Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Massive Head Wound Harry

Default Just the facts ma'am.

Two weeks ago i drove 9 hrs round trip from New Hampshire to Queens, NY to
buy a pair of Hales Revelation Three loudspeakers. Last Saturday I drove to
another part of Queens to buy a Balanced Audio Technology VK 200 Power Amp.I
have this past week been scouring the high end classifieds for the
remaining components.After coming down with a good case of sticker shock
and putting what's left of my once enourmous intellect to work I see I have
to ask for some opinions.Nice you have such a place here.I have a Panasonic
RV 32 DVD player i bought refurbished for 50 dollars and has been doing its
thing for two years now. It has been my CD player too....
Lacking a Preamp I have yet to audition my new BAT amp on the Hales
speakers so I've been looking at my options.On the very cost effective side
I can probably buy a B&K Pro-10MC Sonata for a little over $200.00 and at
least run the DVD/CD player thru that and get to see what the Amp can do.I
was recently and very gently informed this DVD player can't "correctly"
play CDs which gave me big furry paws.I wondered why I thought it sounded
so good and figured a big suprise might await me on the other side of a
few thousand dollars and a Mark Levinson or a Krell CDP.I learned there are
CD players I could run right into the Amp eliminating the need to buy a
Preamp and that the CD Player quality I read about in reviews could this
way, in the used market, perhaps give me better reproduction than a Preamp
and a CD Player who's price , to match the say ML No.39 or the Krell KPS-20i
delta-9, would be just rediculous for me.So I spotted this TASCAM CD-401
MKII on ebay for $80.00 and did some research on that I supposed with the
$230.00 B&K Pro-10MC Sonata as its line stage just to see if this CD player
would do anything sonically with my CDs the DVD/CD player can't and i found
this group.
So please opine away folks and maybe by next week this thousand dollar hunk
of heavey metal on my floor can start throwing off some heat and torment my
neighbors properlyAm i missing out on a substantial amount of signal
listening to CDs on this DVD player and would this Tascam then be an
appreciable sonic upgrade and just how much more would i hear if i spent two
and a half to three and a half thousand dollars on those mythical
pieces?Thanks.

Now playing:King Crimson Live in Detroit 1971, Sailor's Tale

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW

Massive Head Wound Harry wrote:

Now playing:King Crimson Live in Detroit 1971, Sailor's Tale

Great song.... as far preamps on a CD... I use a passive I got for
$90. I don't know if your amp can be properly driven with a passive
setup.

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Massive Head Wound Harry

Default a simplification

Let me simplify.Will a TASCAM CD-401 MKII play standard CDs any better than
the Panasonic RV 32 DVD player?

"Massive Head Wound Harry" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW

"Massive Head Wound Harry" wrote in message
Let me simplify.Will a TASCAM CD-401 MKII play standard CDs any better
than
the Panasonic RV 32 DVD player?

I don't know but that Tascam is 1995 technology and was excellent in its
day. But I think you can equal it (perhaps not better) and add versatility.
Does the Panasonic do that for you... only you can decide. Let us know
what you come up with.

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Massive Head Wound Harry

"ScottW" wrote in message

"Massive Head Wound Harry" wrote in message
Let me simplify.Will a TASCAM CD-401 MKII play standard CDs any better
than
the Panasonic RV 32 DVD player?

I don't know but that Tascam is 1995 technology and was excellent in its
day. But I think you can equal it (perhaps not better) and add

versatility.
Does the Panasonic do that for you... only you can decide. Let us know
what you come up with.

ScottW

i was hoping someone may have the technical scoop on how the Panasonic DVD
player actually goes about decoding the audio cds i play as compared to a
stand alone, dedicated cd player. Short of home auditioning different CD
players to hear a difference, knowing weather the DVD player reads an audio
CD less effectively or not than a CD player would give me the information i
need to conclude i should buy a CD player.If a truely dramatic and clearly
evident gain in overall range of detail and sound quality is absolutely the
result of somelike like the BAT DK5 or a Krell KAV 300 cd than i will look
for something like that, if however that claim is seriously debateable i'd
be interested to hear. I've read statements which leave me uncertain so i
have to keep asking i guess.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW

"ScottW" wrote in message

"Massive Head Wound Harry" wrote in message
Let me simplify.Will a TASCAM CD-401 MKII play standard CDs any better
than
the Panasonic RV 32 DVD player?

