IS

Default ProTools or Cool Edit ? ? ?

I have Cool Edit Pro on my computer (a trial version) and now it's time for
me to make up my mind. Do I want to keep it or not?

If I buy it I will have to spend about 200 on a mic pre amp (that's my
budget) so the total with pre amp and Cool Edit Pro is 200 + 250 = 450.
That's exactly how much Mbox with ProTools LE costs.
I have never tried ProTools, but some people say it's a better software than
Cool Edit.

Would someone please advice me if I should spend my money on the MBox with
ProTools le, or Cool Edit Pro plus a Mic Pre amp?

I am buying this only to record my self playing a classical guitar.
I will never record anything more than perhaps me playing a duet with my
self.
But that's it, I'm doing this in my home.

The big thing I don't like about ProTools, if this is true, is that the
sales man (Guitar Center) told me that I can only use the MBox with it. That
I can not use any other pre amp.
Plus I can only record two tracks at a time.
With Cool Edit Pro I can use any preamp.

Thanks for any advice.

IS.

Mark T. Wieczorek

"IS" wrote in
news
[...]

I use both, and I like both. The sales guy is right, ProTools *requires*
you buy the ProTools hardware to get it to work. So if you're planning on
installing CEP on another computer, or giving it to (ahem) your friends,
then it seems DigiDesign has the best copy protection here, and CEP would
be the way to go.

If you have Win9x or OS9 lying around, try ProTools free, available on
DigiDesign's website.

If you like CEP, stick with it, though take a look at the threads here
about Adobe's recent acquisition of Syntrillium, and the cheap deal you can
get on Red Rover.

The main advantage of ProTools over Cool Edit Pro is that your sessions
should travel a little easier to studios that use ProTools. If you're
ProTools on a Mac, it would be even easier.

My assessent is this: ProTools is the easiest of all the audio apps I've
used, Cool Edit Pro is a close second. Cubase/Nuendo, and Sonar are far
behind and I just find them confusing unless I re-read the manual when I
start up with them again.

Good luck to you!

Regards,
Mark

--
http://www.marktaw.com/

http://www.prosoundreview.com/
User reviews of pro audio gear
Mark T. Wieczorek

"IS" wrote in
:

I just checked the Red Rover that sounds like a really cool item to
have. In case I get the ProTools, do they have anything like this,
start recording etc. remotely?

There are a few things like this for ProTools, though most of them
concentrate on having real faders & knobs, because that's what people miss
most. I haven't actually done much research in this area, so I'm afraid
you're on your own, but I know there's the HUI and baby BUI and other
things like that...

http://www.mackie.com/products/babyhui/

etc.

Regards,
Mark

--
http://www.marktaw.com/

http://www.prosoundreview.com/
User reviews of pro audio gear
Mark T. Wieczorek

"IS" wrote in
:

So is it only for the option of being able to share files with a
professional studio that I would want to get ProTools/Mbox?
Is it in no way considered better (or worse) than others, I mean other
than it being easy to learn and operate?

CEP is a top notch program. What you really have to think about is where
you want to go, what you want to do. Recording a live band is very
different from recording yourself as a singer/songwriter is different again
from recording yourself, but sequencing drums and keys so it sounds like
you have a full band behind you.

For example, I fell in love with Reason ( http://www.propellerheads.se/ )
for sequenced drums & keys. Neither CEP or ProTools currently work with
Reason, but Cubase does. Rumour has it, PT will soon though. For now,
though, I use Cubase when I want to work in Reason.

I know on your side of the table - inexperience, not knowing what options
really exist, you feel a little overwhelmed. I had to take the plunge and
buy something before the pieces really started to fit together for me. I
went around asking *everyone* how I was going to do sequenced drums before
I discovered Reason, and that was after I bought my hardware.

After I built my studio, I wrote an overview of the hardware/software
options that presented themselves to me for my personal website:

http://www.marktaw.com/recording/Hom...onaBudget.html

Maybe it will help you out.

