Mike Rocha

Default Are CD-R labels safe to put on masters?

Just wondering if placing an adhesive label on high quality CD media (HHB,
etc) could somehow present problems to a duplication facility... I guess
issues could be the added weight of the label itself. Very little ink is
used on the label, only the basic documentation. The labels are also
centered properly with one of those handheld devices.

Thanks!

Roach

Troy

I recomend not putting them on master or any CDs.You can buy thermal CD
printers for around 100 to 200 dollars that will give it a great look and
not harm the data.

Stick on lables are a bad idea and a really bad idea for master copies as
over time they can creat problems and even help destroy data.Some lables
have harsh chemicals thatover time can hurt the CD.

Mike Rocha wrote in message
Just wondering if placing an adhesive label on high quality CD media (HHB,
etc) could somehow present problems to a duplication facility... I guess
issues could be the added weight of the label itself. Very little ink is
used on the label, only the basic documentation. The labels are also
centered properly with one of those handheld devices.

Thanks!

Roach

Rollasoc

When I first got my CD-writer I used to put labels on some of them. Within
a year, none of the disks with labels were playable, all the disks I'm still
using without labels are playable about 7 years later.

Never put labels on disks. You have been warned.

Rollasoc
http://www.hairthieves.com

Mike Rocha wrote in message
Just wondering if placing an adhesive label on high quality CD media

(HHB,
etc) could somehow present problems to a duplication facility... I guess
issues could be the added weight of the label itself. Very little ink is
used on the label, only the basic documentation. The labels are also
centered properly with one of those handheld devices.

Thanks!

Roach

Troy

Although inkjet CDs are better than lables,I woulden't use them for masters
either.Over time you can have problems with them also.Stick to thermal
printing or a marker.Stay away from ink on masters all together.Its fine on
copies of the master but just leave the master alone.Inkjet CDs can absorb
moisture over time and get all mushy al start to fall apart.There are
reports of this.Thermal printing is 100% safe...so thermal or
nothing!!!!!.....and use good media with proper storage and you will have no
problems.

Chel van Gennip wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 08:09:16 +0100, Troy wrote:
Mike Rocha wrote in message
Just wondering if placing an adhesive label on high quality CD media
(HHB, etc) could somehow present problems to a duplication facility...
I guess issues could be the added weight of the label itself. Very
little ink is used on the label, only the basic documentation. The
labels are also centered properly with one of those handheld devices.

I recomend not putting them on master or any CDs.You can buy thermal CD
printers for around 100 to 200 dollars that will give it a great look
and not harm the data.

Stick on lables are a bad idea and a really bad idea for master copies
as over time they can creat problems and even help destroy data.Some
lables have harsh chemicals thatover time can hurt the CD.

I recomend inkjet printable CD's with an also cheap inkjet printer. I use
a Canaon i865 with Taiyo Yuden Tuff-Coat Inkjet White printable
CD-R(PRI53315-80P). The coating gives an extra protection for the data
layer. With the printer you can put not only basic information but quite a
lot of information on the disk, including high resolution images. The
copyright notice goes perfect in a 6pt font.

Adhesive labels can hurt the data layer and introduce unbalace.

--
Chel van Gennip
Visit Serg van Gennip's site http://www.serg.vangennip.com

agent86

Chel van Gennip wrote:

I recomend inkjet printable CD's with an also cheap inkjet printer. I use
a Canaon i865 with Taiyo Yuden Tuff-Coat Inkjet White printable
CD-R(PRI53315-80P). The coating gives an extra protection for the data
layer. With the printer you can put not only basic information but quite a
lot of information on the disk, including high resolution images. The
copyright notice goes perfect in a 6pt font.

Do these use the same water soluble inks as ink jet printing on paper?

