Daniel

Default Reverb & EQ and "damping" etc .. please explain ..

Hello,

Excuse my rather rudimentary question but could anyone please explain, in
layman's terms, the idea behind having EQ and something called "damping" on
some reverb gear ?

Thanks a lot,

Daniel

David Morley

In article oZ7ib.75924$pl3.71694@pd7tw3no,
"Daniel" wrote:

Hello,

Excuse my rather rudimentary question but could anyone please explain, in
layman's terms, the idea behind having EQ and something called "damping" on
some reverb gear ?

Thanks a lot,

Daniel

damping is where the high or low frequencies are reduced over time.
Certain materials absorb different frequencies differently, so it means
you can replicate say a carpeted room by more damping than say a stone
chamber.
Someone else will explain it much better than me I hope!
Simon Rod.

Both are an expression of how an actual acoustic space affects
reverberation. I would think that in most units, an Eq parameter determines
the frequency response of all material, including early reflections. This
approximates the overall character of the acoustic space.

Dampening is more an expression of the 'liveness' of the space, or how
quickly higher frequencies decay / dissipate in relation to the energy in
the lower frequencies. It can be achieved by using a low pass filter which
is progressively applied to successive reflections. These days the inner
workings (algorithms) are quite sophisticated but in earlier units, this LPF
was simply inserted into the feedback path from the multiple tap outputs
(which are fedback to input for regeneration).

"Daniel" wrote in message
newsZ7ib.75924$pl3.71694@pd7tw3no...
Hello,

Excuse my rather rudimentary question but could anyone please explain, in
layman's terms, the idea behind having EQ and something called "damping"

on
some reverb gear ?

Thanks a lot,

Daniel