Regards,
Mark

--
http://www.marktaw.com/

http://www.prosoundreview.com/
User reviews of pro audio gear
xy

for your situaion, if you are comfortable with cool edit, then it
seems to make sense to stick with it.

since you are not going to be expoiting every feature of the program,
then it comes down to the interface. if you like the interface then
stick with it.

Bob Cain

IS wrote:

I have Cool Edit Pro on my computer (a trial version) and now it's time for
me to make up my mind. Do I want to keep it or not?

I've used CEP for a number of years and except for the
recent bout of instability as it went through it's 2.0
release I have loved it. 2.1 seems to be pretty stable
although it's performance in multitrack is not nearly up to
what is needed to use a practical number of effects as track
inserts. On a 933 mHz machine like mine it falls to its
knees and stutters way too quickly for that but if you are
only doing a couple of tracks it should support you fine.

CEP comes with a remarkably complete toolkit of processes
and functions for manipulating the sound and their quality
is good. I haven't used ProTools other than an aborted
attempt to see what PTFree was like a couple of years ago.
The question I would have for those who do use it is how
does it compare to CEP in terms of built in process
capabilitites? Does the toolkit that comes with CEP have an
equivalent set in PT or are the dymanics, filters, reverbs,
transforms, convolvers, etc. all added cost plugins?

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Arny Krueger

"IS" wrote in message
news
I have Cool Edit Pro on my computer (a trial version) and now it's time

for
me to make up my mind. Do I want to keep it or not?

If I buy it I will have to spend about 200 on a mic pre amp (that's my
budget) so the total with pre amp and Cool Edit Pro is 200 + 250 = 450.

You seem to have missed an important point. If all you want to do is
2-channel recording, you don't need CEP. Cool Edit 2000 is for 2-tracks and
costs $69. It can be expanded to 4 tracks for another $49.

http://www.syntrillium.com/cooledit/

IS

The question I would have for those who do use it is how
does it compare to CEP in terms of built in process
capabilitites?

Does the toolkit that comes with CEP have an
equivalent set in PT or are the dymanics, filters, reverbs,
transforms, convolvers, etc. all added cost plugins?

Great questions.

See, my thing is that I am so new in this field that I don't even know what
to ask for. ha ha ha

Thanks.

IS

Geoff Wood

"Mark T. Wieczorek" wrote in message

My assessent is this: ProTools is the easiest of all the audio apps I've
used, Cool Edit Pro is a close second. Cubase/Nuendo, and Sonar are far
behind and I just find them confusing unless I re-read the manual when I
start up with them again.

Protools 'easiest ' !!! You should try SF Vegas then. Free demo on their
website.

geoff

Geoff Wood

"IS" wrote in message news:yJLPa.138

I have done some recording with Cool Edit and didn't feel like it had a

good
quality reverb. It could be just an inexperience on my behalf but it

sounded
too 'trebly'.

You referring to a built-in CEP reverb ? Cool Edit has access to all the
same DX reverbs that any windows app has. And the VST ones with a 'wrapper'
.. You should be able to find something better with ease.

What I was suggesting was that you should not feel the need to change to
Protools 'just because'. There are many apps out there can do what you want
as well or better than CoolEdit, or Protools. And with *your choice8 of
hardware (also lots available).

geoff

Mike Rivers

In article m writes:

Would someone please advice me if I should spend my money on the MBox with
ProTools le, or Cool Edit Pro plus a Mic Pre amp?

Like the shrink said, "What do YOU think?" At the moment, Cool Edit
Pro is going through a corporate transistion to Adobe, and while
probably nothing but the name will change, at least for a while, there
are bound to be some changes over the next year which may or may not
affect your life with the program.

The best reason to go the M-Box route is to create project files that
are compatable with probalby the most popular format today. If you're
a collaborator, or if you're likely to want to take your project into
a professional studio for some work or mixing, there's a time
advantage to using ProTools - the studio is pretty sure to have
ProTools and you can load and go without converting or important
anything.