Troy

No...It is more like a wax melted onto the CD and won't harm the CD in any
way and is very durable.It is also water proof and instantly dry once
printed.We use rimage everest and prism thermal CD printers.They are very
expensive but there are small consumer models for home use made by a few
companies.The new one from Primera looks pretty cool and will print on 4
places on the CD.

agent86 wrote in message
.. .
Chel van Gennip wrote:

I recomend inkjet printable CD's with an also cheap inkjet printer. I

use
a Canaon i865 with Taiyo Yuden Tuff-Coat Inkjet White printable
CD-R(PRI53315-80P). The coating gives an extra protection for the data
layer. With the printer you can put not only basic information but quite

lot of information on the disk, including high resolution images. The
copyright notice goes perfect in a 6pt font.

Do these use the same water soluble inks as ink jet printing on paper?

Richard Crowley

Chel van Gennip wrote:
I recomend inkjet printable CD's with an also cheap
inkjet printer. I use a Canaon i865 with Taiyo Yuden
Tuff-Coat Inkjet White printable CD-R(PRI53315-80P).
The coating gives an extra protection for the data layer.
With the printer you can put not only basic information
but quite a lot of information on the disk, including high
resolution images. The copyright notice goes perfect in
a 6pt font.

agent86 wrote...
Do these use the same water soluble inks as ink jet printing
on paper?

"Troy" wrote ...
No...It is more like a wax melted onto the CD and won't harm
the CD in any way and is very durable.It is also water proof
and instantly dry once printed.We use rimage everest and prism
thermal CD printers.They are very expensive but there are small
consumer models for home use made by a few companies.The
new one from Primera looks pretty cool and will print on 4
places on the CD.

It appears that Agent86 was asking about the inkjet method
described by Chel, but Troy was answering a different branch
of the thread about thermal printing?

As a user of an Epson Stylus Photo R300 inkjet printer, the
answer to Agent86's question is, yes, it uses the same water-
soluble ink as for printing on paper.

I am interested in also getting a thermal printer and would like
to hear which models people like (or dislike), and particularly
about supplies of the printing foil rolls.

Glenn Dowdy

"Mike Rocha" wrote in message
Just wondering if placing an adhesive label on high quality CD media (HHB,
etc) could somehow present problems to a duplication facility... I guess
issues could be the added weight of the label itself. Very little ink is
used on the label, only the basic documentation. The labels are also
centered properly with one of those handheld devices.

Get this:

www.lightscribe.com

Glenn D.

Richard Kuschel

I recomend inkjet printable CD's with an also cheap inkjet printer. I

use
a Canaon i865 with Taiyo Yuden Tuff-Coat Inkjet White printable
CD-R(PRI53315-80P). The coating gives an extra protection for the data
layer. With the printer you can put not only basic information but quite

lot of information on the disk, including high resolution images. The
copyright notice goes perfect in a 6pt font.

Do these use the same water soluble inks as ink jet printing on paper?

Yes.

You need special ink jet printable discs

Richard H. Kuschel
Troy

Thats kind of neat but you need special LightScribe-enabled discs.I can see
these being a lot more expensive than non branded thermal printable CDs.But
it is a very cool idea for home one offs.I would like to see one in action.

Glenn Dowdy wrote in message

"Mike Rocha" wrote in message
Just wondering if placing an adhesive label on high quality CD media

(HHB,
etc) could somehow present problems to a duplication facility... I guess
issues could be the added weight of the label itself. Very little ink is
used on the label, only the basic documentation. The labels are also
centered properly with one of those handheld devices.

Get this:

www.lightscribe.com

Glenn D.

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

www.lightscribe.com

Are disks, drives, and software actually available yet? And at what
cost? I think not. An interesting concept, but well apart from the
question asked.

Anyone can shoot links, but unless the product is available it doesn't
solve a problem. And until the cost of "Lightscribale" media is
comprable to a disk plus a label, it will just be a cool yuppie toy
(for which we can be thankful, because that's what makes the cost
drop).

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Richard Crowley

"Troy" wrote ...
Thats kind of neat but you need special LightScribe-enabled discs.

And don't forget special drives with an additional blaster LED
also.

I can see these being a lot more expensive than non branded
thermal printable CDs. But it is a very cool idea for home one
offs. I would like to see one in action.

