song writer

Default Getting a discount after you buy the instrument?

I just purchased a keyboard last night. Today I see that there is a 10%
discount sale tomorrow (two days after my purchase) for any purchase within
a two hour time frame.

I am somewhat miffed that the salesperson (who I trust), didn't tell me
about this. Heck, maybe he didn't know.

What do you think the odds are of me getting this 10% off of a $3,000 item
two days after I purchased the product? I can't threaten to bring it back
since they charge a 15% re-stocking fee. That would come out to be more
than the discount I am fighting for!

There is a clause on the promotional that says this 10% discount is not for
any previously purchased products. But I am going to try to get it anyway.
Maybe they can give it to me as store credit. We are talking $300.00 here!

What do you think the odds are of me getting this credit? I can always say
I have a lot more purchased to make, and if I don't get it I will take my
business elsewhere.

I am sure they salesman would be more than happy to give me the credit. It's
just the management I have to worry about.

Thanks

Rob Reedijk

song writer wrote:
[...]

It probably depends on a few things. One is does your state have
consumer laws that might protect you from this? And then the other
is what kind of store is it? In Toronto, a store like Long & McQuade
has such good customer service that they would totally make good on
something like this. Without blinking.

But then Steve's music store (the other big store)....I don't know if
they would do the honourable thing.

Rob R.
Neil Rutman

Musicians are generally a very agreeable lot (would prefer not to be
confrontational when they're stoned) and if they say no and you say "well it
couldn't hurt to try" then your done. But if you get angry, very angry that
the salesperson didn't inform you of this sale and he cost you $300 and
you're ****ED OFF!!! - you stand a better chance. They don't want a scene in
front of the other customers and you don't care about that because you're
fighting for alot of dough!

Oh, and run the other way if you're a salesman and you see me walk through
the door...

Neil R

"Rob Reedijk" wrote in message
song writer wrote:
[...]

Gareth Magennis

"Neil Rutman" wrote in message
Musicians are generally a very agreeable lot (would prefer not to be
confrontational when they're stoned) and if they say no and you say "well
it couldn't hurt to try" then your done. But if you get angry, very angry
that the salesperson didn't inform you of this sale and he cost you $300
and you're ****ED OFF!!! - you stand a better chance. They don't want a
scene in front of the other customers and you don't care about that
because you're fighting for alot of dough!

Oh, and run the other way if you're a salesman and you see me walk through
the door...

Neil R

Look, salesmen are just normal people with normal families trying their best
at a ****ty job with ****ty pay and having to deal with the occasional
arsehole who thinks that by shouting a lot and making their life a misery
they can get away with paying less money or get some sort of freebie.
Unfortunately it often works.

However there are other ways of getting good deals or satisfaction from
situations like yours that don't necessitate behaving like a total c**t. I
plead you try the more gentle approach.

Carlos Alden

song writer wrote:
I just purchased a keyboard last night. Today I see that there is a 10%
discount sale tomorrow (two days after my purchase) for any purchase
within
a two hour time frame.

I am somewhat miffed that the salesperson (who I trust), didn't tell me
about this. Heck, maybe he didn't know.

What do you think the odds are of me getting this 10% off of a $3,000
item
two days after I purchased the product?

It sounds like you know this guy and this store. I'd simply say - look,
guys, I got tricked here, and feel ripped off. How much is my goodwill
worth to you? Do you want me as a repeat customer? Would you like me to
come in and eyeball some keyboard amps in a few months, or another keyboard
in a year's time? You'll always be needing more junk, and then there's the
computer interface for recording demos.....

I make it a point to shop at my local store and develop a relationship. I
go in and bull**** with them at lunch, tell 'em how my band is doing, what
microphones work well with our odd assortments of instruments (Celtic music)
and stuff like that.

When I want to buy something, I tell them the catalogue price (Swee****er,
AMS, Full Compass, Guitar Center, etc.) I can get it for and that I'd like
them to come a bit closer if they can, anything they can do would be
appreciated, etc. etc. They do their best, and the small increase in price
I pay is well worth the goodwill and advice I get from them. This isn't
Guitar Center - these folks have been in the business for years, and know
the history of products and brand names and are legitimately able to give
good advice. (Some folks at GC can also, but my experience is that most of
them are in and out in a few years on their way to playing in a band.) They
likewise appreciate my return business and recommending them to other
musicians.

Give him a chance first, then see how much of a relationship you have with
this store. If your guy can't understand this kind of reciprocal
relationship, I'd give him notice. As a point of principal, I might even
return the keyboard and state your intention to give Swee****er a call. I
can't stand petty **** like this.

Carlos

Nathan West

However there are other ways of getting good deals or satisfaction from
situations like yours that don't necessitate behaving like a total c**t. I
plead you try the more gentle approach.

It all depends on what relationship *song writer* has with the salesman. On the
surface it doesn't look good since he failed to mention the upcoming discount.
That said I have always had more success with persuasion when it is coated with
a little honey rather than vinegar.

So I say find the *Win* for both of you guys and you will get your discount.

--
Nathan

"Imagine if there were no Hypothetical Situations"

Tommy B

Don't yell!!! Say what you want. If you don't get what you want, tell him
you will never buy anything from him or the store again, and you will tell
all your friends to do the same. He would be a fool not to return the money.
Then again there are lots of fools out there.
Tom

"song writer" wrote in message
[...]

William Sommerwerck

Four years ago I entered the Bellevue Magnolia to look at Sony's 36" 400-series
WEGA, the first of that series with line doubling (which Sony calls DRC). I knew
the manager, and wanted him to be my salesperson. Without any prompting, he told
me this model would be on sale in a few days, and he would give me the lower
price immediately.

