Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ty Unes Ty Unes is offline

Default New Production Tube Suggestions?

I'm looking to replace the tubes in my 6v6 amp with NEW production tubes.
I wanted to know from you more seasoned audiophiles, what tubes you would
recommend.

My price point suggests JJ/Tesla tubes but I would consider other
suggestions.

Tubes in question a

4 x 6V6
3 x 12AX7
1 x 5U4GB

Thanks for your time.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Aug 7, 12:54 pm, Ty Unes wrote:
I'm looking to replace the tubes in my 6v6 amp with NEW production tubes.
I wanted to know from you more seasoned audiophiles, what tubes you would
recommend.

My price point suggests JJ/Tesla tubes but I would consider other
suggestions.

Tubes in question a

4 x 6V6
3 x 12AX7
1 x 5U4GB

Thanks for your time.

Start with the firm committment to avoid any tubes made in China.
After that, EH, JJ and several others as well as NOS (New Old Stock)
will serve you well enough.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
maxhifi maxhifi is offline

Are NOS 6V6GT really expensive now???? I have a whole bunch of old ones
laying around, so never had to buy one. For NOS I say avoid the old ones
with the grey or black coating inside the glass, and buy the newer Sylvania
or GE 6V6GTA with the clear glass and chrome top.

I've read good things about the EH 6V6, and I know EH makes a 5U4 now too,
but never tried either personally. The 5U4 was such a common tube in TVs it
should be easy to find. As for the 12AX7, I actually prefer the Chinese to
the Sovtek or JJ, but your experience may prove different.

"Ty Unes" wrote in message
I'm looking to replace the tubes in my 6v6 amp with NEW production tubes.
I wanted to know from you more seasoned audiophiles, what tubes you would
recommend.

My price point suggests JJ/Tesla tubes but I would consider other
suggestions.

Tubes in question a

4 x 6V6
3 x 12AX7
1 x 5U4GB

Thanks for your time.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Audio Goodies Audio Goodies is offline

For the 12AX7/ECC83, I really like the Sovtek 12AX7LPS.

As for 6V6 and 5U4GB tubes, I still find them plentiful in NOS and
haven't purchased/tried the new production types.

If your looking for the quad of 6V6 tubes to be "matched", then
current production JJ's are probably the way to go. I've used JJ
products for sometime and have always been pleased with them.

Kelly

On Aug 7, 10:54 am, Ty Unes wrote:
I'm looking to replace the tubes in my 6v6 amp with NEW production tubes.
I wanted to know from you more seasoned audiophiles, what tubes you would
recommend.

My price point suggests JJ/Tesla tubes but I would consider other
suggestions.

Tubes in question a

4 x 6V6
3 x 12AX7
1 x 5U4GB

Thanks for your time.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Aug 8, 5:43 am, François Yves Le Gal wrote:

Hmm. Some are excellent, others are crappy. For instance, when properly
selected, the current Shuguang G9 12AX7 is one of the best ever.

Even as compared to a Sylvania mil.spec. 5751?

Just curious.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Sal Brisindi Sal Brisindi is offline

Audio Goodies wrote:
For the 12AX7/ECC83, I really like the Sovtek 12AX7LPS.

As for 6V6 and 5U4GB tubes, I still find them plentiful in NOS and
haven't purchased/tried the new production types.

If your looking for the quad of 6V6 tubes to be "matched", then
current production JJ's are probably the way to go. I've used JJ
products for sometime and have always been pleased with them.

Kelly

It might only be me but I hate the shape of a JJ tube! That round top
has to go. Unless a JJ tube was given to me, I will not buy one.

Sal
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Aug 8, 7:40 am, Sal Brisindi wrote:
Audio Goodies wrote:
For the 12AX7/ECC83, I really like the Sovtek 12AX7LPS.

As for 6V6 and 5U4GB tubes, I still find them plentiful in NOS and
haven't purchased/tried the new production types.

If your looking for the quad of 6V6 tubes to be "matched", then
current production JJ's are probably the way to go. I've used JJ
products for sometime and have always been pleased with them.

Kelly

It might only be me but I hate the shape of a JJ tube! That round top
has to go. Unless a JJ tube was given to me, I will not buy one.

Sal

Sal,

I kind of like the round top on them(J.J's) You must really like the
old Amperex made EL34's with their flat tops (I like them as well!).

Kelly

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
maxhifi maxhifi is offline

"François Yves Le Gal" wrote in message
On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 22:48:26 GMT, "maxhifi" wrote:

Are NOS 6V6GT really expensive now????

