Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MINe 109

Default Home theater

I'm think about theater again. I have a bit of a dilemma because my
current setup is good enough presenting a stable centered soundstage
that I don't need a center channel speaker for movies, but I'm curious
about three-channel golden age recordings. To add to the complication,
my front speakers are active, so I need a receiver with pre-outs as well
as an analog multichannel input.

Can anyone recommend: a cheap ($800) receiver; or a similarly priced
center channel that stands a chance at matching Linn Kabers?

Thanks, all!

Stephen

PS I wonder how Howard's doing:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/desti...et-cinema_x.ht
m?POE=TRVISVA
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Harry Lavo

"MINe 109" wrote in message
I'm think about theater again. I have a bit of a dilemma because my
current setup is good enough presenting a stable centered soundstage
that I don't need a center channel speaker for movies, but I'm curious
about three-channel golden age recordings. To add to the complication,
my front speakers are active, so I need a receiver with pre-outs as well
as an analog multichannel input.

Can anyone recommend: a cheap ($800) receiver; or a similarly priced
center channel that stands a chance at matching Linn Kabers?

If you just want three channels, consider Linn's match and simply add a used
preamp.....this will let you hear SACD's at their best running in direct
mode..then take the output from the player via analog. Once you decide how
MUCH you like it, you can then expand further and/or add a reciever.

Just my opinion, of course. But I do operate a 5.1 system via three analog
preamps.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MINe 109

In article ,
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

"MINe 109" wrote in message
I'm think about theater again. I have a bit of a dilemma because my
current setup is good enough presenting a stable centered soundstage
that I don't need a center channel speaker for movies, but I'm curious
about three-channel golden age recordings. To add to the complication,
my front speakers are active, so I need a receiver with pre-outs as well
as an analog multichannel input.

Can anyone recommend: a cheap ($800) receiver; or a similarly priced
center channel that stands a chance at matching Linn Kabers?

If you just want three channels, consider Linn's match and simply add a used
preamp.....this will let you hear SACD's at their best running in direct
mode..then take the output from the player via analog. Once you decide how
MUCH you like it, you can then expand further and/or add a reciever.

I had my Linn Majik de-amped some time back. It might be worth the
experiment to reactivate it. I have inexpensive rear speakers already
that could be powered that way.

Just my opinion, of course. But I do operate a 5.1 system via three analog
preamps.

They're all the same brand, IIRC, so not a multiple remote nightmare? I
don't suppose any inexpensive preamps use Linn's code?

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Harry Lavo

"MINe 109" wrote in message
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

"MINe 109" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, three identical using one remote. That's a big convenience. But I did
use three manual preamps for about two years....I placed little calibrated
tape markings on the volume controls for my low, average, and loud listening
volumes....all calibrated via the speaker calibration tones of the Sony SACD
player. So when I went to listen, I basically just set up the tone controls
for the type of music and time of day....and rarely had to change much from
there (although some SACDs and DVD-A's don't seem to follow F-R volume
conventions very well).

As to Linn's code, I doubt it unles perhaps some of the lower priced British
units use it. Possibly a "learning remote" but that may be a bit pricey.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

"MINe 109" wrote in message
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

"MINe 109" wrote in message
[...]

As I've mentioned before, I helped a friend pick out an excellent IMO, HT
receiver from Pioneer that includes a learning remote. The Pioneer
VSX-1015TX is 7.1 capable, THX certified, and 120wpcx7. Lots of decoding
capability and features. He got it from an online vendor for $399.00.

Worth a try, especially if you can get it with a money back guarantee.

http://www.nextag.com/pioneer-vsx_-_1015tx/search-html Don't know what
their return policy is, but you can read a review and the price is even
better.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Sander deWaal

"Harry Lavo" said:

As to Linn's code, I doubt it unles perhaps some of the lower priced British
units use it. Possibly a "learning remote" but that may be a bit pricey.

Linn uses (at least up to about 2002 ) the standard Philips RC5 code
for remotes.

--

- Never argue with idiots, they drag you down their level and beat you with experience. -
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MINe 109

In article ,
Sander deWaal wrote:

"Harry Lavo" said:

As to Linn's code, I doubt it unles perhaps some of the lower priced British
units use it. Possibly a "learning remote" but that may be a bit pricey.

Linn uses (at least up to about 2002 ) the standard Philips RC5 code
for remotes.

I know Arcam uses the same as Linn. Philips, so presumably Marantz?

Thanks,

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Sander deWaal

MINe 109 said:

Linn uses (at least up to about 2002 ) the standard Philips RC5 code
for remotes.

I know Arcam uses the same as Linn. Philips, so presumably Marantz?

Yup, all RC5.

--

- Never argue with idiots, they drag you down their level and beat you with experience. -

Home Theater Setup Pick General 7 January 18th 06 04:37 PM
Note to Trevor Audio Opinions 9 November 7th 05 08:45 AM
HomeToys April Emagazine Bob Hetherington Marketplace 0 April 3rd 05 06:23 AM
B&K AVR-507 Ultra THX2 Certified Home Theater Receiver Price Reduction! MARTRON Marketplace 4 November 23rd 03 02:55 AM
Home Theater "Junkyard Wars" Blipvert Audio Opinions 17 October 28th 03 07:01 PM