It is a cool idea, but too little, too expensive, too late, I fear.

agent86

Richard Crowley wrote:

It appears that Agent86 was asking about the inkjet method
described by Chel, but Troy was answering a different branch
of the thread about thermal printing?

As a user of an Epson Stylus Photo R300 inkjet printer, the
answer to Agent86's question is, yes, it uses the same water-
soluble ink as for printing on paper.

I am interested in also getting a thermal printer and would like
to hear which models people like (or dislike), and particularly
about supplies of the printing foil rolls.

Exactly. I find inkjets mostly worthless for much of anything because the
inks are not waterproof when dry (plus, the ink cartriges are just so damn
expensive, compared to laser toner). I'm still waiting for color lasers to
come down in price (for paper), but the thermal printers sound like they
have potential for CD-Rs.

agent86

Chel van Gennip wrote:

For archiving I think storage in a digital data format is more reliable
than a digital audio format.

Probably.

Furthermore DVD+R seems more reliable than
CD-R, because the datalayer is between polycarbonate disks. They promise
expected lifetimes 100 years under normal conditions,

Well, that remains to be seen. Of course, nobody reading this has a good
reason to care if they last 100 years. What I'd worry about is whether the
people making that promise were even trustworthy in general. There is some
anectdotal evidence that even pressed CDs might not be as durable as we
were initally promised they would be.

although I think
you will have to copy to a new format during this time because all formats
will become obsolete in time.

And, unfortunately, newer formats become obsolete MUCH faster than older
ones, simply because no manufacturer WANTS to build a really good CD-R or
DVD-R drive. A hundred years from now, there will STILL be Ampex & Studer
tape machines in service. Whether there will be any usable tapes might be
a different question altogether.)

So for archiving I use WAV files on DVD. With the extra space you can
archive the printwork on the same DVD. Masters for CD production can
be created from this archive DVD.

That's using the old noggin. Might still be wise to store at least two
copies in separate locations & check them every couple of years.

Glenn Dowdy

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Troy" wrote ...
Thats kind of neat but you need special LightScribe-enabled discs.

And don't forget special drives with an additional blaster LED
also.

The LightScribe enabled drives use the same laser that's used to write the
data side with.

I can see these being a lot more expensive than non branded
thermal printable CDs. But it is a very cool idea for home one
offs. I would like to see one in action.

It is a cool idea, but too little, too expensive, too late, I fear.

Media won't be that much more expensive than standard CD-Rs, and they'll
have a much better resolution.

Glenn D.

Glenn Dowdy

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article

writes:

www.lightscribe.com

Are disks, drives, and software actually available yet? And at what
cost? I think not. An interesting concept, but well apart from the
question asked.

You'll see'em soon. I've got mine, but I'm on the project team

Anyone can shoot links, but unless the product is available it doesn't
solve a problem. And until the cost of "Lightscribale" media is
comprable to a disk plus a label, it will just be a cool yuppie toy
(for which we can be thankful, because that's what makes the cost
drop).

Media pricing will be comparable to disc plus label. Additionally, it solves
the DVD+R labeling problems.

Drives will also be competitive with non-LightScribe drives.

Glenn D.

agent86

Chel van Gennip wrote:

A hundred years from now, there will STILL be Ampex &
Studer tape machines in service. Whether there will be any usable tapes
might be a different question altogether.)

I doubt both the availability of the machines and the readability of the
tapes in 20 years. Mainstream solutions like CD and DVD tend to last
a bit longer.

I have no doubt that quality tape recorders built 50 years ago will still
be functional 100 years hence. At the time these things were built, there
was no reason to believe that analog tape would not ALWAYS be the
professional standard. If you don't expect the standard media to change,
part of what makes it "Professional" is durability. That's just the way
things were done back then. Planned obsolescence is a relatively modern
concept.

Conversely, there was usually no anticipation that some of the music
created in the 60s & early 70s would be as timeless & influential as it has
turned out to be. Before the Beatles came along, popular music was just
that, "popular" Consequently, the original masters for a lot of classic
recordings have already been lost.

