - I have clear evidence that he's a twice a year blow-in
wanting free advice and obviously doesn't consider it ill-mannered to smear
it all over several separate newsgroups to get what he wants and without a
word of thanks. Look at the pic:

http://www.apah69.dsl.pipex.com/show/ukra.jpg

Work it out for yourself....

Delete 'spammer' and insert 'crossposter' if it makes you feel better -
usenet tosser, either way....

Maybe it's you who should
**** off...

From ukra - the only group I subscribe to? (See also in the pic...)

Stop and have a little think, YTC - you stop crossposting here and I don't
even *see* your silly posts...

(Yes, my replies are also crossposted - how TF do I know where you are
posting from...???)

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro
Michael Kennedy Michael Kennedy is offline

"EADGBE" wrote in message
[...]

From ukra - the only group I subscribe to? (See also in the pic...)

Stop and have a little think, YTC - you stop crossposting here and I don't
even *see* your silly posts...

(Yes, my replies are also crossposted - how TF do I know where you are
posting from...???)

Maybe your news server just didn't see his reply or it didn't get
crossposted? I see a few regulars in that reply from s.e.r.. I know that
EADGBE isn't a spammer / Troll as well. If you upset because it is
crossposted, create a filter. Theres no need to get angry about it.

Now to get this back on topic,
Have you tried moving the voice coil in and out by hand to feel if it it is
dragging at all? I'd tend to agree with the others that the cone might be
out of alignment a bit.

Mike

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro
Keith G Keith G is offline

"Michael Kennedy" wrote

Maybe your news server just didn't see his reply or it didn't get
crossposted? I see a few regulars in that reply from s.e.r.. I know that
EADGBE isn't a spammer / Troll as well. If you upset because it is
crossposted, create a filter. Theres no need to get angry about it.

Angry at newsgroup posts? Oh, I don't think so....

Please point to where my original response is incorrect:

"According to my reader, the last time this crossposting clown posted in
ukra
was 18/05/07 to ask for free advice with questions about more dodgy old
gear, splashed across a different spread of newsgroups and then failed to
acknowledge the bunch of helpful replies he received...."

And then consider directing your advice to the root cause - ie, the
crossposter himself who, incidentally, responded to me with this little gem:

"Then you don't know how to read your reader, asshole.

If you ACTUALLY did the research you claim to have done, you will
find that I have consistently and publicly thanked the people who
took the time to help me."

When the clear evidence:

http://www.apah69.dsl.pipex.com/show/ukra.jpg

indicates that a) I did do the research, b) your paragon failed to thank
anyone at least on that occasion and c) is, in fact, a crossposting little
gob****e who doesn't brook at dragging half Usenet into sorting out his
problems for free if, when and as he feels like it....

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

"Keith G" wrote in message

"Michael Kennedy" wrote

[...]

Hey ! I've never seen you getting this worked up Keefy baby ! Those good 'ol
Aussie boys on ukra been giving you lessons or summat ? d;~}

Arfa

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro
Keith G Keith G is offline

"Meat Plow" wrote in message

"EADGBE" wrote in message
[...]

I care.

And who the **** cares whether you care or not.

And you've caused much more noise than EADGBE so kindly **** off.

No, **** - you have. Keep crossposting into ukra to prove me right....

snipped the rest of your bull**** completely unread

Nah, I don't believe you....

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro
Keith G Keith G is offline

"Meat Plow" wrote in message

Subject: QUESTION: JBL Speaker Rattle
From: "Keith G"
Newsgroups:
rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio ,rec.audio.pro
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 22:54:44 -0000

"EADGBE" wrote in message
[...]

And[SLAP]

Keep the thread going you hypocritical ****. You know you want the last
word.

heh

What ails thee, friend...?

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro
Keith G Keith G is offline

From: "Keith G"
Newsgroups:
rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio ,rec.audio.pro
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 22:54:44 -0000

"EADGBE" wrote in message
[...]

What[SLAP]

Push the keyboard further back, sunshine - sounds like your tits keep
hitting it....

I was right.

Even a crossposting loser like you has got to be right at least the one
time....

Tell me summat - you're obviously a 'me too' attention-seeker, but what do
you want to be when you grow up?

Just curious like....

