Ben Hanson

Default Phantom damage to LDC?

I have a Rode NT1a LDC mic that has worked flawlessly for the last few
months. All of the sudden, when I start to use it, it works great for 5
minutes or so, then dies, as though unplugged. Leave it for a few minutes
and it comes back, then repeats, etc.

I am always careful not to plug/unplug the mic when phantom power is
applied. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the phantom power on
the mic pre was on, as well as the phantom power on the console itself? Is
it possible that this damaged the mic in some way?

I plugged some other mics into the mic pre and they worked fine, although
they were Beta 58's and did not require phantom power.

-Ben

Scott Dorsey

Ben Hanson wrote:
I have a Rode NT1a LDC mic that has worked flawlessly for the last few
months. All of the sudden, when I start to use it, it works great for 5
minutes or so, then dies, as though unplugged. Leave it for a few minutes
and it comes back, then repeats, etc.

DC Blocking capacitor gone leaky. Call a tech. Probably a manufacturing
defect, too.
Ben Hanson

Thanks Mike and Scott. I have been speaking with Rode about returning the
mic for repairs, they have been very helpful.

I thought you might be interested to see what they wrote about some
questions I had. Basically I was asking them what in their line-up would
compete with the TLM-103, which I have had my eye on for some time. The
CEO/Director of the company actually wrote me back with an answer, which I
thought was kind of cool. He said that they designed their NT1000 mic
specifically to compete with the TLM-103, even though the NT1000 is only
$300 vs. $900 for the TLM-103. I asked him about that and this is what he
said. Anyway I would be interested to hear what you think about his
comments.

"The NTK is a tube mic as well, so that was actually positioned to compete
with the M147, and the M149, or the C12VR, etc.
Price is not an issue here, as the NT1000 does solidly beat the TLM 103.
People ask us how we do that. It's very simple. we invest a lot of money up
front (R&D) to design the best mic possible while doing exhaustive research
on design that actually lowers manufacturing costs. If you look at the
inside of the mic, the SMT electronics are extremely clean. The brass body
is precision milled to exact specifications. There is so much room left
inside, thanks to the SMT technology, that we can design a superior internal
shock mount. And the capsule, the heart of the microphone is designed with a
similar philosophy. With the new HF-1 capsule, we spent 1.2 million US
dollars just to make the finest capsule possible that is manufactured using
the latest cutting edge computer automated machinery, along with the final
hand tensioning of the diaphragm to within a thousandth of a decimal point.
We do very high volume which also brings the cost way down in the long run.
Then we do the math up front and price it accordingly.

Regards,

Mark Ludmer
Director/CEO
RODE MICROPHONES, LLC"

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article

writes:

I have a Rode NT1a LDC mic that has worked flawlessly for the last few
months. All of the sudden, when I start to use it, it works great for 5
minutes or so, then dies, as though unplugged. Leave it for a few

minutes
and it comes back, then repeats, etc.

The mic has failed. This wouldn't be a result of plugging or
unplugging with phantom power turned on. Probably just a bad capacitor
in the mic. Contact Rode and ask how to get it fixed.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Phil Allison

"Ben Hanson"
I have a Rode NT1a LDC mic that has worked flawlessly for the last few
months. All of the sudden, when I start to use it, it works great for 5
minutes or so, then dies, as though unplugged. Leave it for a few minutes
and it comes back, then repeats, etc.

** Has anyone been singing into the mic at close range without using
adequate breath shielding??

When the diaphragm becomes contaminated, electrical leakage does as you
describe.