Kendall

Default A request for help

Hey all-

I'm doing (for my own educational purposes) a remake of Stevie Wonder's
"Superstition". I'm basically trying to learn more about my DAW software
with this exercise. I have most of the instruments done, and am ready to
put on the vocals. Only problem is, it has been WAY too long since I heard
Stevie's version, and I'd like to remind myself exactly how he sang it, so I
can make choices on how I want to interpret it. So, in light of this, I was
wondering if anybody happens to have an mp3 of this particular song they
could email to me? I would certainly appreciate it.

Address to mail to is:

kbergheim

"at"

sbcglobal

"dot"

net

Thanks a bunch!!!!
--

Kendall

Nathan West

Kendall wrote:

So, in light of this, I was
wondering if anybody happens to have an mp3 of this particular song they
could email to me? I would certainly appreciate it.

You can download it from iTunes for 99¢.

--
Nathan

"Imagine if there were no Hypothetical Situations"

Kendall

"John L Rice" wrote in message
Hi,

Please buy a commercial CD with Superstition on it like :

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...music&n=507846

Thanks and best of luck with your project..

Thanks for the tip, John, but I think you misunderstood. Perhaps you
mistook me for a young punk kid with a hard drive full of MP3s, and jumped
to a conclusion. At the moment, (and I stress that it really is at the
moment) I'm not looking to buy a Stevie Wonder CD, and I'll tell you why, to
dispel your assumptions.

Admittedly, my (rather large) CD collection currently contains no Stevie
Wonder, but not because I'm opposed to buying CDs. In fact, the reason my
collection IS fairly large, is because I enjoy collecting them. The main
reason it doesn't contain any is because I have yet to decide if I want to
collect several of his CDs, or start off with a "greatest hits" type
package.

The way I buy CDs may not be typical, and I'm rather peculiar about the way
I go about it. Some artists, I like to get just a greatest hits CD, and
call it good. Occasionally, once I buy a greatest hits type CD, I later go
and explore more of that artist's catalog, sometimes just to fill out a
particular phase of their career or for some other reason. Other artists,
I'd rather NOT get a greatest hits package, as I'd like to fully explore
their history. Once I make a decision between which route I wish to take
with any given artist, then I make my buying choices. In the case of the
latter type of artist, I usually end up buying almost their entire catalog.

Now, one of the reasons I like to collect CDs is because I like to read the
liner notes. No, actually, I LOVE to read liner notes. Perhaps this is
strange, but it is something I have always loved doing. As you might know,
liner notes aren't available in an MP3, so that is another reason I prefer
NOT to collect a hard drive full of MP3s. I assure you that when I decide
which way I'm going to collect Stevie Wonder CDs, I will be sure to put
money in Mr. Wonder's pockets. However, I have not made that decision yet.

On the contrary, until I make that decision, I'm still in the market for an
MP3 of this one particular song, and I thought that by appealing to my
fellow audio pros, someone might be able to help me out this one time. Now,
when Mike Rivers asks for help finding a simple drum machine to use as a
metronome, people try to help him out. When someone else is looking for a
schematic for some esoteric piece of gear, people try to help them out, too.
Tell me, have you never had a time in your life where you could use a little
bit of help, and someone offered to help? And, while we're at it, can you
tell me you have never bent the rules, even a tiny bit? I'll admit that I
drive faster than I should, and that is against the law. Have you never
broken any rules, and justified it to yourself?

Now, I'm not asking people to rip their entire CD collection and send me
every song they own. I'm not even asking anybody to rip the MP3 themselves.
I'm just asking that if someone HAPPENS to have that MP3 somewhere, I'd like
to be able to listen to it a few times. And, since I'm planning to buy some
Stevie Wonder CDs in the future, it isn't going to be robbing Stevie of any
revenue, and once I'm done with my little learning project, I intend to
delete it from my hard drive. Honestly.