You neglected to mention what you were using as a sound card. The
performance of the M-Box from end to end (mic in to playback output)
is fairly well documented by now. While nobody thinks it's up to the
performance of the finest preamps and converters, it's generally
accepted as being fine for general work. By going the "system" route,
you can improve your sound incrementally - getting a better sound
card, getting a better preamp, getting a better A/D converter, using
different software - as you see and hear the need. You don't have
everything in a single box. So the Cool Edit route offers you more
flexibility.

It's your decision - how much space do you want to commit to this, how
much time, and how long do you think it will be before, either because
of what you hear or what you read, you'll want to upgrade?

The big thing I don't like about ProTools, if this is true, is that the
sales man (Guitar Center) told me that I can only use the MBox with it. That
I can not use any other pre amp.

This is true - only the M-Box will talk to the software, and vice
versa. You can use a different preamp between your microphone and the
M-Box line input, or a different preamp and A/D converter between your
mic and the M-Box digital input. I don't think that you can use
the M-Box with any other software but ProTools, but I'm not sure of
that.

Plus I can only record two tracks at a time.
With Cool Edit Pro I can use any preamp.

I get the sense that you don't quite grasp the whole picture. There's
more to it than a preamp and a program. Perhaps what you're calling a
"preamp" is what the rest of us call a computer audio I/O interface.
These can range from a simple stereo in/out device that needs an
outboard mic preamp to amplifier the microphone to the required input
level of the interface to a box with 8 (or sometimes more) microphone
level inputs with gain, phantom power, and (usually) average sound.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )
Geoff Wood

"Mark T. Wieczorek" wrote in message
"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote in
:

My assessent is this: ProTools is the easiest of all the audio apps
I've used, Cool Edit Pro is a close second. Cubase/Nuendo, and Sonar
are far behind and I just find them confusing unless I re-read the
manual when I start up with them again.

Protools 'easiest ' !!! You should try SF Vegas then. Free demo on
their website.

Hmmmm. Ok I'm willing to try it. Do you have any analog experience? PT
appeals to my analog brain, I think other people w/o analog experience may
like other programs more.

Whatever. Suck it and see. In fact, suck as many as you can and see. Don't
believe what other people tell you, especially salesmen. Especially from
GC.

geoff

Mark T. Wieczorek

Whatever. Suck it and see. In fact, suck as many as you can and see.
Don't believe what other people tell you, especially salesmen.
Especially from GC.

Uh.. Duh.

Yes lots. I'm not trying to emulate what I already had.

I'm sensing a certain anger here. I'm not trying to emulate anything
either, I'm just saying PT makes a lot of sense to someone who's sat in
front of a board.

Regards,
Mark

--
http://www.marktaw.com/

http://www.prosoundreview.com/
User reviews of pro audio gear
Mark T. Wieczorek

"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote in
:

I get angry at the Protool hegemony, and the apparent readiness of
people to see it's high profile and disregard other possibilities
that may just possibly be less expensive, more 'open; and even
possibly 'better'.

Dude, I said that I'd tried other apps and liked ProTools better, so you're
railing against an imaginary enemy in this case. I think you're the one
that needs to keep an open mind with regards to ProTools, and not the other
way around.

I actively use ProTools, Cool Edit and Cubase, and I happen to prefer
ProTools. I've tried Sonar & a couple of other apps, and still prefer
ProTools. I also said I would try Vegas on your recommendaion. How is that
not keeping an open mind?

That's me out - I'm heading off for holidays as of now.

Good luck - keep and open mind and don't believe anybody implicitly
who wants to sell you something.

I never said I believed anyone who wanted to sell me something. You've got
your own trip going on there - obviously there are issues that you're
taking out on this conversation. Nowhere did I say I liked ProTools because
of sales or peer pressure. I explicitely said that I liked it better than
the other apps out there and that I had tried several of them.

I'm glad you're going on vacation, because that means we can end this
conversation. Either way, don't expect any more replies from me.

Regards,
Mark

--
http://www.marktaw.com/

http://www.prosoundreview.com/
User reviews of pro audio gear
Neil Gould

"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote:

"IS" wrote in message news:yJLPa.138

I have done some recording with Cool Edit and didn't
feel like it had a good quality reverb. It could be just
an inexperience on my behalf but it sounded too 'trebly'.

