Shadowman

Default I want to make a downloadable file from an audio CD

Hi group(s),

The subject says it. I have an audio CD made by a musician friend. I
would like to take one of the tracks and make a file of it which I can then
send to some other friends by email. The CD tracks are in the standard *.cda
(red book?) format. How best would I do this?

Do I need a program to "rip" the tracks and put them onto my hard disk
and if so which is recommended? Would they then be in mp3 or *.wav format?

I hope also -- eventually -- that there will be a website for this
friend's band from which one could download samples of their music, once I
know how this is done, but at the moment I don't have a lot of bandwidth and
a relatively slow, analog connection.

Thanks in advance your replies, either in the group or to the
address after removal of "nospam",

Michael Anders

donutbandit

"Shadowman" wrote in
:

Hi group(s),

The subject says it. I have an audio CD made by a musician friend.
would like to take one of the tracks and make a file of it which I can
then send to some other friends by email. The CD tracks are in the
standard *.cda (red book?) format. How best would I do this?

Do I need a program to "rip" the tracks and put them onto my hard
disk
and if so which is recommended? Would they then be in mp3 or *.wav
format?

You would need to rip the tracks to a compressed format. MP3 is preferred
by most. A good free program to do this is CDex.

Be aware that some ISPs will bounce large emails. A 3 minute song ripped to
128 kbps will still be at least 1.5 MB.

Todd H.

"Shadowman" writes:

Hi group(s),

The subject says it. I have an audio CD made by a musician friend. I
would like to take one of the tracks and make a file of it which I can then
send to some other friends by email. The CD tracks are in the standard *.cda
(red book?) format. How best would I do this?

Do I need a program to "rip" the tracks and put them onto my hard disk

Yes. Those .cda's you see when you load a CD into a compute rdrive
and browse it are essentially... well, nothing useful.

and if so which is recommended? Would they then be in mp3 or *.wav
format?

I like MusicMatch Jukebox from musicmatch.com. It can rip to mp3 or
to WAV, and can convert in between. It also nicely organizes your
audio files...and can be used directly to burn compilation CD's as you
wish. I've been a licensed user for quite some time.

LAME is another popular ripping program that's probably avalable for
more platforms (you don't specify which).

And you've cross-posted a relatively basic question to a boatload of
newsgroups, so you may need put on your flame retardant underwear.
:-)

Best Regards,
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
Dimitris Tzortzakakis

Why not send'em the cd?It would be easier, less tiresome and with better
quality.

--
Dimitris Tzortzakakis,Greece
Visit our website-now with air condition!
"Shadowman" writes:

[...]

David White

"Todd H." wrote in message
I like MusicMatch Jukebox from musicmatch.com. It can rip to mp3 or
to WAV, and can convert in between. It also nicely organizes your
audio files...and can be used directly to burn compilation CD's as you
wish. I've been a licensed user for quite some time.

This is probably the worst designed software I've ever come across. It's big
and clunky and badly laid out. I don't know what the latest version is like,
but one that I used for recording (before I got some proper software)
couldn't even do basic things like copy and paste in the edit field for
naming the recorded file. If something went wrong I had to start again and
type the song name in again. The only use I for it now is editing the tags
of MP3 files. I'm sure there's much simpler software that can do that as
well; I just haven't bothered to look for it yet.

David

Todd H.

"David White" writes:
"Todd H." wrote in message
I like MusicMatch Jukebox from musicmatch.com. It can rip to mp3 or
to WAV, and can convert in between. It also nicely organizes your
audio files...and can be used directly to burn compilation CD's as you
wish. I've been a licensed user for quite some time.

This is probably the worst designed software I've ever come across.

Hrmm. Works for me. But maybe I'm just a lemming without much
computer experience. ;-)

Seriously, Musicmatch has actually been one of the more reliable
programs I've ever had on my computer. I've run under win2k for the
past several years and NT before that, so YMMV. Curious if perhaps
it's crap under 95/98/ME.

