Cindy

Default Sirius Static!

I received a Sirius satellite system and subscription with the new
Audiovox receiver. At home, the signal is wonderful. But there is a
problem listening in the car that is making me think of returning the
whole thing.

Problem: There is very bad static resembling AM radio reception when
listening to Sirius in my car . The signal bars on the satellite
radio indicate 2 or 3 bars. After the initial installation, the FM
radio station assigned to that frequency kept interrupting the
satellite signal. Called Sirius; they told me to adjust the lever on
the side of the mobile mount and select different FM radio frequencies
- this did not work. I took the car back to Circuit City, had the
mobile dock hard-wired under the dash (not plugged into the cigarette
adaptor). The radio interruption is not happening anymore, but the
static still is.

Other information if it matters: the car is a 2001 Honda Accord;
mobile dock is installed in the center console under the dash; the
antennae is on my trunk.

Questions:
1) Is the static typical of satellite radio?
2) If not, any suggestions for solutions?

Thank you for any advice.
Cindy
Jerry G.

Is the static there when the engine is on?

If the static goes away when the engine is off, then the interference is
from something in the engine.

If the reception is poor, thus being the reason for the static, then the
installation must be properly checked out. I know of a few people that have
Satellite radio in their cars, and there are no faults.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
[...]

Cindy

Jerry, thank you for responding.
I did try the engine test. The problem remains. I guess the next
step is to go back to CC again. Any other ideas, anyone?
Still hopeful, CH

"Jerry G." wrote in message ...
[...]

John A. Weeks III

In article , Cindy
wrote:

Jerry, thank you for responding.
I did try the engine test. The problem remains. I guess the next
step is to go back to CC again. Any other ideas, anyone?
Still hopeful, CH

If you turn off your Sirius receiver, do you hear an off-the-air
radio station? If so, that could be leaking through even though
you have a hard-wired connection. Try a different radio frequency.
You have 4 to choose from.

Here in the Twin Cities, I had a problem where all 4 of the choices
of radio stations were used locally, so I had to pick the weakest
one. I still get bleed-through when driving in certain areas of
town.

Having a system that doesn't use the FM modultor, rather, is
direct connected, often works much better. The sound quality
is better, too.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com

Nothing40

"John A. Weeks III" wrote in message ...
In article , Cindy
wrote:

Jerry, thank you for responding.
I did try the engine test. The problem remains. I guess the next
step is to go back to CC again. Any other ideas, anyone?
Still hopeful, CH

If you turn off your Sirius receiver, do you hear an off-the-air
radio station? If so, that could be leaking through even though
you have a hard-wired connection. Try a different radio frequency.
You have 4 to choose from.

Here in the Twin Cities, I had a problem where all 4 of the choices
of radio stations were used locally, so I had to pick the weakest
one. I still get bleed-through when driving in certain areas of
town.

Having a system that doesn't use the FM modultor, rather, is
direct connected, often works much better. The sound quality
is better, too.

-john-

Thwere have been lots of posts about static and Sat radio stuff on
Ramsey's site lately. (they make transmitter kits,and whatnot) Call
Sirius,or whoever makes the radio.Alot of times it's caused from some
RF source within the Sat/XM/whatever reciever.They should send you a
"patch cord" with a ferrite bead on one end,and maybe a couple small
caps (couple pF) to filter out the noise,for free!

have a look around on the forum at
http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi...ultimatebb.cgi

You'll probably see a few posts about XM/Sirius and transmittters
etc.,could be useful.

Cindy

The problem is solved! Here's how:

I took the car back to Circuit City in Ft.Worth, TX. They tried
replacing the mobile mount; the static remained. Next, they tried
installing a FM Modulator that is directly wired instead of being
wireless. That did it! I drove all around DFW in high spots, low
spots, under overpasses, and by radio towers to make sure the problem
was solved. Apparently, some cars don't do well with the wireless FM
modulator. Anyway, so far, so great! I finally have the clear sound
that was expected! Many thanks to all who responded which helped me
suggest solutions and speak the lingo to the installers.
Cindy

wrote:

[...]

John A. Weeks III

In article , Cindy
wrote:

The problem is solved! Here's how:

As you found out, the wireless modulators mostly suck in cars.
They are OK if you can put the Sirius unit right next to the car
antenna, and have no strong over-the-air stations in the area.

Using a hard-wired connection is better. A external modulator
also works OK. A hard-wired audio connection using RCA jacks
and cables is much better than any RF method. Having the
satellite built into your car stereo is the best scenario.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com