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro
Keith G Keith G is offline

From: "Keith G"
Newsgroups:
rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio ,rec.audio.pro
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 22:54:44 -0000

"EADGBE" wrote in message
[...]

Imagine that, whining about cross posting from someone who's been cross
posting the entire thread.

No, Clowny Boy - you're crossposting from 4 newsgroups, I'm simply replying
from ukra....

(Glad the tip about moving the keyboard worked.... :-)

LOL!!

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro
Keith G Keith G is offline

From: "Keith G"
Newsgroups:
rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio ,rec.audio.pro
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 22:54:44 -0000

"EADGBE" wrote in message
[...]

Let's see, your reply was cross posted to:

Newsgroups:
rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio ,rec.audio.pro

I would say with out a doubt your reply was cross posted.

Like I say, dummy: I only subscribe to ukra and I'm only replying to your
posts - if you are crossposting, the replies are going to be crossposted
aren't they? I don't even know (or care) what group you are posting from, so
I couldn't strip the crossposting out, even if I CBA to! (Down to you,
really - isn't it?)

Anyway, I'm bored now and I feel sorry for the members of your crossposted
groups, even if you don't - so this is my last word....

rest of the silly **** snipped

Posted to rec.audio.tech, sci.electronics.repair, uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro
EADGBE EADGBE is offline

OK.

I have just dropped in and checked this thread, after
being absent for a few days.

I have done some checking into this "controversy"
(if all of this B.S. could even deserve that title)...

In the case of my question concerning the
Nakamichi TA-4A receiver, I was able to resolve
the issue without having to check the thread again
to see what bits of advice I had received. I never
checked back, so it does logically follow that I
never did respond to the original thread with a
message of gratitude to the people kind enough
to try to help me.

So yeah, Keith G. is technically correct...I didn't
thank anyone in that thread, and I do believe
that I should have done so, even though I didn't
need to try any of the suggestions I received.

I was wrong not to thank those who posted
suggestions...BUT...Keith G. is equally wrong
for slamming my head up against the wall so
furiously for it. It was a simple oversight on my
part, and certainly not deserving of such
self-righteous indignation on his part.

HONESTLY, we all have been guilty
of not expressing gratitude at one time or
another...should we all be forced to have that
held against us for the rest of our lives?

Keith G. was quite diligent in finding a
mistake that I made in the past and then
holding me accountable for it.

Why couldn't he have been equally diligent
in finding my much more recent posts, where
I was quite careful to thank those who had
helped me?

I guess it's more fun for Keith G. to point out
where others go wrong, instead of actually
being constructive and helpful.

And to top it all off, he never even offered any
advice to me in that Nakamichi thread--so why
is he even spending all of his time and energy
caring about whether or not people were
properly thanked in that thread???

Is it really THAT much fun to be so
vindictive? I guess it is for Keith G.

I will end by saying one more thing:

It takes a real adult to admit
when he's wrong.

I have done so in this post.

I will now wait for Keith G. to admit he
was wrong for being so needlessly
vicious.

But I won't hold my breath.

By the way, A BIG THANK YOU (sincerely)
to everyone who has been helping me with
the JBL speaker question. I haven't yet had
the time to try any suggestions, but I have
some free time coming up in the next few
days, and I plan to give some of your
suggestions a go. I'll let you know what
I find.... Cheers!

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro
Keith G Keith G is offline

"EADGBE" wrote in message

OK.

I have just dropped in and checked this thread, after
being absent for a few days.

I have done some checking into this "controversy"
(if all of this B.S. could even deserve that title)...

In the case of my question concerning the
Nakamichi TA-4A receiver, I was able to resolve
the issue without having to check the thread again
to see what bits of advice I had received. I never
checked back,

Yep.

so it does logically follow that I
never did respond to the original thread with a
message of gratitude to the people kind enough
to try to help me.

Yep.

So yeah, Keith G. is technically correct...I didn't
thank anyone in that thread, and I do believe
that I should have done so, even though I didn't
need to try any of the suggestions I received.

Yep.

(As in May last year, in ukra...)

I was wrong not to thank those who posted
suggestions...BUT...Keith G. is equally wrong
for slamming my head up against the wall so
furiously for it. It was a simple oversight on my
part, and certainly not deserving of such
self-righteous indignation on his part.

