Posted to rec.audio.pro
Z-Man Z-Man is offline

Default Opinions on Horizon Mic Splitters and Direct Boxes

Does anyone here have experience with Horizon mic splitters and/or
direct boxes? I'm thinking of purchasing one of each. I need
something to split a mixer's balanced out between a power amp and some
in-ear monitors. I also need to get a direct box for my bass player.
Horizon seems like a good choice for the money. Any thoughts?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Mar 20, 10:38 pm, "Z-Man" wrote:
Does anyone here have experience with Horizon mic splitters and/or
direct boxes? I'm thinking of purchasing one of each. I need
something to split a mixer's balanced out between a power amp and some
in-ear monitors. I also need to get a direct box for my bass player.

Horizon stuff is pretty decent, reasonably well made, unless they've
switched to a crappy Chinese XLR connector in recent years. Their
transformers are OK but nothing special.

For your line level split, be sure that you get a splitter that's
designed to take line level. I'm not sure Horizon makes one. If you
try to use a mic splitter for that application, you'll almost
certainly drive the transformer into saturation, and that will sound
pretty ugly. A Y cable will probably work just fine.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] rsmith@bsstudios.com is offline

On Mar 20, 6:38 pm, "Z-Man" wrote:
Does anyone here have experience with Horizon mic splitters and/or
direct boxes? I'm thinking of purchasing one of each. I need
something to split a mixer's balanced out between a power amp and some
in-ear monitors. I also need to get a direct box for my bass player.
Horizon seems like a good choice for the money. Any thoughts?

You might want to take a look at Whirlwind IMP and LBS splitters for
mic and line respectively. For DI the Countryman 85 and Radial (both
active and passive) are the ones that will have a much lesser impact
on the tone from the various pickups than the Horizon or Whirlwind
(and clones) direct boxes.

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos
http://www.bsstudios.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Z-Man Z-Man is offline

Guys:
Thanks for the info--I thought a mic splitter would handle line-level
signal. Can I really use a "Y" cable? I'm going from an AUX out of a
mixer to both a power amp and an IEM transmitter. If a "Y" cable is a
bad idea, is whirlwind considered the leading company for mic
splitters and line splitters? Thanks!

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mar 21, 4:00 pm, "Z-Man" wrote:

Thanks for the info--I thought a mic splitter would handle line-level
signal. Can I really use a "Y" cable? I'm going from an AUX out of a
mixer to both a power amp and an IEM transmitter.

Sure, it'll work. But one thing you should be aware of. You really
should have an independent level control for your in-ear monitors. The
transmitter may or may not give you enough control.

Have you had any experience in using and mixing en-ear monitors?
Generally you'll want a different mix for them than monitor speakers
or the house mix (though it depends on the kind of music). So you
might consider feeding the speakers and the in-ear system from
separate auxiliary sends.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Fletch Fletch is offline

On Mar 21, 2:09 pm, "Mike Rivers" wrote:
On Mar 21, 4:00 pm, "Z-Man" wrote:

Thanks for the info--I thought a mic splitter would handle line-level
signal. Can I really use a "Y" cable? I'm going from an AUX out of a
mixer to both a power amp and an IEM transmitter.

Sure, it'll work. But one thing you should be aware of. You really
should have an independent level control for your in-ear monitors. The
transmitter may or may not give you enough control.

Have you had any experience in using and mixing en-ear monitors?
Generally you'll want a different mix for them than monitor speakers
or the house mix (though it depends on the kind of music). So you
might consider feeding the speakers and the in-ear system from
separate auxiliary sends.

Yeah, I agree here. You should dedicate an Aux send to feed the in-ear
setup. More control there over individual component inputs.

And you can be sure that the FOH sound will be great, but someone in
the band can't hear X well enough. If you are splitting the main
output, guess what happens? Yep, you screw up your great house mix!

Separate the control and the sends.

--Fletch

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Z-Man Z-Man is offline

Thanks guys--don't worry about the setup. The only things in monitors
are my vocal, my guitar, and the backing vocal--the same things I need
in my IEMs. The setup works great--we used it for a St. Patrick's Day
gig, and we've never sounded better. I'm more concerned about using
the right equipment and cables to hook everything up. I split the
signal with a mic splitter last weekend, and it worked OK. There was
some hum, but it could have been a ground loop, the TVs, neons, etc.
It sounds like I need a line level splitter if I want to keep doing
this.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Z-Man wrote:
Does anyone here have experience with Horizon mic splitters and/or
direct boxes? I'm thinking of purchasing one of each. I need
something to split a mixer's balanced out between a power amp and some
in-ear monitors. I also need to get a direct box for my bass player.
Horizon seems like a good choice for the money. Any thoughts?

Horizon makes okay stuff for a reasonable price, but I would be a little
wary of running line level through their splitters.

If you absolutely need transformer isolation, Sescom will sell you a box
with one 600 ohm input and two 600 ohm outputs that will be fine at line
level. Audisar also makes some similar transformers but I don't think
they will put them in a nice box for you.

As far as the bass DI, just buy the Countryman. You will find the high
input impedance of the active DI to be a huge advantage, and the Countryman
is convenient and ubiquitous.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Romeo Rondeau Romeo Rondeau is offline

As far as the bass DI, just buy the Countryman. You will find the high
input impedance of the active DI to be a huge advantage, and the Countryman
is convenient and ubiquitous.

And it's built like a friggin' tank. Remember the old ad where they
parked a truck on one? Priceless :-)