Edwin Hurwitz

Default Refurbishing Small advents

I have a pair of small Advents from the 70s. They kept blowing tweeters,
so I am guessing that the crossovers have failed. I am not overly
interested in keeping them stock, so I was wondering if anyone had any
suggestions about replacing the crossovers and tweeters. I emailed
Madisound about it and they said if I knew the crossover frequency they
could suggest components, but I have no idea how high the woofers go.

Any ideas?
TIA
Edwin
PS These would not be my main speakers. I have Paradigms, B&Ws, Tannoys
and JBLs that I use on a regular basis. They do have sentimental value,
so I thought it would be nice just to get them going in some capacity.
Edwin Hurwitz

Thanks for the reply! It happened with several different amps all of
which have been used with other speakers with no problems.

All the best,
Edwin

In article ,
"James Lehman" wrote:

Usually, there is a capacitor in series with a tweeter. If that blows up,
the tweeter is no longer in the circuit. I think you might want to check the
amp you are using to power the speakers. If you are clipping, you will keep
frying tweeters.

James. )

Edwin Hurwitz wrote:
Thanks for the reply! It happened with several different amps all of
which have been used with other speakers with no problems.

This is a bit of a reach, but have you checked the series capacitor
to see whether it hasn't failed shorted. Open-circuit is the usual
failure mode for electrolytics, but I can think of a way an electro
could fail short-circuit. That'd eat your tweeter big-time.

Francois.

Ben Bradley

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 16:38:03 -0600, Edwin Hurwitz
wrote:

Thanks for the reply! It happened with several different amps all of
which have been used with other speakers with no problems.

In that case it's likely that the capacitor in series with the
tweeter has shorted, perhaps (depending on the crossover design)
putting the tweeter directly across the amplifier terminals. A few
watts of power that normally only goes to the woofer would also be
going to the tweeter, overheating it and making it burn out after a
short amount of time.
But it seems unlikely that the same thing would happen to both
crossovers. Or perhaps there was a bad run of capacitors that shorted
out well below their rated voltage.
Check out the crossovers and see what might be wrong. It would be
easier to replace one component in each crossover than to design
and/or make new crossovers.

All the best,
Edwin