Managers aren't salespeople, and the latter are more likely not to tell
customers about upcoming sales, to protect their comissions. (Can't blame 'em.)
Whether you were snookered depends on whether you feel the salesperson should
have warned you. If you're a regular customer and usually patronize this
salesperson, then, yes, I think he should have told you about the upcoming sale.

(Do I dare point out that it's not a good idea to buy anything immediately
before Thanksgiving, as stores are likely to have sales immediately on or
thereafter?)

I think a quiet discussion with the manager would be the best thing to do. You
might (very) subtly suggest that, if you don't get at least a $300 credit
towards future purchases, your future purchase might be made elsewhere.

I might add that I would never do business with any store that charged a 15%
restocking fee -- unless the point of such an outrageous fee was to make sure
the salesperson spent as much time with you as needed to guarantee you were
buying the right product.

Final point... Try arguing that, as you are not actually returning the item --
you're immediately re-purchasing it -- the restocking fee should not apply.

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

What do you think the odds are of me getting this 10% off of a $3,000 item
two days after I purchased the product?

There is a clause on the promotional that says this 10% discount is not for
any previously purchased products.

Sounds like an open-and-shut case to me. Did you pay full price for
the item, or did you already get it at a discount?

Marketing happens, special limited time offers are offered for special
limited times, and the most annoying are full out price reductions
where the price is lowered until the next price reduction, or rebates
that are effective for a period right after you made your purchase.

The only solution is to never buy anything until you really need it,
and then accept the price you pay as being the price and don't worry
if someone else is getting it cheaper.

What do you think the odds are of me getting this credit?

Depends on how good a customer you are. If you've spent $25,000 there
already and they know you and expect you to keep purchasing there,
they'll proably do it. In fact, if you had asked for a $300 discount
the day you bought it, they probably would have given it to you then,
too.

I can always say
I have a lot more purchased to make, and if I don't get it I will take my
business elsewhere.

What would be the advantage (to you) of taking your business
elsewhere? I assume you bought where you did because of convenience,
price, or perhaps previously doing business with them. This is a bluff
and they know it. It might cost you more to take your business
elsewhere.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
song writer

I am very happy to report that I did get the $307 credit! After telling the
managers twice that I was not informed about the upcoming sale, even though
I asked, they understood my point of view. What a relief!

On 11/25/04 9:24 AM, in article ,
"song writer" wrote:

[...]

Willie K.Yee, M.D.

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 12:48:55 GMT, song writer
wrote:

I am very happy to report that I did get the $307 credit! After telling the
managers twice that I was not informed about the upcoming sale, even though
I asked, they understood my point of view. What a relief!

So can you name names now? What establishment was willing to deal
fairly with you, even though technically they may not have had to?
Willie K. Yee, M.D. http://users.bestweb.net/~wkyee
Developer of Problem Knowledge Couplers for Psychiatry http://www.pkc.com
Webmaster and Guitarist for the Big Blue Big Band http://www.bigbluebigband.org

james of tucson

On 2004-11-25, song writer wrote:

What do you think the odds are of me getting this credit?

Depends on the retailer. Depends on their volume. Mostly, it depends
on whether losing you as a customer is at all important to them (and you
WILL never set foot in the store again, if they deny you this discount,
correct?)

I am sure they salesman would be more than happy to give me the credit. It's
just the management I have to worry about.

Also depends. Some managers know they are nothing without their
salespeople, and give discretion where it is due. Others take their
job as something akin to a prison camp guard.

If possible, I simply mail order from Zzounds. Never had a problem with
their pricing, never had a problem returning an item, and except for the
couple days remove inherent in mail order, the experience has always
been bliss. Then again, I don't expect them to care if I decide to take
my business elsewhere, any more than the Guitar Center that's a quarter
mile from my house cares that I take my business to Zzounds instead of
them for the same items! (I gave GC every chance, believe me.)

james of tucson

On 2004-11-25, Gareth Magennis wrote:

Look, salesmen are just normal people with normal families trying their best
at a ****ty job with ****ty pay and having to deal with the occasional
arsehole who thinks that by shouting a lot and making their life a misery
they can get away with paying less money or get some sort of freebie.
Unfortunately it often works.

Yes, and there's another kind of salesman who knowingly takes advantage of the fact
that he can make an extra couple of dollars by neglecting to mention
that the item you are about to purchase will be discounted by $300
tomorrow.

I plead you try the more gentle approach.

I agree, but I will never, ever assume that the salesperson, that is ANY
person selling me ANYTHING, EVER, has MY best interests in mind, knows
more about the product than I do, knows enough to be completely honest
about the product, or would be inclined to do so if he did. I worked
in sales for far too long to ever believe any of that crap again.

You can very quickly turn me cold simply by saying something that I
recognize as being parrotted back from a training program. Oh, and if
you want me to sign something, I'm going to sit down, and go over every
word of it with you. Bet you haven't read every word of the service
plan that you're trying to sell me, hmm?

james of tucson

On 2004-11-25, Mike Rivers wrote:

What would be the advantage (to you) of taking your business
elsewhere? I assume you bought where you did because of convenience,
price, or perhaps previously doing business with them. This is a bluff
and they know it. It might cost you more to take your business
elsewhere.

It costs me more, and costs instant gratification, to shop at Zzounds
(for instance) than to go to the Guitar Center that's walking distance
from my house. Still do it. Maybe if I hear they've totally changed
management or something, I'll go back.
james of tucson

On 2004-11-28, song writer wrote:

To be honest with you, I'm really tempted to invest in a Taylor guitar!
Those things are choice!

I was all set to buy a Taylor, and when I found my Larrivee, that was that.