Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Woot Woot is offline

Default NOS Western Electric 417a

Are these usable in any kind of radio/audio gear? I
have maybe a dozen or so of these for sale if there is a use for them.
They were part of some things I grabbed from a telephone microwave relay
station that was being done away with. Actually have some other oddball
tubes, thermal relays inside a vacuum tube enclosure and other odd stuff
if anyone is interested. Can take and upload pictures of the stuff too.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article , Woot
wrote:

Are these usable in any kind of radio/audio gear? I
have maybe a dozen or so of these for sale if there is a use for them.
They were part of some things I grabbed from a telephone microwave relay
station that was being done away with. Actually have some other oddball
tubes, thermal relays inside a vacuum tube enclosure and other odd stuff
if anyone is interested. Can take and upload pictures of the stuff too.

I believe Andre Jute has several projects that use this tube, including
his "potato" single tube amplifier.

Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Woot Woot is offline

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 11:07:37 -0500, John Byrns wrote:

n article , Woot
wrote:

Are these usable in any kind of radio/audio gear? I
have maybe a dozen or so of these for sale if there is a use for them.
They were part of some things I grabbed from a telephone microwave relay
station that was being done away with. Actually have some other oddball
tubes, thermal relays inside a vacuum tube enclosure and other odd stuff
if anyone is interested. Can take and upload pictures of the stuff too.

I believe Andre Jute has several projects that use this tube, including
his "potato" single tube amplifier.

Regards,

John Byrns

Well I just sub'd to this group so I don't know the name. I'll keep an eye
on the thread and see what turns up.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

wrote:

Are these usable in any kind of radio/audio gear? I
have maybe a dozen or so of these for sale if there is a use for them.
They were part of some things I grabbed from a telephone microwave relay
station that was being done away with. Actually have some other oddball
tubes, thermal relays inside a vacuum tube enclosure and other odd stuff
if anyone is interested. Can take and upload pictures of the stuff too.

I believe Andre Jute has several projects that use this tube, including
his "potato" single tube amplifier.

Regards,

John Byrns

Well I just sub'd to this group so I don't know the name. I'll keep an eye
on the thread and see what turns up.- Hide quoted text -

Just be careful of Mr. Jute's designs. They are accompanied by much
fluff and flash, pomp and circumstance as well as massive
pontifications... but to-date, none have been proven to work as
supplied.

Better you should take a design either directly from Mr. Byrns, or
have him edit Mr. Jute's design such that it will not deliver you more
smoke than sound.

Keep in mind that _anything_ with the OEM WE logo on it carries
irrational magic amongst certain types, whether rational or
irrational. So undertand that the actual functionality and musicality
of the tube (if any different from any other) is only a minor factor
in its value. The *NAME* is the value, and NOS just carries that to
the stratosphere. So, exploit that to the maximum if you are so
inclined.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Woot Woot is offline

wrote:

[...]

Well I wasn't really looking to design anything I just have some WE tubes
that someone may want.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Jul 16, 4:09 pm, "West" wrote:

Cordially,
west

Gee Whiz, you little twit. I tell the guy that his tubes are worth a
bunch make no offers to purchase them (actually, my preference were I
to have such would be to sell them for the young fortune they will
bring and invest it in some actual working gear/tubes/time/designs)
and yet you blather libelously about honesty.

One would think that you are as irrational and unbalanced as your Lord
and Master. Are you also the victim of strokes at an early age?

I make no defense of Jon, of course. He is more than able to handle
the likes of silly little shoats like you.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

in article 6gQmi.7525$fj5.5121@trnddc08, West at wrote on
7/16/07 4:09 PM:

"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message
in article
, Woot at wrote
on 7/16/07 11:31 AM:

Are these usable in any kind of radio/audio gear? I
have maybe a dozen or so of these for sale if there is a use for them.
They were part of some things I grabbed from a telephone microwave relay
station that was being done away with. Actually have some other oddball
tubes, thermal relays inside a vacuum tube enclosure and other odd stuff
if anyone is interested. Can take and upload pictures of the stuff too.

I like these for preamps. If you want to sell them, pls. e-mail me.

Jon

Before you sell anything to this dishonest peddler, check first with several
other places for their value. This guy will hustle you along with his
charlatan friend Wieck, who changed the subject of your post to try again
and again to slander a person whom he is very jealous of. It's sad, but in
this NG whenever there is a new poster, you will always find these 2
characters salivating from the notion of "fresh meat." Like everything else,
be careful. You may have quite a value in your possession.

Cordially,
west

Pest,

You've slandered and libeled me for quite some time without providing a
scintilla of proof that I've wronged anyone. When asked to provide proof
you ignore the request or present a host of conditions that I have to meet
before you'll do it.

Why don't you put your money where your mouth is and make an offer to this
gentleman to buy his tubes. Then you could build one of your idol's
"designs" and be oh so cool.

No, of course you never will. You're too cheap and too full of ****.

Jon

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Woot Woot is offline

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:53:34 -0400, Jon Yaeger wrote:

in article 6gQmi.7525$fj5.5121@trnddc08, West at wrote on
7/16/07 4:09 PM:

"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message
in article
, Woot at wrote
on 7/16/07 11:31 AM:

[...]