You referring to a built-in CEP reverb ? Cool Edit has access
to all the same DX reverbs that any windows app has. And the
VST ones with a 'wrapper'. You should be able to find something
better with ease.

IMO, one misconception about CEP is that it is limited to what you can
"plug in". For example, I find CEP's reverb options to be the most robust
of any I've seen. CEP offers direct access to the basic parameters of its
effects. Yes, you have to dive in and start learning how the various
modules work, but once you do, there is very little that can't be
contolled and built to sound however you'd like. And, you can save your
work as a preset for later recall and modification. If you love audio, as
opposed to knob-twisting, there's little not to love about CEP.

Neil

Bob Cain

IS wrote:

Neil,

I've been working on CEP today and when I do a copypaste I always get
little 'click' sounds that almost sound like old LP scratches.
No matter what I do I can't get rid of them. I get them on the front and
back (I'm not sure of correct terms) of the paste.

Look in Options-Settings-Data for checkboxes that control
"smooth delete and cut boundries" and another for "smooth
all edit boundries." That may help.

Adobe has purchased Cool Edit Pro from Syntrillium and is
renaming it Audition. I think this portends good things.
The old ownership was showing serious loss of interest in
their own product. There is a new forum for Audition users
at:

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/[email protected]

It is still a baby and will probably remain so until they
shut down the old forum (soon I think) which is in the death
throes of petulance and denial from a vocal few Syntophants
with lotsa posting stars below their names. It looks to be
be more business like and delivery oriented and less cute
than the cartoon BBS Syntrillium was using which really
taxed their server and begged for a broadband connection for
usability. It will be acessable soon as a usenet newsgroup
which particularly suits me.

So come on over there and help bring it to life with
Audition questions and answers.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
IS

Thanks to both of you.
This has made a world of difference for me.
And may result in me not getting Pro Tools.
I also took a check mark out where it said: Smooth all boundaries by cross
fading.
It was on 3 ms.
And yes, you will definitely see me in the Audition news groups.

Thanks.

IS.

Follow Bob Cain's advice. To augment what he wrote, those clicks are due
to ends of your edits not falling on zero crossing points. The smoothing
options correct this. There is also an option to force zero crossings in
edits, but that would take some understanding to get right, as artifacts
could be every bit as annoying as the clicks.

I'm not suggesting that CEP / Audition is the tool for everyone. It's a
particularly good tool for those who prefer to deal with audio via the
fundamental aspects of sound, rather than from convenience features like
sliders or knobs. With enough work, you can configure CEP / Audition to be
'convenient', but I'd really suggest that at a minimum you read the
excellent manual thoroughly to get a grounding in digital audio and the
CEP tool set.

Regards,

Neil

Neil Gould

Hi,

"IS" wrote:
Neil,

I've been working on CEP today and when I do a copypaste I always get
little 'click' sounds that almost sound like old LP scratches.
No matter what I do I can't get rid of them. I get them on the front and
back (I'm not sure of correct terms) of the paste.
I've tried to analyze it and the only way I can get rid of them is to

delete
past them, in other words highlight in front and right behind and delete

it.
How ever I loose notes (of my playing) by doing this.

It's things like these that I was hoping ProTools would be better about.

[...]

Thomas Bishop

"IS" wrote in message
I would like to ask if there is a way, in CEP, to grab the Selection

Cursor
or the thing that moves across the screen when it's playing, and somehow

let
it move with the mouse?
Sometimes when I've zoomed in to a very small area and a split second

takes
up the whole work area it moves at an 'impossible to follow' speed.

Why would you want to do that? I don't think you can do it. You mean the
solid white line, not the dotted one?

Richard Crowley

"IS" wrote ...
I would like to ask if there is a way, in CEP, to grab
the Selection Cursor or the thing that moves across
the screen when it's playing, and somehow let
it move with the mouse?
Sometimes when I've zoomed in to a very small area
and a split second takes up the whole work area it
moves at an 'impossible to follow' speed.