You think so? 100% incidence on my (new) computer here and I don't have the
beginning of this thread, but I believe I pointed out your crossposting and
failure to thank those who replied on this and the only previous post I
could find for you - which was also crossposted....

HONESTLY, we all have been guilty
of not expressing gratitude at one time or
another...

???

should we all be forced to have that
held against us for the rest of our lives?

Keith G. was quite diligent in finding a
mistake that I made in the past and then
holding me accountable for it.

Took 20 seconds - see above, I had only 300 posts to scan and your only
other post in ukra, the only group I subscribed to then was May last year...

Why couldn't he have been equally diligent
in finding my much more recent posts, where
I was quite careful to thank those who had
helped me?

In ukra? There weren't any.

I guess it's more fun for Keith G. to point out
where others go wrong, instead of actually
being constructive and helpful.

Not really and, as I was just about to unsubscribe ukra anyway, I'd have
done better to let it pass. If there had been more posts from you (ie as an
*ukra contributor*) instead of just one more example of what appeared to be
extremely selfish behaviour I wouldn't have replied at all.

And to top it all off, he never even offered any
advice to me in that Nakamichi thread--so why
is he even spending all of his time and energy
caring about whether or not people were
properly thanked in that thread???

I have no idea about your Nak problem and I care (cared) about the lack of
acknowledgement because it came at the end of a long career of assisting no
end of people over the last few years (in ukra) - usually/mostly without
acknowledgement. Came at the wrong time, that's all....

Is it really THAT much fun to be so
vindictive? I guess it is for Keith G.

Doesn't help when your response was as follows:

Then you don't know how to read your reader, asshole.

If you ACTUALLY did the research you claim to have done, you will
find that I have consistently and publicly thanked the people who
took the time to help me.

...And I will thank YOU to keep your smart-ass comments to yourself
in the future.

Does it?

I will end by saying one more thing:

It takes a real adult to admit
when he's wrong.

I have done so in this post.

Almost - you seem more concerned to make the point that *I'm* in the wrong:

I will now wait for Keith G. to admit he
was wrong for being so needlessly
vicious.

Vicious? I don't think so - especially not in the light of your 'asshole'
response....

But I won't hold my breath.

Don't - if I thought I was wrong anywhere in that thread I wouldn't have
posted. Wasn't helped by your pal Meat Wanka swinging in to ukra trying to
act the tough guy, but I'll tell you one thing - at least he tried to back
you up. Not one member of ukra did the same for me - so **** 'em...

(This time I've announced my intention to drop 'audio usenet', I've so far
only had one 'ukranian' saying 'keep in touch with the group', so it looks
like I've overstayed my welcome there - not that there's anything left of it
other than the likes of Plowman...)

By the way, A BIG THANK YOU (sincerely)
to everyone who has been helping me with
the JBL speaker question. I haven't yet had
the time to try any suggestions, but I have
some free time coming up in the next few
days, and I plan to give some of your
suggestions a go. I'll let you know what
I find.... Cheers!

Well, it was a long haul, but it seems it did a bit of good in the end. Next
time you're in the wrong and get a bollocking for it try to act less like a
spoilt kid and pass the word to Meat Wanka to be careful about gobbing off
on someone else's 'home turf' - or someone might follow him home again....

That's it. I'm done with usenet now and will take this opportunity to nip it
off, or it will go on forever....

(Crosspostposting left in for 'closure'....)

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro

"Keith G" wrote in message

"EADGBE" wrote in message

[...]

Aw, c'mon Keef. I'm not a reg'lar over there on UKRA any more, but I did
defend you on here, saying that I had not known you to be quite so 'robust'
in your responses in the past, and it must have been just that he caught you
on a bad day, which it seems was rather the case. It'll be a shame if you
abandon Usenet. I always enjoyed your slightly acidic take on life, and the
pictures of your latest speakers and Chinese amps ... !!

(x - posting left in, in case you don't look back here ... )

Arfa

On Jan 22, 4:39 am, "Keith G" wrote:

You think so? 100% incidence on my (new) computer here and I don't have the
beginning of this thread, but I believe I pointed out your crossposting and
failure to thank those who replied on this and the only previous post I
could find for you - which was also crossposted....

First of all, let me teach you something about crossposting, since it
seems to rub your fanny so raw.

