Posted to rec.audio.tubes
jaap[_3_] jaap[_3_] is offline

Default What is the least value for kathode / heater isolation?

AVO tube testers test K/H isolation in Mohms. Most new IDH tubes read
over 25 Mohms while some heavily abused tubes read 5 Mohms or even
lower. Is there need for replacing preamp or output tubes with lowish
isolation while emission is still strong? What is the effect of low
isolation on reproduction?
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Engineer Engineer is offline

Location: Thornhill, Ontario

"François Yves Le Gal" wrote in message
On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 10:20:19 +0100, jaap wrote:

Is there need for replacing preamp or output tubes with lowish
isolation while emission is still strong?

Power tubes are considered acceptable with 500K HK, small signal tubes
1M.

What is the effect of low isolation on reproduction?

Unwanted AC on the cathode if you use AC heating, bad bias..
Heater/cathode
short means a dead tube.

Agreed.
Now a bit OT... The H-K short that you have to watch for is in EZ80, EZ81
and similar rectifiers - these are the ones that use the same 6.3 VAC heater
supply as the other tubes. A failure takes out an unfused mains transformer
in seconds. I was lucky enough to catch one fail in a Phillps radio a while
back - just happened to be bringing it up on a variac for some reason. I
forget why: recent quite extended use on 120 VAC with direct switch-on had
been OK. Anyway, you have to get lucky sometimes! Solution: if you want to
keep these tubes, add a fast blow 250 mA fuse in the MT centre tap to
ground, else replace the EZ80/81's with two 1N4007 Si diodes (plus a common
80 to 100 ohm resistor) - they mount easily through the tube socket (push
the leads through from the top and solder to the socket tags.)
BTW, I'm not sure if a H-K resistance reading of 1 Mohm, or so, in an
EZ80/81 is indicative of future failure but since I'm now a bit paranoid
about these tubes I won't take a chance - it's now fuse or use Si diodes!
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] bretludwig@ymail.com is offline

On Jan 9, 3:20 am, jaap wrote:
AVO tube testers test K/H isolation in Mohms. Most new IDH tubes read
over 25 Mohms while some heavily abused tubes read 5 Mohms or even
lower. Is there need for replacing preamp or output tubes with lowish
isolation while emission is still strong? What is the effect of low
isolation on reproduction?

Depends on the circuit. Consider that directly heated filament types
have zero isolation.....

Heater connection Alex Vacuum Tubes 28 April 15th 08 05:34 PM
NAD Amplifier a Heater ?!? Christopher Carlen High End Audio 21 December 26th 06 05:11 AM
Heater voltage Rick Ralston Vacuum Tubes 18 February 20th 05 09:43 PM
Minimising the heater hum ? Aku Ankka Vacuum Tubes 4 April 8th 04 01:37 AM