Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] earcandy07@gmail.com is offline

Default onyx mixers vs. interfaces

I have heard and read a fair share of complaints about a high-pitched
wine in Mackie's onyx interfaces, and sure enough when I picked up a
satellite and put my ksm44 through it I heard it loud and clear. I
love the quality of the onyx pres for the money, and the whine is only
an issue at high gain levels. Does anyone know if this whine is also
present in the mixers? Also, has anyone had any problems with the onyx
mixer/firewire card combo for recording? Thanks.

~Matt
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Feb 20, 6:22 pm, wrote:

I have heard and read a fair share of complaints about a high-pitched
wine in Mackie's onyx interfaces, and sure enough when I picked up a
satellite and put my ksm44 through it I heard it loud and clear.

The Satellite is the exception. The Onyx mixer with the Firewire card,
and the Onyx 400F and 1200F interfaces don't have this problem.

Also, has anyone had any problems with the onyx
mixer/firewire card combo for recording?

There's always some system that has compatibility issues, but if
everything works, it will continue to work. Note that Mackie doesn't
have a Vista driver for the Onyx mixer Firewire card yet, and no
projected release date. If you'll be using it with the latest Mac OS
or Windows XP, you'll be fine.

Recording with the Onyx mixer and Firewire is straightforward and it
works fine. Overdubbing, if you have to do it, can get nasty because
there is only one stereo return to the mixer and it's hard wired to
the monitor section. You can get a mix of the input source and
playback from the computer to the mixer's headphone and control room
outputs, but if you're using an Aux Send to feed headphones in the
studio, you can't easily get there.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Meindert Sprang Meindert Sprang is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
There's always some system that has compatibility issues, but if
everything works, it will continue to work. Note that Mackie doesn't
have a Vista driver for the Onyx mixer Firewire card yet, and no
projected release date.

XP and Vista (32bit) use the same driver model (WDM) so drivers for XP work
in Vista too. The exception is Vista Pro, which is a 64 bit OS requiring
special drivers.

Meindert

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Feb 21, 2:28 am, "Meindert Sprang"
wrote:

XP and Vista (32bit) use the same driver model (WDM) so drivers for XP work
in Vista too. The exception is Vista Pro, which is a 64 bit OS requiring
special drivers.

OK, they YOU can help him out when he buys one and it doesn't work.

If you're using it with a program that's happy with WDM drivers, then
it might work. But the benefit of using a Mackie mixer with the
Firewire card is to capture the inputs on a multitrack recording
program. These days you want to use ASIO drivers for that.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

XP and Vista (32bit) use the same driver model (WDM) so drivers for XP

work
in Vista too. The exception is Vista Pro, which is a 64 bit OS requiring
special drivers.

OK, they YOU can help him out when he buys one and it doesn't work.

If you're using it with a program that's happy with WDM drivers, then
it might work. But the benefit of using a Mackie mixer with the
Firewire card is to capture the inputs on a multitrack recording
program. These days you want to use ASIO drivers for that.

AFAIK an ASIO driver also complies with WDM.

Meindert

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] earcandy07@gmail.com is offline

I'm running OSX 10.4.9 so no I'm not too worried about that. Thanks
for the advice.

wrote:

XP and Vista (32bit) use the same driver model (WDM) so drivers for XP

work
in Vista too. The exception is Vista Pro, which is a 64 bit OS requiring
special drivers.

OK, they YOU can help him out when he buys one and it doesn't work.

If you're using it with a program that's happy with WDM drivers, then
it might work. But the benefit of using a Mackie mixer with the
Firewire card is to capture the inputs on a multitrack recording
program. These days you want to use ASIO drivers for that.

AFAIK an ASIO driver also complies with WDM.

Meindert

audio interfaces and mixers Adam Pro Audio 6 May 31st 07 10:06 PM
FS:Mackie 1220 Onyx Mixers denovo Pro Audio 0 August 28th 06 07:35 PM
Kevin Eubanks endorsement of Onyx mixers [email protected] Pro Audio 14 June 4th 05 04:38 PM
Onyx Mixers Nobody Pro Audio 8 June 3rd 04 04:24 AM
Onyx Mixers Nobody Pro Audio 0 June 2nd 04 06:40 PM