Some people crosspost because they are SPAMMERS. They crosspost
because they are either trying to sell something, or promote some
cause, or gain as wide an audience as possible, with little regard for
the
appropriateness of their message in the newsgroups they populate.

Then there are people like myself, who crosspost to a LIMITED NUMBER
of newsgroups, because their questions or comments might interest
people
in more than one narrowly focused newsgroup. I do not crosspost to ALL
newsgroups -- only to the newsgroups to which my questions might
apply.
For your information, I have never, ever crossposted to more than FOUR
newsgroups at a time.

In all the years I have had internet access, I have received NO
negative
comments about this practice at all -- except from YOU. YOU are the
ONLY ONE who has ever mentioned it at all. If there is strength in
numbers, you DON'T have it on your side.

But I tell you what--I will do you this favor: If you can show me
your
"Internet Police" badge, I will gladly follow whatever rules you wish
to enforce.

Otherwise, any of your objections about my posting practices must be
considered null and void, and you would do very well indeed to stop
laboring under the delusion that you have any right whatsoever to
critique where I (or anyone else) may choose to make any
non-commercial, non-spam post.

Based on your comments about crossposting, which are pretty sweeping,
you seem to think that the second someone posts similar material in
more
than one newsgroup, they are ***AUTOMATICALLY*** guilty of spamming
or similarly disruptive behavior.

What is so ironic is that the self-centered, self-important, anti-
social
behavior you have displayed so blatantly--not just toward me, but to
others
as well, especially these past few days--is far more disruptive and
unwelcome than ANY bit of crossposting.

If you could only see that irony.

Now to your latest comments about me and my behavior:

I believe I pointed out your crossposting and
FAILURE TO THANK THOSE WHO REPLIED ON THIS ....

Boy, you really are quick on the draw, aren't you? When you used the
word
"this" in that statement, you could only be referring to THIS thread--
the JBL
speaker thread. Go back and check--you posted your original negative
comments about me in THIS thread ON THE VERY SAME DAY THAT I
STARTED THIS THREAD. In fact, you posted your "bollocking" JUST OVER
ONE HOUR AFTER I STARTED THIS THREAD.

So, not only am I guilty of thanking people in THIS thread, I am also
guilty
of not thanking them QUICKLY ENOUGH? So in THIS thread, you didn't
even see fit to give me a chance to check back and read the
suggestions that
had come through in those first minutes...after JUST OVER ONE HOUR,
it was too late--I was already guilty of ingratitude. Utterly
amazing.

I hope and pray that you never become a judge or hold any other sort
of
position of authority. Since your condemnation is so absolute, and
since your
decision to levy that condemnation is controlled by such a "hair
trigger" as this,
it is painfully obvious that we would all eventually be doomed to
spend the
rest of eternity in your dungeon.

I believe I pointed out your crossposting and
failure to thank those who replied on this and the only previous post I
could find for you - which was also crossposted....

By your own admission here, you have seen fit to judge me by looking
at
just TWO posts I've made. And as we have determined, one of those
posts
was only just over an hour old at the time you passed judgment.

How many nanoseconds did you search before you drew your very ill-
informed
conclusion about me? Oh, wait--you told me already:

Took 20 seconds - see above, I had only 300 posts to scan and your only
other post in ukra, the only group I subscribed to then was May last year...

Not exactly what I would call a representative slice of my overall
behavior.

Please tell me--How does a TWENTY SECOND search give you the right--
real or imagined--to pass judgment on ANY subject or individual? How
does
a TWENTY SECOND search give you any sufficient amount of TRUTH to
base ANY comment you might make on ANY subject or individual?

But since when does the TRUTH matter to an individual such as
yourself?

Even though what you may think of me matters not one iota, to me or
anyone else, for the sake of TRUTH please allow me to give you a MUCH
more accurate picture of the way I conduct myself whenever I ask for
assistance in these newsgroups.

Since you don't seem to know how to do a decent newsgroup search
about me, I have done my own search, the results of which are shown
below. You must face this fact: If I am to be branded an ungrateful
leech,
I should at least have the privilege of having more than TWENTY
SECONDS'
worth of evidence presented at my trial, don't you think?

NOTE: All posts indicated below (except one) were SINFULLY
crossposted
to four newsgroups (rec.audio.tech, sci.electronics.repair,
uk.rec.audio,
rec.audio.pro)

Here goes....