Troy

Glen.....how long does it take to print a full coverage image?

Is there any way to get a print sample?

I own a CD duplication business and we run 4 rimage proteges with prism
printers and one automated Everest printer.

How is the quality compaired to the prisms?.It looks kind of washed out in
the pictures on the site.

How would something like this stand up in 24hr production if it were
packaged as an automated printer only?.Any idea of copies per life of the
unit?

I know this is a lot of questions but I am very interested in new printing
technology.

--
Thanks
Troy Tremblay

Glenn Dowdy wrote in message

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article

writes:

www.lightscribe.com

Are disks, drives, and software actually available yet? And at what
cost? I think not. An interesting concept, but well apart from the
question asked.

You'll see'em soon. I've got mine, but I'm on the project team

Anyone can shoot links, but unless the product is available it doesn't
solve a problem. And until the cost of "Lightscribale" media is
comprable to a disk plus a label, it will just be a cool yuppie toy
(for which we can be thankful, because that's what makes the cost
drop).

Media pricing will be comparable to disc plus label. Additionally, it

solves
the DVD+R labeling problems.

Drives will also be competitive with non-LightScribe drives.

Glenn D.

Kurt Albershardt

agent86 wrote:
Richard Crowley wrote:

I recomend inkjet printable CD's with an also cheap inkjet printer. I use
a Canon i865 with Taiyo Yuden Tuff-Coat Inkjet White printable
CD-R(PRI53315-80P). The coating gives an extra protection for the data
layer. With the printer you can put not only basic information but quite a
lot of information on the disk, including high resolution images.

Do these use the same water soluble inks as ink jet printing on paper?

As a user of an Epson Stylus Photo R300 inkjet printer, the
answer to Agent86's question is, yes, it uses the same water-
soluble ink as for printing on paper.

Exactly. I find inkjets mostly worthless for much of anything because the
inks are not waterproof when dry

Depends on the inkjet. Some of the higher end Epsons use pigment ink.
http://www.epson.com.sg/innovations/InksUltraChrome.shtml
http://www.pictureline.com/newsletter/2004/november/inkjetcolor.html

The R800 ($399 list) can print on CDs.

(plus, the ink cartriges are just so damn
expensive, compared to laser toner).

If you're just printing on CD's they don't cost all that much. For general purpose office needs, a laser is much less expensive to own.

Richard Crowley

"Richard Crowley" wrote ...
And don't forget special drives with an additional blaster
LED also.

"Glenn Dowdy" wrote ...
The LightScribe enabled drives use the same laser that's used
to write the data side with.

http://www.lightscribe.com/howlightscribeworks.aspx
"Your LightScribe-enabled CD/DVD disc drive contains a
special laser that pumps light energy into a thin dye coating
on the label side of the disc."

Glenn Dowdy

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Richard Crowley" wrote ...
And don't forget special drives with an additional blaster
LED also.

"Glenn Dowdy" wrote ...
The LightScribe enabled drives use the same laser that's used
to write the data side with.

http://www.lightscribe.com/howlightscribeworks.aspx
"Your LightScribe-enabled CD/DVD disc drive contains a
special laser that pumps light energy into a thin dye coating
on the label side of the disc."

Trust me. It's the same laser. It's been tuned a bit differently and the
drive has special firmware, but there are only two lasers in the drive, same
as any other DVD drive.

Glenn D.

Glenn Dowdy

"Troy" wrote in message
I agree Richard ...."to little to late" ......thermal printing is the way

go.Its cheap and durable.

How does thermal work on DVDRs?

Glenn D.

agent86

Troy wrote:

Ink is still ink...unless you seal the top of the CD with a spray or CD
laminator (but they are expensive)

So, what process is used to print the top of (major label) pressed CDs?

Richard Crowley

"Troy" wrote in message
I agree Richard ...."to little to late" ......thermal printing is the way

go.Its cheap and durable.

How does thermal work on DVDRs?

