Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Cipher Cipher is offline

Default Looking for a matched pair of 12At7s or a matched pair of a substitute tube..

using a little Jolida 102b while my Mastersound is down, want a matched
pair of 12AT7s or any suitable substitute pair.. same manufacturer and
type, please.....

will pay , of course
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Jan 9, 1:40*am, Cipher wrote:
using a little Jolida 102b *while my Mastersound is down, *want a matched
pair of 12AT7s or any suitable substitute pair.. same manufacturer and
type, please.....

will pay , of course

With respect, the 12AT7 is a high-mu twin-triode. "matching" if it is
to be meaningful requires that the plate current for all sections of
both tubes be within 5%, between sections and from tube-to-tube. In a
*SMALL SIGNAL* tube. This will be disproportionately difficult
(therefore expensive) to achieve in any meaningful way. Further to
this, unless your source has both the correct equipment to determine
such matches *AND* is fantastically honest, you have no way of being
sure that the results are real in what you receive - unless you can
verify it yourself - back to the equipment.

Nor will your equipment require such matching. Nor will such matching
last more than the first few dozen hours of use, if that.

Just look for two good-testing, screened-for-noise-and-microphonics
12AT7s and save your money for something meaningful.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Cipher Cipher is offline

Peter Wieck wrote in news:0e08a724-b422-4ee4-acce-
:

On Jan 9, 1:40*am, Cipher wrote:
[...]

ok, Sir. I am requesting that for reasons such as resale value. The
average audio fanatic-type assumes that matched tubes are superior(by
matching I mean same manufacturer, not values, but two of the same type
( ie SED "winged C" )and manufacturer). I know, to learned types it is
silly, but audiophools(myself included) are a peculiar lot.

BTW, Sir. I just got that parcel out to you couple days ago. Couldnt
find anything to package it in, so had to improvise.

actually, I reckon ill just post and look for a mate to one of the ATs I
have laying around.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] bretludwig@ymail.com is offline

On Jan 9, 1:40 am, Cipher wrote:
using a little Jolida 102b while my Mastersound is down, want a mat

ched
pair of 12AT7s or any suitable substitute pair.. same manufacturer

and
type, please.....

will pay , of course

With respect, the 12AT7 is a high-mu twin-triode. "matching" if it is
to be meaningful requires that the plate current for all sections of
both tubes be within 5%, between sections and from tube-to-tube. In a
*SMALL SIGNAL* tube. This will be disproportionately difficult
(therefore expensive) to achieve in any meaningful way. Further to
this, unless your source has both the correct equipment to determine
such matches *AND* is fantastically honest, you have no way of being
sure that the results are real in what you receive - unless you can
verify it yourself - back to the equipment.

True. Dual section high mu triodes are inherently unmatched and it
doesn't matter anyway.

Nor will your equipment require such matching. Nor will such matching
last more than the first few dozen hours of use, if that.

Just look for two good-testing, screened-for-noise-and-microphonics
12AT7s and save your money for something meaningful.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

ok, Sir. I am requesting that for reasons such as resale value. The
average audio fanatic-type assumes that matched tubes are superior(by
matching I mean same manufacturer, not values, but two of the same type
( ie SED "winged C" )and manufacturer).

So we should cater to idiots???? No.

I know, to learned types it is
silly, but audiophools(myself included) are a peculiar lot.

How would they know the difference? They wouldn't.