I don't know but that Tascam is 1995 technology and was excellent in its
day. But I think you can equal it (perhaps not better) and add

versatility.
Does the Panasonic do that for you... only you can decide. Let us know
what you come up with.

ScottW

i was hoping someone may have the technical scoop on how the Panasonic DVD
player actually goes about decoding the audio cds i play as compared to a
stand alone, dedicated cd player.

There's lots of different DAC technologies out there and new chipsets
coming
along all the time. You can probably find the info you seek for the two
players in question. Find out what chips the DACs are based on...the
TASCAM might be their own proprietary DAC.. the Panasonic is
probably some Cirrus logic or Burr-Brown chips.
Anyway..if you find that info you can pull datasheets and application
notes to learn what you seek.

Short of home auditioning different CD
players to hear a difference,

Thats the best thing to do to make up your own mind.
Not always easy though.

knowing weather the DVD player reads an audio
CD less effectively or not than a CD player would give me the information
need to conclude i should buy a CD player.

Reads an audio CD less effectively.... I'd consider this a bogus statement.

If a truely dramatic and clearly
evident gain in overall range of detail and sound quality is absolutely
the
result of somelike like the BAT DK5 or a Krell KAV 300 cd than i will
look
for something like that, if however that claim is seriously debateable
i'd
be interested to hear.

I've heard some high end CD players and they didn't really impress me as
offerring more. My own CD player in my main system is a simple
AMC CD9. I also have a Panasonic RP-91 which sounds great on
DVD-As but I don't use on CDs often for no particular reason.

I'll probably get a universal player someday... maybe when HD DVD
gets reasonable.

I've read statements which leave me uncertain so i
have to keep asking i guess.

and you'll keep getting differing points of view.

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Massive Head Wound Harry

"ScottW" wrote in message

[...]

I spoke with the owner of Audioproz over the phone and when i mentioned i
was using a DVD player for CD's he abruptly interjected it can't read
audio cds correctly i believe was the word he used. He went on to explain
but that statement started me thinking and i wasn't paying attention . I
thought he said something like the DVDplayer is designed as far as sound
output is concerned, to read the audio trac of a DVD which is encoded
differently than an audio CD therefore while it can play the cds it is not
decoding them the same way a CD player will , i assumed he meant there was
something akin to on the fly compression or a selective reading if you will
that overlooks certain embedded data in favour of other so your output
signal is less than complete, but again that was just my guess.I read
others suggest the DVD player might actually be upsampling my cds and
giving me a better signal than any ordinary 16bit/44.1khz CD player which
doesn't upsample and so replacing it for CD playback with anythign less than
an upsampler going beyond it wouldn;t yeild any appreciable upgrade in sonic
output...

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 21:49:18 -0500, "Massive Head Wound Harry"
wrote:

Two weeks ago i drove 9 hrs round trip from New Hampshire to Queens, NY to
buy a pair of Hales Revelation Three loudspeakers. Last Saturday I drove to
another part of Queens to buy a Balanced Audio Technology VK 200 Power Amp.I
have this past week been scouring the high end classifieds for the
remaining components.After coming down with a good case of sticker shock
and putting what's left of my once enourmous intellect

I'd be more worried about my once "enourmous" bank account if I were
you. :-)
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

wrote:

Two weeks ago i drove 9 hrs round trip from New Hampshire to Queens, NY to
buy a pair of Hales Revelation Three loudspeakers. Last Saturday I drove
another part of Queens to buy a Balanced Audio Technology VK 200 Power
Amp.I
have this past week been scouring the high end classifieds for the
remaining components.After coming down with a good case of sticker shock
and putting what's left of my once enourmous intellect

I'd be more worried about my once "enourmous" bank account if I were
you. :-)

Damn right!!!
Gas is expensive.