"Thomas Bishop" wrote ...
Why would you want to do that? I don't think you can do it.
You mean the solid white line, not the dotted one?

IOW, he wants to "scrub".

Many NLE video systems "scrub" audio by playing each 1/30
second "clip" as you drag the cursor along the timeline. At first,
I thought it was pretty silly until I started using it.

Now that Adboe owns it, maybe they will import that feature
from Premiere.

Arny Krueger

"IS" wrote in message
news
I would like to ask if there is a way, in CEP, to grab the Selection

Cursor
or the thing that moves across the screen when it's playing, and somehow

let
it move with the mouse?

When you're not in play mode (my preferred mode for editing is in stopped
mode) the selection cursor is positioned by putting the mouse some place and
clicking it.

Sometimes when I've zoomed in to a very small area and a split second

takes
up the whole work area it moves at an 'impossible to follow' speed.

As you may know, Cool Edit allows magnifying and editing at the individual
sample level. There's no way to make sense of music playing at that level of
magnification. If you want to edit at high levels of magnification,
basically you have to learn how to edit visually. Music, speech and other
audio signals have recognizable patterns at several different levels. If you
can exploit that it opens the door to a lot of speed and power.

As I mentioned lately, I Edit extensively in Cool Edit, but I do so almost
entirely visually. I only listen to find out where to start editing, or to
audition finished edits. To me the real power of CE is the way it
facilitates visual editing. No way do I want to wait for some change to be
applied to a selection in real time. That's fantastically old-fashioned,
like waiting for a tape to rewind!

Bob Cain

IS wrote:

I would like to ask if there is a way, in CEP, to grab the Selection Cursor
or the thing that moves across the screen when it's playing, and somehow let
it move with the mouse?

'Fraid not. I think that's called scrubbing and Audition
(hard time getting used to that) won't do it.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
IS

Because that way I can cut, paste, edit, basically just do things at much
greater detail.
I can listen to exactly where something, like a pop, starts and can work
from there.
I will follow Arny's advice and try to get used to the visual.
I thought this was possible in ProTools. But perhaps I'm wrong.

Thanks.

IS.

Why would you want to do that?

Bob Cain

IS wrote:

Because that way I can cut, paste, edit, basically just do things at much
greater detail.
I can listen to exactly where something, like a pop, starts and can work
from there.
I will follow Arny's advice and try to get used to the visual.
I thought this was possible in ProTools. But perhaps I'm wrong.

Thanks.

It's a poor substitute but what you can do is move the
cursor (as opposed to the white position indicator) while it
is playing and when you hit the start button it will restart
from where you have moved it.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Lorin David Schultz

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

This is true - only the M-Box will talk to the software, and vice
versa. You can use a different preamp between your microphone and the
M-Box line input, or a different preamp and A/D converter between your
mic and the M-Box digital input.

Right. There seems to be some confused thinking around the Mbox. It
does have to be connected for Pro Tools to work (think of it as a
dongle), but that doesn't necessarily limit your I/O options. It has
S/PDIF I/O, so you can use whatever converters you want. You can also
obviously plug in whatever preamp you want, either through the Mbox's
line inputs or an external converter.

That said, I was pleasantly surprised by the built-in preamps. I had no
intention of ever using them when I bought the Mbox myself (not because
I didn't trust them, just because mic pres weren't part of the planned
use for my system), but a situation arose recently in which using the
built-in pres was a really convenient solution. Turns out they sounded
better than just "fine." I was pleased.

I don't think that you can use
the M-Box with any other software but ProTools, but I'm not sure of
that.

You can use it with any other software too. There are both traditional
wave drivers (for typical two channel sound card emulation) and ASIO
drivers available from Digidesign.

--
"I got into audio because I like pushing buttons...
...never figured on all this freakin' wire!"

Chad

What about Vegas Video? WHat's your opinion on that?

Chad
Lorin David Schultz

"IS" wrote in message
.com...

I thought this was possible in ProTools. But perhaps I'm wrong.

It is possible in Pro Tools. It's called scrubbing.

