Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] FreshPepper@gmail.com is offline

Default Add volume to sub box using a capped pipe?

I built an irregularly shaped subwoofer enclosure out of MDF and
fiberglass.

It is just a little bit under the ideal volume for the subwoofer.

Could I just drill a hole in the side of the box and add a foot of 2"
PVC pipe (capped off and sealed) jutting out of the subwoofer
enclosure and under the seat of the truck?

I know they say that volume of air is all that matters, but what if
the air is in a pipe sticking out of the box?

I'm interested in your thoughts. Thank you in advance and have a
lovely day.

Posted to rec.audio.car
e-nigma e-nigma is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
I built an irregularly shaped subwoofer enclosure out of MDF and
fiberglass.

It is just a little bit under the ideal volume for the subwoofer.

Could I just drill a hole in the side of the box and add a foot of 2"
PVC pipe (capped off and sealed) jutting out of the subwoofer
enclosure and under the seat of the truck?

I know they say that volume of air is all that matters, but what if
the air is in a pipe sticking out of the box?

I'm interested in your thoughts. Thank you in advance and have a
lovely day.

I believe the amount of volume you gain from that would be so small to make
much of a difference

Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull Mister.Lull is offline

On Jun 28, 8:27 am, Gunz4me wrote:
wrote:
I built an irregularly shaped subwoofer enclosure out of MDF and
fiberglass.

It is just a little bit under the ideal volume for the subwoofer.

Could I just drill a hole in the side of the box and add a foot of 2"
PVC pipe (capped off and sealed) jutting out of the subwoofer
enclosure and under the seat of the truck?

I know they say that volume of air is all that matters, but what if
the air is in a pipe sticking out of the box?

I'm interested in your thoughts. Thank you in advance and have a
lovely day.

How about trying some polyfil in the box to absorb some of those waves,
thus tricking the woofer into thinking it is in a bigger box?- Hide quoted text -

Oh for ****'s sake, not the polyfill debate again...

Posted to rec.audio.car
Gunz4me Gunz4me is offline

wrote:
I built an irregularly shaped subwoofer enclosure out of MDF and
fiberglass.
It is just a little bit under the ideal volume for the subwoofer.
Could I just drill a hole in the side of the box and add a foot of 2"
PVC pipe (capped off and sealed) jutting out of the subwoofer
enclosure and under the seat of the truck?
I know they say that volume of air is all that matters, but what if
the air is in a pipe sticking out of the box?
I'm interested in your thoughts. Thank you in advance and have a
lovely day.

How about trying some polyfil in the box to absorb some of those waves,
thus tricking the woofer into thinking it is in a bigger box?- Hide quoted text -

Oh for ****'s sake, not the polyfill debate again...

Well, for $10 or less, it is worth a ****ing shot to try. It beats the
holy **** out of customizing another enclosure from MDF and fiberglass
and it won't break the bank to use some polyfil.

OK, genius, do you have any better suggestions or are you one of those
"for ****'s sake" people who likes to make noise and doesn't even have
an intelligent thought to offer to the OP's issue at hand?

-Gunz4Me

Posted to rec.audio.car

wrote:
[...]

-Gunz4Me- Hide quoted text -

Wow, I love the hostility... It's like you think I was trying to
insult you or something.

I was alluding (in what I thought was a humorous way) to several
heated debates regarding polyfil.

[shrugs]

~Mister.Lull

Posted to rec.audio.car
Gunz4me Gunz4me is offline

wrote:
[...]

Sorry man, I should learn never to drink and get on the usenet because
**** that would normally be funny, just doesn't seem funny when I am
drunk. Please accept my apology.

- Gunz4Me
Posted to rec.audio.car

wrote:
[...]

- Gunz4Me- Hide quoted text -

Not a big deal, dude! Thanks, though. :-)

~Mister.Lull

Posted to rec.audio.car
El Kabong El Kabong is offline

oups.com...
wrote:
[...]

Peace, Bros! (glad you worked that out!)

So, what about the original suggestion... can polyfill do the job or not?

What about internal baffles? I once saw a setup where the sub was facing
towards the *inside* of the box and baffled with a rectangular opening in
the next chamber above the speaker. Sounded great but it might have sounded
great in an even simpler configuration. Don't know because there was no
comparison set up. At the time, I thought the baffling was used to get rid
of higher frequency tones, a sort of natural crossover or something, but
maybe it was adding "virtual volume."

What are your thoughts?

El

Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS GregS is offline

wrote:
I built an irregularly shaped subwoofer enclosure out of MDF and
fiberglass.

It is just a little bit under the ideal volume for the subwoofer.

Could I just drill a hole in the side of the box and add a foot of 2"
PVC pipe (capped off and sealed) jutting out of the subwoofer
enclosure and under the seat of the truck?

I know they say that volume of air is all that matters, but what if
the air is in a pipe sticking out of the box?

I'm interested in your thoughts. Thank you in advance and have a
lovely day.

How about trying some polyfil in the box to absorb some of those waves,
thus tricking the woofer into thinking it is in a bigger box?- Hide quoted

text -

Oh for ****'s sake, not the polyfill debate again...

