Posted to rec.audio.pro,cakewalk.audio
Doc Doc is offline

Default Possible to do "What U Hear" recording with M-Audio Audiophile 2496?

Is it possible to do with the 2496 like with the Soundblaster cards?
I want to record midi tracks played via LiveSynth Pro as audio tracks.
It would be great if I didn't have to keep switching back to the
Audigy to do it.

Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.pro,cakewalk.audio
Ricky Hunt Ricky Hunt is offline

"Doc" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is it possible to do with the 2496 like with the Soundblaster cards?
I want to record midi tracks played via LiveSynth Pro as audio tracks.
It would be great if I didn't have to keep switching back to the
Audigy to do it.

Try using "Mon. Mix" as your input source.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,cakewalk.audio
Ethan Winer Ethan Winer is offline

Doc,

Is it possible to do with the 2496 like with the Soundblaster cards?

If you're using LiveSynth Pro with Sonar, I'd solo the synth tracks one by
one and use Export to do a mixdown of just those tracks. This is faster (and
cleaner) than playing in real time while recording.

--Ethan

Posted to rec.audio.pro,cakewalk.audio
Doc Doc is offline

On Mar 21, 12:02 pm, "Ethan Winer" ethanw at ethanwiner dot com
wrote:
Doc,

Is it possible to do with the 2496 like with the Soundblaster cards?

If you're using LiveSynth Pro with Sonar, I'd solo the synth tracks one by
one and use Export to do a mixdown of just those tracks. This is faster (and
cleaner) than playing in real time while recording.

No, Home Studio2.

Sonar has one of these engines that internally generates .wav date
from midi output?

Posted to rec.audio.pro,cakewalk.audio
Max Arwood Max Arwood is offline

LiveSynth Pro generates audio. All softsynths generate audio.
If you have Sonar you could just freeze the tracks that will convert all of
them to audio. You could see if Home Studio has this.
Max Arwood

"Doc" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 21, 12:02 pm, "Ethan Winer" ethanw at ethanwiner dot com
wrote:
Doc,

Is it possible to do with the 2496 like with the Soundblaster cards?

If you're using LiveSynth Pro with Sonar, I'd solo the synth tracks one
by
one and use Export to do a mixdown of just those tracks. This is faster
(and
cleaner) than playing in real time while recording.

No, Home Studio2.

Sonar has one of these engines that internally generates .wav date
from midi output?

Posted to rec.audio.pro,cakewalk.audio
Ethan Winer Ethan Winer is offline

Sonar has one of these engines that internally generates .wav date
from midi output?

How do you usually make a Wave file from a finished mix? Export, Yes? So do
the same with only one soft-synth solo'd at a time. Or if HS has a Freeze
feature as Max suggested, it's even easier.

--Ethan

Posted to rec.audio.pro,cakewalk.audio
Doc Doc is offline

On Mar 22, 11:00 am, "Ethan Winer" ethanw at ethanwiner dot com
wrote:
Sonar has one of these engines that internally generates .wav date
from midi output?

How do you usually make a Wave file from a finished mix? Export, Yes? So do
the same with only one soft-synth solo'd at a time. Or if HS has a Freeze
feature as Max suggested, it's even easier.

I'm not sure we're on the same page. I would normally either play the
midi tracks all at once in "What U Hear" record mode to make a stereo
audio mix

OR

Play each individual midi track the entire length of the song using
"What U Hear" to make audio tracks of each voice and tweak those
individually, then when I'm satisfied, mix those individual audio
tracks down to a stereo track with "Export" to an audio track.

I've heard that there are programs that will actually convert midi
tracks to audio without having to go through the "What U Hear"
recording process though I've never seen on in action. I'm not
familiar with the "Freeze" feature you're referring to.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,cakewalk.audio
Doc Doc is offline

On Mar 22, 12:53 pm, "Doc" wrote:

Play each individual midi track the entire length of the song using
"What U Hear" to make audio tracks of each voice and tweak those
individually, then when I'm satisfied, mix those individual audio
tracks down to a stereo track with "Export" to an audio track.

Correction, I meant mix the tracks using "Bounce" not export. Export
is for copying the file outside Cakewalk.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,cakewalk.audio
Max Arwood Max Arwood is offline

Most soft synths are multi track output devices. Mulitple channels of MIDI
in - multiple audio out. I can't remember if Live Synth pro is one of these
or not. If you have HS 6. It has many of the same features are Sonar
including freeze. I would recommend HS6 because it comes dimenson LE /
Garritan Pocket Orchestra. Session Drummer 2. It also has the Roland
TTS-1. If you have an older version of HS you might look for a synth called
TTS-1 it is also multi out and a nice simple GM solution. On multi out
synths the tweaking is done on the synths audio track and you don't have to
bounce anything. When you add a synth check the box labeled "all synth
outputs" that way all of the synths audio tracks will be more obvious. If
Live Synth pro is your only choice, you could have several copies of it
running (depending on your computer's CPU) and tweak the outputs of them
individually.
Max Arwood

oups.com...