Patty Winter

Default U.S. car radio with LW or SW bands?

My cherished Blaupunkt Monterey 23 SQR is finally giving up the
ghost after 15 years. (Well, I've had the car for 15 years, but
it was three years old when I got it, so the radio is actually
18 years old.)

As a definite radio nerd, I've really enjoyed having access to
the longwave AM band (150-285 KHz). There aren't many non-
directional beacons left in northern California any more, but
I heard a few during a trip to Yosemite a couple of weeks ago.
I've also heard GWEN and DGPS stations over the years.

Anyway...the microswitches in the six pushbuttons for the radio
are giving out; a couple of the presets hardly work at all any
more. The folks who usually fix my radios said that Blaupunkt
doesn't use the same switches any more (heck, they probably
don't even use mechanical switches any more!), so the only way
to fix this radio would be to find another Monterey or compatible
Blaupunkt from that era and cannibalize it. However, I figure
that the microswitches from any radio that old will probably be
on the verge of giving out themselves, so it hardly seems worth
the effort.

I called Blaupunkt, and they don't have any current models for
the U.S. that cover anything but the standard AM and FM bands.
I tried a Google search and found some postings from one of
these groups mentioning Becker multiband car radios, but I
visited their web site and they no longer sell radios, only
amplifiers and speakers.

So...do I have to limit myself to ordinary AM and FM stations
henceforth, or is there some DIN-sized radio I've overlooked
that will also give me some more interesting bands?

Thanks!
Patty

Tony Hwang

Patty Winter wrote:

[...]

Hi,
Worth trying eBay for another working radio.
Tony
oan

I ordered a sony xr ca 640 to a friend who is in Singapore fo a
business visit. It has SW and MW but do not have a LW band. It is
around 150 dollars. There is a XR 620 too, with almost same
spesifications in tuner but, 640 has the ability for a CD player to be
added. Sony's car receivers with LW band does not have SW bans. So, if
you'll buy a sony, you will choose either one with LW or with SW band.
Regards, oan
(Patty Winter) wrote in message ...
[...]

rayionews not

"Patty Winter" wrote in message

My cherished Blaupunkt Monterey 23 SQR is finally giving up the
ghost after 15 years. (Well, I've had the car for 15 years, but
it was three years old when I got it, so the radio is actually
18 years old.)

Shortwave car radios are plentiful overseas. Just about every
car in the Middle East has one! If you know anyone serving
in Iraq they can probably find one for a few $$$ at the bazar
and ship it back here. I was in Saudi and Kuwait10 yrs ago
and literally saw stacks of shortwave car radios pulled from
junkers going for about US $5 in the bazar. (flea markets)
Mostly Phillips and Sony's. The don't sell them in the USA
as there's no market for them as all USA wants is AM/FM.

See http://www.durhamradio.com/shortwave-sony.htm#620

ken

Try Sony Canada.
Patty Winter

Thanks to everyone for the pointers, especially about the Sony
car radios. I don't know anyone who's serving in the Middle
East, but it sounds like I can find those Sony models in Canada,
and the shipping charges should be much less from there!

Patty

Gary

[...]

You might try:
http://www.swstereo.com/Products/Becker/mexico2340.htm
Al Patrick

There was a company on the net that sold Sony automobile radios with
MW/FM/SW. It had a small gap on each end and skipped from 9.0 to 9.5
MHz. I got a Sony XR-3750 and have enjoyed it very much. They probably
have some newer models. I've had it quite some time.

Sony does not offer these in the US. Don't know why. You can get them
on EBay or order off the net. The company I'm trying to think of had an
English sounding name but with a slightly different spelling and had
some excellent reports of service.

If I can locate it I'll post it. Otherwise, just do a search for Sony &
XR and you'll probably be busy for a while sorting through them. :-)

Al

====================

Gary wrote:

You might try: http://www.swstereo.com/Products/Becker/mexico2340.htm

oan

I have just made a sony xr ca620x installed to my car which is a
volkswagen polo automatic . I had a blaupunkt before that and it had a
strong noice coming from the ignition and pumps(?). I had tried to
solve this problem for a very long time. Visited, called and e-mailed
vw and blaupunkt in vain. I could not solve this noise problem. I use
MW for BBC world service in 1323 and VOA in 1260 and 792 kHz in
Istanbul. My new sony has the same problem in MW but, suprisingly I
have much less noise on shortwaves which does not bother me at all. I
haven't had much time yet to estimate my car radios sensitivity - I
listened to some weak stations from almost every band from 60 m to 16
m tonight-. It seems as sensitive as my Sony icf 7600D, a little less
selective then 7600D. I am very happy with my new car radio so far.
Voice of Rusiia's jazz hour was marvellous at 22:00 in 31 m band. I
strongly suggest this 620x to anyone who likes to listen to sw
broadcasts while driving.
regards, oan.
Al Patrick

Be sure you hood and trunk are grounded well to the main body of the
auto. This is usually done with a short piece of flexible copper web,
well secured at each end.

You should be able to tell the difference in ignition noise and
alternator noise, the alternator noise is more of a whine but with
varying pitch as the engine revs up. If it is ignition, you can get
resistor plugs which are supposed to help. There is also supposed to be
a resistor that can be installed for the alternator whine.

It is often VERY difficult to solve. I've heard of people purchasing a
car based on how quite the radio is on MW / AM. You'd be surprised the
differences in this on new cars of the same make, model, etc.

Al

===============

oan wrote:

[...]

oan

Thank you Al Patrick for your nice reply:

Be sure you hood and trunk are grounded well to the main body of the
auto. This is usually done with a short piece of flexible copper web,
well secured at each end.

I have already checked it. It is grounded quite firm with a very thick
cable.

You should be able to tell the difference in ignition noise and
alternator noise, the alternator noise is more of a whine but with
varying pitch as the engine revs up. If it is ignition, you can get
resistor plugs which are supposed to help. There is also supposed to be
a resistor that can be installed for the alternator whine.

noise is coming from ignition and there is another continious noise i
couldn't find the origin. There is somthing the technicians call
"brain" here in Istanbul, I don't know what is it called in English.
It seems that the noise is coming from that part. by the way,
alternator already has a resistor.

It is often VERY difficult to solve. I've heard of people purchasing a
car based on how quite the radio is on MW / AM. You'd be surprised the
differences in this on new cars of the same make, model, etc.

I learned it iss very difficult by my own experience. I tried VW polo
and golf cars and produced in 2000 and 1999, some has enormous noise,
some has a little and some has no noise at all. All with their
original blaupunkt radios. Impossible to believe. And I know by heart,
I will test it's radio's MW and LW band reception obsessively before I
buy a new car, If I will.
Regards, oan
Al Patrick

oan wrote:

s n i p

noise is coming from ignition and there is another continious noise i
couldn't find the origin. There is somthing the technicians call
"brain" here in Istanbul, I don't know what is it called in English.
It seems that the noise is coming from that part. by the way,
alternator already has a resistor.

You may be talking about the computer control device, often just called
the "computer". Don't know how "noisy" these can be in autos. I do
know that my computer and/or monitor in the house causes LOTS of
interference on MW and some of the lower shortwave bands. Often I'll
shut the computer and monitor down if there's a program I really want to
hear and don't need the computer right then.

Hope you are able to locate - and fix - the problem.

Oh, If your problem is noise from the computer you might check to see if
there is a way to shield the computer with aluminum foil or other metal.
You might also look into shielding the radio and/or antenna lead in
wires from the interference.

Are you using resistor type ignition wires? This might help cut down on
the ignition noise.

One last thing. Are you sure it's on the INPUT side of the radio? It
might be coming in on the speaker wires, often unshielded, after it
leaves the radio and before getting to the speakers. Just a thought. I
haven't heard anyone say if they've had this problem. (The input signal
would be so much weaker that it most likely is coming in on the input
side of the radio, but who knows?)

Let us know what you found if you're able to get it fixed.

Al

Tom Betz

Quoth Al Patrick in :

You may be talking about the computer control device, often just called
the "computer". Don't know how "noisy" these can be in autos.

Pretty bad. In my 95 Buick Century, it's located behind the glove
compartment, in between the radio antenna and the radio. It REALLY messes
with weak signals.

--
"I am afeard there are few die well that die in a battle; for how can they
charitably dispose of anything when blood is their argument? Now, if these

oan

You helped me so much. I don't know how to thank you. I shielded the
computer of my car with an aluminum foil as you adviced and it helped
a great deal. I can listen to BBC WS on 1323 kHz clearly now. Thank
you very very much Al...