There is no debate. It does what it does.

greg

Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS GregS is offline

In article DIThi.249$q12.155@trnddc08, "El Kabong" wrote:

roups.com...
wrote:
[...]

If polyfill does not make the box seem big enough, fiberglass, or foam batting will. How
many times to I have to say this?

greg
Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS GregS is offline

wrote:

groups.com...
wrote:
[...]

There is something to debate about. We know how the sealed box interacts
with the filling. A ported box is different, and stuffing has an interaction
with the port. I don't have enough experiance or knowledge on stuffing
port interactions. Stuffing has most effect in a sealed box near the driver. As
you move away from the driver, the stuffing has less effect on resonance. I suppose
a similar interaction exists near the port.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.car
mfreak mfreak is offline

I think it would work. Everything I've ever seen indicates the shape
doesn't matter at all, and I've seen some strange looking enclosures
that sound great. As long as the volume is there, I don't think it
matters, as long as air can move freely and easily to all the volume
(ie you dont have some external chamber connected to your main box
volume by a 1/4" hole or something ridiculous..

Posted to rec.audio.car
D.Kreft D.Kreft is offline

On Jul 1, 1:20 pm, ruens wrote:

We've all ****ed up when building boxes at one point or another.
Simply put, trash it, take it as a lesson learned, plan and build
another. Why bother wasting your time trying to fix it?

Your reply leads me to believe that you've never worked with
firberglas before. The last thing one wants to do after working with
that stuff is to trash his work just because the enclosure is a bit
under spec. If I were him, I'd be trying like mad to salvage my work,
too.

The thing I haven't seen from the original poster, however, is how
much "a little" undersized this box is. There is a threshold below
which no amount of stuffing is going to help.

-dan

Posted to rec.audio.car
Gunz4me Gunz4me is offline

D.Kreft wrote:
On Jul 1, 1:20 pm, ruens wrote:

We've all ****ed up when building boxes at one point or another.
Simply put, trash it, take it as a lesson learned, plan and build
another. Why bother wasting your time trying to fix it?

Your reply leads me to believe that you've never worked with
firberglas before. The last thing one wants to do after working with
that stuff is to trash his work just because the enclosure is a bit
under spec. If I were him, I'd be trying like mad to salvage my work,
too.

The thing I haven't seen from the original poster, however, is how
much "a little" undersized this box is. There is a threshold below
which no amount of stuffing is going to help.

-dan

Bleh, I hate working with fiberglass. It is a royal PITA, and I hate
being covered in that itchy, picky, dust when sanding it down.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Nick and Tina Nick and Tina is offline

Not a big deal, dude! Thanks, though. :-)

~Mister.Lull

**** yah it's a big deal you asshole! We have never reached a concensus
about the Polyfil debate and you act like it's not a big ****ing
deal!?!?!?!?!

OK, genius, leave the Polyfil debate behind! See if I care. Just make your
noise and leave important issues behind. You make me sick.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car

On Jul 4, 8:29 pm, "Nick and Tina" wrote:
Not a big deal, dude! Thanks, though. :-)

~Mister.Lull

**** yah it's a big deal you asshole! We have never reached a concensus
about the Polyfil debate and you act like it's not a big ****ing
deal!?!?!?!?!

OK, genius, leave the Polyfil debate behind! See if I care. Just make your
noise and leave important issues behind. You make me sick.

MOSFET

LOL!!!!
Have I told you that it's nice to have you back around?!

:-)
~Mister.Lull

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Lull,

I DID NOT post that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know Howdy is a whiz at the computer and this seems like his brand of
humor but I ASSURE you I DID NOT type that and I don't drink or do drugs so
this not some kind of late-night-drunk-post.

Sorry for the mix-up but I would HOPE from all my hundreds of posts in the
past (over 15 years) that you would know that is certainly not the way I
communicate.

Take care,

Nick

"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Jul 4, 8:29 pm, "Nick and Tina" wrote:
Not a big deal, dude! Thanks, though. :-)

~Mister.Lull

**** yah it's a big deal you asshole! We have never reached a concensus
about the Polyfil debate and you act like it's not a big ****ing
deal!?!?!?!?!

OK, genius, leave the Polyfil debate behind! See if I care. Just make

your
noise and leave important issues behind. You make me sick.

MOSFET

LOL!!!!
Have I told you that it's nice to have you back around?!

:-)
~Mister.Lull

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Oh, oops, I forgot, I did post that. I was making a joke. It was so long
ago I forgot I was being ironic. When I first read it though I thought "what
the hell is going on here? I like Lull!" Duh.

Nick

"Nick and Tina" wrote in message

Not a big deal, dude! Thanks, though. :-)

~Mister.Lull

**** yah it's a big deal you asshole! We have never reached a concensus
about the Polyfil debate and you act like it's not a big ****ing
deal!?!?!?!?!