Now, if this offends your sensibilities or your morals, I'm so sorry, that
wasn't my intent. Rather, I was hoping that someone would see that, in the
larger scheme of things, this isn't really a big deal, and they might help
me out a little bit. If you can't help with this, thanks anyway.
Hopefully, someone else CAN help, and the world will continue to revolve,
even if this rule is bent this one time. I don't condone sharing music
files in most cases, as I feel that the artists do deserve the money for
their work, and hope that if I ever release a CD that people will want to
put money in MY pocket for it. However, since I've explained that I DO
intend to eventually line Stevie's pockets, maybe someone will be willing to
bend this rule just the once. Especially if they already HAPPEN to have it
on their hard drive. I won't even ask them where they got it, or why it
happens to be there, I'll just offer them a hearty "Thanks", and be on my
way.

Someone else suggested iTunes, and I'll have to see if that is an option for
me. I haven't really looked into it, as up to now, I've felt that MP3s
weren't something I was terribly interested in. I was under the impression
that iTunes was (at first, at least) only for Macs, and that when it was
made available for PCs (as I believe it is now), that it would be an
application I would need to buy, if I wanted to buy and listen to MP3s.
Since I don't normally WANT to listen to MP3s, I hadn't really done any
investigating to see if it would be viable for me. If the app is free, I
might actually look into installing it, as there might be other times when
I'll want to listen to an MP3, and I can go buy just the one I need, and not
have to offend your morals in the process. However, if the app isn't free,
I'd rather not pay for software that I will rarely use. Doesn't seem
cost-effective.

Again, thanks for the tip, but I'm (at the moment) not going to take you up
on that. Please forgive me, for I wish to sin (if even only just a tiny
bit). I'm not even going to mention your top-posting. Oops, I guess I just
did. Sorry.

Kendall

John L Rice

"Kendall" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Kendall

"Nathan West" wrote in message
Kendall wrote:

So, in light of this, I was
wondering if anybody happens to have an mp3 of this particular song they
could email to me? I would certainly appreciate it.

You can download it from iTunes for 99¢.

Nathan, please see my reply to you in the other newsgroup I posted this in,
or, for a more thorough reply, see my reply to John Rice in this thread
here, as I cover your suggestion in there, as well.

Kendall

--
Nathan

"Imagine if there were no Hypothetical Situations"

Don Pearce

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 10:18:45 GMT, "Kendall"
wrote:

Thanks for the ten thousand word essay on why you like to rip off
other people's work.

Nobody is interested why you want it. You want it - you buy it.

Simple really,

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Steve

Yeah, chump, just buy it! Sheesh...

Steve

If you can't pay $.99 for it then you're a total asshole.

hank alrich

Kendall wrote:

until I make that decision, I'm still in the market for an
MP3 of this one particular song

And that market is still ninety-nine _cents_ @ iTunes? Your time must be
worthless to you? You wrote 150 lines of text in this repsonse alone,
one of several posts, to save less than one dollar? Do you drive two
hundred miles to grab the savings when a supermarket offers "free food"
one afternoon?

--
ha
Mike T.

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 04:47:15 GMT, "Kendall"
wrote:

Hey all-

I'm doing (for my own educational purposes) a remake of Stevie Wonder's
"Superstition". I'm basically trying to learn more about my DAW software
with this exercise. I have most of the instruments done, and am ready to
put on the vocals. Only problem is, it has been WAY too long since I heard
Stevie's version, and I'd like to remind myself exactly how he sang it, so I
can make choices on how I want to interpret it. So, in light of this, I was
wondering if anybody happens to have an mp3 of this particular song they
could email to me? I would certainly appreciate it.

Kendall,
First you have to prove to me that you're not part of the Sony legal
team ...

Mike T.

wrote:

Hey all-

I'm doing (for my own educational purposes) a remake of Stevie Wonder's
"Superstition". I'm basically trying to learn more about my DAW software
with this exercise. I have most of the instruments done, and am ready to
put on the vocals. Only problem is, it has been WAY too long since I heard
Stevie's version, and I'd like to remind myself exactly how he sang it, so I
can make choices on how I want to interpret it. So, in light of this, I was
wondering if anybody happens to have an mp3 of this particular song they
could email to me? I would certainly appreciate it.