Best Regards,
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
X Promoting good netiquette | http://triplethreatband.com/
/ \ http://www.toddh.net/netiquette/ | "4 lines suffice."
David White

"Todd H." wrote in message
"David White" writes:
This is probably the worst designed software I've ever come across.

Hrmm. Works for me. But maybe I'm just a lemming without much
computer experience. ;-)

I think its main problem is that it's trying to be everything in one
application. It even tries to be an operating system. Frankly, I just don't
understand why anyone needs to have a full file management system in
something like that. (If I delete a file from it it even wants to know if I
want to delete it from my hard drive - no thank you). Why not just use the
operating system for that purpose and double click on whatever song you want
to listen to? Unless you really want it to be a jukebox, which I imagine few
do, since it's usually just one person sitting at their computer at home,
the need for such a clunky interface escapes me.

Seriously, Musicmatch has actually been one of the more reliable
programs I've ever had on my computer. I've run under win2k for the
past several years and NT before that, so YMMV. Curious if perhaps
it's crap under 95/98/ME.

It hangs my system if I try to start it when some other audio software is
already running. An error message would be more appropriate.

David

Todd H.

"David White" writes:

"Todd H." wrote in message
"David White" writes:
This is probably the worst designed software I've ever come across.

Hrmm. Works for me. But maybe I'm just a lemming without much
computer experience. ;-)

I think its main problem is that it's trying to be everything in one
application.

And I actually see that as a feature--one stop shopping for many
things I need to do with digital audio files.

It even tries to be an operating system. Frankly, I just don't
understand why anyone needs to have a full file management system in
something like that. (If I delete a file from it it even wants to
know if I want to delete it from my hard drive - no thank you).

And I actually like that--one less window to open when/if I really do
want to clean out the library and the underlying file.

Why not just use the operating system for that purpose and double
click on whatever song you want to listen to?

Works fine if you like clicking new files manually every time a single
song ends. Or if you don't want to see files organized by artist
rather than filename, or song title rather than filename, or sorted by
duration, or bitrate.

Unless you really want it to be a jukebox,

Well the name of the program is "Musicmatch Jukebox." The playlist
functionality is rather the point of digital audio playing software,
n'est ce pas?

which I imagine few do, since it's usually just one person sitting
at their computer at home, the need for such a clunky interface
escapes me.

Curious..what are you using that you like better?

Seriously, Musicmatch has actually been one of the more reliable
programs I've ever had on my computer. I've run under win2k for
the past several years and NT before that, so YMMV. Curious if
perhaps it's crap under 95/98/ME.

It hangs my system if I try to start it when some other audio
software is already running. An error message would be more
appropriate.

If it hung my system, I wouldn't be thrilled either. But, I'm happy
to report that it doesn't on any of my win2k boxes.

From an application programmer perspective, it's not always possible
to detect and report errors when/if the operating system does a poor
job of mitigating hardware contention issues and instead just freezes.
I mention this not to debate wheter MMJB is crappy on your system
(obviously it is not adding value for you), but rather to suggest that
MMJB may not be the only place to lay blame--an unstable OS or
inexpertly written drivers (do you perchance have a Creative sound
card?) could just as easily lay equal claim to the problems you've
observed.

Best Regards,
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
X Promoting good netiquette | http://triplethreatband.com/
/ \ http://www.toddh.net/netiquette/ | "4 lines suffice."
David White

"Todd H." wrote in message
"David White" writes:

I think its main problem is that it's trying to be everything in one
application.

And I actually see that as a feature--one stop shopping for many
things I need to do with digital audio files.

Okay, but there are sure to be applications dedicated to one aspect of audio
(recording, playing, burning onto CDs, editing etc.) that will be better
than MusicMatch. You aren't suggesting that it does all these things better
than everything else, are you?

Why not just use the operating system for that purpose and double
click on whatever song you want to listen to?

Works fine if you like clicking new files manually every time a single
song ends.

I certainly don't mind that. It's very easy. I usually don't know what I
want to play next until the song is over anyway.

Well the name of the program is "Musicmatch Jukebox." The playlist
functionality is rather the point of digital audio playing software,
n'est ce pas?

which I imagine few do, since it's usually just one person sitting
at their computer at home, the need for such a clunky interface
escapes me.

Curious..what are you using that you like better?

For playing, Winamp.

From an application programmer perspective, it's not always possible
to detect and report errors when/if the operating system does a poor
job of mitigating hardware contention issues and instead just freezes.
I mention this not to debate wheter MMJB is crappy on your system
(obviously it is not adding value for you), but rather to suggest that
MMJB may not be the only place to lay blame--an unstable OS or
inexpertly written drivers (do you perchance have a Creative sound
card?) could just as easily lay equal claim to the problems you've
observed.

Well, it repaints its window many times a second, so it obviously is still
running and has control. Anyway, this is beside my main point. Any
application can have a bug.

David

Shadowman

Thanks for the input

Todd H.

"David White" writes:

"Todd H." wrote in message
"David White" writes:

I think its main problem is that it's trying to be everything in one
application.

And I actually see that as a feature--one stop shopping for many
things I need to do with digital audio files.

Okay, but there are sure to be applications dedicated to one aspect
of audio (recording, playing, burning onto CDs, editing etc.) that
will be better than MusicMatch. You aren't suggesting that it does
all these things better than everything else, are you?

No, but I can report that when I started using musicmatch, the CD
burning functionality it added was a LOT more stable than
then-adaptec's EZ CD Creator program that had come with my drive. And
even today that Roxio has it, EZ CD/DVD Creator is still less stable
than Musicmatch's burner. Just one example.

Why not just use the operating system for that purpose and
double click on whatever song you want to listen to?

Works fine if you like clicking new files manually every time a single
song ends.

I certainly don't mind that. It's very easy. I usually don't know what I
want to play next until the song is over anyway.

Then it's clear why MusicMatch, or any jukebox program seems overkill
to you.

Curious..what are you using that you like better?

For playing, Winamp.

I hear it really kicks the llama's ass. Winamp is nice if you just
need a player, no doubt.

But suppose you're in a band, and you routinely, say need to put
together compilations of various tunes from your CD collection, and
burn a CD's along with CD labels to give to the new keyboard player to
aid in learning material...using LAME to Rip, Winamp to preview, Nero
to burn, and something else to print a label with a track list gets
old in a hurry. It's that flow where MMJB saves a person a boatload
of time, and I honestly can't remember the last time it crashed.

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
X Promoting good netiquette | http://triplethreatband.com/
/ \ http://www.toddh.net/netiquette/ | "4 lines suffice."
CQ

Todd H. said...

the CD
burning functionality it added was a LOT more stable than

The CD burner in MMJB rocks. That's the only thing I use my bought and
paid for version of MMJB for and it is worth every penny I paid for the
whole program.

I just made a shortcut to MMJBBurn.exe and put it on my QuickStart bar,
launches just the burner without the jukebox or any of the other stuff.

Excellent burner for making audio CDs. I still use Nero for making data
CDs because it will verify the data after burning which MMJB doesn't do,
but for audio it is MMJB.
--
CQ

David White

"Todd H." wrote in message
But suppose you're in a band, and you routinely, say need to put
together compilations of various tunes from your CD collection, and
burn a CD's along with CD labels to give to the new keyboard player to
aid in learning material...using LAME to Rip, Winamp to preview, Nero
to burn, and something else to print a label with a track list gets
old in a hurry. It's that flow where MMJB saves a person a boatload
of time, and I honestly can't remember the last time it crashed.

I'd suggest that band members are a pretty small slice of the market. I
didn't say it was unsuitable for everyone.

David

What Software for Editing Sound on PC SPS22 General 122 January 27th 04 12:58 AM
Audio file format query PT General 0 December 28th 03 07:36 AM
unknown audio file format M.Laymon General 1 October 31st 03 03:25 PM
Want an audio system but dont have the cash? get the cash find out how Ohpineda General 0 August 3rd 03 07:57 PM
fix audio files [email protected] General 1 July 15th 03 05:44 PM