--
"I got into audio because I like pushing buttons...
...never figured on all this freakin' wire!"
- Lorin David Schultz

Arny Krueger

"Lorin David Schultz" wrote in message

"IS" wrote in message
.com...

I thought this was possible in ProTools. But perhaps I'm wrong.

It is possible in Pro Tools. It's called scrubbing.

I've always wondered why people would bother with scrubbing if they could
accurately and precisely edit waveforms. The only answers I can come up with
are "custom" and "habit'.

P Stamler

I've always wondered why people would bother with scrubbing if they could
accurately and precisely edit waveforms. The only answers I can come up with
are "custom" and "habit'.

Once in a while I still find myself needing to do it, to tease out a sound in a
dense tangle of other sounds, one that is well-nigh invisible on the screen,
even using spectral viewing. Not often -- maybe once or twice a year -- but it
still comes in handy.

Peace,
Paul
Geoff Wood

"Chad" wrote in message
What about Vegas Video? WHat's your opinion on that?

Now just called 'Vegas' . Their marketing dudes took a long time to figure
that the 'Video' tended to make audio types think it was not a
fully-equipped preeminent straight DAW app *as well* as the video part.

geoff

www.HassanAnsari.com - Teen Prodigy

Get Adobe Audition, it's a bigger, better version of Cool Edit Pro.
Protools sucks....too confusing, too many problems. You're better off
saving up some money and buying an m-audio interface and a nice little
preamp...or a preamp built into the interface. You'll save a whole lot
of time and a bottle of Motrin. Once you get Protools running the way
it should, it's pretty good, but I don't really find it any better than
Adobe Audition or Cool Edit Pro. They both get the job done, Protools
just does it the hard way.

Sundogaudio

As a long time user of Cool Edit (and now Audittion), I'd have to say that
while Pro Tools has become the standard for pro studios, Audition is far ansd
away the better program for ME. Since the early pro tool days (anyone rememner
Session 8?) i had always shied away from the hardware they stick you with.
Nothing wrong with it per se, but nothing that I can't get elsewhere. I guess I
personaly just dont care for the feature set Digi sticks you with, just to use
the software, which doesnt do anything more that AA. Your milage may vary.
Bottom line, if you need total compatibility pro tools has it. If anyone ever
makes me use pro tools to get a gig, I'll but an Mbox thing and have it. Good
Luck!
Jer sundog audio, chicago
Ty Ford

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 02:07:07 -0500, www.HassanAnsari.com - Teen Prodigy wrote
(in article .com):

Get Adobe Audition, it's a bigger, better version of Cool Edit Pro.
Protools sucks....too confusing, too many problems. You're better off
saving up some money and buying an m-audio interface and a nice little
preamp...or a preamp built into the interface. You'll save a whole lot
of time and a bottle of Motrin. Once you get Protools running the way
it should, it's pretty good, but I don't really find it any better than
Adobe Audition or Cool Edit Pro. They both get the job done, Protools
just does it the hard way.

A lot of people hate what they don't understand, and won't take the time to
learn. Pro Tools is a very powerful software. I run it daily on two Macs and
a Ti Book.

Hope you don't mind, but I'll remain in disagreement with your position.

Smiles,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Truth

Get Adobe Audition, it's a bigger, better version of Cool Edit Pro.
Protools sucks....too confusing, too many problems.

WaveLab.

Sugarite

Get Adobe Audition, it's a bigger, better version of Cool Edit Pro.
Protools sucks....too confusing, too many problems. You're better off
saving up some money and buying an m-audio interface and a nice little
preamp...or a preamp built into the interface. You'll save a whole lot
of time and a bottle of Motrin. Once you get Protools running the way
it should, it's pretty good, but I don't really find it any better than
Adobe Audition or Cool Edit Pro. They both get the job done, Protools
just does it the hard way.

A lot of people hate what they don't understand, and won't take the time

learn. Pro Tools is a very powerful software.

Agreed. There are reasons to use other programs, but most people who are
biased against Protools have no idea about its advanced features that make
it invaluable to so many. $5 says this pilgrim thinks playlisting is a
feature that lets you play songs in a specified order...