Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

Default music ID recommendations?

Long story short, I have a bunch of songs I recorded off of an Italian
radio station. I really like the music, but had no idea of the name of
the songs. Now I don't have a smart phone or tablet, so I can't use
apps to help ID songs. What I have done is use both audiotag.info and
midomi.com, along with watzatsong.com so far, but results, even with all
of these, have been limited. I've actually had the best results from
midomi. Nothing from audiotag.

Overall, the results have been disappointing with perhaps 20% of the
songs identified. I have my audio output from the speakers channeled
into the mic so I was able to use midomi (this was so I could play the
MP3's instead of trying to sing or hum). I also have MP3's from the
radio station that I recorded.

So, what are some recommendations here for better results? I run a
Linux desktop online, but I can fire up Win 10. I understand there's
Cordana or something that might be able to help ID the songs. Is it
worth the trouble over what I have tried so far?

I think one of the reasons I'm having trouble is because, when a song
has been discovered, it has mostly been and instrumental done by an
Italian composer/ artist. Much of what I am looking for are
instrumentals of popular songs. There is also techno/ new age, which
none of the music recognition sites seem to recognize very well.

Anyway, any help would be welcome. I have referred some people to the
watzatsong page where I posted most of what I am looking for and I could
here at request.

Thanks in advance.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 5/06/2019 7:36 AM, JBI wrote:
Long story short, I have a bunch of songs I recorded off of an Italian
radio station.Â* I really like the music, but had no idea of the name of
the songs.Â* Now I don't have a smart phone or tablet, so I can't use
apps to help ID songs.Â* What I have done is use both audiotag.info and
midomi.com, along with watzatsong.com so far, but results, even with all
of these, have been limited.Â* I've actually had the best results from
midomi.Â* Nothing from audiotag.

Overall, the results have been disappointing with perhaps 20% of the
songs identified.Â* I have my audio output from the speakers channeled
into the mic so I was able to use midomi (this was so I could play the
MP3's instead of trying to sing or hum).Â* I also have MP3's from the
radio station that I recorded.

So, what are some recommendations here for better results?Â* I run a
Linux desktop online, but I can fire up Win 10.Â* I understand there's
Cordana or something that might be able to help ID the songs.Â* Is it
worth the trouble over what I have tried so far?

I think one of the reasons I'm having trouble is because, when a song
has been discovered, it has mostly been and instrumental done by an
Italian composer/ artist.Â* Much of what I am looking for are
instrumentals of popular songs.Â* There is also techno/ new age, which
none of the music recognition sites seem to recognize very well.

Anyway, any help would be welcome.Â* I have referred some people to the
watzatsong page where I posted most of what I am looking for and I could
here at request.

Thanks in advance.

Maybe move into the current millennium and get a cheap smartphone.
Shazam has always worked for me, but admittedly not with Italian pop as
the focus.

You might just find that, apart from making or receiving phone and text
calls, there are many other useful applications for audio, musical, and
technically-interested users.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

On 6/4/19 4:56 PM, geoff wrote:
On 5/06/2019 7:36 AM, JBI wrote:
Long story short, I have a bunch of songs I recorded off of an Italian
radio station.Â* I really like the music, but had no idea of the name
of the songs.Â* Now I don't have a smart phone or tablet, so I can't
use apps to help ID songs.Â* What I have done is use both audiotag.info
and midomi.com, along with watzatsong.com so far, but results, even
with all of these, have been limited.Â* I've actually had the best
[...]

Thanks, but no thanks (regarding smartphone). Well, I just tried
something called Musixmatch on Win 10. Besides jumping through sign ups
with Microsoft, I don't understand it. Looks like I'm supposed to add
lyrics or some such thing, not what I am looking for. I also fired up
Cordana and she didn't recognize any songs, assuming I was doing it
correctly (can she hear what's being played on Media Player or am I
supposed to hold the mic up to the speaker?). Then I read that Cordana
no longer recognizes songs, so who knows. Just started and about to
call it quits. There's no guarantee that even with a smartphone that I
would get the songs ID. I *think* this Musixmatch I tried is supposed
to have the most comprehensive lyrical database. It seemed to say
something about downloading unknown songs as I played them, but
presented nothing. So who knows.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 5/06/2019 10:05 AM, JBI wrote:
On 6/4/19 4:56 PM, geoff wrote:
On 5/06/2019 7:36 AM, JBI wrote:
Long story short, I have a bunch of songs I recorded off of an
Italian radio station.Â* I really like the music, but had no idea of
the name of the songs.Â* Now I don't have a smart phone or tablet, so
I can't use apps to help ID songs.Â* What I have done is use both
audiotag.info and midomi.com, along with watzatsong.com so far, but
results, even with all of these, have been limited.Â* I've actually
had the best results from midomi.Â* Nothing from audiotag.

