Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] blackburst@aol.com is offline

Default Internet Audio

I recently had a need to connect computer audio to a good TV studio
audio system. To my surprise, some of the internet audio is of very
good quality!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

" wrote:

I recently had a need to connect computer audio to a good TV studio
audio system. To my surprise, some of the internet audio is of very
good quality!

It might surprise me too.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote ...
I recently had a need to connect computer audio to a good TV studio
audio system. To my surprise, some of the internet audio is of very
good quality!

Of course that depends entirely on what is meant by "internet audio".
The same "internet" will handle the very highest quality audio along
with the very lowest and anything in-between.

That is like saying that one went to a restaurant last week and had
a great meal. It means almost nothing as an unqualified statement.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.opinion,rec.music.classical
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 02:05:52 -0500, Soundhaspriority wrote
(in article ):

So fu....

game over brian. get a life.

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Soundhaspriority wrote:

I grew up listening to records and FM. I think I acquired the "filter"

I grew up listening to AM radio. Think of what kind of "filter" I might
have acquired. g

Variety is the spice of life. Mike, have you tried AAC? It almost answers
my objections.

AAC the "lossless" encoder? Not consciously. I don't download encoded
music and I don't encode my own music, so I only listen to whatever gets
netcast. Usually it's MP3 or Windows Media. I don't really listen
critically enough to notice any difference. At the moment I'm listening
to a show where nearly all the records played are pre-1945, so how good
can it get, fidelity-wise. But I like the music and that's what counts.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Charlie Olsen wrote:

The one thing that does bug me is the swishing, or flanging distortion that
some lower bit mp3's give.
That drives me nuts much more than the loss of frequency response.

I find that very annoying, too. I used to get it when I was limited to
dialup speed and it's one of the reasons why I got DSL as soon as it was
offered at a decent price here. But even if I'm offered a choice of a
higher quality stream if I were to get a faster connection (I'm on the
lowest DSL speed) I doubt that it would enhance my listening experience.
I simply don't concentrate on the music from streaming on-line sources
that much. It distracts me from what I'm really doing.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ben Bradley Ben Bradley is offline

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 19:16:25 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I recently had a need to connect computer audio to a good TV studio
audio system. To my surprise, some of the internet audio is of very
good quality!

Now that you mention it, I'd like to bring up something that's been
bothering me for months (and yes, I know, I should send a letter to
this local NPR affiliate about it, along with a check for financial
support).

It's the streaming audio (from the "Listen Now" button,
middle-right column) at http://wabe.org - I started listening to All
Things Considered and Marketplace regularly through that connection
earlier this year, despite the slight swishiness, and especially the
odd effects the encoding has on sibilants. But that's not my real
problem - I've gotten used to these effects enough over the months
that I haven't even thought of it until this thread.

What REALLY gets me is how the program material sometimes jumps up
or down 10 or 15dB, usually when switching between local and network
sources. How do they do that, and still get a fully modulated,
no-distortion signal on the air? Do they even send the same signal to
both? I imagine the signal to the transmitter goes through a
compresser/leveler that stomps the level down to what it's 'supposed'
to be. I would have thought the streaming feed would have been taken
after the compressor, but I guess not. Maybe the compressor is at the
transmitter where it would be inconvenient to patch into.

They could get a compressor for the streaming feed, but that takes
money they may not have. I suppose I could send them a check for it.

How to capture a Live Internet audio stream ? rishil Pro Audio 2 March 28th 07 01:47 PM
Yes you can now capture a Live Internet audio stream.. [email protected] Pro Audio 16 November 21st 06 12:17 PM
Internet Radio Audio Quality? Radioman390 Marketplace 1 August 9th 04 11:59 AM
Internet Stream Audio Jerry Avins Tech 0 January 5th 04 02:03 PM
Internet Stream Audio [Was Bit-resolution decrease for internet] Radium Tech 96 December 26th 03 11:31 AM