April 16, 2007 - I started a thread asking for help with a problem I
was
having with my Nakamichi BX-300 cassette deck.
(QUESTION: Weird Behavior - Nakamichi BX-300)
April 17, 18, 21 - I THANKED several people for their responses to
this thread.
==================

June 12, 2007 - I started a thread asking about differences I had
found
in two different Nakamichi BX-300 cassette
decks.
(QUESTION -- For Nakamichi Experts)
June 13, 2007 - I THANKED two people for their responses to this
thread.
==================

Nov. 6, 2007 - I started a thread asking for help with an issue I had
with
an older Technics receiver.
(QUESTION: FM Stereo Sensitivity)
Nov 6 & 7, 2007 - I THANKED several responders for their help and
tips.

(NOTE: This FM Stereo Sensitivity thread was not posted to
uk.rec.audio
but was posted to the other three newsgroups.)
==================

January 6, 2008 - I started a thread asking how to determine the
proper
polarity of the DC voltage input on an
Ariston turntable.
(QUESTION: Ariston Turntable Voltage
Polarity)
January 8, 2008 - I THANKED everyone for their input and assistance.

All four of these threads were found by doing a newsgroup search that
took
all of a MINUTE. I guess one minute is much too long for your short
attention
span? No special equipment or technique was used to get these search
results.

These several examples of my gratitude--which are EASILY found in the
newsgroups if one knows how to do a search, regardless of how new
(or old) one's "new" computer might be--clearly contradict your
original
assertions about me, so my original statement to you still stands:

YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO READ YOUR READER, ASSHOLE.

Probably the most pathetic thing about your entire argument is that
you feel
qualified to comment on my newsgroup behavior while you freely admit
that
you have done practically NOTHING to get a more representative
overview of
my behavior; instead you simply chalk it up to your supposed "new"
computer not search back far enough. If you, your "new" computer, or
your
"new" computer's software can't even do a simple newsgroup search,
then one of you desperately needs a recall.

And lest you forget, one of my examples of gratitude in my search
results
given above is from JANUARY OF THIS YEAR. (The thread about the
Ariston turntable voltage polarity.)

I made it a POINT to post the Ariston turntable question in ukra,
since the Ariston turntable in question was made in Scotland!

How did your "new" computer manage to miss THAT one, my friend?

Once again I say, if TWENTY SECONDS is all it takes for you
to make up your little mind about someone, AND since you really don't
even care to get your facts straight when you DO make up your little
mind
about someone--God help anyone else who is unfortunate enough to
cross paths with you.

I said the following:

Why couldn't he have been equally diligent
in finding my much more recent posts, where
I was quite careful to thank those who had
helped me?

To which you replied:

In ukra? There weren't any.

I think we can now both agree that this is a lie. If you shut your
eyes
to something, that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. My gratitude
is shown repeatedly in ukra, in more than one thread. You simply
didn't
choose to see it (and don't blame it on your "new" computer or its
software, either).

as I was just about to unsubscribe ukra anyway, I'd have
done better to let it pass.

Yes, especially when you consider that when you didn't let it pass,
you instead chose to put forth a STATISTICALLY INCORRECT conclusion,
based on FLAWED reasoning, fueled by a PATHETICALLY INSUFFICIENT
amount of data that was collected, BY YOUR OWN ADMISSION, in
what could only be described as the most cursory of searches.

If there had been more posts from you (ie as an
*ukra contributor*) instead of just one more example of what appeared
to be extremely selfish behaviour I wouldn't have replied at all.

Hmm...Sorry, I don't remember seeing the rule book about who can and
cannot post in ukra. I didn't know that only "contributors" were
allowed to
post. I had no idea that questions weren't permitted. I'm still
waiting to
see that "Internet Police" badge of yours....still waiting......

...I care (cared) about the lack of acknowledgement because it came
at the end of a long career of assisting no end of people over the last
few years (in ukra) - usually/mostly without acknowledgement. Came
at the wrong time, that's all....

