Posted to alt.steinberg.cubase,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro
[email protected] opensource.sucks@yahoo.com is offline

Default REAPER moving in on Cubase?

On Mar 11, 1:40 pm, (Aphelion) wrote:
My comments were really aimed at the smarmy manner the original poster
used to promote his agenda.

If open souce does it for you... then go for it, but to come on a
Cubase group and pander open source applications does not even give
them due respect.

I've looked at open source for recording but I can't move several
levels down from where I'm at. Only half the features of my audio
card(s) are supported, the timing is suspect, features missing... etc,
etc.

I like the idea, but the goods aren't there yet.

Ap

I tried doing a project using only OpenSource software and Linux and
compared to using Nuendo, it was like trying to build a battleship
with
a ball peen hammer and a pair of pliers.
Sure, the Opensource software and Linux is free, but how much time is
spent fiddling with it in order to make it work?
I tried using Ardour and Audacity (Audacity isn't bad under Windows)
under Linux and it was like pulling teeth.
First I need something called Jack, then my ALSA isn't working
correctly and then when I finally do get sound I find out
that I have to run everything as Superuser because I need it to have
high priority.
As it turned out the best latency I could get with an RME card was
about 7.5 msec and even that was on the hairy edge.

Then there are the plugins which suck.

In fact, Linux as a whole sucks for multimedia.
Linux does just fine on a server locked up in closet along with some
geek needed to maintain it and who speaks the Linux language.

There is a major reason why OpenSource and Linux software is free yet
has so very little of the market as far as useage is concerned and
that reason is because it sucks for most things.
Maybe in 15 years OpenSource will be ready but for now it's for geeks
and freaks.

Posted to alt.steinberg.cubase,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro
~S~ ~S~ is offline

like I said, elitist, and insular

you deserve eachother

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.steinberg.cubase,comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro
Mogens V. Mogens V. is offline

paul wrote:
"~S~" wrote in message
.. .

like I said, elitist, and insular

you deserve eachother

let me see if i have this right. he makes a reasonable explanation as to why
linux and open source doesn't work for him, adds that he hopes someday...
and this causes you to attack him for his post. and you call HIM elitest and
insular?!?!?!?!?

I'm pretty sure he meant Linux as base for a DAW is elitist and insular,
not the OP.

roups.com...

--
Kind regards,
Mogens V.

Posted to alt.steinberg.cubase,comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro
paul paul is offline

"Mogens V." wrote in message
paul wrote:
"~S~" wrote in message
.. .

like I said, elitist, and insular

you deserve eachother

let me see if i have this right. he makes a reasonable explanation as to
why
linux and open source doesn't work for him, adds that he hopes someday...
and this causes you to attack him for his post. and you call HIM elitest
and
insular?!?!?!?!?

I'm pretty sure he meant Linux as base for a DAW is elitist and insular,
not the OP.

after rereading, you are probably right. my bad.

wrote in message
groups.com...

[...]

Posted to alt.steinberg.cubase,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro
cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) is offline

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 21:45:28 -0400, "~S~" wrote:

like I said, elitist, and insular

I'm late to the thread, and interested in the original topic - is
something happening to CuBase?

Overpriced it may be, but at least it works, and more impotrantly,
provides a driver model to deliver the real-time performance that one
needs when playing back recorded tracks and dubbing down new ones.

MS has been asleep at the wheel here. They wave "home theater", allow
media pimps to ram DRM crap into the works, and they wave "Movie
Maker", but they have done NOTHING to facilitate home audio multitrack
recording. It smells like "keep 'em in their place" collusion with
the record industry, I have to say.

Really, if the platform is fast enough to do home video recording and
editing, then it's fast enough to do multi-track audio recording.
Does MS really think this is something that few ppl want to do?

--------------- ---- --- -- - - - -

Saws are too hard to use.
Be easier to use!
--------------- ---- --- -- - - - -

Posted to alt.steinberg.cubase,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro
Linonut Linonut is offline

After takin' a swig o' grog, cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) belched out this bit o' wisdom:

MS has been asleep at the wheel here. They wave "home theater", allow
media pimps to ram DRM crap into the works, and they wave "Movie
Maker", but they have done NOTHING to facilitate home audio multitrack
recording. It smells like "keep 'em in their place" collusion with
the record industry, I have to say.

You sure are proud of that "MVP"!

--
I love the smell of source code compiling in the morning.
It smells like... freedom.
Posted to alt.steinberg.cubase,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill Les Cargill is offline

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) wrote:

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 21:45:28 -0400, "~S~" wrote:

like I said, elitist, and insular

I'm late to the thread, and interested in the original topic - is
something happening to CuBase?

Overpriced it may be, but at least it works, and more impotrantly,
provides a driver model to deliver the real-time performance that one
needs when playing back recorded tracks and dubbing down new ones.

MS has been asleep at the wheel here. They wave "home theater", allow
media pimps to ram DRM crap into the works, and they wave "Movie
Maker", but they have done NOTHING to facilitate home audio multitrack
recording.

They don't-care with extreme prejudice. I suspect because
sequencing reeks of Amigaism. M$ was a "language" company, then
an "office apps" company. That has not much changed; the 'home
theater' thing is nothing more than a way to push box-store
sales ( which also sell big plasma TV one aisle over ).

They are, curously enough, not really in the DVR or cable
box business either. Frankly, it's probably out of their
technical depth - CBR data solutions are not the sort of
discipline they do. When a context switch is running 40 ms
worst case with your O/S, you just don't.

This is likely to change.

It smells like "keep 'em in their place" collusion with
the record industry, I have to say.

M$ couldn't understand the record company's day to day, much
less the business model. M$ will, however, be particularly
interested in the rent-deriving aspects of the IP front for
music. That's why they have a sympathetic ear for DRM. M$'s
big innovation was that software is *property*.

M$ has never been a speculative enterprise; it was cash-flow
positive from day one or close to it. M$ is a much more
throwback than you think it is, compared to other contemporary
businesses. Very staid, conservative and risk-averse, but
great gamblers at the same time...

Jobs was always interested in culltural work because... well,
because he used to hottub with Wavy Gravy and stuff. Or
so they tell me. Hippie wannabe feller. Remember the US
festival?

Really, if the platform is fast enough to do home video recording and
editing, then it's fast enough to do multi-track audio recording.
Does MS really think this is something that few ppl want to do?

M$ shivagitter don't shine in that corner. Ask somebody who
was in "multimedia" in the early '90s. Not me, 'course.

--------------- ---- --- -- - - - -

Saws are too hard to use.
Be easier to use!

--------------- ---- --- -- - - - -

--
Les Cargill
Posted to alt.steinberg.cubase,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 09:32:49 -0500, Linonut wrote:
After takin' a swig o' grog, cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) belched out this bit o' wisdom:

You sure are proud of that "MVP"!

It's more of a "disclosure" thing :-)

-- Risk Management is the clue that asks:

"Why do I keep open buckets of petrol next to all the
ashtrays in the lounge, when I don't even have a car?"
----------------------- ------ ---- --- -- - - - -

Posted to alt.steinberg.cubase,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro
Linonut Linonut is offline

After takin' a swig o' grog, cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) belched out this bit o' wisdom:

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 09:32:49 -0500, Linonut wrote:
After takin' a swig o' grog, cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) belched out this bit o' wisdom:

You sure are proud of that "MVP"!

It's more of a "disclosure" thing :-)

:-) indeed!

--