Overall, the results have been disappointing with perhaps 20% of the
songs identified.Â* I have my audio output from the speakers channeled
into the mic so I was able to use midomi (this was so I could play
the MP3's instead of trying to sing or hum).Â* I also have MP3's from
[...]

Thanks, but no thanks (regarding smartphone).Â* Well, I just tried
something called Musixmatch on Win 10.Â* Besides jumping through sign ups
with Microsoft, I don't understand it.Â* Looks like I'm supposed to add
lyrics or some such thing, not what I am looking for.Â* I also fired up
Cordana and she didn't recognize any songs, assuming I was doing it
correctly (can she hear what's being played on Media Player or am I
supposed to hold the mic up to the speaker?).Â* Then I read that Cordana
no longer recognizes songs, so who knows.Â* Just started and about to
call it quits.Â* There's no guarantee that even with a smartphone that I
would get the songs ID.Â* I *think* this Musixmatch I tried is supposed
to have the most comprehensive lyrical database.Â* It seemed to say
something about downloading unknown songs as I played them, but
presented nothing.Â* So who knows.

Maybe post a link to a sample song and I'll give it a try.

Shazam analyses the actual melody (+ ???) rather than needing lyrics.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote: "Maybe post a link to a sample song and I'll give it a try.

Shazam analyses the actual melody (+ ???) rather than needing lyrics.

geoff "

I've had days where neither Shazam or Sound Hound could
recognize HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

On 6/4/19 6:32 PM, geoff wrote:
On 5/06/2019 10:05 AM, JBI wrote:
On 6/4/19 4:56 PM, geoff wrote:
On 5/06/2019 7:36 AM, JBI wrote:
Long story short, I have a bunch of songs I recorded off of an
Italian radio station.Â* I really like the music, but had no idea of
the name of the songs.Â* Now I don't have a smart phone or tablet, so
I can't use apps to help ID songs.Â* What I have done is use both
audiotag.info and midomi.com, along with watzatsong.com so far, but
results, even with all of these, have been limited.Â* I've actually
had the best results from midomi.Â* Nothing from audiotag.

Overall, the results have been disappointing with perhaps 20% of the
songs identified.Â* I have my audio output from the speakers
channeled into the mic so I was able to use midomi (this was so I
could play the MP3's instead of trying to sing or hum).Â* I also have
MP3's from the radio station that I recorded.

So, what are some recommendations here for better results?Â* I run a
Linux desktop online, but I can fire up Win 10.Â* I understand
there's Cordana or something that might be able to help ID the
songs.Â* Is it worth the trouble over what I have tried so far?

I think one of the reasons I'm having trouble is because, when a
song has been discovered, it has mostly been and instrumental done
by an Italian composer/ artist.Â* Much of what I am looking for are
[...]

or am I supposed to hold the mic up to the speaker?).Â* Then I read
that Cordana no longer recognizes songs, so who knows.Â* Just started
and about to call it quits.Â* There's no guarantee that even with a
smartphone that I would get the songs ID.Â* I *think* this Musixmatch I
tried is supposed to have the most comprehensive lyrical database.Â* It
seemed to say something about downloading unknown songs as I played
them, but presented nothing.Â* So who knows.

Maybe post a link to a sample song and I'll give it a try.

Shazam analyses the actual melody (+ ???) rather than needing lyrics.

geoff

I've had a little bit better luck tonight. Since many of the samples I
recorded were noisy (since they came from essentially a weak to fair
radio signal), I've had to apply a fair amount of noise reduction. Even
so, there's still artifacts here and there and since the station
broadcasts in USB (upper sideband), there's very little bass left. I've
been playing and replaying parts of songs that had the least amount of
noise and sometimes I've been having success. The watzasong site was
fluky today and even my postings just disappeared. I'll recheck again
tomorrow and post the link if my stuff reappears by then.

