steelerbrad123

Default Hifonics Help

I'm thinking of purchasing a Hifonics Zues 440A Amp to drive 4 Pionee
TS-A6880 6X8's (50W RMS, 220W Max). The amp is rated (conservatively)
55W RMS X 4 @ 4 ohms, 110W Max X 4. Will extra 5 watts RMS eventuall
kill these speakers, or am I being just paranoid. Also, does anyon
know anything about Hifonics products (good or bad). Than
-
steelerbrad12
CarAudioForum.com - Usenet Gateway w/over one million posts online
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/showthr...threadid=16623

Captain Howdy

:
I'm thinking of purchasing a Hifonics Zues 440A Amp to drive 4 Pioneer
TS-A6880 6X8's (50W RMS, 220W Max). The amp is rated (conservatively) @
55W RMS X 4 @ 4 ohms, 110W Max X 4. Will extra 5 watts RMS eventually
kill these speakers, or am I being just paranoid

You are just being paranoid

. Also, does anyone
know anything about Hifonics products (good or bad). Thanx

Hifonics amps are solid, above average, right up there with brands like
Soundstream, Linear Power, and US Amps.
Paul Vina

Not that Soundstream hasn't gone down the crapper or anything. SS hasn't
been the same since Donna sold the company. And as much as I like LP their
not looking too healthy. Thay only have 4 amps in their lineup now and 2 of
them have no filtering whatsoever. It's going to be hard to compete with a
basic power slab anymore, no matter how good they sound.

Paul Vina

"Captain Howdy" wrote in message
:
I'm thinking of purchasing a Hifonics Zues 440A Amp to drive 4 Pioneer
TS-A6880 6X8's (50W RMS, 220W Max). The amp is rated (conservatively) @
55W RMS X 4 @ 4 ohms, 110W Max X 4. Will extra 5 watts RMS eventually
kill these speakers, or am I being just paranoid

You are just being paranoid

Also, does anyone
know anything about Hifonics products (good or bad). Thanx

Hifonics amps are solid, above average, right up there with brands like
Soundstream, Linear Power, and US Amps.

Scott Gardner

"Basic power slab" - I like that. I have three of the old PPI
Art Series amps, and that describes them perfectly. I've always
preferred amplifiers that do nothing but amplify. I'd rather handle
the signal processing with outboard components.
Nevertheless, I have to admit that some of these "do-it-all"
amps provide a great value, and sound good doing it.

Scott Gardner

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 18:30:21 GMT, "Paul Vina"
wrote:

[...]

Paul Vina

I felt the same as you about 7 or 8 years ago. As maunfacturers have gotten
better there's no reason not to get an amp with the processing built in.
Hell, my favorite amps (Brax) have processing built in and they're
absolutely phenomenal sounding. Plus it's less things to have to wire into
the system and find space for in today's ever smaller trunks.
I love the Art series but I'm switching from JL amps to PPI PCXs because of
their on board filtering abilities. I was going to definitely add an
outboard processor, like an AC EQX (drool) I'd probably go with LP amps.
Hell, I might do it anyway.

Paul Vina

@
55W RMS X 4 @ 4 ohms, 110W Max X 4. Will extra 5 watts RMS eventually
kill these speakers, or am I being just paranoid

You are just being paranoid

Also, does anyone
know anything about Hifonics products (good or bad). Thanx

Hifonics amps are solid, above average, right up there with brands like
Soundstream, Linear Power, and US Amps.

Scott Gardner

I had an AudioControl EQX in my last installation, and was very happy
with it. For my current system, I'm looking at their new DQX. It's
equivalent to a pair of their old EQT 30-band equalizers, PLUS a
three-way 24db/octave crossover, PLUS two parametric bands of
equalization. Very sweet stuff indeed.

Scott Gardner

wrote:

[...]

Paul Vina

Oops, I meant the DQX. I gotta take typing lessons. We'll have to see
about that though. For the money it's not bad, but I don't think I want to
put it in until I get EVERYTHING else sorted out first.