OK, genius, leave the Polyfil debate behind! See if I care. Just make

your
noise and leave important issues behind. You make me sick.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

MOSFET wrote:
Oh, oops, I forgot, I did post that. I was making a joke. It was so long
ago I forgot I was being ironic. When I first read it though I thought "what
the hell is going on here? I like Lull!" Duh.

Ha! I *knew* MOSFET and Howdy were really the same person!

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy[_3_] Captain Howdy[_3_] is offline

After all this time Mosfet still wants to **** me, thats true luv!!!!!!!!!

In article , "MOSFET"
wrote:
Lull,

I DID NOT post that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know Howdy is a whiz at the computer and this seems like his brand of
humor but I ASSURE you I DID NOT type that and I don't drink or do drugs so
this not some kind of late-night-drunk-post.

Sorry for the mix-up but I would HOPE from all my hundreds of posts in the
past (over 15 years) that you would know that is certainly not the way I
communicate.

Take care,

Nick

"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 4, 8:29 pm, "Nick and Tina" wrote:
Not a big deal, dude! Thanks, though. :-)

~Mister.Lull

**** yah it's a big deal you asshole! We have never reached a concensus
about the Polyfil debate and you act like it's not a big ****ing
deal!?!?!?!?!

OK, genius, leave the Polyfil debate behind! See if I care. Just make

your
noise and leave important issues behind. You make me sick.

MOSFET

LOL!!!!
Have I told you that it's nice to have you back around?!

:-)
~Mister.Lull

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

After all this time Mosfet still wants to **** me, thats true luv!!!!!!!!!

Just tell me where and when, lover.

Kisses,

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy[_3_] Captain Howdy[_3_] is offline

Got your mtx yet or are ya still playin with your nuts?

In article , "MOSFET"
wrote:
After all this time Mosfet still wants to **** me, thats true luv!!!!!!!!!

Just tell me where and when, lover.

Kisses,

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Well, if you'd call a Soundstream Ref. 700 nuts then the answer to that
question is I'm still using nuts.

But I want an MTX Class D so bad it hurts. Especially because my 7 year old
Optima Yellow-Top crapped out on me (it won't take a charge anymore).
Unfortunately right now I can't rationalize $200 for a battery so I just
went out and bought a basic car battery. So power is REALLY at a premium in
my car.

And my wife just bought a new car which has a fairly decent Pioneer HU to
start with, but of course no bump so that will have to be changed in short
order so I have MANY things on my wish list right now. I have a sealed box
with holes for two 15" subs that would fit nicely in the trunk of her Mazda
MX6. If I bought a MTX Class D for my Forester, I could put the nuts (SS
Ref. 700) in her car to drive the 15" subs (that I have yet to buy).
That's the plan right now.

MOSFET

wrote:
After all this time Mosfet still wants to **** me, thats true

luv!!!!!!!!!

Just tell me where and when, lover.

Kisses,

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy[_3_] Captain Howdy[_3_] is offline

Car audio prices are insane right now for used crap. If you can hold off wait
till winter.

I just bought a grand cherokee and just the idea of knowing that Im going to
install an alarm in it is making me tired alone. Everything is tied into the
computer on this truck and it needs interface data bus modules that I'm not
looking forward to installing. As for audio it has a crappy looking sony cd hu
wired to the factory infinity system. Once my winter car dies I'll just
transfer the trash (two sony 12's, mtx 801d and two mtx rt202 kenwood mp3 hu)
from it into the Cherokee. Lots of room in there to work with just not willing
to spend the money on another system like the one in my summer car and this
limits my playing time to nothing since its just not what i'm use to bumping.

In article , "MOSFET"
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car

On Aug 7, 2:48 pm, "MOSFET" wrote:
Oh, oops, I forgot, I did post that. I was making a joke. It was so long
ago I forgot I was being ironic. When I first read it though I thought "what
the hell is going on here? I like Lull!" Duh.

Nick

"Nick and Tina" wrote in ...

Not a big deal, dude! Thanks, though. :-)

~Mister.Lull

**** yah it's a big deal you asshole! We have never reached a concensus
about the Polyfil debate and you act like it's not a big ****ing
deal!?!?!?!?!

OK, genius, leave the Polyfil debate behind! See if I care. Just make

your
noise and leave important issues behind. You make me sick.

MOSFET- Hide quoted text -

HA! I kind of figured you'd posted it as a joke, or at least that's
how I was going to take it... :-)

Two FIFTEENS in the next design for you?!! Damn! That's just too
much for me - I'm still happy bumpin' one ten...

(Mister.Lull cruises along with his mini-bumps... bump, bump, bump)

~Mister.Lull

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Car audio prices are insane right now for used crap. If you can hold off
wait
till winter.

Yes. You're absolutely right.

But it IS a good time to sell. I've been selling all my old **** lately and
getting insane prices. For instance, I had this old RF Power 360 where one
channel was blown (and I made that REALLY clear in my description that it
was broken and only one channel worked) and got $76 for it!!!!!! I would
have been happy with $20 for a broken amp!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESO:IT&ih=008

That's the market for you. it is a GREAT time to sell but NOT a good time
to buy.

MOSFET