I have a question. Is there a term for an orchestra where there's
singing but no actual singing of lyrics versus an orchestra where
there's definite singing of lyrics? The reason I ask is because one of
the "hits" the Midomi site came up with was Gladiator Now We Are Free
song. This is correct, but the version isn't quite right. I am looking
for an orchestral version with choir (as in the movie) except the choir
is indistinct and not speaking lyrics throughout the song. There is a
version of it available, but I haven't found it so far. The radio
station I was referring to plays that version. With the right terms, I
could research Google and Youtube to perhaps find the correct version.
So far, no luck. Thanks in advance.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

Here's a link to the songs I posted where I am looking for ID, starting
with at least the song name. With any hope/ luck, narrowing down to the
instrumentalist. There are three pages, starting with this one:

https://www.watzatsong.com/en/profile/jon5

Anyone take a crack and come up with some answers, it sure would be
welcome. Thanks in advance!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

Probably a stupid recommendation but...

If you're on Facebook try joining an Italian group and post the songs there.
A quick search on Facebook finds at least two groups dedicated to Italian
music.

Best,
Poly

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro

I've had a little bit better luck tonight. Since many of the samples I
recorded were noisy (since they came from essentially a weak to fair
radio signal), I've had to apply a fair amount of noise reduction. Even
so, there's still artifacts here and there and since the station
broadcasts in USB (upper sideband), there's very little bass left.

So this is a "short wave" radio station?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Thanks, but no thanks (regarding smartphone).

Just curious: what happens to be the objection?
You could get an old Android from eBay for $20 or so
and use it without service for running applications.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

On 6/5/19 12:06 PM, Tobiah wrote:
Thanks, but no thanks (regarding smartphone).

Just curious:Â* what happens to be the objection?
You could get an old Android from eBay for $20 or so
and use it without service for running applications.

This may or my not be relevant (to phones), but a few years back I
decided to try and Android tablet. I felt that there were so many
security loopholes that practically any outsider could exploit that that
ended my interest in tablets... and phones.

Just firing up Win 10 to access Cordana and that music matching website
made me uncomfortable because of all the signing up/ security that had
to be done. I personally don't use Win unless I have to.

Now before anyone fires off, the aforementioned is just my opinion, may
or may not be factual. It's how I feel.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

On 6/5/19 12:26 AM, JBI wrote:
Here's a link to the songs I posted where I am looking for ID, starting
with at least the song name.Â* With any hope/ luck, narrowing down to the
instrumentalist.Â* There are three pages, starting with this one:

Â*https://www.watzatsong.com/en/profile/jon5

Anyone take a crack and come up with some answers, it sure would be
welcome.Â* Thanks in advance!

Well, today I had a LOT of success using Midomi. It found about 60% of
the songs I played or even hummed for it. It took two+ tries sometimes
to find just the right spot in the songs that didn't have much noise.
It didn't find them all, but in many cases those songs were a lot
noisier. I have clearer recordings I'll be accessing in the coming days.

Interestingly enough, all of the songs I ID'd today were NOT the ones I
had uploaded to the watzatsong.com site. Other than the ones that were
identified there, the rest still remain unknown.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

On 6/5/19 6:33 AM, polymod wrote:

Probably a stupid recommendation but...

If you're on Facebook try joining an Italian group and post the songs
there.
A quick search on Facebook finds at least two groups dedicated to
Italian music.

Not stupid at all. I have been considering that, although today I did
make significant progress ID'ing a bunch of songs.

Best,
Poly

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro

I've had a little bit better luck tonight. Since many of the samples I
recorded were noisy (since they came from essentially a weak to fair
radio signal), I've had to apply a fair amount of noise reduction. Even
so, there's still artifacts here and there and since the station
broadcasts in USB (upper sideband), there's very little bass left.

So this is a "short wave" radio station?

Yes, on 10 Mhz shortwave, Upper Sideband. It's weak to begin with and
there's a Russian time station that just lies below it. Everytime the
Russian station transmits its time in morse, it almost swamps the
Italian time station on 10 Mhz. It's making it quite tough to extract
and ID the songs, although today I made significant progress for the
first time.

10.000 MHz is allocated to time stations.

Are you sure your station is on 10 MHz?

Or are you tuned to an image?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline