Mike Rivers

Default AES Show Report

I finally finished my AES show report. It's at
http://mysite.verizon.net/mikerivers...ES_Oct2005.PDF

I think that it's about the end of an era and this is going to be the
last of these. They're getting too long, they take me too much time,
and all the information is out there pretty quickly now anyway.

Who's going to take over?

Pawel Kusmierek

Thanks!

Their new EH-R1 is a sturdy looking ribbon mic that I suspect
(though did not confirm) is manufactured in the Soviet Union like several of the
other E-H products.

I am pretty sure that it is NOT manufactured in the Soviet Union :-)

DC

Thanks Mike!
John Adair

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 03:31:26 +0100, Pawel Kusmierek wrote
(in article .com):

Thanks!

Their new EH-R1 is a sturdy looking ribbon mic that I suspect
(though did not confirm) is manufactured in the Soviet Union like several
of the
other E-H products.

I am pretty sure that it is NOT manufactured in the Soviet Union :-)

Isn't it a rebadged Oktava ML-52? So it would almost certainly be
manufactured in the... Oh, hold on, I get it!

John

--

yorkio65 at yahoo dot co dot uk

Predrag Trpkov

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
oups.com...
I finally finished my AES show report. It's at
http://mysite.verizon.net/mikerivers...ES_Oct2005.PDF

I think that it's about the end of an era and this is going to be the
last of these. They're getting too long, they take me too much time,
and all the information is out there pretty quickly now anyway.

Who's going to take over?

Pity. I found your reports very helpful. Saved me a lot of time and
mousework. By all means, thanks for your efforts.

Predrag

hank alrich

Mike Rivers wrote:

I finally finished my AES show report. It's at
http://mysite.verizon.net/mikerivers...ES_Oct2005.PDF

I think that it's about the end of an era and this is going to be the
last of these. They're getting too long, they take me too much time,
and all the information is out there pretty quickly now anyway.

Humble expressions of extended gratitude, whiskey, etc. Well done, as
usual, if not always. g

Who's going to take over?

I dunno, but I'm thinking this could be the end of an era. Really.

--
ha
Michael R. Kesti

hank alrich wrote:

I dunno, but I'm thinking this could be the end of an era. Really.

I agree. Completely.

| two, one and one make one."
Robert Warren

Mike Rivers wrote:
I finally finished my AES show report. It's at
http://mysite.verizon.net/mikerivers...ES_Oct2005.PDF

I think that it's about the end of an era and this is going to be the
last of these. They're getting too long, they take me too much time,
and all the information is out there pretty quickly now anyway.

Who's going to take over?

Mike

Thanks for the report, I really appreciate you covering stuff that most
of us will not get to see or hear about. I hope someone who goes to AES
regularly will volunteer to do this.

Thanks Again

Robert
Matrixmusic

Great Stuff Mike
kevin

Desdinova

Mike Rivers wrote:
I finally finished my AES show report. It's at
http://mysite.verizon.net/mikerivers...ES_Oct2005.PDF

I think that it's about the end of an era and this is going to be the
last of these. They're getting too long, they take me too much time,
and all the information is out there pretty quickly now anyway.

Who's going to take over?

Didn't see any synths in there.

Has showing synths fallen out of favour at AES?

Take care,
Des

Mike Rivers

Desdinova wrote:

Didn't see any synths in there.
Has showing synths fallen out of favour at AES?

Like I wrote in the introduction, I reported on things that interest me
and where I spent the most time. There were some soft synths there, but
I have zero interest in those. Akai and Kawai weren't there, and Roland
was only showing their industrial products. NAMM is the show for
synths, but I don't bother to report on them any more either other than
really innovative things.

Scott Dorsey

Desdinova wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:
I finally finished my AES show report. It's at
http://mysite.verizon.net/mikerivers...ES_Oct2005.PDF

I think that it's about the end of an era and this is going to be the
last of these. They're getting too long, they take me too much time,
and all the information is out there pretty quickly now anyway.

Who's going to take over?

Didn't see any synths in there.

Has showing synths fallen out of favour at AES?

There were a couple of them, but AES isn't the NAMM show by any means.
The only one I paid any attention to was the NEKO Production Station
from Open Labs, which was sort of a DAW and a synth crossed together.

KGT

First off Thanks for the reports I do aprieciate your work. secondly
MUSE was there and I concider it very significant for working musos on
a phyical and $budget. I saw a Doepler (sp) controller there too.

Kevin Tracy

Mike Rivers

KGT wrote:

MUSE was there and I concider it very significant for working musos on
a phyical and $budget. I saw a Doepler (sp) controller there too.

Thanks for the detailed report.

Mike Rivers

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Has showing synths fallen out of favour at AES?

The only one I paid any attention to was the NEKO Production Station
from Open Labs, which was sort of a DAW and a synth crossed together.

They keep adding more CPU power to it, but the basic product is old
news (introduced at NAMM in 2004). Similarly with MUSE, if that's the
same MUSE I'm thinking of - a hardware box that runs plug-ins.

There are always things that come to mind after I finish the report
that I didn't bring home literature about. I guess I need one of those
pocket-sized recorders after all. I lose notes that I write on paper
because usually all I have is the back side of press releases to write
on, and I see the press release side first and throw the paper away.

Worth noting that I didn't include is Speck's new X-Sum line level
mixer, something that everyone seems to want. It's more than a place to
plug in all your keyboards, it has 16 stereo inputs with level and pan,
and each pair can be assigned to either the main output or a Mix-B
output. Either output can be monitored via the built-in headphone
ampllifier, and multiple units can be stacked for more inputs:
http://www.speck.com/XSum/XSum.shtml

Another is NHT's newest integration of the DEQX DSP system with a power
amplifier. The DEQX serves as the crossover and corrects the speaker in
the frequency and time domain, making for frequency response out of the
speaker flat +/- 0.5 dB over its working range of 55 Hz to 20 kHz. It's
not a room correction system, so you still need to take care of that
part. What reminded me that NHT had something worth mentioning is the
button they were handing out, another thing worth mentioning. The
graphic is a cat surrounded by the numbers 1 through 9, representing 9
lives. 1-4 are marked out, signifying that the company is on its fifth
"life" with a fifth owner. http://www.nhtpro.com/mastering.html#

I'm sure there are other interesting things that I forgot. I'll add to
this thread as they come to me. The rest of you can, too.

georgeh

Robert Warren writes:

Mike Rivers wrote:
I finally finished my AES show report. It's at
http://mysite.verizon.net/mikerivers...ES_Oct2005.PDF
I think that it's about the end of an era and this is going to be the
last of these. They're getting too long, they take me too much time,
and all the information is out there pretty quickly now anyway.
Who's going to take over?

Mike

Thanks for the report, I really appreciate you covering stuff that most
of us will not get to see or hear about. I hope someone who goes to AES
regularly will volunteer to do this.
Thanks Again
Robert

Ditto. Thanks for your efforts over the yrs.

Mike Rivers wrote:

I think that it's about the end of an era and this is going to be the
last of these. They're getting too long, they take me too much time,
and all the information is out there pretty quickly now anyway.

I wonder... what if you posted a paypal link for people to throw a
little cash your way? I'd pay a few bucks for your report to these
shows... provided, of course, you promised to keep doing it!

Mike Rivers

wrote:

I wonder... what if you posted a paypal link for people to throw a
little cash your way? I'd pay a few bucks for your report to these
shows... provided, of course, you promised to keep doing it!

Better would be to get a web site or magazine to pay me a generous
fixed amount. Donations wouldn't amount to a hill of beans (as many
software writers who try to put their work out as tryware have
learned). Out-of-pocket cost for me to attend a show is on the order of
$750. Add a modest $50/hour to cover about 25 hours at the show and
about another 20 hours writing it up, that's about $3,000 worth in the
real world.

Back when the concept of posting show reports through the Internet was
new, I'd spend the day at the show, go back to my hotel room and write
for a few hours about what I saw that day, go to dinner, come back and
write some more, and post a daily report before I went to bed. It was
novel, and it was sufficiently real-time so that if someone had a
question about something I had observed, I could return to the booth
and fill in the blanks or correct the mistakes. But that got old after
about 10 years and as shows got bigger.

For a couple of years, I did get paid pretty decently by a web site for
an "exclusive" but eventually that morphed into the Mix organization
and how they have their own editorial staff posting a daily blog plus
doing the write-up for the print and web versions of the magazine.
Recording thanks me for my input, but doesn't pay me.

I can be bought, but not for donations. But thanks for the thought.

Ty Ford

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 07:09:10 -0400, Mike Rivers wrote
(in article . com):

wrote:

[...]

I always wondered about Mike giving it away for free. He and I have talked
about this several times over the years. Even if a publisher did pay him for
a show report (as others have paid me in years past) I doubt the publisher
would be cool with him also giving it away for free to this newsgroup or
anywhere else.

That line of what we do as friends and as professionals may be thin here, but
it's not invisible.

There were several rather large companies with integration services for audio
systems at the show. They sell information and expertise; nothing wrong with
that. I do it as well, but on an obviously smaller and more personal scale.

It was a great show for me. I learned a lot. I also had the revelation that,
after going to enough of these over the years, I could stand anywhere on the
display floor, turn in a circle and see at least one person I considered a
colleague or friend. Usually more than one.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at
www.tyford.com

If NHT took care of servicing their out of production EQ's and mic
pre's, I might bite.

Since they don't, I would consider that they won't be around long to
service anything new.

As Scotty says, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on
me".

Let the buyer beware....

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Mike Rivers

Ty Ford wrote:

I always wondered about Mike giving it away for free. He and I have talked
about this several times over the years. Even if a publisher did pay him for
a show report (as others have paid me in years past) I doubt the publisher
would be cool with him also giving it away for free to this newsgroup or
anywhere else.

My intent is just to see it published, and, when in the past I have
found someone to foot the bill, the show reports have been published on
line, through a web site, and at no charge to the reader (other than to
visit the publisher's web site and maybe see some ads), so the goal is
accomplished.

I suppose I could solicit $50 from every manufacturer that I deem worth
reporting in exchange for putting them in my report. I'm sure they'd be
happy to pay that small pittance, but I wouldn't do that. I don't mind
"selling" the report, but I don't want to give the impression that
inclusions are sold.

It was a great show for me. I learned a lot. I also had the revelation that,
after going to enough of these over the years, I could stand anywhere on the
display floor, turn in a circle and see at least one person I considered a
colleague or friend. Usually more than one.

Lesseee . . . were were we standing when I saw you?

Roger W. Norman

I have found that a lot of the people here do things as friends without much
more than maybe a second thought if the effort requires travel. Harvey
sends JohnnyV a Soundtracs console, he and I go up and pick it up and no
questions that just that was going to happen (pickup was near BWI). Harvey
wanted the MCI and people came and helped at Blevin's place to get it
loaded, and at the trailer to get it in through the wall (including taking
out the wall). Scott, Mike, Phil (an old one, Mothra666) show up without
question when I've needed them, and Scott has to come up from Williamsburg.
I believe I owe Scott at least one sci-fi thing in Boston, at the least.
And Melissa, too, because she's worked just as hard on my jazz festival
projects as Scott did. And she's not afraid to put a big knife to a screw
to fix a piece of equipment either! g

However, I don't find the spirit here these days and so I don't spend my
mornings here like I used to. Oh well, you guys have probably appreciated
the absence.

In the case of Mike or some other RAP reporter going to shows, it's not
cheap. I spent years on my dollar going to CES shows and we're not talking
about just getting something back in terms of pennies per word, but travel,
accomodations, food, and simple wear and tear on the body walking big spaces
for small finds. And certainly no sponsor would pay for all that Mike has
taken the time to look up and write about. They'd edit it down to one page
and he'd get maybe $75. Hardly worth the effort if you don't take love of
the job into account.

Hmmm, kinda like doing music in the first place. 99% of the people involved
with music other than being active and paid musicians or major label support
people do the job for the love of music. That pretty much says that
participation is mostly the love of music, and it means that anyone wanting
a bargaining chip mostly doesn't have one.

Or, more succinctly, the big guys have all the chips, and so the little guys
get one that falls on the floor once in a while.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

wrote:

[...]

-- Ty Ford's equipment reviews, audio samples, rates and other

audiocentric
stuff are at
www.tyford.com

Ty Ford

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 11:21:25 -0400, Mike Rivers wrote
(in article . com):

Ty Ford wrote:

[...]

mens room, third and fourth urinal. The water was cold...and DEEP.

Ty

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Ty Ford

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 13:37:56 -0400, Roger W. Norman wrote
(in article ):

Or, more succinctly, the big guys have all the chips, and so the little guys
get one that falls on the floor once in a while.

well put.... 5 second rule!

Ty

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Scott Dorsey

wrote:
If NHT took care of servicing their out of production EQ's and mic
pre's, I might bite.

Since they don't, I would consider that they won't be around long to
service anything new.

The problem with NHT is the same problem that most of the rest of the
industry has: they keep getting bought out. Every time I look, they
are under new ownership and they don't want to talk about the stuff they
made previously.

As Scotty says, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on
me".

Let the buyer beware....

If you ask Ken Kantor nicely, he may have some of the old docs in
a closet somewhere. I think he is with Tymphany now.

Scott Dorsey

Ty Ford wrote:

Where is Burgess anyway?

He's at home, and he's been seen around town at restaurants, but he is
not answering the phone.

hank alrich

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Ty Ford wrote:

Where is Burgess anyway?

He's at home, and he's been seen around town at restaurants, but he is
not answering the phone.

His phone probbly doesn't even work. g

--
ha

kkantor

Hmmm... NHT is (was?) pretty good at supporting older products, despite
the ownership rollercoaster. As Scott said, I'd be happy to dig out
anything I have, or try and put you in touch with friends at the
company. (You don't even have to ask nicely.) However, I'm pretty
sure that NHT never made any pre's or EQ's, so you might be thinking of
a different brand.

-k

www.tymphany.com

Scott Dorsey

In article .com,
kkantor wrote:
Hmmm... NHT is (was?) pretty good at supporting older products, despite
the ownership rollercoaster. As Scott said, I'd be happy to dig out
anything I have, or try and put you in touch with friends at the
company. (You don't even have to ask nicely.) However, I'm pretty
sure that NHT never made any pre's or EQ's, so you might be thinking of
a different brand.

Hmm... coould he have been thinking of NTI (Night Technologies)? Everything
they did was secret and they never had any service data even while the
products were current.

Kurt Albershardt

kkantor wrote:
Hmmm... NHT is (was?) pretty good at supporting older products, despite
the ownership rollercoaster. As Scott said, I'd be happy to dig out
anything I have, or try and put you in touch with friends at the
company. (You don't even have to ask nicely.) However, I'm pretty
sure that NHT never made any pre's or EQ's, so you might be thinking of
a different brand.

I *knew* that sounded odd to me. Thanks for confirming my suspicions ;

kkantor

Oh, very good guess! I was thinking NHK, but that didn't really make
much sense.

-k

www.tymphany.com