Thanks for nothing for hijacking my thread to continue your petty ****ing
arguments.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

in article , Woot at wrote
on 7/16/07 6:58 PM:

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:53:34 -0400, Jon Yaeger wrote:

in article 6gQmi.7525$fj5.5121@trnddc08, West at
wrote on
7/16/07 4:09 PM:

"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message
in article
, Woot at wrote
on 7/16/07 11:31 AM:

[...]

You're welcome.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Woot Woot is offline

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 20:05:22 -0400, Jon Yaeger wrote:

in article , Woot at wrote
on 7/16/07 6:58 PM:

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:53:34 -0400, Jon Yaeger wrote:

in article 6gQmi.7525$fj5.5121@trnddc08, West at
wrote on
7/16/07 4:09 PM:

"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message
in article
, Woot at wrote
on 7/16/07 11:31 AM:

[...]

No problem. Actually I'm glad you responded the way you did now that I've
thought about it more. It's always a good thing when a simpering bint
like you makes it so ****ing easy right off the bat to pick who to include
on my ignore list.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

No problem. Actually I'm glad you responded the way you did now that I've
thought about it more. It's always a good thing when a simpering bint
like you makes it so ****ing easy right off the bat to pick who to include
on my ignore list.

Whatever.

Got a few anger issues, do we?

Welcome to the club.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Woot wrote:

Are these usable in any kind of radio/audio gear? I
have maybe a dozen or so of these for sale if there is a use for them.
They were part of some things I grabbed from a telephone microwave relay
station that was being done away with. Actually have some other oddball
tubes, thermal relays inside a vacuum tube enclosure and other odd stuff
if anyone is interested. Can take and upload pictures of the stuff too.

The 417A can possibly be worth a lot of money, so place them on e-bay
or on a website for sale at what is the going rate is for second hand
417A.

Its used in preamps and is one of a few types of high transconductance
low noise triodes
liked by many audiophiles.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Woot Woot is offline

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 09:50:57 +0000, Patrick Turner wrote:

Woot wrote:

Are these usable in any kind of radio/audio gear? I
have maybe a dozen or so of these for sale if there is a use for them.
They were part of some things I grabbed from a telephone microwave relay
station that was being done away with. Actually have some other oddball
tubes, thermal relays inside a vacuum tube enclosure and other odd stuff
if anyone is interested. Can take and upload pictures of the stuff too.

The 417A can possibly be worth a lot of money, so place them on e-bay
or on a website for sale at what is the going rate is for second hand
417A.

Its used in preamps and is one of a few types of high transconductance
low noise triodes
liked by many audiophiles.

Patrick Turner.

Thanks for the info. I'm not out to make top dollar as any amount would be
profit since as mentioned above I grabbed these tubes along with a whole
other slew of tubes and gadgets from a microwave telephone relay station
that was being torn down back in 1992. I do however want a fair price and
maybe Ebay with a reserve price is the answer.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Woot wrote:

[...]

Its extremely unlikely that the gear was decommissioned soon after being
re-tubed.
That would be luck indeed.
But ancient old tubes that are maybe 5,000 hours old are never worth
much.

But the 417A has cult status, and much flatus has been spoken about its
wonders,
so maybe you get 20 bucks each.......

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Woot Woot is offline

Woot wrote:

[...]

These tubes are not pulls. New in box.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Woot wrote:

[...]

Some ppl like the 417A a lot so you have something good for them eh!

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Spike[_2_] Spike[_2_] is offline

I am insterested in some if you will send me some pics please.

Maybe I can use some stuff and figure out a project or two
to use with my high school students.

I don't know why this thread took a nose dive...bummer

Spike

Woot wrote:

Are these usable in any kind of radio/audio gear? I
have maybe a dozen or so of these for sale if there is a use for them.
They were part of some things I grabbed from a telephone microwave relay
station that was being done away with. Actually have some other oddball
tubes, thermal relays inside a vacuum tube enclosure and other odd stuff
if anyone is interested. Can take and upload pictures of the stuff too.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

On Aug 14, 1:14 am, Spike wrote:
I am insterested in some if you will send me some pics please.

Maybe I can use some stuff and figure out a project or two
to use with my high school students.

The 417A makes a jolly nice little one-tube amp for sensitive speakers
(the kind that comes free of charge out of trashed tube radios) and at
a reasonable plate voltage too, so the power supply can be cheap. See
'Minus Zero' at
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/JUTE%20ON%20AMPS.htm

HTH.

Andre Jute

Woot wrote:
Are these usable in any kind of radio/audio gear? I
have maybe a dozen or so of these for sale if there is a use for them.
They were part of some things I grabbed from a telephone microwave relay
station that was being done away with. Actually have some other oddball
tubes, thermal relays inside a vacuum tube enclosure and other odd stuff
if anyone is interested. Can take and upload pictures of the stuff too.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
OldTelcoGuy OldTelcoGuy is offline

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 16:33:21 -0700, Andre Jute
wrote:

The 417A makes a jolly nice little one-tube amp for sensitive speakers snip

Head cans, maybe.

I have approx. 32 (will have to go look for true count) NOS Weco 417A
triodes in their boxes. 1970s date codes. Genuine ex-telco stock
(we used to use these for voice band amps in Type V3 4 wire repeaters,
as well as a ton of other applications.) The 417A was also used in
broadband carrier systems for HF applications, as well.

What am I bid? Failing a tantalizing bid, I'll sleazeBay them to the
Orientals.