The going rate at most US dealers is around USD60 per matched pair of high
quality tested/matched 6V6GTs. Some versions can be much more expensive.

For NOS I say avoid the old ones
with the grey or black coating inside the glass

Why?

The older 6V6's have slightly lower maximum anode power dissapation rating,
and they will arc over at a lower maximum voltage. Not a lethal difference,
but Sylvania 6V6GTA seem to last forever in a circuit designed for normal
6V6GT.

$60 a pair seems out of touch with their value - last time I bought one they
were $5 each in the early 90s.

I have an old pair of Electrohome amplifiers which likely operate the 6V6's
under similar conditions to the Magnavox shown here, and I've used USSR
6V6GT relabeled as Amperex and Philips in them for a while, with good
results. These should be available cheaply somewhere.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On 07 Aug 2007 17:54:33 GMT, Ty Unes wrote:

I'm looking to replace the tubes in my 6v6 amp with NEW production tubes.
I wanted to know from you more seasoned audiophiles, what tubes you would
recommend.

I would call Uncie Ned at Triode Electronics and buy what he
recommends. But that's just me (and many years of good luck).

All good fortune,

Chris Hornbeck
"It's just this little Chromium Switch.
You people are SO superstitious."
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
maxhifi maxhifi is offline

The prices for NOS tubes are skyrocketing.
:-(

Even AES wants $21 for a 6V6GT now... out of this world, considering what
the 6V6 is really for (cheap, afforable radio/tv/pa output tube!)

I've used USSR 6V6GT relabeled as Amperex and Philips

I don't remember seeing Soviet-made tubes sold under any Philips brands.
OTOH, relabeled of fake tubes are quite common: I've got a quad of Soviet
6Pi6C (6P6S) marked Mullard 6V6GT, made in England...

Mine are marked Amperex Made in England, ECG, and Philips. Philips/ECG
distributed a lot of tubes from wherever they could get them in the 80s and
early 90s. It is my understanding that many Soviet tubes were marked Made in
England, Germany, Italy, etc so that they could be imported into the USA
without penalty. Ned Carlson explained this to me in this very newsgroup, a
long time ago. I also have a pair of Chinese 6550 labeled Philips ECG.

Anyway, the 6Pi6C has lower ratings than real 6V6GTs and are
meltdown-prone
in high B+ amplifiers..

My Electrohomes are your typical push pull 6V6 amps, which don't push any
limits. I wouldn't try one in a Fender Champ.

The reason I was so impressed with the Sylvania 6V6GTA's, is I used them for
quite a while as a substitute for EL34's in a home made amplifier. It has
fixed bias, and 450V on the plates... biased within their dissapation
ratings, the sound was amazingly good. I actually liked it better than with
the EL34s in place. I tried normal (Canadian Marconi) 6V6GT's, and they
could not hold up to the plate voltage, and arced over. I did this
experiment about 10 years ago, before I knew that any 6V6 could have
significant value.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Engineer[_2_] Engineer[_2_] is offline

On Aug 9, 7:45 pm, "maxhifi" wrote:
The prices for NOS tubes are skyrocketing.
:-(

(snip)

Well, up a bit perhaps - but there's still a good supply of used 6V6's
that test "good plus".

Anyway, back to topic, i.e. 6V6's in P-P amps. They are probably my
favourite tube (from the days when I brewed cheap, simple SE 2 1/2
watt amps with them... radio outputs!) Currently, I have three P-P
6V6 amplifiers and a box of mixed 6V6's from way back that I have
variously substituted in them... The result? With pairs of tubes
matched for only emission they all sound the same. With "good plus"
tubes I get a full 10 watts (I don't push the B+ to the max) With a
pair of weak (but not near-dead!) ones I'm down to about 6 watts max.
on one amplifier (not tried this in the other amplifiers.)
I would not spend any serious money on new 6V6's, just find some "good
plus" used tubes that are failry close in emission.
BTW, I won't get into my 6L6 philosophy here! g
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
maxhifi maxhifi is offline

I would not spend any serious money on new 6V6's, just find some "good
plus" used tubes that are failry close in emission.

I second this idea, especially in an amp like the Magnavox. 6V6's run
conservatively are very very reliable tubes.

BTW, I won't get into my 6L6 philosophy here! g

When I had a 6L6 amp, my philosophy was to change them annually, regardless
of performance change.. of course, with current prices, I might rethink that
approach.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
maxhifi maxhifi is offline

I would not spend any serious money on new 6V6's, just find some "good
plus" used tubes that are failry close in emission.

I agree with this idea.