Why would it be any different than on CDRs?

Richard Crowley

"agent86" wrote ...
So, what process is used to print the top of (major label)
pressed CDs?

Screen printing (aka "silk-screen") with ink/paint optimized
for printing on optical disks. Same method used to print on
T-shirts, equipment panels, and a wide variety of industrial
and consumer products.

Richard Crowley

"Glenn Dowdy" wrote ...

"Richard Crowley" wrote ...
"Richard Crowley" wrote ...
And don't forget special drives with an additional blaster
LED also.

"Glenn Dowdy" wrote ...
The LightScribe enabled drives use the same laser that's used
to write the data side with.

http://www.lightscribe.com/howlightscribeworks.aspx
"Your LightScribe-enabled CD/DVD disc drive contains a
special laser that pumps light energy into a thin dye coating
on the label side of the disc."

Trust me. It's the same laser. It's been tuned a bit differently
and the drive has special firmware, but there are only two
lasers in the drive, same as any other DVD drive.

But still requires a special drive and special disks. Even if HP
could get all drive makers to incorporate the firmware, the discs
would likely still cost more because of the extra processing
required and likely lower volume. But I would love to be shown
wrong as it is an elegant idea.

Troy

They use different types of inks such as plastic inks and UV inks.It is a
different process.Usually done by silkscreen or offset press.

agent86 wrote in message
Troy wrote:

Ink is still ink...unless you seal the top of the CD with a spray or CD
laminator (but they are expensive)

So, what process is used to print the top of (major label) pressed CDs?

Troy

I prefer printing on thermal white top DVDRs.Usually when printing DVDRs we
use the Everest printer that prints right to the center hole.It looks better
than silkscreening on pressed DVDs.It has magazine quality.

"Troy" wrote in message
I agree Richard ...."to little to late" ......thermal printing is the

way
go.Its cheap and durable.

How does thermal work on DVDRs?

Glenn D.

Troy

It actually is a little different printing on a DVDR compaired to a CDR.When
you print just black thermal on a silver top DVDR it looks a little
strange,kind of like printing black on a mirror,at least it has been with
the DVDRs I have used.We prefer to use thermal white top DVDRs and print
them full color on top.Black also looks great on the white background.

"Troy" wrote in message
I agree Richard ...."to little to late" ......thermal printing is the

way
go.Its cheap and durable.

How does thermal work on DVDRs?

Why would it be any different than on CDRs?

Richard Crowley

"Glenn Dowdy" wrote ...
How does thermal work on DVDRs?

Troy" wrote ...
It actually is a little different printing on a DVDR compaired
to a CDR.When you print just black thermal on a silver top
DVDR it looks a little strange,kind of like printing black on a
mirror,at least it has been with the DVDRs I have used.We prefer
to use thermal white top DVDRs and print them full color on
top.Black also looks great on the white background.

I guess I didn't understand the question OR the answer.
Thermal printing on "silver" disks looks the same whether they
are CDR or DVDR. Printing on white "printable" disks looks
the same whether it is a CDR or DVDR disc.

Richard Crowley

"Mike Rivers" wrote ...
If the laser arrangement is the same as a standard drive as Glenn
says, I suppose that you burn the audio side of the disk, then turn it
over and burn the label side. I'd guess that this takes longer than
printing and sticking a paper label. People don't like stuff that
makes them wait, particularly when they can't see what's happening.
That's why we have 52X CD writers, and we still have impatient users.

Not to mention that it is black&white only while you can print
full color (photographic quality, even) with inkjet, whether on
labels or directly on the disc.

CD labels Ken Bouchard General 11 May 28th 04 08:07 PM
CD labels Ken Bouchard Tech 40 May 28th 04 08:07 PM
CD labels Ken Bouchard Pro Audio 40 May 28th 04 08:07 PM
CD labels Ken Bouchard Pro Audio 0 May 23rd 04 11:14 PM
waves masters TDM vs. Native cg Pro Audio 0 December 22nd 03 06:04 AM