Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Grant David Grant is offline

Default Crosstalk on snake

I'm thinking of buying one of the 100' Audiopile snakes but I'm wondering
about using the sends for headphone monitoring (returns will be for mic
level).

If these are amplified unbalanced signals am I likely to have a crosstalk
issue? Any crosstalk would be common-mode so hopefully the mic preamps would
get rid of it, but I've never tried so I don't know.

The alternative is to run line-level headphone mixes through the sends into
a headphone amp at the far end. This reduces the number of headphones mixes
I can carry by a factor of two of course.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"David Grant" wrote in message

I'm thinking of buying one of the 100' Audiopile snakes

????

Snakes are typically professional audio gear.

but I'm wondering about using the sends for headphone
monitoring (returns will be for mic level).

Headphone signals aren't that different from the line-level signals that are
usually sent through snakes with mic signals.

If these are amplified unbalanced signals am I likely to
have a crosstalk issue?

The crosstalk issues are addressed by the fact that the microphone
connections are balanced.

Any crosstalk would be
common-mode so hopefully the mic preamps would get rid of
it, but I've never tried so I don't know.

What you propose to do is not substantially different from the common
practice of sending mains and/or monitors line-level signals down the same
snake as is used for microphones.

The alternative is to run line-level headphone mixes
through the sends into a headphone amp at the far end.

Headphone amps don't provide that much amplification. Often they are run at
or even below unity gain. Your biggest loss will be the loss of gain
controls for the headphone amps.

Nothing to worry about.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

David Grant wrote:
I'm thinking of buying one of the 100' Audiopile snakes but I'm wondering
about using the sends for headphone monitoring (returns will be for mic
level).

Sure, that's fine.

If these are amplified unbalanced signals am I likely to have a crosstalk
issue? Any crosstalk would be common-mode so hopefully the mic preamps would
get rid of it, but I've never tried so I don't know.

No, not if your grounding is careful.

The alternative is to run line-level headphone mixes through the sends into
a headphone amp at the far end. This reduces the number of headphones mixes
I can carry by a factor of two of course.

This is generally a smarter idea anyway because you don't have as much of
an issue with resistive losses, but with only a hundred feet I probably would
not bother.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
coreybenson coreybenson is offline

On Nov 12, 12:09 pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"David Grant" wrote in message

I'm thinking of buying one of the 100' Audiopile snakes

????

Snakes are typically professional audio gear.

Hey, Arny... Audiopile is a Pro Sound Equipment provider. Nice stuff,
reasonably priced.

http://www.audiopile.net/

Corey
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"coreybenson" wrote in message

On Nov 12, 12:09 pm, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
"David Grant" wrote in
message

I'm thinking of buying one of the 100' Audiopile snakes

????

Snakes are typically professional audio gear.

Hey, Arny... Audiopile is a Pro Sound Equipment
provider. Nice stuff, reasonably priced.

http://www.audiopile.net/

Prices look nice - thanks for the heads up! ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

David Grant wrote:
I'm thinking of buying one of the 100' Audiopile snakes but I'm wondering
about using the sends for headphone monitoring (returns will be for mic
level).

If these are amplified unbalanced signals am I likely to have a crosstalk
issue?

I can't recall ever having a crosstalk problem through a snake, and I
run a mix of mic and line levels all the time. Sometimes even an intercom.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

On Nov 12, 11:58*am, "David Grant" wrote:
I'm thinking of buying one of the 100' Audiopile snakes but I'm wondering
about using the sends for headphone monitoring (returns will be for mic
level).

If these are amplified unbalanced signals am I likely to have a crosstalk
issue? Any crosstalk would be common-mode so hopefully the mic preamps would
get rid of it, but I've never tried so I don't know.

The alternative is to run line-level headphone mixes through the sends into
a headphone amp at the far end. This reduces the number of headphones mixes
I can carry by a factor of two of course.

I'll give you a few ?? too but I think I know what you were getting
at.

To keep things easy, cheap and give a lot of mixes, you might want to
add to your collection of stuff. instead of pres and all that for your
cues, try running 4 sends with the program material that needs
monitoring. Mix that on the stage side through some of those hotspot
monitors and you'll probably get what you want for cheap and easy. If
you don't want to pop for hotspots (I am only guessing you want it on
the cheap) you can find knock offs from just about all the low end
companies these days. I actually bought one from Nady that has a ton
of bells and whistles. It is perfect for a drummer or bass player or
speech :-)
..... really!