Kendall,
First you have to prove to me that you're not part of Sony's legal
team ...

Kendall,

Your previous posts have been on topic, You have made a positive
contribution to the discussion on RAP. You should have figured out
that the folks here fall mostly into three categories on this subject:

1. Those who believe it is wrong to make copies of other peoples'
copyrighted material.

2. Those who may have mixed feelings about the current state of
copyright law, but don't wish to engage in legal battles with
multinational corporations.

3. Those who would willingly infringe the copyright of those
corporations, but who have sense enough to avoid getting caught.

That covers most of us. Your request could only be filled by someone
who doesn't fall into any of those categories.

Besides, Stevie Wonder is one of the great
musicians/composer/arrangers/producers of the 20th century. At the
risk of starting a debate, I think he ranks with Duke Ellington. Give
the man his due, buy his product.

Mike T.

p.s.: My mistake, I don't think Sony holds Mr. Stevie Wonder's
copyright. He hung onto those rights himself. Smart man!
Mike Rivers

In article writes:

Admittedly, my (rather large) CD collection currently contains no Stevie
Wonder, but not because I'm opposed to buying CDs. In fact, the reason my
collection IS fairly large, is because I enjoy collecting them.

In this instance, your desire to listen to one song is different from
establishing (or not) a Stevie Wonder section in your CD library.
There are legitimate ways to purchase a "single" now which at least
get a little money back into the hands of the rightful copyright
owners. You should take advantage of those.

when Mike Rivers asks for help finding a simple drum machine to use as a
metronome, people try to help him out. When someone else is looking for a
schematic for some esoteric piece of gear, people try to help them out, too.

Yeah, but I'm looking for advice about something I'm willing to buy.
In fact, when I was looking for a simple drum machine, someone offered
to give me one, and I gratefully accepted it. I've even used it a few
times for the application I had in mind. But I had been shopping a bit
and I couldn't find what I really wanted. In the case of a Stevie
Wonder song, you can find what you want and buy it, so just do it.
It's not like you're asking for a song from an Inuit accompanied by a
sealskin frame drum so you could create a drum sample. That's
something that someone might happily share with you.

Now, if this offends your sensibilities or your morals, I'm so sorry, that
wasn't my intent. Rather, I was hoping that someone would see that, in the
larger scheme of things, this isn't really a big deal

Actually, in the larger scheme of things, even though it only involves
a few pennies not collected by the publisher of the song, it IS a big
deal. The music industry has responded to the wants of the public for
individually selecting songs (rather than buying a whole CD for one
song) and has provided a means to do so. If you support music, you
should support this effort, presently limited and feeble as it may seem.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Leoaw3

Walmart.com has it available for 88 cents. Search under stevie wonder, then
look for the downloads available from the Talking Book album.

-lee-
Don Cooper

Just buy it. Stevie has no filler. You'll love it.
Jim Williams

"Kendall" wrote in message . com...
Hey all-

I'm doing (for my own educational purposes) a remake of Stevie Wonder's
"Superstition". I'm basically trying to learn more about my DAW software
with this exercise. I have most of the instruments done, and am ready to
put on the vocals. Only problem is, it has been WAY too long since I heard
Stevie's version, and I'd like to remind myself exactly how he sang it, so I
can make choices on how I want to interpret it. So, in light of this, I was
wondering if anybody happens to have an mp3 of this particular song they
could email to me? I would certainly appreciate it.

Address to mail to is:

kbergheim

"at"

sbcglobal

"dot"

net

Thanks a bunch!!!!

Hope you have a Hohner Clavinette, it's not an instument that can be
sampled successfully. You will also need a modified Mutron III. This
combo was used on many of Wonder's hits in the '70's and Stevie still
uses these on stage. (Yes, I am the one that works on these for him).

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Kendall

"Jim Williams" wrote in message
om...
"Kendall" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks, Jim, but I'm actually "retooling" it, with slightly different
instruments, and different "sounds" on the instruments that are the same.
Not trying to make a "soundalike", just having fun with it while I learn my
DAW software better. Just for the learning experience.

Kendall

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades