7.2 A/V _Preamp_

Old July 31st 17, 02:42 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Randy Yates[_2_]

Default 7.2 A/V _Preamp_

I may be a bit of a rare bird, but I'm looking for a 7.2 preamp, namely,
something that will take HDMI in, separate it into 7.2, and provide
line-level (preferably balanced) audio outputs which I will feed to a
power amp as well as the ability to select from multiple HDMI inputs
and send video to an HDMI (hopefully HDCP2.2 compatible) output.

I do not need a power amp and I'd rather not pay for one if I'm just
going to bypass it (presuming a receiver has pre-outs) to go to my
power-amp(s).

I would also appreciate a variety of 7.2 mixdown modes, e.g., to
2-channel stereo, 4-channel, etc., and the ability to route the bass
channels in a variety of ways.

I saw the NAD C501 which looks somewhat like what I'm after, but it only
has stereo two-channel audio outputs.

Any pointers or thoughts would be appreciated.
--
Randy Yates, DSP/Embedded Firmware Developer
Digital Signal Labs
Old August 5th 17, 02:54 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Randy Yates[_2_]

Wow, active group these days....

Old August 5th 17, 08:59 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor

On 5/08/2017 11:54 AM, Randy Yates wrote:
> Wow, active group these days....

Yep not too active, but probably a few like me who saw your post and
have no idea of any devices that fit your requirements. I can only say
I'd agree with your comment, "a bit of a rare bird". Probably not a big
enough market. Most people just buy a sound bar these days, or a full HT
receiver.

Trevor.

Old August 6th 17, 08:32 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
~misfit~[_3_]

Once upon a time on usenet Trevor wrote:
> On 5/08/2017 11:54 AM, Randy Yates wrote:
>> Wow, active group these days....

> Yep not too active, but probably a few like me who saw your post and
> have no idea of any devices that fit your requirements. I can only say
> I'd agree with your comment, "a bit of a rare bird". Probably not a
> big enough market. Most people just buy a sound bar these days, or a
> full HT receiver.

Yep, I read it and couldn't help with existing knowledge. 7.2 is certainly
not common and anything I could have /found/ that might have helped the OP
could also have found.
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Old August 6th 17, 12:47 PM posted to rec.audio.tech
Tim Schwartz[_2_]

Good morning all,

I'm a bit surprised by your comments. I had replied directly to the
original poster. There are several AV preamp -processors on the market,
such as the NAD T187 and M17, Arcam AV860, Rotel RSP-1582, McIntosh
MX160, MX122, MX121.

These are certainly NOT cost saving alternatives, as they are often
just as expensive as the same company's 'top end' AV receivers, but they
are available.

Regards,
Tim

Old August 7th 17, 04:42 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
~misfit~[_3_]

Once upon a time on usenet Tim Schwartz wrote:
> Good morning all,
>
> I'm a bit surprised by your comments. I had replied directly to the
> original poster. There are several AV preamp -processors on the
> market, such as the NAD T187 and M17, Arcam AV860, Rotel RSP-1582,
> McIntosh MX160, MX122, MX121.
>
> These are certainly NOT cost saving alternatives, as they are often
> just as expensive as the same company's 'top end' AV receivers, but
> they are available.
>
> Regards,
> Tim

Hi Tim. Your previous reply didn't show up in my newsreader.

Old August 8th 17, 04:15 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Randy Yates[_2_]

"~misfit~" > writes:

> Once upon a time on usenet Tim Schwartz wrote:
>> Good morning all,
>>
>> I'm a bit surprised by your comments. I had replied directly to the
>> original poster. There are several AV preamp -processors on the
>> market, such as the NAD T187 and M17, Arcam AV860, Rotel RSP-1582,
>> McIntosh MX160, MX122, MX121.
>>
>> These are certainly NOT cost saving alternatives, as they are often
>> just as expensive as the same company's 'top end' AV receivers, but
>> they are available.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Tim

> Hi Tim. Your previous reply didn't show up in my newsreader.

He emailed me directly. I didn't mind, but I think it's more beneficial
to put it out here in the group.

Thanks again, Tim, these are great suggestions.
Old August 9th 17, 04:56 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
~misfit~[_3_]

Once upon a time on usenet Randy Yates wrote:
> "~misfit~" > writes:
>
>> Once upon a time on usenet Tim Schwartz wrote:
>>> Good morning all,
>>>
>>> I'm a bit surprised by your comments. I had replied directly to the
>>> original poster. There are several AV preamp -processors on the
>>> market, such as the NAD T187 and M17, Arcam AV860, Rotel RSP-1582,
>>> McIntosh MX160, MX122, MX121.
>>>
>>> These are certainly NOT cost saving alternatives, as they are often
>>> just as expensive as the same company's 'top end' AV receivers, but
>>> they are available.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Tim

>> Hi Tim. Your previous reply didn't show up in my newsreader.

> He emailed me directly. I didn't mind, but I think it's more
> beneficial to put it out here in the group.

I agree, especially if you're then going to refer to the 'reply' in the
group.