Oh, so ukra was your CAREER, was it? Sorry to **** all over your
retirement party with my boorish shenanigans. Geez, can you whine
even louder next time? I help people all the time on the internet,
but
unlike yourself, I have better things to do with my time than to care
whether or not those people "properly" thank me. It's nice when I do
get thanked, but it doesn't rain on my parade if I don't get a "thank
you"
card. That's not why I help people. I help them because I like to
be
nice whenever I can, to whomever deserves it. Next time, help someone
WITHOUT strings attached, and you will have fewer ulcers. The
giving's the thing, maaan......seriously.

Vicious? I don't think so - especially not in the light of your 'asshole'
response....

One thing that is so great about people like you is that you are so
incredibly predictable. You are extremely sensitive about comments
made about you, and at the same time you are oblivious to comments
you make about others. A textbook case of self-centered immaturity.

In the VERY FIRST comment you ever made about me, in the midst of
insinuating I was a freeloader asking for free advice, AND that I was
ungrateful, AND that I only concern myself with "dodgy gear", you call
me
a "crossposting clown" -- how did you think that was going to be
received?

In all forms of social interaction, be it on the internet or face to
face, one
truism remains constant: YOU ONLY GET WHAT YOU GIVE.

If you still haven't realized this at this late stage (and all
indications are
that you haven't), then you need to do some growing up before you
really
are beyond hope.

Don't - if I thought I was wrong anywhere in that thread I wouldn't have
posted. Wasn't helped by your pal Meat Wanka swinging in to ukra trying
to act the tough guy, but I'll tell you one thing - at least he tried to back
you up. Not one member of ukra did the same for me - so **** 'em...

That's your whole problem here in a nutshell. You don't think you're
wrong,
yet you are completely, utterly, spectacularly wrong. On a variety of
levels.
It would be laughable if it weren't so pathetic.

To any reasonable outside observer, I have proven, with concrete
evidence,
that you were wrong to assert that I don't express gratitude, you were
wrong
in the methods you employed to reach that conclusion, and on a purely
social level, you were wrong to treat me and others the way you have.

Why do you think Meat (and others, mind you) tried to help me out
during this little confrontation? I don't know any of these people at
all.

Maybe it's because I don't conduct myself the way that you do. I try
to be
respectful (and grateful) to everyone who treats me the same way, and
send a big "**** OFF" to the people who consistently mistreat me.

I'll say it one more time: YOU ONLY GET WHAT YOU GIVE.

You say that "not one member of ukra" did the same for you -- and you
really, serously don't understand why? I think that I am safe in
saying
that before this thread, I have never dealt with you before in my
life. And
looking at the way you have conducted yourself throughout this
thread,
I can safely say that I never want to deal with you again. And it
seems
that I am not alone in that sentiment. You need to take a good, long
look at yourself and the way you interact with others, and maybe,
just
MAYBE, you will understand why I (and others) feel this way.

Well, it was a long haul, but it seems it did a bit of good in the end.

Don't you dare think for one minute that you have taught me anything,
except how inept and tactless you are when it comes to dealing with
people. You have done me (or anyone) else NO good at all.

As I have proven conclusively, I *do* express gratitude when
I receive assistance, and one oversight on my part is *not* the basis
for any assessment to the contrary. I freely admit to being human and
therefore not consistently brilliant and correct 100 percent of the
time...but my percentage is still a great deal higher than yours.

Next time you're in the wrong and get a bollocking for it try to act
less like a spoilt kid and pass the word to Meat Wanka to be careful
about gobbing off on someone else's 'home turf' - or someone might
follow him home again....

Get your head out of the clouds. YOU are the one in the wrong, not
me. I am more than willing to accept a reprimand when I am truly in
the wrong and the evidence shows it. I am far more secure with
myself
than you are in this regard.

Unfortunately for you (and others like you), I will *never* be willing
accept any ill-informed attempt to put me down just so you (and
others like you) can feel superior. That's not what a bollocking is
supposed to be. If I haven't taught you this, I hope that someone
does. And I hope it's soon.

As for Meat, I will give him no instructions, least of all from such
pariahs as yourself. Meat is more than capable of taking care of
himself.

That's it. I'm done with usenet now and will take this opportunity to
nip it off, or it will go on forever....

I have a distinct feeling that you are still checking this thread,
even
if you never post here again. This time, it's MY turn to say I'm
done....REALLY done...with this tired topic.

Thanks to everyone (again) who made the HELPFUL responses
I found in this thread.