Tyson Howard

Default Remote Car Starter question

I just installed a remote starter into my 1990 Chevy Suburban. It worked
for a while, then it would not start remotely anymore. I found that the 30-
amp fuse in the remote starter was blown. I am assuming that my truck
requires more than 30 amps to start the vehicle. I decided to use an
external relay to do it, but the largest auto relays I can find are 30-amp.
Is it possible to wire 2 of these in parallel (obviously with a fuse
inline) to avoid damage to the relays? If not, what is a good source of
higher than 30 amp relays that I can use to do this?
MikeM

Tyson Howard wrote:

I just installed a remote starter into my 1990 Chevy Suburban. It worked
for a while, then it would not start remotely anymore. I found that the 30-
amp fuse in the remote starter was blown. I am assuming that my truck
requires more than 30 amps to start the vehicle. I decided to use an
external relay to do it, but the largest auto relays I can find are 30-amp.
Is it possible to wire 2 of these in parallel (obviously with a fuse
inline) to avoid damage to the relays? If not, what is a good source of
higher than 30 amp relays that I can use to do this?

Are you routing the starter motor cable through the relay?

If so, why?

The key switch contacts in the steering column can do the job
while passing less than an Amp or two.

MikeM

ATS

And you are pulling more than 30 amps? I would verify that you are indeed
pulling that much amperage before continuing to troubleshoot. I have
installed many a remote start in older suburbans and have never had that
problem.

NH

"MikeM" wrote in message
Tyson Howard wrote:

[...]

Art

You can always usa a FORD Starter Relay!! I know it's not GMC but it is
readily available and will control the necessary current load you are
playing with. Be advised, be sure that the starter is in good condition and
not drawing excessive current under load.
"Tyson Howard" wrote in message
I just installed a remote starter into my 1990 Chevy Suburban. It worked
for a while, then it would not start remotely anymore. I found that the
30-
amp fuse in the remote starter was blown. I am assuming that my truck
requires more than 30 amps to start the vehicle. I decided to use an
external relay to do it, but the largest auto relays I can find are
30-amp.
Is it possible to wire 2 of these in parallel (obviously with a fuse
inline) to avoid damage to the relays? If not, what is a good source of
higher than 30 amp relays that I can use to do this?

Tyson Howard

Tim Wescott wrote in
:

Tyson Howard wrote:

I just installed a remote starter into my 1990 Chevy Suburban. It
worked for a while, then it would not start remotely anymore. I found
that the 30- amp fuse in the remote starter was blown. I am assuming
that my truck requires more than 30 amps to start the vehicle. I
decided to use an external relay to do it, but the largest auto
relays I can find are 30-amp. Is it possible to wire 2 of these in
parallel (obviously with a fuse inline) to avoid damage to the
relays? If not, what is a good source of higher than 30 amp relays
that I can use to do this?

What's the fuse rating to the ignition key? I don't think your
solenoid should pull more than 30 amps.

And if you're replacing that cable as big as your thumb that goes to
the solenoid you're putting the circuit in the wrong place!

The wire I am connecting it to is about 18 gauge or so. Maybe 16. Haven't
checked that fuse to the key yet. I think I may have just had a bum fuse
in the remote starter.
Tim Wescott

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Rich Grise

"Tyson Howard" wrote in message
I just installed a remote starter into my 1990 Chevy Suburban. It worked
for a while, then it would not start remotely anymore. I found that the

30-
amp fuse in the remote starter was blown. I am assuming that my truck
requires more than 30 amps to start the vehicle. I decided to use an
external relay to do it, but the largest auto relays I can find are

30-amp.
Is it possible to wire 2 of these in parallel (obviously with a fuse
inline) to avoid damage to the relays? If not, what is a good source of
higher than 30 amp relays that I can use to do this?

Have you checked with the folks you got the remote starter from?

Good Luck
Rich

Anthony Fremont

"Tyson Howard" wrote in message
I just installed a remote starter into my 1990 Chevy Suburban. It

worked
for a while, then it would not start remotely anymore. I found that

the 30-
amp fuse in the remote starter was blown. I

30A is way too much current for the starter solenoid to be drawing. I
would look for an intermittent short circuit. Installing car wiring
that lasts can sometimes be tricky. It doesn't take long for a wire to
wear thru it's insulation if it's "flopping" around under the dash and
rubbing on something.

Tyson Howard wrote:

I just installed a remote starter into my 1990 Chevy Suburban. It worked
for a while, then it would not start remotely anymore. I found that the 30-
amp fuse in the remote starter was blown. I am assuming that my truck
requires more than 30 amps to start the vehicle. I decided to use an
external relay to do it, but the largest auto relays I can find are 30-amp.
Is it possible to wire 2 of these in parallel (obviously with a fuse
inline) to avoid damage to the relays? If not, what is a good source of
higher than 30 amp relays that I can use to do this?

http://www.allelectronics.com
CAT# RLY-630
$2.25
30 amp closed contact, 40 amp open contact.

Personally, I'd diagnose the problem first.
I get worried when problems are bypassed,
rather than solved.
Gordon Youd

Did you leave the vehicle in gear???

Why are you using relays to start it?

I would use a relay to energise the starter solenoid.

Regards, Gordon.

-------------------------------
"Tyson Howard" wrote in message
I just installed a remote starter into my 1990 Chevy Suburban. It worked
for a while, then it would not start remotely anymore. I found that the

30-
amp fuse in the remote starter was blown. I am assuming that my truck
requires more than 30 amps to start the vehicle. I decided to use an
external relay to do it, but the largest auto relays I can find are

30-amp.
Is it possible to wire 2 of these in parallel (obviously with a fuse
inline) to avoid damage to the relays? If not, what is a good source of
higher than 30 amp relays that I can use to do this?

Jeroen

paralleling two relays won't work, because they won't switch at the same
instant, so there's always one that the takes the current, while the other
has nothing to do.
There are 70Amp relays out there, usually for switching diesel glowplugs
etc.

"Tyson Howard" schreef in bericht
I just installed a remote starter into my 1990 Chevy Suburban. It worked
for a while, then it would not start remotely anymore. I found that the

30-
amp fuse in the remote starter was blown. I am assuming that my truck
requires more than 30 amps to start the vehicle. I decided to use an
external relay to do it, but the largest auto relays I can find are

30-amp.
Is it possible to wire 2 of these in parallel (obviously with a fuse
inline) to avoid damage to the relays? If not, what is a good source of
higher than 30 amp relays that I can use to do this?

Tyson Howard

"Gordon Youd" wrote in news:c7j20q$ol5$1
:

Did you leave the vehicle in gear???

No

Why are you using relays to start it?

I am not currently. I believe I just had a bad fuse, as I have replaced
it and everything is working perfectly now.

Car starter question: Josh Car Audio 3 January 15th 04 05:14 PM
Car starter question: Josh Car Audio 0 January 15th 04 04:22 PM
how difficult is it to install a remote starter? wicked1 Car Audio 3 December 14th 03 05:46 AM
Remote starter for 2004 Dodge Ram question Dan Car Audio 0 December 2nd 03 02:36 AM
Clifford alarm + remote starter Possible? Andy Kalsey Car Audio 4 October 8th 03 10:00 PM